Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466479 times)

TechTalk

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #12000 on: October 25, 2021, 09:48:12 pm »

I think he's been banned again for his personal assaults. 

Nice. A vague assertion that cannot be verified. Not surprising, however.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #12001 on: October 25, 2021, 10:03:23 pm »

That's why there is no "truth" and it's all just opinion.

That's why democracy and its foundations are under assault in this country. Because there are people who actually believe that kind of crap.

TechTalk

« Reply #12002 on: October 25, 2021, 10:24:12 pm »

No one can read your long posts.

While you've taken the liberty of speaking for everyone, you appear to be speaking for those with short attention spans.

You get lost in the weeds.

A false assertion made in one short sentence may require several sentences to clearly show the falsity of the claim.

Be a little briefer.

I have no interest in advice from you on posting etiquette.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12003 on: October 26, 2021, 12:20:22 am »

Peter is an inside guy who works in the movie industry.
Worked.  I retired from Hollywood level film-making at 55, twenty years ago.

He's a director himself. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0572760/

I do have substantial directing experience, but that's not me.  There are more than one Peter McLennans in the world.  This is my IMDB entry:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6220604/

His first-hand experience is more valuable than looking up stuff in Google which wouldn't necessarily provide inside knowledge about what really goes on behind the scenes.  It's disappointing to not get his input.

Sorry to disappoint you. There is ample "behind the scenes" literature available for anyone interested in informing themselves on the nature of the film business.

My first hand experience does include substantial time on sets where firearms were used and the protocols in place then were similar to those used today.  The Armorer is in charge of firearms on set.  He or she works under the Special Effects department which is ultimately responsible to the producer. 

My understanding is that the legal responsibility for production safety rests with the producer. I do understand the importance of safety protocols to producers, cast and crew. I have safety-related (a death) across-the-desk experience with Hollywood lawyers who were considerably above my pay grade. 

The Assistant Director position is poorly titled.  He or she works in the producer's interest, not the director's, and is the hour by hour manager of the shooting crew, responsible for the legal, efficient and safe operation of the set during principal photography.

As far as I know, there is no job title of "Associate Director" in the motion picture business.

My problem with you, Alan, is that you purport to be an expert on everything from geomorphology to geopolitics.  Your constant trolling and baiting without underlying substance is tiresome and irresponsible.  Since this is the political forum, I'll say that it's also typical of many problems exhibited currently by those on the right hand side of the political spectrum.

"Alternative facts" and "Fake News" are themselves fictions, invented to deceive those without the inclination to learn truth.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 08:39:43 pm by Peter McLennan »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12004 on: October 26, 2021, 12:27:47 am »

Everyone does that...  You're just like everyone else...

Alan, you really do sound like a petulant teenager sometimes.  Are you sure you're not fourteen?

Manoli

« Reply #12005 on: October 26, 2021, 07:34:34 am »

The person who most attacked me personally the most is gone.  I think he's been banned again for his personal assaults. 

Another of your 'foot-in-mouth' moments ...

Yes, he is and has (mostly) done so since day one in this thread, which began on November 4th, 2020. Nearly a year and 239 pages, nothing has changed. I have accepted this fact.

Trolls live for attention, that’s all they have. And therefore, thanks to your post quoted above, (which isn't a new revelation), and Bill’s editorial below**, I’ve had a epiphany: I’m done with this Bear Pit. Which may make a few happy and that’s fine too.

This troll is the 2nd most unintelligent moronic individual I’ve encountered in any photo forum. The first on my list posted earlier today doesn't belong anywhere near a photo forum.
Nothing will change their minds or their trolling habits. Nothing! Expect perhaps ignoring them. Not providing the oxogen they so need to continue to troll. So I’m really, really going to fight the urge to read, let alone reply to the trolls (big and little hammer). Notifications off, less noise, out of sight, out of mind.

I’ve been a LuLa member since 2004 and this site and forum are not what they once were. I’m convinced the site owners keep “The Coffee Corner > Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa“ running because they need to justify to their few advertisers that the traffic is such, they deserve advertising dollars. I will not support this site by posting/hits this way.  Life is too short to both provide energy to trolls and hoodwink advertisers by posting about politics with trolls on LuLa.

