Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Appeal for a photography tech sub-forum  (Read 37092 times)

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Re: Appeal for a photography tech sub-forum
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 02:23:03 pm »

Hi Synn,

I also visit GetDPI, and postings are quite few there. Something you may appreciate that there are forums like "Fun with medium format" and "Fun with Sony A7r", posting on those forums doesn't put you in conflicts with folks using different stuff.

I have made a small donation to GetDPI, because they do a great service to the community, but I have a guess that they don't attract much in way of sponsoring.

Some very good discussion on GetDPI, but volume is low. MFD and Sony threads seem to be where the action is on GetDPI.

Best regards
Erik

As one of the founding fathers of GetDPI let me say starting it was never about numbers and never about revenue . Its mantra from day 1 has and always will be about learning, sharing and having fun with photography. Most everyone is learning at some stage in there photography and it's all about growing and learning. As a instructor on about 24 workshops and a working Pro for well over 30 years my thrust has always been about giving back. We do that with love and respect for everyone in a non hassle environment . Either you love it or you don't. But I never want to be or be seen as a DP review kind of forum. Quality of members is far more important.

About splitting the forum up into a technical forum. I urge Michael and Kevin not to do it. Its just a place to show off your engineering skills. It really has very little to do with being a better photographer and I Think LuLu is better than that.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 02:56:49 pm »

Hi Guy,

Thanks for making those points clear!

I really appreciate GetDPI and I hope I did not appear negative about the GetDPI forums.

Best regards
Erik

As one of the founding fathers of GetDPI let me say starting it was never about numbers and never about revenue . Its mantra from day 1 has and always will be about learning, sharing and having fun with photography. Most everyone is learning at some stage in there photography and it's all about growing and learning. As a instructor on about 24 workshops and a working Pro for well over 30 years my thrust has always been about giving back. We do that with love and respect for everyone in a non hassle environment . Either you love it or you don't. But I never want to be or be seen as a DP review kind of forum. Quality of members is far more important.

About splitting the forum up into a technical forum. I urge Michael and Kevin not to do it. Its just a place to show off your engineering skills. It really has very little to do with being a better photographer and I Think LuLu is better than that.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:07:10 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 03:08:17 pm »

No not all. I did not read it like that at all. Always nice to see the support for it.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 03:11:44 pm »

Taking about cameras is easy. Talking about photography is hard.  

While I know where you're coming from Synn, short of creating a "10 Words you Can't Say on Lula" list (where's George Carlin when we need him), you are raging against the deep reality that those who are more 'technically inclined' have a disproportionate urge to participate in the online photography discussion community.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

tsjanik

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2014, 03:19:24 pm »

...........Some very good discussion on GetDPI, but volume is low. .........

Hi Erik:

I'm quite fond of both LuLa (I've learned a lot here over the years) and GetDPI (great members) and I have to take objection to your statement that the volume at GetDPI is low.  I see Guy just posted and is too modest to point this out, so I will.  Assuming you think LuLa has a high volume, here are some numbers that might cause you to reconsider:

LuLa started in 2002 and has 757,632 posts which is a rate of approximately 63,136/yr. or 173/day.
GetDPI started in 2007 and has 598730 posts, a rate of approximately 85,532/yr. or 234/day.

The posting numbers appear at the bottom of each forum's index.  Note that GetDPI has a membership about 1/10 of that for LuLa.

Perhaps posting in your areas of interest is low and hence your impression.

Tom
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:28:21 pm by tsjanik »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for info and for taking objection. I am looking mostly at the Medium format forum and to a lesser extent to the Sony forum.

I am happy to hear that GetDPI is getting a lot more traffic than I believed. Sometimes it is nice to be wrong!

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik:

I'm quite fond of both LuLa (I learned a lot her over the years) and GetDPI (great members) and I have to take objection to your statement that the volume at GetDPI is low.  I see Guy just posted and is too modest to point this out, so I will.  Assuming you think LuLa has a high volume, here are some numbers that might cause you to reconsider:

LuLa stared in 2002 and has 757,632 posts which is a rate of approximately 63,136/yr. or 173/day.
GetDPI started in 2007 and has 598730 posts, a rate of approximately 85,532/yr. or 234/day.

The posting numbers appear at the bottom of each forum's index.  Note that GetDPI has a membership about 1/10 of that for LuLa.

