Poll

Who do you think will be sworn in as President on Jan. 21?

Biden
- 14 (66.7%)
Trump
- 7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: November 02, 2020, 06:25:59 pm

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 194   Go Down

Author Topic: US Elections 2020 (geopolitics, informed debate, no ad hominems)  (Read 110336 times)

Ray

Re: US Elections 2020 (geopolitics, informed debate, no ad hominems)
« Reply #520 on: August 13, 2020, 08:41:32 am »

I am sure that Biden's campaign completely forgot to vet this characteristic of his running mate, and that Trump's crack team of private investigators just back from Hawaii will track this to ground. Meanwhile, let's believe everything we read about it on the internet.

It will be fascinating to see how this develops. I rarely comment on the American political threads, but I do read the comments and find the plethora of conflicting and chaotic views amazing.  :D

There appears to be quite a few contentious issues regarding Kamala Harris. She admits she smoked Marijuana, and inhaled it, unlike Bill Clinton.  ;D

It also seems she's in favour of legalizing Marijuana across all of the US. She's been heavily criticized by her own father for this attitude.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #521 on: August 13, 2020, 08:44:31 am »

And disproportionately affects people of color. But let's gloss over that.

Where have I heard this before? Why don't you just put this in your signature. It will save you from having to retype it every other post.

Frank, I'm sure if we go back, we'll see you repeated yourself too ad nauseum.  We're up to 27 pages here.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #522 on: August 13, 2020, 08:46:42 am »

It will be fascinating to see how this develops. I rarely comment on the American political threads, but I do read the comments and find the plethora of conflicting and chaotic views amazing.  :D

There appears to be quite a few contentious issues regarding Kamala Harris. She admits she smoked Marijuana, and inhaled it, unlike Bill Clinton.  ;D

It also seems she's in favour of legalizing Marijuana across all of the US. She's been heavily criticized by her own father for this attitude.
The question is did she ever exhale it?

Ray

« Reply #523 on: August 13, 2020, 08:50:19 am »

The question is did she ever exhale it?

Of course she did; with huge amounts of CO2.  ;D

faberryman

« Reply #524 on: August 13, 2020, 08:51:38 am »

Seriously? It is of note that her father disapproves? What other issues should we consult him on?

Ray

« Reply #525 on: August 13, 2020, 09:02:36 am »

Seriously? It is of note that her father disapproves? What other issues should we consult him on?

Of course it is. It's one of hundreds of things to note. Don't Americans want to know about the characteristics, background and history of a possible future president? If they don't, perhaps that's why they are currently in such a mess.  :(

faberryman

« Reply #526 on: August 13, 2020, 09:08:21 am »

Of course it is. It's one of hundreds of things to note. Don't Americans want to know about the characteristics, background and history of a possible future president? If they don't, perhaps that's why they are currently in such a mess.  :(

Carry on with your internet search of Kamala's Harris's father's view on current political issues.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #527 on: August 13, 2020, 09:16:33 am »

Conservative intellectual and commentator William Buckley Jr., now deceased, once suggested that we'd be better off having the first 435 people listed in the Boston telephone directory as our congressmen than the people we have there now.  I think that was a good suggestion.

jeremyrh

« Reply #528 on: August 13, 2020, 09:34:06 am »

There's too much discussion about race in American politics. 

Maybe you think that 'cos you're white and don't actually have any idea what it's like being black?

jeremyrh

« Reply #529 on: August 13, 2020, 09:36:54 am »

Of course not. Don't be silly  ;D  . George Floyd resisted arrest. The policeman's reaction in kneeling on his neck would not have occurred if George had not resisted arrest.

Tells me all I need to know.  Rest is in the bit bucket.

Ray

« Reply #530 on: August 13, 2020, 09:37:50 am »

Carry on with your internet search of Kamala's Harris's father's view on current political issues.

The last I read, Kamala's father has stated that he won't be interviewed or make any further comments now that his daughter has been nominated as VP in the future elections. Secrecy prevails.  ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #531 on: August 13, 2020, 10:05:55 am »

Maybe you think that 'cos you're white and don't actually have any idea what it's like being black?
Stop with the black lingo.  You're not Hillary.

We've had a black president already, for two terms.  Discussing a black candidate for VP ad nauseum - is not a big deal.  Let's move on. The country has bigger fish to fry.

faberryman

« Reply #532 on: August 13, 2020, 10:13:51 am »

The last I read, Kamala's father has stated that he won't be interviewed or make any further comments now that his daughter has been nominated as VP in the future elections. Secrecy prevails.  ;)

I am sure if you dig hard enough you can find something. There are always holes in a conspirator's web.

faberryman

« Reply #533 on: August 13, 2020, 10:16:52 am »

Discussing a black candidate for VP ad nauseum - is not a big deal.  Let's move on.

