Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466403 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #10740 on: May 31, 2021, 09:59:54 am »

Interesting 30 minute talk and Q&A with David Simon, former reporter and  creator of The Wire, Treme, The Deuce and other programs, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYXNdELqCe4.

With reference to the dysfunction in modern US cities, he summarizes the how and why of current US political paralysis, including some sobering thoughts about the high rates of incarceration.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10741 on: May 31, 2021, 10:02:01 am »

Assuming than speaking for others (everyone) once again.
It does not take Biden and some others minds off reducing C02 thankfully. Not everyone, and this is provable and not an assumption, abide by the 'don't do what we do, do what we say' mindset. That's part of what makes America great. Yes, had you actually seen a very informative part of Fareed Zakaria's show yesterday, you'd know why!
Fareed takes a look at the alarming worldwide decline in birth rates, and the potentially devastating consequences of a rapidly aging population.
[/i]
https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2021/05/28/exp-gps-0530-covid-baby-bust.cnn
Just too many old farts (you know who I'm referring to) spending too much time typing BS, too few younger one reproducing.
Liberals complain that high populations are destroying nature as we use up more and more resources and eliminate more and more species.  So now, many of these same liberals are putting their stamp of approval on increasing birth rates for economic reasons of ageing populations ignoring that stopping CO2 and associated higher temperature they claim will occur will just become nearly impossible to reduce with more people.  They really have to make up their minds which is the bigger problem. You can't have both.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10742 on: May 31, 2021, 10:10:05 am »

Liberals complain that high populations are destroying nature as we use up more and more resources and eliminate more and more species.  So now, many of these same liberals are putting their stamp of approval on increasing birth rates for economic reasons of ageing populations ignoring that stopping CO2 and associated higher temperature they claim will occur will just become nearly impossible to reduce with more people.  They really have to make up their minds which is the bigger problem. You can't have both.
You clearly don't understand nor viewed the video with such a stupid generalized statement. Nothing new from Alan.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:13:10 am by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10743 on: May 31, 2021, 10:13:05 am »

Interesting 30 minute talk and Q&A with David Simon, former reporter and  creator of The Wire, Treme, The Deuce and other programs, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYXNdELqCe4.

With reference to the dysfunction in modern US cities, he summarizes the how and why of current US political paralysis, including some sobering thoughts about the high rates of incarceration.
Incarceration isn't the problem in the public's mind.  It's that crime rates are going up in all the major cities that's the problem. Weakening of police, lack of support, early retirement of policemen,  eliminating police methods that reduce crime, and police looking the other way when they see crime to avoid having to defend themselves in court. In the meanwhile, I suspect that with the public demanding government reduce crime rates, especially in minority neighborhood where most crime occurs,  incarceration will go up.  People don't like getting shot or robbed regardless of their color.  Most people think defunding the police is a stupid idea.   

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10744 on: May 31, 2021, 10:14:09 am »

You clearly don't understand nor viewed the video with such a stupid generalized statement. Nothing new from Alan.

There you go again with personal insults rather than addressing my points. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10745 on: May 31, 2021, 10:16:57 am »

There you go again with personal insults rather than addressing my points.
Your points are wrong.
You didn't watch the video and made an abused and stupid comment on something you know nothing about. Nothing new.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10746 on: May 31, 2021, 10:35:00 am »

Your points are wrong.
You didn't watch the video and made an abused and stupid comment on something you know nothing about. Nothing new.
I wasn't commenting on incarceration but rather the higher crime rate and it's causes. Having lived in NYC most of my life and lived through NYCs high crime rates of the past, and had to protect myself from that crime,  and watched how different police activities reduced crime in a major city, I know more about it than a guy like yourself from Santa Fe, New Mexico.  What do you have there?  Rustlers?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10747 on: May 31, 2021, 10:53:34 am »

I wasn't commenting on incarceration but rather the higher crime rate and it's causes.
You're lost again. Have you been tested for dementia?
Here's what you wrote, copy and paste in reply to my URL on population decline:
Generalizations about liberals and complaints about high populations that are wrong certainly in terms of the video you didn't watch.
You didn't view or understand the video. If you had, you'd know the statement YOU made is another stupid generalization in reply to mine posting the video.
The video is nearly 5 minutes long. At 07:35:15 I posted the link. At 08:02:01 am you knee jerked the reply above. Tell us how you viewed that video before jerking your knee again?

