Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 60   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid 19 Updates Part 2  (Read 30313 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Covid 19 Updates Part 2
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2020, 03:00:58 pm »

This article was written by Siddhartha Mukherjee, the author of "Emperor Of All Maladies", a brilliant book on cancer.
You might find it interesting...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/04/06/how-does-the-coronavirus-behave-inside-a-patient#intcid=recommendations_default-popular_b45fb4bf-9e51-4ad5-9508-0e05a427e5d8_popular4-1
why would I want to read a book on cancer?  What does that book have to do with the thread? It would be helpful if you gave a synopsis.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2020, 03:09:57 pm »

But there are millions of people who don't have savings or are getting wiped out losing their jobs and live week to week through no fault of their own.  Its unfair to condemn them and ask them to sacrifice their families well being.  These people are not evil nor are those politicians who are working to protect the economy.  No, it isn't about Trump.  Trump is just reflecting what these people are concerned about.  Sure it's about re-election also.   That's why Trump is concerned.  He's reflecting the voter's concern so he can get re-elected.  Cuomo is doing the same thing as governor of NY.  He's hoping the democrat party will replace Biden with him as the presidential candidate.  That's how things work in a democracy.  If you want a government that operates on its own without worrying about re-election and what the people think, then go to North Korea or Cuba or Iran.

How can the democrat party replace Biden with Cuomo? In the 2020 election?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2020, 03:27:25 pm »

Easy, Biden wins a majority of delegates.  Powers to be convince him to release his delegates at the convention with the 'order' to vote for Cuomo.  Sanders and his delegates would go apoplectic if that happens but probably are powerless to stop it.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2020, 03:28:54 pm »

Obama will talk to Biden and tell him he's not well enough to be president and for the good of the country and party, to not run based on that let's say his doctors told him he's not well enough.  That way he could pull out gracefully.  And the Dems will select someone else. 

The other option is that Cuomo's making a play for VP under Biden.  Voters will be less concerned that Biden can't handle the job if a dynamic guy like Cuomo backstops him as VP.  Then  Cuomo can run in 2024 for president when Biden's retires then.  I don't think this is over yet.  There's going to be a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on.  The Democrat party doesn;t think Biden is up to it. 

I was watching CNN interview of Biden.  It was a town hall type meeting but everything was remote, not sure if the questions were even live.  It didn't look like iot.  But each answer Biden gave was obviously perfectly prepared for the questions.  CNN I'm sure told him in advance so he wouldn't screw it up.  The media is protecting him.  So if he wins, we'll windup with a zombie for president. Just what we need in the middle of a health and economic crisis.  But if the public figures him out, that he's not able to do the job, they'll vote for Trump, even if they don't, like Trump.  He may be an SOB,  But he's an effective SOB. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2020, 03:35:11 pm »

Easy, Biden wins a majority of delegates.  Powers to be convince him to release his delegates at the convention with the 'order' to vote for Cuomo.  Sanders and his delegates would go apoplectic if that happens but probably are powerless to stop it.
Good point.   Whatever they do, they'll have to keep Sander's supporters on-board to vote in November. 

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2020, 03:45:02 pm »

It's more about his reelection ...
With the economy tanking, there was little credit to claim.

What happened to a better Healthcare plan to replace the Affordable Care Act?
The Pandemic Response capability of the CDC was destroyed.

Oh, wait, this isn't about Trump, even if he thinks it is. This is supposed to be about putting together a plan to help the states that cannot handle such a crisis that transcends the state borders. This is not about states having to bid the highest price to get stockpiled assistance. This is about helping people to help people, organized by experts who actually know what they're doing.

This is about saving lives and avoid a horrible suffocation death for thousands upon thousands!

That is pure bs and it has been debunked here many times over.  But tell a lie long enough and hope it becomes the truth.

When it comes to how the states handle this , the President has very little legal say in the matter. He can try and remove regulations that get in the way of things like testing..he did.  He can declare an Narional Emergency and make money available  to the states...he did.  He can push companies to make things that are needed...he did.  He can send states materials, equipment from the Federal Stockpile...he did.  He can use FEMA to provice assistance...he did. He can offer guidence via his office or other Federal departments..he did.  He can close borders..if the liberal courts let hem....he did.  He cna propose legislation to help people stay afloat financially...he did. he can offer up military expertise and equipment to help states cope...he did.