You were pretty hyped up about it yesterday. Did you burn yourself out?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #534 on: August 13, 2020, 11:02:10 am »

Of course not. Don't be silly  ;D  . George Floyd resisted arrest. The policeman's reaction in kneeling on his neck would not have occurred if George had not resisted arrest. The over-reaction of the police led to his death, and that over-reaction would have been influenced by the obvious awareness and prejudice that they were dealing with a 'Black American'. No DNA test required.

I'm not American, but my impression is that the prejudice against 'Black Americans' is greater than the prejudice against 'Brown Americans', such as Asians and Hispanics. The difference is not minutiae.
The following article addresses the issue. It's a long article, so I'll select a few quotes for those who can't be bothered to read it.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2019/04/09/race-in-america-2019/

"When asked about specific situations they may have experienced because of their race or ethnicity, blacks are considerably more likely than whites, Hispanics or Asians to say that people have acted as if they were suspicious of them; people have acted as if they thought they weren’t smart; they have been treated unfairly by an employer in hiring, pay or promotion; or they have been unfairly stopped by police. Hispanics and Asians are more likely than whites to say each of these have happened to them."

"A multivariate analysis suggests that Hispanics with darker skin tones are more likely than those with lighter skin to say they have ever experienced discrimination or been treated unfairly because of their race or ethnicity. Darker skin color is also associated with a higher likelihood among Hispanics of saying that – because of their race or ethnicity – people have acted as if they were suspicious of them, people have acted as if they thought they weren’t smart, they have been treated unfairly in employment situations, they have subject to slurs or jokes, and that they have feared for their safety."

"Blacks are more likely than other racial or ethnic groups to say being black hurts a lot: 42% say this vs. a third or fewer among Asians, whites and Hispanics."
"While blacks are more likely than people in most other racial and ethnic groups to say being black is a hindrance in getting ahead, just the opposite is true for Hispanics. Hispanics are the least likely to say being Hispanic hurts people’s ability to get ahead."

"Blacks are by far the most likely to say slavery continues to have an impact. More than eight-in-ten say slavery affects the position of black people at least a fair amount, including 59% who say it does so a great deal. By comparison, 26% of whites, 29% of Hispanics and 33% of Asians say slavery affects the situation of black people today a great deal, though majorities of each group say it does so at least a fair amount."

I suggest you watch ths before talking about resiting arrest:

https://www.1011now.com/2020/08/11/graphic-court-releases-body-cam-footage-from-george-floyd-arrest/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #535 on: August 13, 2020, 12:10:39 pm »

faberryman

« Reply #536 on: August 13, 2020, 12:39:06 pm »

A timely diplomatic success for Trump.

“I’ve kept us out of war,” Trump said.

Maybe I haven't been following Middle East politics closely enough, but when were the UAE and Israel on the precipice of war?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #537 on: August 13, 2020, 12:48:48 pm »

“I’ve kept us out of war,” Trump said.

Maybe I haven't been following Middle East politics closely enough, but when were the UAE and Israel on the precipice of war?
Except for Egypt and Jordan who signed a peace treaty with Israel years ago, the rest of the Arab countries have been in a defacto war with Israel since one of the earlier actual wars. Additionally, this makes these three countries the only Arab states to have diplomatic relations with Israel. "Additionally, Israel will suspend its plans to annex part of the West Bank as part of the deal, according to a joint statement from the three countries."

It would be like America signing a peace treaty with North Korea and opening up diplomatic relations with it. It's a big deal.

faberryman

« Reply #538 on: August 13, 2020, 01:16:33 pm »

It would be like America signing a peace treaty with North Korea and opening up diplomatic relations with it. It's a big deal.

Any agreement between Israel and an Arab state is an improvement in Middle East relations, so I certainly applaud it.

I have not seen the details about which part of the West Bank Israel has agreed not to annex, so I can't speak to that aspect of the agreement, but any agreement on this issue is a step forward.

I can't find any information concerning the UAE having declared war on Israel, or any armed incursions, or any deaths of Israeli or UAE soldiers. I am not seeing a US-North Korea parallel.

How is the issue of a Palestinian homeland coming along?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 02:10:09 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #539 on: August 13, 2020, 02:18:54 pm »

Any agreement between Israel and an Arab state is an improvement in Middle East relations, so I certainly applaud it.

I have not seen the details about which part of the West Bank Israel has agreed not to annex, so I can't speak to that aspect of the agreement, but any agreement on this issue is a step forward.

I can't find any information concerning the UAE having declared war on Israel, or any armed incursions, or any deaths of Israeli or UAE soldiers. I am not seeing a US-North Korea parallel.

How is the issue of a Palestinian homeland coming along?
Well we fought a war with North Korea that ended in an end to hostilities but never a peace treaty.  That was in 1953.  We've had no diplomatic relations with them.  While the "war" between UAE was non-existent I believe, all the Arab states including the UAE took a harsh stand against Israel and declared they would destroy it. Also, there have been four wars at least between Israel and other Arab states including Jordan and Egypt that made peace years ago.  So any kind of a "peace treaty" with another Arab nation and diplomatic relations is a step forward.  Since Trump was helpful in getting it done, he deserves credit for it. 
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 194   Go Up