Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60]   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid 19 Updates Part 2  (Read 30315 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Covid 19 Updates Part 2
« Reply #1180 on: April 04, 2020, 11:15:19 pm »

Craig, I interpreted Trump's remarks differently than you. Could be due to the difference between the American and Canadian spelling.

You are thinking singular.  It’s a group effort. 
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1181 on: April 04, 2020, 11:21:52 pm »

Bernard,

What do you think about Japan -- not the politics, but the numbers? Is it going to get bad? Is it already bad? I saw something that said a lot of Japanese wear masks in the Spring because of allergies, and that may have cut the spread of the virus. What do you think? Also, are you spending any time with a camera, documenting this? Empty train windows, that sort of thing? People here really don't believe this, but we're going to lose more Americans than we lost in all the wars we've fought after WWII, but nobody seems to be documenting it in a historical sense. It's all journalism, and the journalism isn't even very thoughtful and there's little attempt at objectivity by anyone.

John, Here are some photo essays by the NY Times.  They're one of the few newspapers keeping up with their essays although not to the full extent they use too.  I think you'll find them very heart wrenching.  These take place in Italy.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/27/world/europe/coronavirus-italy-bergamo.html

This one called The Great Empty.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/23/world/coronavirus-great-empty.html

Rural farm areas in America where the virus has attacked.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/business/coronavirus-rural-america-oregon.html

China's battle.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/25/world/asia/china-coronavirus-photos.html

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1182 on: April 04, 2020, 11:34:51 pm »

Bernard,

What do you think about Japan -- not the politics, but the numbers? Is it going to get bad? Is it already bad? I saw something that said a lot of Japanese wear masks in the Spring because of allergies, and that may have cut the spread of the virus. What do you think? Also, are you spending any time with a camera, documenting this? Empty train windows, that sort of thing? People here really don't believe this, but we're going to lose more Americans than we lost in all the wars we've fought after WWII, but nobody seems to be documenting it in a historical sense. It's all journalism, and the journalism isn't even very thoughtful and there's little attempt at objectivity by anyone

John,

I think that there are several things that can be said about Japan:
- considering that they have only tested so far people with pretty severe symptoms, the actual number of infected people is probably tens of times higher than reported
- but still, it seems true that they have faced extremely few numbers of severe cases, the hospitals are overall not more full than in normal years (as of today they have only 22 people suffering from severe symptoms in the whole of Japan)
- considering that they have never taken stringent measures nor closed flights from China, they should be facing a super high number of casualties if things were comparable to other countries, so there must be a difference. The high rate of mask usage has certainly contributed. Another interesting theory is that the BCG vaccine, in particular the type used in Japan (called Tokyo 172) may help reinforce the immunity system against lung disease and would therefore reduce a lot the severity of the symptoms when someone is infected. This theory is under under testing on a large scale in Holland and Australia at this time
- now they are starting to test more and they see more infected people, but still very few severe cases among Japanese natives
- no, I have been super busy with work and the schooling of my daughter, I have not had the opportunity to take pictures illustrating the situation, but the thing it that, since there is no confinement, Tokyo isn't empty at all. There are less people than usual, but it still feels rather busy. Totally different from what we see of European cities for example

On the political front, as I have written, I find their course of action extremely poor. I think they have been incredibly lucky so far.

Cheers,
Bernard

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1183 on: April 04, 2020, 11:35:59 pm »

I admit, that the post about Trudeau being able to read was perhaps not the most appropriate. That was actually a response to a later, entirely different post than to the Craig's post about Trump never denying the coronavirus risks. I should have said, that although both leaders can read, one reads more than the other.
A lot of ill will occurs here is because we're an international forum.  Idioms and other language quirks can often cause misunderstandings when translated.  Even when they don't, how we word responses especially in haste give a different tone then intended.  I'll even give credit to the fear this whole virus is creating. I know I feel it.  I feel like  a prisoner in my own home.  If I think too hard about it when I go to sleep, I can perceive an angel of death slipping under the door and taking me in the middle of the night.  Just reading that 7 of my neighbors got this thing and one died doesn't help. Sometimes I think I want to drive someplace safe.   But where would that be?  So I break out the alcohol and spritz here a little and spritz there a little.  Just to feel safer. Then I look at my wife, sound asleep already for hours.  She takes it better.  :-[

