Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 72   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19 updates  (Read 82868 times)

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #360 on: March 17, 2020, 09:10:15 pm »

Okay, this really is getting stupid.  All of the golf courses here are shutting down.  Seriously? 

I cant think of an activity that keeps you away from large groups in a more open space then golf.  I mean I can understand locker rooms and club houses being an issue, but to shut down the courses?  What's next, a ban on fishing?
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

chez

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2501
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #361 on: March 17, 2020, 09:13:20 pm »

In a SHTF situation, I'd take a gun over scotch any day. 

A well aged rum though?  ???

Yes a 16 year old Cuban rum will do.
Logged

chez

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2501
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #362 on: March 17, 2020, 09:15:48 pm »

It seems that the virus of partisan silliness has reached community status. To change the subject, I report the sad news that I just dined in a restaurant for the last time in a while—choosing an outdoor table with suitable spacing.

Hope the chef didn't sneeze all over your plate and the waiter cleaned his hands lately.
Logged

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #363 on: March 17, 2020, 09:19:45 pm »

Okay, this really is getting stupid.  All of the golf courses here are shutting down.  Seriously? 

I cant think of an activity that keeps you away from large groups in a more open space then golf.  I mean I can understand locker rooms and club houses being an issue, but to shut down the courses?  What's next, a ban on fishing?

Just spoke with a friend from Florida.
Apparently, in Broward County they banned now also people from walking on the beach. I'd agree with banning all men wearing those silly 2 1/2 ft long swimming trunks, but how would a shapely woman in bikini infect anybody from a 6 ft distance?
Logged

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #364 on: March 17, 2020, 09:35:11 pm »

Just spoke with a friend from Florida.
Apparently, in Broward County they banned now also people from walking on the beach. I'd agree with banning all men wearing those silly 2 1/2 ft long swimming trunks, but how would a shapely woman in bikini infect anybody from a 6 ft distance?

We have now reached the point of total absurdity.  Amazing how quickly we got here. 

It is stuff like this that is ultimately going to make most people ignore government.  Closing down restaurants, bars, theatres, okay.  Beaches and large parks? 
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

John Camp

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2171
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #365 on: March 17, 2020, 09:50:57 pm »

My golf club has announced that we will no longer allow guests, and that members will not allowed to ride in the same cart unless they're domestic partners. Of all the sports I can think of, golf and swimming seem likely to be the safest. No spectators, no contact necessary. Probably stay away from wrestling.
Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #366 on: March 17, 2020, 10:18:28 pm »

We have now reached the point of total absurdity.  Amazing how quickly we got here. 

It is stuff like this that is ultimately going to make most people ignore government.  Closing down restaurants, bars, theatres, okay.  Beaches and large parks?

It must seem different for a younger person than it does for those over 65 who get hard by this thing. 

Don’t be a spreader.   If you get it it might not be a big thing.  Giving it to someone older, unwittingly, is a big deal.

It could kill them. Speaking as an older person, we are depending on you to take this seriously.

PS
My guess it’s lockdown nationwide by Friday.


Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5514
    • Robert's Photos
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #367 on: March 17, 2020, 10:25:52 pm »

The coronavirus has sparked the sales of guns and ammo. It is only a matter of time before someone gets shot at the grocery store over a roll of toilet paper. What are these people thinking?

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/gun-sales-rise-coronavirus-fears-trigger-personal-safety-concerns-n1161926

Isn't it the case that whenever just about anything happens, we hear that sales of guns go up? Smacks of marketing to me, am I too cynical?

It seems odd to me since the publicly quoted stats make it sound as if there are already more guns than people in the USA, do a few more gun sales make much difference? But the "reporting" of increased gun sales might spur people to buy more guns. It worked with toilet paper. It might be unseemly for a gun manufacturer to actively promote gun sales for the coming toilet paper apocalypse, they need something more subtle, so just release info to the press that gun sales are going up. Although it could even be true, it's plausible enough.