What can he NOT do.  Close a State or even the entire country.  Tell a State how to conduct their business as it relates to the virus.  He has very little power to control this on a national basis.  Unless you want to mke him King.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2020, 03:46:39 pm »

That would explain some of his interviews and executive decisions.

I read he has been like this for a very long time.  I for one have few problems wiht his decisions and interviews.  YMMV
Craig Lamson Photo

pschefz

« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2020, 03:47:53 pm »

It's more about his reelection ...
With the economy tanking, there was little credit to claim.

What happened to a better Healthcare plan to replace the Affordable Care Act?
The Pandemic Response capability of the CDC was destroyed.

Oh, wait, this isn't about Trump, even if he thinks it is. This is supposed to be about putting together a plan to help the states that cannot handle such a crisis that transcends the state borders. This is not about states having to bid the highest price to get stockpiled assistance. This is about helping people to help people, organized by experts who actually know what they're doing.

This is about saving lives and avoid a horrible suffocation death for thousands upon thousands!
none of it seems to matter....we have a guy who, even in this situation, keeps to completely ignore science, contradict his own panel of professionals, goes from calling a worldwide situation a hoax to everyday muttering incoherently about "people say" and "I have a hunch"....it's just the flu, go back to work, we will be open by easter...and his followers eat it up, while dying...
I have been watching the WWII documentary series on Netflix with my kids and even they can see the parallels in the relentless propaganda machine churning out alternate realities....about whatever goes in handy....mexicans, Chinese, democrats, homeless....its not about the truth, it is about repeating the same thing over and over until it turns into what is generally accepted....there is no point arguing, because arguing it actually assumes a certain baseline of facts and reality....
look at England: "we are doing things differently here"....now that Charles and Boris have it we can see that his was all about a realization from the top that they would not have been able to handle it properly...and Charles and Boris will be fine....others less so....but who cares about them....
I am honestly appalled by the level of racist and fearful stupidity on a forum that is supposedly dedicated to an art form...
in the end this will blow over, the most unfortunate and the old will suffer most, the system in place is being kept up more and more desperately by older and older white men and in basic belief system includes some kind of karma idea...these guys kids already dont like them...the ones who brainwashed their kids into following the narrow path will go to a special kind of hell , the one where the grandparents are responsible for the grandkids hating their own parents....
short term thinking is one thing, trump managed to bring it down to twitter time span thinking, which really is no way of running anything....
schefz.com
artloch.com

pschefz

« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2020, 03:49:49 pm »

a true democracy!
schefz.com
artloch.com

Craig Lamson

« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2020, 03:51:49 pm »

Does his best thinking on the links? Just like others do their best thinkin' when they've been drinkin'?

Four hours of sleep per night: highly possible. It would take him most of the night to find his way past "greatest" in order to formulate the next clause in his tweets! The only existential game I believe he knows is the one surrounding the Trump fortunes.

I can't judge if I don't know; but you can speculate on the same basis?

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but since neither you or I are there we don't get to know.  Welcome to reality.

As to his fortunes. Being President has cost him buckets of his personal fortune.  I will specular he will be the only recent President to have less money when it leaves office than when he went in.  To think this is about his fortune disregards the facts on the ground.
Craig Lamson Photo

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2020, 03:52:27 pm »

Here is a proposed strategy for "re-starting" the US economy once the worst is over, https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/opinion/coronavirus-economy.html. It is predicated on the worst being over, that is it would be risky to attempt to re-start things until you knew for certain that the worst was over to get buy-in from all parties.

--
Robert

Craig Lamson

« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2020, 03:53:37 pm »

none of it seems to matter....we have a guy who, even in this situation, keeps to completely ignore science, contradict his own panel of professionals, goes from calling a worldwide situation a hoax to everyday muttering incoherently about "people say" and "I have a hunch"....it's just the flu, go back to work, we will be open by easter...and his followers eat it up, while dying...
I have been watching the WWII documentary series on Netflix with my kids and even they can see the parallels in the relentless propaganda machine churning out alternate realities....about whatever goes in handy....mexicans, Chinese, democrats, homeless....its not about the truth, it is about repeating the same thing over and over until it turns into what is generally accepted....there is no point arguing, because arguing it actually assumes a certain baseline of facts and reality....
look at England: "we are doing things differently here"....now that Charles and Boris have it we can see that his was all about a realization from the top that they would not have been able to handle it properly...and Charles and Boris will be fine....others less so....but who cares about them....
I am honestly appalled by the level of racist and fearful stupidity on a forum that is supposedly dedicated to an art form...
in the end this will blow over, the most unfortunate and the old will suffer most, the system in place is being kept up more and more desperately by older and older white men and in basic belief system includes some kind of karma idea...these guys kids already dont like them...the ones who brainwashed their kids into following the narrow path will go to a special kind of hell , the one where the grandparents are responsible for the grandkids hating their own parents....
short term thinking is one thing, trump managed to bring it down to twitter time span thinking, which really is no way of running anything....

