Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466635 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #3640 on: December 04, 2020, 06:14:39 pm »

The unemployment rate for all groups follow a similar trend pattern and rise and fall together, except for African-Americans the rate is generally about 1.7-2X greater than for whites.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/Unemployment Rate Trends
What's your point? Trump's policies lowered unemployment rates for all Americans to the lowest levels in decades and at the lowest level ever for minorities.  What's bad about that? Differences between groups were not caused by him. In any case, here are the rates by ethnicity in 2019 before Covid.  I don't know why whites aren't a separate entry.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/237917/us-unemployment-rate-by-race-and-ethnicity/

TechTalk

« Reply #3641 on: December 04, 2020, 06:18:13 pm »

What's your point?

The point was and still is...

The unemployment rate for all groups follow a similar trend pattern and rise and fall together, for African-Americans the unemployment rate is generally about 1.7-2X greater than for whites.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/Unemployment Rate Trends

https://www.usnews.com/news/2020-06-07/ap-fact-check-trump-exaggerations-on-blacks-economic-gains
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

faberryman

« Reply #3642 on: December 04, 2020, 06:24:45 pm »

Your moralizing is making me itch.  You know when you point a finger at someone else, there are three left that are pointing back at you.,  Surely, you don't want to go into how the Dutch killed millions and stole fortunes from other peoples through the centuries.  You ought to look inward and straighten out your own country's problems.  Muslims in our country can wear burkas unlike in your country.

Most rational people would read that post and ask what a) the Dutch killing millions of people and stealing fortunes through the centuries, and b) Muslim women wearing or not wearing burkas, has to do with anything Pieter said. I think we all know what logical fallacy this is by now. Except, of course, Alan. We have been going over this for the last six or eight months, and he is still not catching on. Willful ignorance?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:53:45 pm by faberryman »

TechTalk

« Reply #3643 on: December 04, 2020, 06:36:34 pm »

The other nutty retired three-star general...

This retired three-star falsely claims US soldiers died attacking a CIA facility in Germany tied to election fraud

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2020/12/01/this-retired-three-star-falsely-claims-us-soldiers-died-attacking-a-cia-facility-in-germany-tied-to-election-fraud/

It is a scenario that makes the antics of animated spy Archer seem plausible by comparison, spun by the former assistant vice chief of staff of the U.S. Air Force.

In his unfounded version of events, U.S. special operations forces died in an attack on a CIA computer facility in Germany that was hiding information about a massive, covert effort to flip votes from President Donald Trump to his opponent, Joe Biden.

But even though big Army and U.S. Army Special Operations Command have told Military Times that there was no such attack, or loss of life, retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Thomas McInerney is sticking by his claims. They became so widely distributed on social media that numerous accounts on Twitter falsely claimed that five soldiers killed in a Sinai helicopter crash were really killed in the firefight with the CIA.

McInerney, in an email to Military Times, did not offer more information regarding the sources of what he told a conspiracy-laden website over the Thanksgiving holiday. Nor did he respond to the Army statements about their falsehood.

He did, however, double down on his claims.

“President Trump won in a landslide and the Dems left so many footprints that this TREASON must be stopped!!!,” he told Military Times. “This will be the last free election we have and I predicted it on 2 Nov on the Steve Bannon Show!”

Thomas G. McInerney was once a highly respected military leader who became the Air Force assistant vice chief of staff.

But somehow, he went off the rails.

After retiring, McInerney spent more than 16 years as a military analyst for Fox News Channel, He was fired from the network in 2018, according to the Arizona Republic newspaper, after inaccurately claiming during an appearance on Fox Business Network Thursday that torture “worked on” Sen. John McCain, who endured a brutal 5 ½ years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam.

The comments about McCain were among a string of false and controversial statements made by McInerney, according to writer Jack Murphy, a Green Beret and Ranger veteran.

U.S. military officials did not mince words about the veracity of McInerney’s claims.

“The allegations are false,” a USASOC spokesman told Military Times. The command has not had a fatal incident since two soldiers died in a helicopter crash in California this August, and the most recent Special Forces combat deaths resulted from an insider attack that killed two in Afghanistan on Feb. 8.

