Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid 19 Updates Part 2  (Read 30281 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Covid 19 Updates Part 2
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2020, 04:36:31 pm »

Here is an interesting background story on ventilator development and failure, https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/business/coronavirus-us-ventilator-shortage.html?referringSource=articleShare. The USA outsourced the development of a new generation of ventilators, some corporate take-overs occurred, the project ended. I skimmed through the article, not sure what to make of it.
--
Robert

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2020, 04:45:53 pm »

why would I want to read a book on cancer?  What does that book have to do with the thread? It would be helpful if you gave a synopsis.
Oh Alan! The mention of the book was to establish the doctors credentials... Read the bloody link to find out about the virus!
Then again, don't bother...!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

faberryman

« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2020, 04:51:19 pm »

Trumps guidelines "15 Days to Stop the Spread" are going to be up on Tuesday. Will he amend them or extend them or both? The only thing I have read is that he is going to do something on April 12, possibly rank each county in America based on risk and selectively open the economy back up. Did I miss the plan for the intervening time period?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2020, 05:19:13 pm »

I want to get people ready for what's coming. If the absolute worst is averted, the curve is flattened, we delay spread, protect the most vulnerable, etc., we should all be ready for the onslaught of opinion that will come out saying, "See it wasn't so bad, it was all a hoax after all, it was just like a regular flu."  This is coming. The fact that specific efforts were made to avoid the worst outcome will not be mentioned. It's the millennium bug hoax all over again. The fact that the worst didn't occur will be held up as proof that there was no problem to begin with. There's nothing to be done to prevent this onslaught, it will happen, just don't be surprised by it.  :)

No good deed goes unpunished. 

In any case, every leader pushed for shutdown.  However, Trump will fall back on his original statement that it's a "hoax".  Biden will say he was napping when the whole thing happened and missed it.  Sanders will say, "I wuz robbed.  The process is fixed"  Hillary will say she should have been president because she got more votes.  Every congressman will say they voted against the stupid bailout as it was a voice vote. (I think).  Senators serve for six years.  Everyone will forget the whole thing by the time they're up for re-election.  Only the families of the dead and workers who are unemployed will suffer. 

On the other hand, wouldn't it be great if you're right and things just end under the best conditions?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2020, 05:21:28 pm »

Oh Alan! The mention of the book was to establish the doctors credentials... Read the bloody link to find out about the virus!
Then again, don't bother...!
The moderator here requires an explanation of what a link is about.  Posting blind links asking people to read them is not allowed.  It's wasting everyone's time.

faberryman

« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2020, 05:25:59 pm »

The moderator here requires an explanation of what a link is about.  Posting blind links asking people to read them is not allowed.  It's wasting everyone's time.
God knows we don't have enough time on our hands to read stuff on the internet.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2020, 05:49:21 pm »

Wasn't he supposed to relinquish control of all his companies if he became president?

It's the perfect out for when he's out: he can blame the custodians; if he ends up richer, then it's thanks to his great, the greatest, foresight.

Fortune and ego are sides of the same coin. Both can be lethal for others: collateral damage.

To make matters worse, I have just noticed the iPad clock has shot forward an hour; that means that if I want to stay in time I have to lose some sleep, just like Trump. Sheesh.

There is no law that says he can't keep his business.  He put his sons in charge while he is in office. 

If his business grows good for him. If it does not so be it.   Trump pretty much had it made before he ran for office.  He takes no wages for being President and donates it all instead. 
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2020, 05:52:30 pm »

Trumps guidelines "15 Days to Stop the Spread" are going to be up on Tuesday. Will he amend them or extend them or both? The only thing I have read is that he is going to do something on April 12, possibly rank each county in America based on risk and selectively open the economy back up. Did I miss the plan for the intervening time period?

Thats the plan for now with guidance from the task force.  We will have to wait and see what they say.

Added in Edit:

Trump just said the social distancing guidelines will remain in place until the end of April.  We now have to see what the states do.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:41:25 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2020, 06:03:15 pm »

:)
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

Rob C

« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2020, 06:28:50 pm »

There is no law that says he can't keep his business.  He put his sons in charge while he is in office. 

If his business grows good for him. If it does not so be it.   Trump pretty much had it made before he ran for office.  He takes no wages for being President and donates it all instead.

Who said he couldn't keep it?

Wages for being pressie? Man, it's the greatest feather in any cap: worth a zillion times its weight in gold. Check out our own bunch. They know that too. The wages are hardly worth a mention.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2020, 06:42:27 pm »

Who said he couldn't keep it?

Wages for being pressie? Man, it's the greatest feather in any cap: worth a zillion times its weight in gold. Check out our own bunch. They know that too. The wages are hardly worth a mention.

Obama sure took the wages and ended up being a millionaire. 
Craig Lamson Photo

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2020, 06:58:37 pm »

Guys, this thread is not about Trump, and in particular not about his businesses, salary, or who he cares or not about. He should only be mentioned in his relation to the pandemic.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2020, 07:03:09 pm »

AK's point really is legitimate. 

Between gardening, cheese making, cooking, and retuning my business operations to shoot exteriors and product at my house, lord knows I dont have the time. 

Not to mention, it would be good to know if the link is actually viable and not some left or right wing crazy piece.  Knowing the poster though, it probably was.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

faberryman

« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2020, 07:14:33 pm »

Between gardening, cheese making, cooking, and retuning my business operations to shoot exteriors and product at my house, lord knows I dont have the time. 

Not to mention, it would be good to know if the link is actually viable and not some left or right wing crazy piece.  Knowing the poster though, it probably was.
My feeling is that if a link is posted without a summary, and you are unable to determine the topic by reference to the text of the link, you can elect not to click on it all by yourself. Nobody is forcing you to click on links and read them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:19:48 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2020, 07:14:43 pm »

Well if I have to watch a video, I'd rather watch Batman.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2020, 07:15:47 pm »

My feeling is that if a link is posted without a summary, and you are unable to determine the topic by reference to the text of the link, you can elect not to click on it all by yourself.
Maybe the moderator will explain the rule and why it's imposed? 

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2020, 07:42:01 pm »

Maybe the moderator will explain the rule and why it's imposed?

He did.  Almost two years ago.

faberryman

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2020, 07:51:16 pm »

He did.  Almost two years ago.
I am familiar with the rule. I am not sure who died and left Alan in charge of enforcing it.

Summary: This is a story about how the US is buying 80 tons of personal protective supplies and other medical equipment from China and other Asian countries and air lifting it over here. It seems these countries have plenty to sell. The article is silent as to whether these items are subject to the tariffs. Please note that this story appears in the New York Times and therefore may or may not be true depending on your political persuasion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/business/economy/coronavirus-china-supplies.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:12:09 pm by faberryman »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2020, 08:25:06 pm »

Instead of just showing a link with the implied message - "Trust me and read it", it would be a good practice to show always the three pieces of information Jeremy requested:

Poster's brief comment or position
Excerpt or summary of the quoted / external link
URL link(s)

Optionally, insertion of a suitable picture (typically from the quoted link) can be beneficial
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60   Go Up