I strongly recommend to my fellow regular posters that they consider the same action, to produce a result where the life force trolls require is so low, they textually masterbate elsewhere. Some of ‘regulars’ here (and you know who you are), are very smart guys and by now know that no text, data, or factual evidence will change the replies of this troll. He cannot learn, cannot accept facts and cannot nor will ever escape his huge confirmation bias.

For me and perhaps others, it is time for a divorce as outlined so well below, and as such, I will STFU here. Fortunately (for me) there are still a few LuLa forums where the art and technology of photography provide an interest. I am not going anywhere. The hammer will of course assume, without a lick of data, I've been banned simply because I can no longer stand to read and reply to his utter BS day in and day out.

So goodby Bear Pit. Many of you earned my respect based on your writings. Far less, two or three, have earned my top awards for their brainless, foolish writings. Adiós.

** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL_SGxCEiwI
If we want to halt this descent into civil war, we have to stop hating each other“.

Manoli

« Reply #12006 on: October 26, 2021, 07:47:51 am »

My problem with you, Alan, is that you purport to be an expert on everything from geomorphology to geopolitics.  Your constant trolling and baiting without underlying substance is tiresome and irresponsible.  Since this is the political forum, I'll say that it's also typical of many problems exhibited currently by those on the right hand side of the political spectrum.

Given the lack of moderation, my suggestion to all is to simply not respond to any of his posts.
Responding just feeds the trolling.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12007 on: October 26, 2021, 09:35:29 am »

Given the lack of moderation, my suggestion to all is to simply not respond to any of his posts.

If you google "alt-right forum tactics" you'll see a series of articles analyzing the various social media tricks of the trade that are widely used. Not engaging with those practitioners is a good first step. They are interested in real discussion, they just present as if they are.

There's an interesting sideshow developing here in Canada. The province of Saskatchewan is experiencing high Covid infections and they are maxing out their ICUs, so some patients have transferred to other jurisdictions. This is the story about one political activist who was transferred to Toronto's Mount Sinai hospital, https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/vocal-critic-of-covid-19-health-measures-among-sask-icu-patients-moved-to-ont-supporters-say-1.5635642.

He has attended political rallies maskless. There are several quotations attributed to him, one in this article, about how "people here" are not afraid of Covid but if they get sick, well that's just how the cookie crumbles (not his exact words). I've seen quotations in other articles about how he views himself as a target of the media unfairly because they make fun of the fact that he believes in aliens (space aliens, I presume) and ghosts too.

It might be a sign that we have too many media hours to fill if we're wasting any of it reporting on this nonsense. We used to ignore or make fun of village idiots. Now they're on the news. Why?
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12008 on: October 26, 2021, 11:18:54 am »

Typical left concept of shutting up the people whose opinions you disagree with.  We see it today all over the news and social media, now including LuLa.  Groups trying to silence speech they don't agree with under the guise it's dangerous or divisive.  We should all think alike.  Shades of Orwell's 1984.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12009 on: October 26, 2021, 12:08:13 pm »

Typical left right concept of shutting up the people whose opinions you disagree with. 

Fixed it for you. It now has about the same value as your original.

Thanks for even acknowledging my answer to your questions.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #12010 on: October 26, 2021, 12:10:56 pm »

Typical left concept of shutting up the people whose opinions you disagree with.  We see it today all over the news and social media, now including LuLa.  Groups trying to silence speech they don't agree with under the guise it's dangerous or divisive.  We should all think alike.  Shades of Orwell's 1984.
Amen, Alan!

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12011 on: October 26, 2021, 12:12:08 pm »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12012 on: October 26, 2021, 12:17:35 pm »

Alan, you really do sound like a petulant teenager sometimes.  Are you sure you're not fourteen?
It's crude comments like this that make all your posts seem petty. Why would I answer your questions norw when you use personal insults?

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12013 on: October 26, 2021, 01:08:42 pm »

Just a little helpful advice on improving your debating skills.