It's a bizarre reaction to a virus though.
Logged
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5514
    • Robert's Photos
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #368 on: March 17, 2020, 10:35:34 pm »

We have now reached the point of total absurdity.  Amazing how quickly we got here. 

It is stuff like this that is ultimately going to make most people ignore government.  Closing down restaurants, bars, theatres, okay.  Beaches and large parks?

Sure seems like overkill. I mean, the grocery stores there must still be open. But this is a local government requirement, so it's less surprising to me. With all those municipal, county, etc., jurisdictions, there are always going to be some that go a bit nuts. Those entities may not always have the most thoughtful people running things, and it may also depend on who was at the meeting that day. If no one was there to ask the right question and if the guy in charge doesn't live near a beach or doesn't play golf...  I'm just saying that no one should be surprised that people sometimes make dumb decisions.



Logged
--
Robert

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #369 on: March 17, 2020, 11:19:25 pm »

It must seem different for a younger person than it does for those over 65 who get hard by this thing. 

Don’t be a spreader.   If you get it it might not be a big thing.  Giving it to someone older, unwittingly, is a big deal.

It could kill them. Speaking as an older person, we are depending on you to take this seriously.

PS
My guess it’s lockdown nationwide by Friday.

This may be true, but if we dont develop a heard immunity it's a moot point. 

What are we going to do, bugger up for two months so no one catches it only for us to start spreading it around again after we come out. 

A vaccine is a year out and no way am I staying in for a year, not even a month.  Denmark seems to be the only one handling this with some sense.  Protect the old and vulnerable, but allow everyone to operate as normal, catch it and develop an immunity to it. 

I'll take it as seriously as I can without loosing my house or my market share.  They have a couple of weeks, three max, then the hustling begins again.  You know as well as I do, cash flow is almost more important that profits. 

At some point the effects of the economy crashing will be greater then the virus.  This cure is starting to look like it will be worse then the disease. 

And this does not mean I cant be critical of idiotic implications until then, like looking up vast public parks and forests. I can think of a lot more dangerous things in a forest that COVID19. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 11:41:50 pm by JoeKitchen »
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #370 on: March 18, 2020, 12:48:18 am »

For the more overexcited people here I can start another topic about how administration failed the covid response and you can continue the fight there, this it’s getting old.

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #371 on: March 18, 2020, 12:51:24 am »

This may be true, but if we dont develop a heard immunity it's a moot point. 

What are we going to do, bugger up for two months so no one catches it only for us to start spreading it around again after we come out. 

A vaccine is a year out and no way am I staying in for a year, not even a month.  Denmark seems to be the only one handling this with some sense.  Protect the old and vulnerable, but allow everyone to operate as normal, catch it and develop an immunity to it. 

I'll take it as seriously as I can without loosing my house or my market share.  They have a couple of weeks, three max, then the hustling begins again.  You know as well as I do, cash flow is almost more important that profits. 

At some point the effects of the economy crashing will be greater then the virus.  This cure is starting to look like it will be worse then the disease. 

And this does not mean I cant be critical of idiotic implications until then, like looking up vast public parks and forests. I can think of a lot more dangerous things in a forest that COVID19.

Yea we are going to lose the economy, and market share.  That’s the way it works.  I, like most everyone else am going to lose money and maybe even clients.  Thats the price we are going to pay.  I for one don’t want to see this thing kill anyone, not me, not my wife, not my parents, not my brothers and sisters....no one.  I really hope you and everyone will do what’s necessary to try and keep people alive. 

Two or three weeks are not going to do it.  45 days minimum. There is a pretty good chance you won’t be given an option.  This is going to be ugly Joe, and painful.  I don’t want to go through it, and I now you don’t.  But, there are the cards on the table. We gotta play the hand.