Perhaps posting in your areas of interest is low and hence your impression.

Tom

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:35:22 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Theodoros

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2014, 03:59:13 pm »

LuLa stared in 2002 and has 757,632 posts which is a rate of approximately 63,136/yr. or 173/day.

Tom

Lula has much more many members because of its "For sale" section (which is considered to be the most effective by far out of all forums)...  Also a considerable amount of posts on Lula out of the 173/day are on that section... Get Dpi surely has more talking in discussions, but it also has much more involvement of the moderators in these discussions and I'm not sure more people read what is posted. Never the less, a forum attracts people (even if they don't get involved into conversations) depending on the importance or the solutions they find in the subjects posted...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2014, 03:59:43 pm »

Segregation? Apartheid? Ghettoization? Pigeonholing? Compartmentalization? Wagon circling? Zero tolerance? Patrolling, excluding, penalizing, excommunicating?

I read LuLa forums by clicking on two links, neither of which has anything to do with forums, sub-forums, micro-forums, etc. I click on "Show new replies to your posts" and "Show unread posts since last visit." I then read threads there, based on two things: interestingness of the thread title or who the author is.

I look into forums when I need to decide in which one to post my question or comment. In that case, I actually find the number of existing forums confusing and overwhelming. In other words, I would prefer less, not more of it. The advantage of the current structure, however good or bad it is, is that we got used to it.

Value of a discussion is in its varied points of view. Talking only to those who agree with us might give us temporarily a warm and fuzzy feeling, like comfort food. However, like the latter, it isn't good for our long term (intellectual) health. Reading a thread and coming across an objectionable post leaves us with several options: react, ignore temporarily, or ignore (the poster) for good. No need for "special education forums," "nerd sandboxes," etc.

On the other hand, since we are talking about forum pet peeves, here is mine: quoting a long post, especially those with a lot of pictures or graphs, only to add invaluable and profoundly insightful commentary of our own, the likes of "+1," "Well said," "I agree," etc.  ;)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2014, 04:23:23 pm »

Hey, "Cooter", it's time we talked about the J. cam again - remember RG?
 ;D

Edmund
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:00:12 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

bcooter

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 06:47:00 pm »

Hey, "Cooter", it's time we talked about the J. cam again - remember RG?
 ;D

Edmund

What's the saying?  I wouldn't belong to a club that would be willing to have me.

The J.Cam was pretty funny and ended those forums.  I don't think "Return Of the J Cam" is a good idea.

Anyway, I hate the idea of segregation, in any form.  

I like the divergent backgrounds and would be bored to tears if it was only professionals.  Same if it was only camera geeks.  This place has a pretty good mix and I think sharing works both ways.

I'll admit some of the tech posters and fan boys are a little over the top but hey, it's their time, their fingers, but if if bores you just click past.  I usually do because tech for techs sake isn't my bag.

But all of this is mute.  Michael and his gang are smart and if someone has a great idea, pm them and if it fits their business model I promise you they will give it thought.

IMO

BC

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2014, 07:33:57 pm »

But all of this is mute.

Three pages in a day! Definitely not mute. ;)

Jim

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2014, 10:04:19 pm »

Lula has much more many members because of its "For sale" section (which is considered to be the most effective by far out of all forums)...  Also a considerable amount of posts on Lula out of the 173/day are on that section...

Hmmm...

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2014, 10:11:09 pm »

Michael, Nick, Kevin and all,

This is the only sub forum we have where medium format shooters can talk about their gear, the images they shoot with it, tips and tricks and so on. As you know, almost all of these threads end up being some 10 page debate over an MTF chart or whatever. Now this is a free world and there's definitely a place for such discussions, but sometimes the photography oriented amongst us just wanna know if lens A or lens B is better for portraiture (Some images would be nice) or if Back A or Back B has nicer colors out of the box for landscaping (Again, images would be nice) without being subject to endless discussions on CCD vs CMOS, CFA construction and supplier landscape and of course, test charts after test charts. Moreso when most of these posts take the discussion away from a medium format related one to Medium format vs 35mm and whatnot.

Therefore, I would like to appeal for a sub forum to discuss the technical aspects of capturing an image. Format no bar. All the charts, graphs and feather images would be perfectly on topic there and there are enough active posters here to keep that forum alive and kicking.