Manoli

« Reply #12014 on: October 26, 2021, 01:18:45 pm »

Make my day, why don't you!

Get a life, Alan.
Left ? who's left?
Did I say you should be silenced ?  No.
I 'suggested' that it be best to refrain from responding to your blatant and persistent 'trolling'.

The original was directed at another of your trolling fraternity; nevertheless unfortunately still relevant today.
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=97490.msg868959#msg868959

I'm going to get banned for this, and frankly, I no longer care.

Sadly this forum is now so poorly moderated that blatant trolls such as yourself seem to have free reign to drag it into the gutter and keep it there.

This used to be a valuable resource. A place where people with similar interests, but with different backgrounds and wildly disparate skill sets and experience could meet and chat and share knowledge.

No longer.

So in the spirit of where you have taken this forum , allow me to sign off for the last time not with my customary "Kind regards", but by using what, frankly, is of the vernacular that you deserve.

A very resounding, "Fuck you."

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12015 on: October 26, 2021, 01:44:25 pm »

You are confusing things. No one is trying to shut out your opinions. You can voice them as often and for as long you want. As you have freely done for months. No one has banned you.

However, that does not mean that others have to find your opinions credible. There is no right to be heard, only a right of free speech (more or less). And that only really means that no one can put you in jail for saying some things, it does not mean that anyone has to listen.

If what you are upset about at the moment is that others are not finding your arguments worth listening to, maybe that means you should re-examine your positions on things. Or you can decide not to, that's up to you.

I guess it's more or less true that people are entitled to their opinions. In and of itself, that means very little. I have read/heard some people say that vaccines are "literally poison". (That was attributed to that activist from Saskatchewan I referred to earlier who is now in an ICU in Toronto because of Covid.) I guess it's not illegal for him to say that vaccines are poison, but it is damn stupid, and given that he is a semi-public figure it is also kind of irresponsible. I find it encouraging that our society is still going to great lengths to keep him alive, the thinking being that human life is more important than imbecilic opinions. What I'm getting at is that being entitled to your own opinion isn't a guarantee of anything much.

--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12016 on: October 26, 2021, 01:48:26 pm »

You are confusing things. No one is trying to shut out your opinions. You can voice them as often and for as long you want. As you have freely done for months. No one has banned you.

However, that does not mean that others have to find your opinions credible. There is no right to be heard, only a right of free speech (more or less). And that only really means that no one can put you in jail for saying some things, it does not mean that anyone has to listen.

If what you are upset about at the moment is that others are not finding your arguments worth listening to, maybe that means you should re-examine your positions on things. Or you can decide not to, that's up to you.

I guess it's more or less true that people are entitled to their opinions. In and of itself, that means very little. I have read/heard some people say that vaccines are "literally poison". (That was attributed to that activist from Saskatchewan I referred to earlier who is now in an ICU in Toronto because of Covid.) I guess it's not illegal for him to say that vaccines are poison, but it is damn stupid, and given that he is a semi-public figure it is also kind of irresponsible. I find it encouraging that our society is still going to great lengths to keep him alive, the thinking being that human life is more important than imbecilic opinions. What I'm getting at is that being entitled to your own opinion isn't a guarantee of anything much.

Freedom is being entitled to your own opinion.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12017 on: October 26, 2021, 01:58:34 pm »

Freedom is being entitled to your own opinion.

And you are.

So what's your problem?
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12018 on: October 26, 2021, 02:16:21 pm »

And you are.

So what's your problem?
When you call me a troll for expressing my opinions, you're trying to delegitimize my beliefs.  You really don't believe in freedom of speech. You actually want to silence those whose opinions you disagree with.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12019 on: October 26, 2021, 04:07:51 pm »

... You really don't believe in freedom of speech. You actually want to silence those whose opinions you disagree with.

Now you're gaslighting.  :)

You have a right to say (almost) whatever you want, but so do I. If I think you're behaving like a troll, I may choose to say so. If you want to erroneously interpret that as a slam on free speech, you have a right to do so.

--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 808   Go Up