Here’s the problem with “ protecting it old” and business as usual.  It’s gonna kill people.    Parks and forests? You make contact with people who make contact with people who make contact with people and in the end people die.

The cure is going to well and truly suck.  It has cost a lot of us a lot of money already and it’s gonna cost a whole lot more before it ends.  We did’nt ask for this but we have it and that’s just the way it is.
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #372 on: March 18, 2020, 12:53:03 am »

For the more overexcited people here I can start another topic about how administration failed the covid response and you can continue the fight there, this it’s getting old.

Oh please...enough of the blame game.  It’s well past that point and your feelings are well know.
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #373 on: March 18, 2020, 12:53:45 am »

This may be true, but if we dont develop a heard immunity it's a moot point. 

What are we going to do, bugger up for two months so no one catches it only for us to start spreading it around again after we come out. 

A vaccine is a year out and no way am I staying in for a year, not even a month.  Denmark seems to be the only one handling this with some sense.  Protect the old and vulnerable, but allow everyone to operate as normal, catch it and develop an immunity to it. 

I'll take it as seriously as I can without loosing my house or my market share.  They have a couple of weeks, three max, then the hustling begins again.  You know as well as I do, cash flow is almost more important that profits. 

At some point the effects of the economy crashing will be greater then the virus.  This cure is starting to look like it will be worse then the disease. 

And this does not mean I cant be critical of idiotic implications until then, like looking up vast public parks and forests. I can think of a lot more dangerous things in a forest that COVID19.

It might work but there are some issues with this approach. How effective will be your elderly protection/isolation? How many people will not be working anyway, because while the young do better, they still get sick.
And most important, what’s your definition of old? There people in their low 40s dying currently in US.

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #374 on: March 18, 2020, 12:57:24 am »

Oh please...enough of the blame game.  It’s well past that point and your feelings are well know.

Can you leave your venom somewhere else? I don’t f... care about your politics, I opened this as a debate about how the epidemics is evolving, trying to keep it based on facts. If wanted to debate politics I would have done it long ago on the other topics. Zealots don’t belong here.

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #375 on: March 18, 2020, 12:58:21 am »

Isn't it the case that whenever just about anything happens, we hear that sales of guns go up? Smacks of marketing to me, am I too cynical?

It seems odd to me since the publicly quoted stats make it sound as if there are already more guns than people in the USA, do a few more gun sales make much difference? But the "reporting" of increased gun sales might spur people to buy more guns. It worked with toilet paper. It might be unseemly for a gun manufacturer to actively promote gun sales for the coming toilet paper apocalypse, they need something more subtle, so just release info to the press that gun sales are going up. Although it could even be true, it's plausible enough.

It's a bizarre reaction to a virus though.

What’s so bizarre about it?  People are afraid and they are looking for sometime that might offer some protection in the event of a really bad outcome.  Even if it won’t.  It’s not about toilet paper.
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

John Camp

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2171
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #376 on: March 18, 2020, 12:59:27 am »



<snip>
Two or three weeks are not going to do it.  45 days minimum. <snip>

If it's 45 days, I'd be ecstatic. I'm thinking we hit the peak sometime this summer. 
Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #377 on: March 18, 2020, 01:01:04 am »

Can you leave your venom somewhere else? I don’t f... care about your politics, I opened this as a debate about how the epidemics is evolving, trying to keep it based on facts. If wanted to debate politics I would have done it long ago on the other topics. Zealots don’t belong here.

That’s rich coming from you, who has used veiled political references for post after  post.  Take a good hard look in the mirror dude before you start calling people zealots.  Your hypocrisy is simply stunning.
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #378 on: March 18, 2020, 01:01:37 am »

Here some articles mostly about Covid: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/trending/

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: COVID-19 updates
« Reply #379 on: March 18, 2020, 01:02:01 am »

If it's 45 days, I'd be ecstatic. I'm thinking we hit the peak sometime this summer.

That very well may be.
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 72   Go Up