Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Appeal for a photography tech sub-forum  (Read 37223 times)

bcooter

Re: Appeal for a photography tech sub-forum
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2014, 05:22:28 am »

How about a separate forum for everyday cat/sunset/family members pics?

+300

BC
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:24:24 am by bcooter »

MrSmith

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2014, 06:47:35 am »

it’s a commissioned image in the commissioned section, it will not be reposted again and again on lens/body/sensor threads.
it’s annoyance factor must be pretty low.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2014, 07:09:07 am »

How about a separate forum for everyday cat/sunset/family members pics?

I love the idea!

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2014, 07:49:47 am »

I love the idea!

Cheers,
Bernard

Exceptional DR in natural light - Sony sensor or Phase?  :)
Is that an Otus?
Strangely I think the front bokeh looks better than the back bokeh.

Oh, wait, I'm not allowed to say the girl is a cute kid (family member, methinks) or note the DR and bokeh (tech stuff), maybe what we really ought to talk about is the price of the equipment and the price someone pays for the image -

Maybe the OP would prefer we do "honest critiques" of the professional's images' artistic content - I'm sure that would spread peace and understanding on this forum.

Edmund

PS - Bernard, I think you used your camera in exactly the spirit photography was invented - to capture an instant so that it could be better remembered and even shared.Not to show an airbrushed model in a contrived situation.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 08:27:39 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

MrSmith

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2014, 08:08:41 am »

"Each to their own.”

fair enough. i think I’m done here.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2014, 08:31:31 am »

Exceptional DR in natural light - Sony sensor or Phase?  :)
Is that an Otus?
Strangely I think the front bokeh looks better than the back bokeh.

Oh, wait, I'm not allowed to say the girl is a cute kid (family member, methinks) or note the DR and bokeh (tech stuff), maybe what we really ought to talk about is the price of the equipment and the price someone pays for the image -

Some moments are priceless! ;)

And yes, the front bokeh of the Otus, at least in the 1m in front of the subject is very nice!

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2014, 08:56:44 am »

Some moments are priceless! ;)

And yes, the front bokeh of the Otus, at least in the 1m in front of the subject is very nice!

Cheers,
Bernard

It's rare to see nice front OOF outside the movie industry.
Oh, wait the Otus is probably a digital cinema design.

Yeah, I find it interesting that a technology invented to assist memory by fixing the rugosity of reality has been turned into a technology for persuasion by means of generic situations. But then I'm surely not the first one to notice that novels sell better than diaries and biographies :)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:00:38 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2014, 10:28:06 am »

I read the initial request and giggled, have been super busy the past couple days, today checked back in and saw 4 pages, 70 responses and had a good hearty laugh.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

jerome_m

« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2014, 05:06:49 pm »

As one of the founding fathers of GetDPI let me say starting it was never about numbers and never about revenue . Its mantra from day 1 has and always will be about learning, sharing and having fun with photography. Most everyone is learning at some stage in there photography and it's all about growing and learning. As a instructor on about 24 workshops and a working Pro for well over 30 years my thrust has always been about giving back. We do that with love and respect for everyone in a non hassle environment . Either you love it or you don't. But I never want to be or be seen as a DP review kind of forum. Quality of members is far more important.

Indeed I noticed that I did not find the same endless discussion in the getdpi MF section as in the luma MF sections. At first, I thought that moderation was more efficient in getdpi.

However, there is another difference. In getdpi there is an option to ignore users. It is directly available under the user control panel. Maybe this would be worth pursuing.

tjv

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2014, 05:14:43 pm »

Indeed I noticed that I did not find the same endless discussion in the getdpi MF section as in the luma MF sections. At first, I thought that moderation was more efficient in getdpi.

However, there is another difference. In getdpi there is an option to ignore users. It is directly available under the user control panel. Maybe this would be worth pursuing.

You can do that here, too. It's just quite convoluted to get to. Only problem I find with it is that it blocks the posts when reading in a web browser, but not Tapatalk.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2014, 11:13:28 pm »

Been busy for a couple of days, came back to this thread and saw the usual verbal diarrhea happening after the first couple of posts. It's hilarious how after page 2, every thread reads exactly the same.

