Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 470684 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #1380 on: November 14, 2020, 09:24:27 pm »

Petty and insulting.  You're very classy.
Being corrected is insulting to you, first time?
Get the facts, or the facts will get you. And when you get em, get em right, or they will get you wrong.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1381 on: November 14, 2020, 09:38:08 pm »

It's not wasted and unproductive time.  It takes awhile to figure out all the people you want to pardon.

Be easier just to keep updating a list. A simple Excel spreadsheet would do.

If I were writing the script for this show, I'd have Trump resign early, say January 15th or something, install Pence as Prez and then Pence could pardon Trump before the 21st. During that week CNN could go ape wondering if Pence will actually go ahead or renege on the deal.

If Trump wanted to stick it to the "Deep State", he could pardon Snowden And Assange.

It's Saturday, just having fun here.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1382 on: November 14, 2020, 09:50:26 pm »

Trump is on a firing spree, it seems, https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/525916-heads-roll-as-trump-launches-post-election-purge. Maybe he thinks he's back on TV doing his show.

Sure seems like a lot of wasted time and money. They have to file the paperwork to toss some people out, spend money on training the new boys, only to all be done again in a couple of months.

He's acting like a big spoiled baby who didn't get his way so he's throwing tantrums. Classy to the end. Shouldn't he be handing out wall construction contracts to some buddies while he still can. Or maybe raising tariffs on Canadian aluminum again, he hasn't done that lately.
--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1383 on: November 14, 2020, 09:58:27 pm »

It's not wasted and unproductive time.  It takes awhile to figure out all the people you want to pardon.

That could be counter productive.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1384 on: November 15, 2020, 12:49:48 am »

Chinese found corona virus on frozen Argentinian and Brazilian beef. Better stick to fresh organic meat. Or even better, to California broccoli.

Chinese authorities last week found the coronavirus on the packaging of Saudi shrimp in Lanzhou city, Brazilian beef in Wuhan city and Argentinian beef in Shandong and Jiangsu provinces. China is the world’s top beef buyer and Brazil and Argentina its largest suppliers. Zhengzhou, the capital of Henan province in central China, detected coronavirus on the outer packaging of frozen pork from Argentina on Friday, local authorities said in a statement late on Saturday on the social media platform WeChat.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-meat/china-finds-coronavirus-on-frozen-beef-tripe-from-various-countries-idUSKBN27V03M?il=0

Ray

« Reply #1385 on: November 15, 2020, 07:44:52 am »

I don't know why Asia is doing better.

Could be due to the Asians consuming 70% more fiber than Americans. Another thing is that Asians traditionally eat at round tables, particularly family meals, as it's convenient to share dishes with others, especially with a lazy Suzy. Westerners eat at square tables, which is more convenient for individual meals, with long tables for bigger groups.

Could also be due to the greater prevalence of Neanderthal genes in people of European descent.  ;)

Could also be due to the greater numbers of the elderly in advanced Western societies, who are the most vulnerable to Covid-19 infection.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/neanderthal-genes-could-increase-the-severity-of-covid-19-symptoms/

faberryman

« Reply #1386 on: November 15, 2020, 08:29:59 am »

Trump pulled the US out of TPP four years ago and the US is now excluded from RCEP. I wonder was would have happened had we continued to negotiate TPP instead of entering into a trade war with China. Certainly our balance of trade with China has not gone down, so that aspect of the trade war is a huge failure.

RCEP: Asia-Pacific countries form world's largest trading bloc

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54949260

Some have said that theft of our intellectual property has improved, but I have never seen anything but conclusory statements to that effect from Trump and his supporters. Perhaps someone can link to the text of phase one of the trade agreement which addresses that. A White House "Fact Sheet" dated May 29, 2020 states as follows:

"China’s theft of American technology, intellectual property, and research threatens the safety, security, and economy of the United States."

So if it "threatens" - present tense - I guess Trump didn't solve that problem either. So Trump complained about it for four years, but accomplished nothing. That fits a pattern.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-protecting-america-chinas-efforts-steal-technology-intellectual-property/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:55:23 am by faberryman »

faberryman

« Reply #1387 on: November 15, 2020, 08:51:18 am »

The Trump administrations suspension of DACA was ruled illegal because the appointment of Acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf was illegal, along with everything else Wolf did while in that position.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judge-dhs-head-authority-suspend-daca-74214041

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:04:01 am by faberryman »

chez

« Reply #1388 on: November 15, 2020, 08:53:52 am »

Quote from: Ray link=topic=136697.msg1195725#msg1195725 date

Could also be due to the greater numbers of the elderly in advanced Western societies, who are the most vulnerable to Covid-19 infection.