Your points are wrong.

Alan isn't a liar, he's a fabulist

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10748 on: May 31, 2021, 10:58:39 am »

Speaking of climate control, another silly liberal idea is being pushed.  They want to eliminate cheaper natural gas for heating and cooking and use electricity only.  My cousins were talked into an all-electric house when they bought it 40 years ago.  Today they spend hundred of dollars more per month than a comparable natural gas supplied house.  Of course, back then it was pushed by Con Ed the local NY utility who sells electricity.  Now its the Earth Savers pushing it.  This supposed new idea will of course hurt the lower and middle classes the most who can least afford higher utility rates. And no, solar and wind will not reduce electricity costs.  Germany, who's on around 50% of renewables, has electric costs 2 1/2 time America's. 

Battle Brews Over Banning Natural Gas to Homes
Cities are considering measures to phase out gas hookups amid climate concerns, spurring some states to outlaw such prohibitions
https://www.wsj.com/articles/battle-brews-over-banning-natural-gas-to-homes-11622334674

chez

« Reply #10749 on: May 31, 2021, 11:03:15 am »

Incarceration isn't the problem in the public's mind.  It's that crime rates are going up in all the major cities that's the problem. Weakening of police, lack of support, early retirement of policemen,  eliminating police methods that reduce crime, and police looking the other way when they see crime to avoid having to defend themselves in court. In the meanwhile, I suspect that with the public demanding government reduce crime rates, especially in minority neighborhood where most crime occurs,  incarceration will go up.  People don't like getting shot or robbed regardless of their color.  Most people think defunding the police is a stupid idea.

I don't feel the way to decrease crime is to increase policing. Crime is a society issue and it is here where you need to look if you want to deal with the crime rates.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10750 on: May 31, 2021, 11:04:40 am »

You're lost again. Have you been tested for dementia?
Here's what you wrote, copy and paste in reply to my URL on population decline:Generalizations about liberals and complaints about high populations that are wrong certainly in terms of the video you didn't watch.
You didn't view or understand the video. If you had, you'd know the statement YOU made is another stupid generalization in reply to mine posting the video.
The video is nearly 5 minutes long. At 07:35:15 I posted the link. At 08:02:01 am you knee jerked the reply above. Tell us how you viewed that video before jerking your knee again?

Your points are wrong.

Alan isn't a liar, he's a fabulist

I'll trust the readers to draw their own conclusions about my arguments and your name-calling and personal insults.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10751 on: May 31, 2021, 11:05:12 am »

I put the video up for general consumption. It was not connected to the current topic under discussion and it was not about any of the topics you just raised.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10752 on: May 31, 2021, 11:08:03 am »

I don't feel the way to decrease crime is to increase policing. Crime is a society issue and it is here where you need to look if you want to deal with the crime rates.
But while we're trying to change society to reduce crime, we have to use police to stop it while it's happening.  It's not an either/or situation.  We have to do both. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10753 on: May 31, 2021, 11:08:34 am »

Speaking of climate control, another silly liberal idea is being pushed.  They want to eliminate cheaper natural gas for heating and cooking and use electricity only.  My cousins were talked into an all-electric house when they bought it 40 years ago.  Today they spend hundred of dollars more per month than a comparable natural gas supplied house.  Of course, back then it was pushed by Con Ed the local NY utility who sells electricity.  Now its the Earth Savers pushing it.  This supposed new idea will of course hurt the lower and middle classes the most who can least afford higher utility rates. And no, solar and wind will not reduce electricity costs.  Germany, who's on around 50% of renewables, has electric costs 2 1/2 time America's. 

