Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Ilford Imaging bankrupt  (Read 51088 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Ilford Imaging bankrupt
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 04:18:55 pm »

Well not really, the GFS has a noticeable warm tone. For neutral tone, Canson is excellent though

I'm holding a sheet of each in my hand right now, examining them under D50 Solux illumination and it's like I said.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 04:27:25 pm »

I do not believe Canson Baryta Photographique and Ilford GFS come from the same mills in Europe.

The paper base might not, the coating is another matter.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 04:31:52 pm »

The paper base might not, the coating is another matter.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

Well, one package says manufactured in France and the other package says manufactured in Germany. I know there are very few coating mills in Europe each serving a broad clientele, and one would need to know how to interpret EU labeling regulations (which I do not), but on the face of it, they are made in different countries.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 05:04:02 pm »

Well, one package says manufactured in France and the other package says manufactured in Germany. I know there are very few coating mills in Europe each serving a broad clientele, and one would need to know how to interpret EU labeling regulations (which I do not), but on the face of it, they are made in different countries.

Count on packaging for the country label. Ilford's coating facility is in Marly, Swiss. Swiss is not a EU memberstate. Half products usually have lower import taxes and the EU is bigger than Swiss....... There is an assembly hall in The Netherlands for US electric sport cars for the same reason.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

hugowolf

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 08:36:33 pm »

I do not believe Canson Baryta Photographique and Ilford GFS come from the same mills in Europe.

(In fact, I see on the packaging that the Canson BP is manufactured in France and the IGFS in Germany.)

That would be good. The baryta coating is so similar, as is the spectral response curve. Without looking at the back, the two papers, unprinted, are very close. After printing, the surface texture is a little, but very little, different.

Brian A

hanzo

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 12:13:35 am »

I'm holding a sheet of each in my hand right now, examining them under D50 Solux illumination and it's like I said.

Yeah.. I just checked. You are right, my bad. I rarely print on the paper because its a little bit pricier,
but from what I remember the result always have a warm tinge.
Well, at least now I won't have any reservation to finish the rest of the box.  ;D

OliverS

• Distribution of Foto+FineArt Papers
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 06:16:10 am »

Sad news indeed. Has anyone come across a comparable product to their Prestige Smooth Pearl? Especially one that is easily available in Europe.
Yes ;) "Pearl 300 BrightWhite" from Rauch.
There are also other similar qualities in the range of "Rauch" and "MediaJet".

regards
Oliver
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 06:19:18 am by OliverS »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 07:33:13 am »

Is it necessary that I get a sample of that paper and make a spectral plot of it or could I use the one from BonJet and give it another name? :-)

I should have mentioned the Mediajet PhotoArt White Baryta 310 gsm as an IGFS clone too of course.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2013, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

OliverS

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 11:23:29 am »

Hi Ernst,
i send you 2 testpacks in A4 size begin of October this year.
 ???
DonĀ“t received it?

regards
Oliver

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 02:03:06 pm »

Oliver,

I went through my paper samples archive, my spectral measurements and in search of lost packages here. Nada! The Mediajet entries are of older samples I got from Rauch at the Photokina and afterwards but nothing recent. The last contact I had with Rauch was in May.

--

OliverS

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 02:28:57 am »

Hello,

:-\ i will see that you will get something soon.

regards
Oliver

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 10:09:12 am »

That is very disappointing to hear.  I will miss that paper and its easy-scratch surface and erratic packaging quality. ;)  But then again, when everything went right, I felt like it was the best fiber paper available on the market for sharpness, color and a pleasing texture.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 11:30:43 am »

Hello,

:-\ i will see that you will get something soon.

regards
Oliver

Oliver,

It arrived, thank you. If there are new ones to measure I might add them to the SpectrumViz list before New Year. There are more samples arriving this weekend.

--

KatManDEW

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 12:20:16 am »

This is a shock. Ilford is about the only paper I use. They just sponsored a webinar yesterday, and are having a 25% off sale in conjunction with the webinar. I just ordered a roll of Smooth Pearl today using the discount.

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2013, 01:45:54 am »

You can use Harman, It seems Harman got the Ilford facilities for producing Baryta and other paper in UK:

http://www.harman-inkjet.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=175

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2013, 01:53:44 am »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2013, 09:00:33 am »

None of this stuff is quite the same as Gold Fibre Silk, once you read the specs, and the pricing is likely higher depending on where you buy it. This bankruptcy of Ilford Imaging (Marly, CH) is very bad news for more reasons than them alone. I am given to understand that their coating mill coats papers on contract to other suppliers selling papers under different brand names, so more of your favorite papers may be affected than these alone. Unless restored, this recent development will cause a realignment of manufacturing arrangements across a broader swath of the industry than may be apparent to us, because there are very few coating mills in Europe. The implications for competitive conditions in the market remain to be seen. I don't quite understand what kind of factors have deterred the many groups who were looking over the Marly operation from rescuing it from bankruptcy. There could be many such factors, but given how low the acquisition cost should be at this stage and the usual desire of bankruptcy receivers to see their sick patients restored to health as expeditiously as possible, one wonders why it is not happening.

Mr. Capp

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2013, 10:25:05 am »

After finding the new Prestige pearl I thought I finally had my paper, especially one that wouldn't get scratched coming through my 3880.
Now that it's leaving us, I'm on the hunt again. One the good side I just tested Red Rivers Ultrapro Satin 3.0. I'd wait for others to do tests but I'm finding the gamut very large, deeper black than the ilford and a great canned great profile. If they only made it thicker but I think this will be a new standard RC for me.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2013, 09:14:33 pm »

Red River Arctic Polar Satin has been my basic paper for some time now. I've been very please both with the paper and the support from the company. I have found the profiles to be a little dark but easily adjusted whereas Canon's are right on.

KatManDEW

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2013, 09:25:18 pm »

Red River Arctic Polar Satin has been my basic paper for some time now. I've been very please both with the paper and the support from the company. I have found the profiles to be a little dark but easily adjusted whereas Canon's are right on.

Which Canon's? Profiles for Canon paper?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up