I'm not sure that is true. The young are getting infected at a much higher rate lately than the elderly. Yes, the elderly are more likely to die once infected, but actually getting infected and spreading the virus, the young are more vulnerable.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1389 on: November 15, 2020, 09:14:17 am »

Trump pulled the US out of TPP four years ago and the US is now excluded from RCEP. I wonder was would have happened had we continued to negotiate TPP instead of entering into a trade war with China. Certainly our balance of trade with China has not gone down, so that aspect of the trade war is a huge failure.

RCEP: Asia-Pacific countries form world's largest trading bloc

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54949260

Some have said that theft of our intellectual property has improved, but I have never seen anything but conclusory statements to that effect from Trump and his supporters. Perhaps someone can link to the text of phase one of the trade agreement which addresses that. A White House "Fact Sheet" dated May 29, 2020 states as follows:

"China’s theft of American technology, intellectual property, and research threatens the safety, security, and economy of the United States."

So if it "threatens" - present tense - I guess Trump didn't solve that problem either. So Trump complained about it for four years, but accomplished nothing. That fits a pattern.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-protecting-america-chinas-efforts-steal-technology-intellectual-property/
Previous administrations did nothing but complain to China about their theft.  At least Trump tried.  It's still a work in progress.  We'll see what Biden does.  He didn't do anything when he was Vice President when Obama assigned him to represent us in CHina.  Well, he did get his son a job there.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1390 on: November 15, 2020, 09:30:34 am »

The Trump administrations suspension of DACA was ruled illegal because the appointment of Acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf was illegal, along with everything else Wolf did while in that position.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judge-dhs-head-authority-suspend-daca-74214041

This is what happens when presidents act outside of the constitution using presidential orders to get what they want instead of Congress legislating it.  And they're all guilty of this. 

So originally, Obama created this problem with protection in DACA by issuing a presidential order rather than getting Congress to legislate it.  Then a new president Trump decides to unilaterally overrule DACA but gets into trouble because he didn't get his Homeland Security chief Wolff appointment approved by Congress.  Also required by the constitution. So the court overruled Wolff's action.  The same thing happened with Obama and the Iran deal and Paris agreement.  Biden's been told by key Democrats to continue to issue a lot of edicts too continuing the practice.  You'd think they'd learn. It's bad policy because the world's governments and the public don’t know from year to year just what American policies are.  It's a stupid way to run a government. 

faberryman

« Reply #1391 on: November 15, 2020, 09:35:10 am »

This is what happens when presidents act outside of the constitution using presidential orders to get what they want instead of Congress legislating it.  And they're all guilty of this. 

So originally, Obama created this problem with protection in DACA by issuing a presidential order rather than getting Congress to legislate it.  Then a new president Trump decides to unilaterally overrule DACA but gets into trouble because he didn't get his Homeland Security chief Wolff appointment approved by Congress.  Also required by the constitution. So the court overruled Wolff's action.  The same thing happened with Obama and the Iran deal and Paris agreement.  Biden's been told by key Democrats to continue to issue a lot of edicts too continuing the practice.  You'd think they'd learn. It's bad policy because the world's governments and the public don’t know from year to year just what American policies are.  It's a stupid way to run a government.

There is a difference between illegally appointing an acting secretary resulting in all of his actions being illegal, and having legally adopted executive orders reversed by a subsequent president. But I understand why you want to conflate the two to try to cover Trump's ass. Everything with you is about praising Trump whether he actually accomplishes something or not, and making excuses for his screw-ups.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:06:01 am by faberryman »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1392 on: November 15, 2020, 09:40:47 am »

Numbers quoted in the press release re the MAGA march are called into question, https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/kayleigh-mcenany-trump-maga-march-crowd_n_5fb0d399c5b6c5f3d2f81edf?utm_hp_ref=ca-us-politics. The part that I found the most interesting was there may be a "whopper meter" that measures the outrageousness of the lies.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1393 on: November 15, 2020, 09:46:12 am »

Previous administrations did nothing but complain to China about their theft.  At least Trump tried.  It's still a work in progress.  We'll see what Biden does.  He didn't do anything when he was Vice President when Obama assigned him to represent us in CHina.  Well, he did get his son a job there.

You, and perhaps others, have repeatedly mentioned China's theft of intellectual property. I've heard that line so much that now I'm starting to doubt its importance. I mean, Trump lies outrageously about everything else, why would he be accurate about this. Is there a current analysis of this issue from a source that can be believed. Because, you know, Apple and lots of other companies manufacture over there and have done so for a while now. I find it a bit hard to believe that they'd be doing that if their work was being stolen out from under their noses. I'm not saying I don't believe this could happen, I'm just saying that in the current environment I find it hard to take anything from Trumpistan very seriously, at least not without corroboration.
--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #1394 on: November 15, 2020, 09:57:50 am »

Numbers quoted in the press release re the MAGA march are called into question, https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/kayleigh-mcenany-trump-maga-march-crowd_n_5fb0d399c5b6c5f3d2f81edf?utm_hp_ref=ca-us-politics. The part that I found the most interesting was there may be a "whopper meter" that measures the outrageousness of the lies.