Battle Brews Over Banning Natural Gas to Homes
Cities are considering measures to phase out gas hookups amid climate concerns, spurring some states to outlaw such prohibitions
https://www.wsj.com/articles/battle-brews-over-banning-natural-gas-to-homes-11622334674

You seem to be assuming that energy should be cheap, or at least it seems to bother you when it isn't. It isn't a human right to have cheap energy, you know.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10754 on: May 31, 2021, 11:10:53 am »

I put the video up for general consumption. It was not connected to the current topic under discussion and it was not about any of the topics you just raised.
So? It's a related topic I wanted to bring up since you brought up incarceration.  After all, you can't have incarceration without crime and policing? How do you discuss one without discussing the others?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10755 on: May 31, 2021, 11:19:30 am »

I'll trust the readers to draw their own conclusions about my arguments and your name-calling and personal insults.
So do I.
Not working out too well for you, another fact you'll avoid.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10756 on: May 31, 2021, 11:19:36 am »

You seem to be assuming that energy should be cheap, or at least it seems to bother you when it isn't. It isn't a human right to have cheap energy, you know.
Sure it's important.  One of the advantages of modern society is to have heat to keep yourself and family warm in the winter and not freeze to death.  There are billions of people who still don't have that luxury in the world today. Should they burn dirtier wood? Making heating even more expensive will lock out those people from getting what we take for granted.  Natural gas is cheap, comparably. 

Even where heating is available, if you had young children, would you want to be forced to lower the thermostat and hear them complain about being cold because you can't afford high electric rates to heat if that was all that was available?

The problem with climate control is we have to look at the other side of the ledger.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10757 on: May 31, 2021, 11:44:32 am »

Alan, as usual you're generalizing and cherry-picking in order to advance your ideology.  Comparisons between US and German electricity bills are complex. 

Read more, type less.

https://energytransition.org/2015/05/german-power-bills-low-compared-to-us/#:~:text=While%20Americans%20pay%20on%20average,demonstrating%20against%20the%20energy%20transition.&text=Convert%20at%20that%20rate%2C%20and,US%20average%20of%20110%20dollars.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10758 on: May 31, 2021, 11:54:03 am »

Yes they do (fortunately):
Alan, as usual you're generalizing and cherry-picking in order to advance your ideology.  Comparisons between US and German electricity bills are complex. 
And now we'll hear the rebuttal not with facts or data but with the sad: "that's just name-calling and personal insults."

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence. -William F. Buckley, Jr.
See, even an old, die hard conservative like Buckley had a good line for Alan's posting agenda.  ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10759 on: May 31, 2021, 12:10:09 pm »

Alan, as usual you're generalizing and cherry-picking in order to advance your ideology.  Comparisons between US and German electricity bills are complex

Read more, type less.

https://energytransition.org/2015/05/german-power-bills-low-compared-to-us/#:~:text=While%20Americans%20pay%20on%20average,demonstrating%20against%20the%20energy%20transition.&text=Convert%20at%20that%20rate%2C%20and,US%20average%20of%20110%20dollars.

Nothing complex.  The first sentence of your article states: "While Americans pay on average around 12 cents per kilowatt-hour of electricity, Germans easily pay twice as much."  In other articles I read months ago, the higher rates in Germany were attributed to green energy which runs about 50% of the production of electricity.  In addition, Germany is now faced with replacing many of their wind generators.  After twenty years of operation, they are obsolete. 

Your article is cherry picking the data.  Although it admits up-front it costs double the US per kilowatt, the article tries to make it seem not so bad because German's don't use as much electricity.  Well, that might be because it's so damn expensive.  They don't air condition for example at the same rate as Americans, maybe because it's generally colder in Germany.  Or too expensive. Air conditioning in my house probably make up 50% of my annual electric bill.  But who wants to live without A/C?  They also have smaller appliances.   My wife wouldn't be happy with that.  :) 

Well, what does this have to do with the cost per kilowatt?  Sure. I can shut everything off in my house too and save electricity and money.  I could also live in a cave.  But that just lowers my standard of living. Arguing that Germans don't pay so much overall for electricity because they don't use air conditioning and other appliances like Americans do is a non-starter and doesn't seem like a fair comparison.  Ask my wife.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 808   Go Up