An Army spokesman also denied this theory when reached by Military Times, describing the allegations as “definitely false.”

Real world fallout

The false claims about the Army’s role in the election put out by McInerney have gained a lot of traction. Tens of thousands of people, for instance, have since taken up the claim about the supposed role of the 305th Military Intelligence Battalion, reposting it even on college football message boards and repeatedly vandalizing the battalion’s Wikipedia page.

More at Link Above
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:51:25 pm by TechTalk »

chez

« Reply #3644 on: December 04, 2020, 06:37:48 pm »

What's your point? Trump's policies lowered unemployment rates for all Americans to the lowest levels in decades and at the lowest level ever for minorities.  What's bad about that? Differences between groups were not caused by him. In any case, here are the rates by ethnicity in 2019 before Covid.  I don't know why whites aren't a separate entry.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/237917/us-unemployment-rate-by-race-and-ethnicity/

Before taking too many bows for Chetos accomplishments...it should be mentioned that most of the industrialized world's unemployment rate has also dropped steadily over the last 4 years. Man that Trump has power that spans the entire globe.

faberryman

« Reply #3645 on: December 04, 2020, 06:44:09 pm »

Oh, stop it.  You're pulling the same thing you did with Trump.  Slobodan is talking figurately as I did.  99% is figurative speech that means practically most of them.  You know that.  Stop playing these silly word games by taking every word literally.  This is a forum, not a research paper.

I don't think I have ever heard the expression "practically most." How much is "practically most"? Sounds like it is close to, but not quite, "most". Which is what? Some? So 99% is figurative speech for "some". Amazing. You learn something new everyday.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:28:20 pm by faberryman »

chez

« Reply #3646 on: December 04, 2020, 06:46:40 pm »

Before getting too excited about what Trump did...here is the US unemployment rate for the last 10 years. Looks to me like the snowball started way before Trump was around and just continued. Best Trump could do is just stay the F*ck away and let it roll.

Oh...and that spike at the end...guess who was in charge.

faberryman

« Reply #3647 on: December 04, 2020, 06:48:31 pm »

The other nutty retired three-star general...

This retired three-star falsely claims US soldiers died attacking a CIA facility in Germany tied to election fraud

Why would the Army be attacking a CIA facility? I thought they were both on the same side. Bad intelligence? Is the thinking that the CIA wants Biden to win and the Army wants Trump to win? Maybe I should avoid trying to figure out conspiracy theories. I guess the real question is which side is Tom Cruise going to be portraying? My guess is the CIA, since that is like the IMF. For those not in the know, IMF is the acronym for Impossible Mission Force.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 07:32:58 pm by faberryman »

TechTalk

« Reply #3648 on: December 04, 2020, 06:52:58 pm »

Why would the Army be attacking a CIA facility? I thought they were both on the same side. Bad intelligence? Is the thinking that the CIA wants Biden to win and the Army wants Trump to win? Maybe I should avoid trying to figure out conspiracy theories.

He's been off the deep end for awhile now...

https://www.radio.com/connectingvets/news/retired-general-thomas-mcinerney-spreads-fake-news

That the rosy predictions he wrote in "End Game" for Iraq, Syria, and elsewhere never came to pass did not derail McInerney's Fox News career. Nor did going on air claiming that Malaysian Flight 370, which disappeared in 2014, was hijacked by terrorists and flown to Pakistan where the passengers were held hostage. The claim was made on Sean Hannity's program without a shred of evidence. The wreckage of the airplane is likely at the bottom of the sea and has not been found, but credible evidence has revealed that the pilot was likely suicidal.

In another Fox News segment McInerney claimed that the United States need to go to DEFCON 1 saying, "something is happening out there and we are asleep at the switch.” He speculated widely as to what could be happening, theorizing about different types of attacks. DEFCON 1 is America's highest level of alert, including warning that nuclear war is imminent. The U.S. military has never been on DEFCON 1 before, and during the Cuban Missile Crisis only reached DEFCON 2.