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1184 on: April 04, 2020, 11:53:41 pm »

A lot of ill will occurs here is because we're an international forum.  Idioms and other language quirks can often cause misunderstandings when translated.  Even when they don't, how we word responses especially in haste give a different tone then intended.  I'll even give credit to the fear this whole virus is creating. I know I feel it.  I feel like  a prisoner in my own home.  If I think too hard about it when I go to sleep, I can perceive an angel of death slipping under the door and taking me in the middle of the night.  Just reading that 7 of my neighbors got this thing and one died doesn't help. Sometimes I think I want to drive someplace safe.   But where would that be?  So I break out the alcohol and spritz here a little and spritz there a little.  Just to feel safer. Then I look at my wife, sound asleep already for hours.  She takes it better.  :-[

Sorry to hear about your neighbours, hopefully they will recover. I don't know here anybody with C19 virus, but recently two people in my close circle were diagnosed with a late stage cancer. One with a throat cancer already gone. The other with a bad pancreas cancer started the chemotherapy this week. 

Having a sleep problem is bad enough. Adding worries about the virus makes it much worse. You should ease up on the worry part. As long as you keep far enough from the others in the store or on the sidewalk, you'll be safe. To forget the current world problems, you can watch Netflix movies. It helps to get you through the night.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #1185 on: April 05, 2020, 12:12:29 am »

Just a little update.  There are complaints about social distancing at the White House press briefings.  I think it might be interesting to see what kind of space is really available open stage...

Craig Lamson Photo

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1186 on: April 05, 2020, 04:16:26 am »

Politics has removed their sense of humor. We all need to lighten up a little.

I think that action is more important, and that is being sorely missed in some countries.

== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rob C

« Reply #1187 on: April 05, 2020, 04:51:52 am »

A number of stop gap bills have been passed to help with the problem.  Not everyone will be made whole.  Lots of people will lose a lot of money and some their homes and businesses. No goverment can fix all of this.  Personally its going to cost me plenty.  It already has and it will continue.  The Government is not going to fix it all for me.  Thats just the facts of life.

And on the bulk of that message, at last we have something on which we agree: governments are not about changing the facts of life; they can only do so much economically, the rest is up to us, as sane individuals, to make the best of the deal we are handed by life.

Our challenge is to remain sane - in the case that we ever were to begin with - and do our best to help along the recovery of the nation's health, by which the sooner we achieve that, the sooner we fix the economic costs.

And we have all heard the rules and sound advice: keep away from others so that they do not infect us and that we do not infect them.

Rob C

« Reply #1188 on: April 05, 2020, 05:01:20 am »

This was so much more then just embarrassment.  What many on the left don't seem to understand is that he put it out there for everyone to read that 1/11 of our naval strength is now compromised by this virus. 

Even if it was, you don't announce it out to your enemies because they may not know it, and even if they have an idea there are always doubts on intelligence.  Now there are no doubts, which creates an opening to take advantage of. 

Regardless if you believe China's numbers or not, they were the first to get this and will more then likely be the first to recover from it. This gives them a great strategic advantage militarily already.  They know this, and anyone who does not think they will try and take advantage here has been living under a rock for the last 10 years. 

The captain's irresponsible handling of the situation on board only makes it a better situation for China to take advantage of.

And anyone who thinks, for even a moment, that China is going to attack the US - or any other western power - any time soon has been living not under a rock, but in a bubble of high-pressure hysteria. The days of surprise military attacks are over: it's why we have nukes, armed and ready to go, far more ready than we were to face disease. No country can afford the risk of setting off that nuclear Armageddon; it's why NK and Iran are so determined to join/stay in the club: they know its their only final guarantee of not being attacked by superior conventional strength.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1189 on: April 05, 2020, 05:04:35 am »

Enough. This time, it stays closed.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60]   Go Up