Jeeze, how much fake news can you cram into a single post...BUCKETS it seems.  You need to back away from the keyboard. Maybe watch a movie....
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2020, 03:55:30 pm »

Here is a proposed strategy for "re-starting" the US economy once the worst is over, https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/opinion/coronavirus-economy.html. It is predicated on the worst being over, that is it would be risky to attempt to re-start things until you knew for certain that the worst was over to get buy-in from all parties.

Ezekiel J. Emanuel. Mr Death Panel himself.  Excellent.  [/sarcasm]

This is a hoot.

Stop the virus. A nationwide shelter-in-place or quarantine should take place for the next eight to 10 weeks.

Who does this?  The CDC has limited powers but the STATES have the power.   
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:02:16 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2020, 03:59:29 pm »

a true democracy!
  Nomination processes are not democratic.  Primaries are a rather new thing.  The selection process for most of our 235 year history has been mainly done in smoky backrooms where a lot of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch your back " deals were made. 

faberryman

« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2020, 03:59:34 pm »

As to his fortunes. Being President has cost him buckets of his personal fortune.  I will specular he will be the only recent President to have less money when it leaves office than when he went in.  To think this is about his fortune disregards the facts on the ground.
I don’t know. Don Jr. and Eric seem like a couple of stable geniuses who can keep the Trump Organization humming along. Besides, renting out hotel rooms and collecting green fees isn’t exactly rocket science.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:03:40 pm by faberryman »

Craig Lamson

« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2020, 04:03:52 pm »

I don’t know. Don Jr. and Eric seem like a couple of stable geniuses who can keep the Trump Organization humming along.

I'm sure they are doing their job.  So whats your point?  Do you even have one?
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2020, 04:04:18 pm »

If the guy is right, and you can't stop the infection, something I'm concerned about, then the only thing that will protect us is that it dies out on its own.  The isolation may not be so much to allow hospitals to function by not getting overloaded and spreading out the victim count, but to give the disease a chance to die in the spring, something no one has any control over.

If we aren't stopping it, and it doesn;t stop on its own, people like me at 75, are in for a hard time. 

Rob C

« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2020, 04:04:29 pm »

a true democracy!

Democracy is a myth. What you get are sophisticated but brutal games that perpetuate the façade of democratic decisions. Voting is not the guarantee: you can usefully only vote for the parties that manage to latch onto power through unions or organised wealth. For the rest, those cracks through which to fall are immense. It's why there are mostly two-party situations that occupy the thrones of societies such as Britain and the States: the minor leagues never get the critical mass. And where they do, the results are an even worse mess: think Italy and Spain, for starters; they change internal alliances like underwear.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:07:33 pm by Rob C »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2020, 04:08:49 pm »

I want to get people ready for what's coming. If the absolute worst is averted, the curve is flattened, we delay spread, protect the most vulnerable, etc., we should all be ready for the onslaught of opinion that will come out saying, "See it wasn't so bad, it was all a hoax after all, it was just like a regular flu."  This is coming. The fact that specific efforts were made to avoid the worst outcome will not be mentioned. It's the millennium bug hoax all over again. The fact that the worst didn't occur will be held up as proof that there was no problem to begin with. There's nothing to be done to prevent this onslaught, it will happen, just don't be surprised by it.  :)
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2020, 04:11:50 pm »

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but since neither you or I are there we don't get to know.  Welcome to reality.

Wasn't he supposed to relinquish control of all his companies if he became president?

It's the perfect out for when he's out: he can blame the custodians; if he ends up richer, then it's thanks to his great, the greatest, foresight.

Fortune and ego are sides of the same coin. Both can be lethal for others: collateral damage.

To make matters worse, I have just noticed the iPad clock has shot forward an hour; that means that if I want to stay in time I have to lose some sleep, just like Trump. Sheesh.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:15:43 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 60   Go Up