I feel that two weeks is an appropriate amount of time for this, and then to make necessary modifications so the economy does not tank. Such as, allow economic activity of all sorts to start up again while taking additional measures to care for the sick and elderly.
If the current state of things are tried to be implemented for more then two, at most three, weeks, I'm waiving my middle finger at city hall, end of story. Unless people start dropping like flies from this, it is going to universally happen.
Tough spot for the local and federal government, if the strict self isolation and businesses closures manage to control the pandemic, they risk being blamed for the economy tanking since they won't have a huge death toll to show. If they are lenient, then they risk having a huge death toll to show.
I think this thing needs to be dealt with extremes measures until it's 100% controlled. This tiny bug doesn't care about the market or people's income. One case left unsupervised could lead up to yet another event, and we haven't event started with this one.
I can assume that the administration has the right people advising on the matter (Trump's mouth aside) and that they know better than the members of a photography forum.