Trump started his administration by blatantly lying about the size of his inauguration crowd and ends his administration by blatantly lying about the size of his so-called Million MAGA March.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:06:39 am by faberryman »

faberryman

« Reply #1395 on: November 15, 2020, 10:09:15 am »

At least Trump tried.

His epitaph. So much winning.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1396 on: November 15, 2020, 10:13:36 am »

There is a difference between illegally appointing an acting secretary resulting in his actions being illegal, and having legally adopted executive orders reversed by a subsequent president. But I understand why you want to conflate the two to try to cover Trump's ass. Everything with you is about praising Trump whether he actually accomplishes something or not, and making excuses for his screw-ups.
Why do you assume me at the worse?  I was trying to make a important point about presidential orders and the problems they cause.  Actually, the original DACA presidential order may be illegal as well because the courts may maintain that Obama didn't have the authority to issue it, only Congress could.  One federal judge has already determined that I believe.  In any case, I don't believe it;s legality has been finally settled. So now we have a possible illegal presidential order being illegally overruled by another president.  It's like Alice in Wonderland.

The main point I was making is that all presidents think they're kings.  They issue edicts that become challenged more easily in court because they failed to get Congress to pass legislation codifying these rules. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1397 on: November 15, 2020, 10:16:36 am »

The election is over.  No one cares anymore.  Time to let go of Trump.  Now it's our chance to make fun of your guy.  :)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1398 on: November 15, 2020, 10:22:59 am »

I've been sitting on the couch editing a manuscript, with the TV running in the foreground, and I gotta say, the talking heads (liberal) seem to be whipping up their viewers to believe that Trump is going to do something disastrous before Jan. 20. Hard to tell if they're really worried, or it's just bullshit, or it's an effort to keep the intensity high before the Georgia Senate elections. I lean toward bullshit, although I do worry (a little) about Trump vs. Iran. However, the 2003 Iraq invasion took about six months to organize, and Iran is far more formidable than Iraq ever was, so I don't actually see that happening. Despite all the pissing and moaning, I suspect little will happen until the Secret Service loads Trump onto a dolly and wheels him out of the White House. I hope.
When it comes to Iran; I think there are signs on the wall that something might happen:
1 weakening of Iran with sanctions ( + Covid)
2 selling loads of weapons and drones to Saoudi Arabia .
(What forever for do they need so much weapons  but for using it in a war? as they already did in Jemen)
3 Selling of US deep penetrating bombs to Israel.
4 Building an alliance of surrounding muslim countries against Iran while accepting Israel... ( peace treaties?)
The way I see it is clear to me that Iran will not be attacked by the US, but by this alliance of nations feeded with US high tech weaponry.
No US soldier dies; The US makes huge profits on the weapons. Iran gone. Great deal.
Weapons are only profitable as they are sold. The US has far tooo much of them, costing tremendous, doing nothing. Keeping a lot of citizen employed.
Defense?; A destroy business.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1399 on: November 15, 2020, 10:27:43 am »

You, and perhaps others, have repeatedly mentioned China's theft of intellectual property. I've heard that line so much that now I'm starting to doubt its importance. I mean, Trump lies outrageously about everything else, why would he be accurate about this. Is there a current analysis of this issue from a source that can be believed. Because, you know, Apple and lots of other companies manufacture over there and have done so for a while now. I find it a bit hard to believe that they'd be doing that if their work was being stolen out from under their noses. I'm not saying I don't believe this could happen, I'm just saying that in the current environment I find it hard to take anything from Trumpistan very seriously, at least not without corroboration.

Previous administrations had complained as well.  It's not a new issue.  Estimates range upwards of $600 billion annually in costs to the US.  How do you think they got to be on the leading edge of technology from a country that was backwards 30 years ago?  I'm sure they're stealing other country's stuff too.

CNBC GLOBAL CFO COUNCIL
1 in 5 corporations say China has stolen their IP within the last year: CNBC CFO survey
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/28/1-in-5-companies-say-china-stole-their-ip-within-the-last-year-cnbc.html

In 2018, the department launched a "China Initiative" with the aim of prioritizing Chinese espionage cases.  Since then the department has announced charges in nearly 24 economic espionage and intellectual property theft cases.

FBI Director Christopher Wray testifies during an oversight hearing of the House Judiciary Committee, on Capitol Hill, Feb. 5, 2020 in Washington.
In February, FBI Director Christopher Wray said his agency was conducting about 1,000 investigations into suspected Chinese theft of U.S. technology involving every sector of the U.S. economy.

The investigations are time-consuming – sometimes they can take years – but they've led to notable prosecutions in recent months.
https://www.voanews.com/usa/us-intensifies-crackdown-china-intellectual-property-theft
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 808   Go Up