Some of the arguments are beyond hilarious. Elitism? Ok, let's combine the compact system cameras forum with the medium format one because we don't want to appear elitist. Or how about merging all the post production software forums with the film forum because you know how elitist them film shooters can be!

No, it's called keeping topics of a similar nature in the same place so that they don't cross pollute. Not every newbie who comes in here for buying advice needs to know who makes the CFA array for Dalsa and whatnot.

You know what guys, keep doing what you're doing. Just don't get too upset when people like me point out that your walls of text have nothing to do with the thread title.

P.s. Edmund, I believe the camera was created by people who spent hours setting them up for the perfect shot and even more hours post processing the shot in the darkroom. Maybe french schools taught history differently.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

jerome_m

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2014, 01:13:03 am »

You can do that here, too. It's just quite convoluted to get to. Only problem I find with it is that it blocks the posts when reading in a web browser, but not Tapatalk.

How does one set the luminous landscape forum to ignore a specific user, please?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2014, 01:29:14 am »

How does one set the luminous landscape forum to ignore a specific user, please?

It works on both, personal messages and posts.

jerome_m

« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2014, 01:30:46 am »

Thank you. I thought this would only work for personal messages.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2014, 01:46:49 pm »

Hi,

I am the obvious cause of Synn's irritation, so I can volunteer to leave this forums if his view is shared by other posters. No easy decision as I find this forums great, and a great learning experience.

Best regards
Erik

Michael, Nick, Kevin and all,

This is the only sub forum we have where medium format shooters can talk about their gear, the images they shoot with it, tips and tricks and so on. As you know, almost all of these threads end up being some 10 page debate over an MTF chart or whatever. Now this is a free world and there's definitely a place for such discussions, but sometimes the photography oriented amongst us just wanna know if lens A or lens B is better for portraiture (Some images would be nice) or if Back A or Back B has nicer colors out of the box for landscaping (Again, images would be nice) without being subject to endless discussions on CCD vs CMOS, CFA construction and supplier landscape and of course, test charts after test charts. Moreso when most of these posts take the discussion away from a medium format related one to Medium format vs 35mm and whatnot.

Therefore, I would like to appeal for a sub forum to discuss the technical aspects of capturing an image. Format no bar. All the charts, graphs and feather images would be perfectly on topic there and there are enough active posters here to keep that forum alive and kicking.

Thank you.

Erik Kaffehr

tjv

« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2014, 02:50:21 pm »

Erik,
Don't leave. You've been nothing but courteous and have contributed a lot to this place.
TJV

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2014, 03:04:05 pm »

I am the obvious cause of Synn's irritation, so I can volunteer to leave this forums if his view is shared by other posters. No easy decision as I find this forums great, and a great learning experience.

Erik, this makes no sense to me at all. If Synn doesn't want to see your posts, there is already a mechanism he can use  to effectuate that (and no one is forcing him to respond to them). Many of the rest of us, me included, do want to see your posts. By leaving, you would deprive us of that privilege.

Jim

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2014, 03:20:41 pm »

Thank you, sir, I really appreciate your words!

Erik
Erik, I've a fine art background, I'm really not a techy kind of guy. I won't pretend I read much of what you say, I won't pretend I understand much of what you say, I won't pretend I'm interested in much of what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it.

I do understand that many here would like to see less in the way of tech talk but that's down to those who want it to create it rather than moan.

BTW, you've always struck me as being the perfect gentleman. Carry on sir.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:24:52 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

jerome_m

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2014, 03:22:42 pm »

Don't do that.

The reason I was asking for an "ignore" function is because it appears to be the perfect solution for Synn. He does not want to see some posts. He should just put the posters on his ignore list. Problem solved, for him.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2014, 03:26:34 pm »

Thanks Jerome,

Best regards
Erik

Don't do that.

The reason I was asking for an "ignore" function is because it appears to be the perfect solution for Synn. He does not want to see some posts. He should just put the posters on his ignore list. Problem solved, for him.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up