McInerney was also friends with another former member of the Pentagon's military analyst program turned Fox News commentator, Wayne Simmons. Simmons claimed to be a veteran of CIA "outside paramilitary operations." On air he would tell bizarre stories and make ridiculous claims. Some in the radio industry who had him on their shows noted he would slur his words. As was later revealed, Simmons was a fraud. He had never been in the CIA and Fox News was forced to fire him after the Department of Justice arrested and convicted him of wire fraud.

TechTalk

« Reply #3649 on: December 04, 2020, 06:56:14 pm »

And the nuts just keep on comin'

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/04/politics/trump-nominee-pentagon-martial-law/index.html

Trump Pentagon nominee spreads debunked conspiracies and tweets suggesting Trump declare martial law

President Donald Trump's nominee to become a senior Pentagon official spread debunked conspiracies on Twitter that called Trump's election loss to Joe Biden a "coup" attempt and shared tweets that suggest Trump should declare martial law.

Scott O'Grady, a former fighter pilot and Trump loyalist, repeatedly retweeted tweets that falsely stated Trump won the election in "landslide fashion" and that millions of votes were stolen from the President.

On November 25, O'Grady retweeted a tweet that said, "Trump won & Biden & his Comrades will now attempt a coup," next to a photoshopped image of Biden beside Xi Jinping, the President of China.

On December 2, he retweeted an account that shared an article that said former national security adviser Michael Flynn had shared a petition that called for martial law. He then retweeted the same account which suggested that Trump should declare martial law.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 07:00:32 pm by TechTalk »

faberryman

« Reply #3650 on: December 04, 2020, 06:58:18 pm »

The connecting link between Thomas McInerney and Wayne Simmons appears to be Fox News. What a surprise.

chez

« Reply #3651 on: December 04, 2020, 06:59:26 pm »

And the nuts just keep on comin'

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/04/politics/trump-nominee-pentagon-martial-law/index.html

Trump Pentagon nominee spreads debunked conspiracies and tweets suggesting Trump declare martial law

President Donald Trump's nominee to become a senior Pentagon official spread debunked conspiracies on Twitter that called Trump's election loss to Joe Biden a "coup" attempt and shared tweets that suggest Trump should declare martial law.

Scott O'Grady, a former fighter pilot and Trump loyalist, repeatedly retweeted tweets that falsely stated Trump won the election in "landslide fashion" and that millions of votes were stolen from the President.
On November 25, O'Grady retweeted a tweet that said, "Trump won & Biden & his Comrades will now attempt a coup," next to a photoshopped image of Biden beside Xi Jinping, the President of China.

On December 2, he retweeted an account that shared an article that said former national security adviser Michael Flynn had shared a petition that called for martial law. He then retweeted the same account which suggested that Trump should declare martial law.

Are we really talking about the USA here or is this Algeria?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3652 on: December 04, 2020, 07:09:48 pm »

Oh, stop it.  You're pulling the same thing you did with Trump.  Slobodan is talking figurately as I did.  99% is figurative speech that means practically most of them.  You know that.  Stop playing these silly word games by taking every word literally.  This is a forum, not a research paper.
Ok then:,99 percent of what you post is wrong. EVERYONE here knows that as all the posts make up a research paper trail. 😛
Meanwhile Team Trump loses again:
A judge hearing President Donald Trump's federal lawsuit seeking to overturn Democrat Joe Biden's win in Wisconsin said Friday that the president's request to “remand” the case to the GOP-controlled Legislature to pick new electors was “bizarre.”
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TechTalk

« Reply #3653 on: December 04, 2020, 07:25:29 pm »

So... masks are good for the flu,  but not COVID? I agree.

For those that are science illiterate...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2

Conclusions

Experimental and epidemiological data support community masking to reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2. The prevention benefit of masking is derived from the combination of source control and personal protection for the mask wearer. The relationship between source control and personal protection is likely complementary and possibly synergistic, so that individual benefit increases with increasing community mask use. Further research is needed to expand the evidence base for the protective effect of cloth masks and in particular to identify the combinations of materials that maximize both their blocking and filtering effectiveness, as well as fit, comfort, durability, and consumer appeal. Adopting universal masking policies can help avert future lockdowns, especially if combined with other non-pharmaceutical interventions such as social distancing, hand hygiene, and adequate ventilation.