Thank you.

I don't think it is just the MF forum. I think it is also the other main camera equipment forum as well.

In any case, I don't think that setting up another forum will help. I think the people to whom you are referring would still jump into the existing forums and engage in the kind of ultra-technical digressions with which you are concerned.

I must admit that I do not care for these digressions either, but I do not see what can be done about it as I doubt these people will restrain themselves and it is probably too much work for the current moderator to deal with, even if so inclined.

To be clear, the kind of digressions to which I object are, for example, ones that get deeply into sensor technology and the like, when that kind of arcane technical information is not what the original poster is concerned with, nor the other participants in the discussion.

As an aside, it is often hard for me to tell whether the people engaging in these kinds of discussions are actual professional engineers or just amateurs with a particularly strong interest in the subject. Frankly, to the extent that I want to know about very technical matters of hardware design and manufacture, I want to hear about it from people who are professionally engaged in the design, production and review of this equipment.  However, it is not such discussions, in and of themselves, to which I object, whoever is participating. It is just when people insert them into other discussions and then proceed to digress at great length.

In any case, as with most public forums on the Internet, I accept that it is pretty much of a free for all, and that moderators can generally only step in when something clearly violates the rules.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:59:12 am by David Eichler »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2014, 10:29:26 pm »

Synn,

That is a good point. But, you are not sole juror on quality and quantity is measurable.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, this gave me a laugh.  It's like the pot calling the kettle black.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:31:53 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

gerald.d

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2014, 10:31:58 pm »

Segregation? Apartheid? Ghettoization? Pigeonholing? Compartmentalization? Wagon circling? Zero tolerance? Patrolling, excluding, penalizing, excommunicating?

I read LuLa forums by clicking on two links, neither of which has anything to do with forums, sub-forums, micro-forums, etc. I click on "Show new replies to your posts" and "Show unread posts since last visit." I then read threads there, based on two things: interestingness of the thread title or who the author is.

I look into forums when I need to decide in which one to post my question or comment. In that case, I actually find the number of existing forums confusing and overwhelming. In other words, I would prefer less, not more of it. The advantage of the current structure, however good or bad it is, is that we got used to it.

Value of a discussion is in its varied points of view. Talking only to those who agree with us might give us temporarily a warm and fuzzy feeling, like comfort food. However, like the latter, it isn't good for our long term (intellectual) health. Reading a thread and coming across an objectionable post leaves us with several options: react, ignore temporarily, or ignore (the poster) for good. No need for "special education forums," "nerd sandboxes," etc.

On the other hand, since we are talking about forum pet peeves, here is mine: quoting a long post, especially those with a lot of pictures or graphs, only to add invaluable and profoundly insightful commentary of our own, the likes of "+1," "Well said," "I agree," etc.  ;)

+1

(sorry, couldn't resist)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2014, 12:15:59 am »

Erik, this gave me a laugh.  It's like the cat calling the kettle black.

Yeah, I think Synn's opinion is mewed :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2014, 12:35:38 am »

Yeah, I think Synn's opinion is mewed :)

Edmund
Oh man, I have been mixing up things lately!  "pot" ….      and I need more sleep! 
Rolleiflex USA

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2014, 01:11:00 am »

Indeed, it would make sense to simply tag our posts with key words (such as nerd, fanboy, Leica, landscape, MF, test, brickwall, sex on the beach,...) and to create our own dynamic "forums" by filtering for tags of interest (including the possibility to exclude some).

Those siloed forums feel a bit 90s. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 02:52:13 am by BernardLanguillier »

MrSmith

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2014, 03:24:06 am »

How about a separate forum for everyday cat/sunset/family members pics?

tjv

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2014, 04:05:27 am »

I can't be bothered reading all the responses on this thread, but I will say that I don't agree with creating extra forum areas.

I think some people just need to realise that they need not read all the comments in each thread, just as they need not respond to them. It seems a few people here lately have gotten more and more snarky in the way they react to posts they don't agree or identify with. To them I say just post what you think is relevant and of interest to you – and by extension what you think others would benefit from or be interested in you sharing – but there is no need to get personal or repeatedly complain about what other people post. At the end of the day, it's a simple choice about what kind of atmosphere and tone you want this forum to carry. At the moment, some of these threads read like a story of children fighting in a sandpit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up