Also...

https://www.nature.com/articles/Face masks: what the data say

The science supports that face coverings are saving lives during the coronavirus pandemic, and yet the debate trundles on. How much evidence is enough?

faberryman

« Reply #3654 on: December 04, 2020, 07:38:40 pm »

Well the electors and Congress will be voting soon and finalizing the election.  Then we can criticize Biden full time.  :)

And we will let you do that to your heart's content, unless you make comparisons between Trump and Biden. Then we'll have to get involved.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3655 on: December 04, 2020, 07:48:46 pm »

My favorite meme of 2020:

Figures it would be.  Anything you can use to stir up the sludge on the bottom of the pond is fair game, apparently.

Incidences of both regular flu and the common cold are substantially less frequent this year. This is due to all the mitigating procedures, not just mask use.

viz: handwashing, distancing, avoiding crowds, all the advice the docs have been giving us.  These techniques actually work, unlike ideology-based crap shown in your graphic.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 07:58:08 pm by Peter McLennan »

chez

« Reply #3656 on: December 04, 2020, 08:01:53 pm »

Figures it would be.  Anything you can use to stir up the sludge on the bottom of the pond is fair game, apparently.

I thought we drained the swamp.

faberryman

« Reply #3657 on: December 04, 2020, 08:05:48 pm »

My favorite meme of 2020:

Really? That's your favorite meme for 2020? I don't think I have a favorite meme. I don't do social media, so I guess I am not exposed to memes, but maybe I am. Your favorite meme seems more like a political cartoon to me. I saw a lot of funny political cartoons this year, except that I can't really remember them. I just remember looking at them and smiling.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:14:00 pm by faberryman »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3658 on: December 05, 2020, 02:45:47 am »

Your moralizing is making me itch.  You know when you point a finger at someone else, there are three left that are pointing back at you.,  Surely, you don't want to go into how the Dutch killed millions and stole fortunes from other peoples through the centuries.  You ought to look inward and straighten out your own country's problems.  Muslims in our country can wear burkas unlike in your country.. 

Burka ban and face mask laws frustrate Dutch Muslims
One year after the burka ban in the Netherlands, Muslim women are reporting increased discrimination and violence. Adding to the frustration, face masks against coronavirus have become mandatory on Dutch public transport.
https://en.qantara.de/content/islam-in-the-netherlands-burka-ban-and-face-mask-laws-frustrate-dutch-muslims
Your lack of decency in this debate makes me cringe and more whataboutism will only make that worse.

A few facts:
- I don't live in the Netherlands and even if I would it would be highly unlikely I'd be making the laws there
- I personally despise discrimination and racism and have both in my working and private life worked to ensure everybody I have influence over has a chance to participate based on their abilities and not hampered by gender, religion, skin colour, sexual preference or any other irrelevant difference
- Before pointing your finger at the Netherlands (and pointing three at yourself) the only thing I can say is that in most Western countries they are trying to avoid having police officers who
  -1- shoot to kill jogging minorities in a hoody because they might be a running burglar
  -2- choke an arrested minority person to death while three colleagues are happily watching while the four of them would have been perfectly capable to handcuff him and take him to their station for interrogation
  -3- etc. etc.
- Before moralizing the Dutch for their behaviour 100's years ago let me remind you that the current US society is based on "all immigrants", imported slaves and mostly denying any rights to the original native inhabitants.
   (but because that happened 100's years ago I won't hold it against the people who live there now)

I personally don't like "whataboutism" but your post made me decide you didn't deserve any better response than this, since apparently "whataboutism" is all you understand.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 03:09:35 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #3659 on: December 05, 2020, 03:22:18 am »

Sorry if I'm not up on South African history.  Nelson Mandela was apparently violent in an Apartheid state that had no democracy for a majority of its people, all black.  South Africa was like America before the slaves were freed 150 years ago.  So you're justifying violence in America in the 21st Century by comparison?

Your first sentence is true and his actions were justified...no question.

It would be interesting to hear a Black American's view regarding your last two sentences....
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 808   Go Up