Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466516 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #15660 on: February 04, 2023, 09:58:22 pm »

The interweb seems to be calling it a "spy" balloon. Has anyone heard a credible reason why anyone would use a balloon for spying? Wouldn't it be easier to just look up your satellite images. Or check google's.

And why shoot it down? Surely a balloon is slow moving enough that they could have figured out a way to capture it and examine the spy equipment on board. If I were writing the plot for the movie, that's what I'd do: capture the balloon but tell everyone you shot it down. I've watched enough episodes of BBC's MI5 TV show to figure this out. ;)

Maybe it's a false flag antifa balloon.

Maybe George Santos launched it.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15661 on: February 05, 2023, 11:11:59 am »

I assume they tried to retrieve whatever fell out of the sky after they shot the balloon, although any info it had accumulated would have been transmitted tom home base long ago. Let's see if they tell us about the contents, if any of it survived the fall. Whatever the contents were, I'm sure their propaganda value is greater than their actual value.

If I were writing the plot for the paranoid TV movie of the week, I'd opt for it trying to retrieve real estate data from those sites that rich people pay Google to mask from the rest of us. Now there's a plot worthy of the best conspiracy theory. ;)

--
Robert

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15662 on: February 06, 2023, 11:15:36 am »

The interweb seems to be calling it a "spy" balloon. Has anyone heard a credible reason why anyone would use a balloon for spying? Wouldn't it be easier to just look up your satellite images. Or check google's.

And why shoot it down? Surely a balloon is slow moving enough that they could have figured out a way to capture it and examine the spy equipment on board. If I were writing the plot for the movie, that's what I'd do: capture the balloon but tell everyone you shot it down. I've watched enough episodes of BBC's MI5 TV show to figure this out. ;)

And now the GOP are whining and kvetching that we didn't shoot it down sooner, before it took photos of some cornfields and such.

TechTalk

« Reply #15663 on: February 11, 2023, 05:14:10 pm »

The habitually outraged and foaming at the mouth brigade would more likely claim that George Soros launched it in another of his endless and nefarious plots.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #15664 on: February 11, 2023, 07:16:20 pm »

I thought it was sent by little green men from Mars, since they don't have enough atmosphere to fly balloons on their planet.    :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #15665 on: February 13, 2023, 06:30:50 am »

Pentagon should have used a BB gun instead of a poweful missile to make a small hole in the balloon, which would then descend gently on the ground.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #15666 on: February 13, 2023, 09:17:46 am »

But by the time they filled out and submitted the requisition papers for the BB gun, the balloon would have been long gone.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15667 on: February 13, 2023, 10:46:28 am »

Since the original there have been two more "downings" of USOs (unidentified spying objects), one over Lake Huron. My understanding is that many countries launch many weather balloons every day and have done so for years. I suppose it's possible that "spy" versions could have been sent up in the midst of all those. Is someone playing with test drones?

But have there been any credible statements from anyone that this would be a useful way to spy. I mean, the skies are full of stuff with cameras onboard, why bother with slow moving balloons. I say balloons, but have we heard what the second and third USOs were. So far, the notion that these are spy devices is being pushed a bit too fast for my taste. Until they examine the debris, it seems a bit premature.

Are there photos being released of the objects before they were shot down? They must have some.

--
Robert

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #15668 on: February 13, 2023, 01:23:32 pm »

I just came upon a young child holding a balloon by a string. He let go of the string, but the balloon disappeared before I could run home to get my Ouzi to shoot it down.   :(

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15669 on: February 13, 2023, 01:26:20 pm »

I just came upon a young child holding a balloon by a string. He let go of the string, but the balloon disappeared before I could run home to get my Ouzi to shoot it down.   :(

Good to remain vigilant.
--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #15670 on: February 13, 2023, 01:43:13 pm »

I guess this is not a good year to take a hot-air balloon ride for photographing rural landscapes in North America.

faberryman

« Reply #15671 on: February 13, 2023, 01:44:44 pm »

But have there been any credible statements from anyone that this would be a useful way to spy. I mean, the skies are full of stuff with cameras onboard, why bother with slow moving balloons. I say balloons, but have we heard what the second and third USOs were. So far, the notion that these are spy devices is being pushed a bit too fast for my taste. Until they examine the debris, it seems a bit premature.

On the other hand, you might want to ask why the Chinese were interested in the weather over Malmstrom AFB, Montana, home to 150 Minuteman missiles with MIRVed  nuclear warheads. Even I can tell you that currently it is 49°F with winds from the SW at 27MPH. I have no idea what the balloons or whatever were doing over Alaska, Canada, or Lake Huron. Probably an innocent explanation. High school science project or aliens or something.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 01:51:40 pm by faberryman »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15672 on: February 13, 2023, 02:03:49 pm »

On the other hand, you might want to ask why the Chinese were interested in the weather over Malmstrom AFB, Montana, home to 150 Minuteman missiles with MIRVed  nuclear warheads. Even I can tell you that currently it is 49°F with winds from the SW at 27MPH. I have no idea what the balloons or whatever were doing over Alaska, Canada, or Lake Huron. Probably an innocent explanation. High school science project or aliens or something.

Well ok, but it's not as if those locations were secret. You knew about them!  :)

Be interesting to find out from someone in the weather business how far and wide these things stray. Is it possible to direct them to a specific place and not rely on winds, i.e., can they navigate?

--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #15673 on: February 13, 2023, 05:17:13 pm »

Well ok, but it's not as if those locations were secret. You knew about them!  :)

Yeah, I'm not sure why they would be using balloons. They soft landed a spacecraft on the far side of the Moon, so surely they are able to put a spy satellite in low earth orbit. I read something about capturing communications transmissions. Some communications signals bounce off the ionosphere and never reach the height of low earth orbit, so if you are going to spy, maybe you need balloons and satellites. I am obviously clutching at straws.

News flash: the White House has ruled out aliens. Darn. Of course they could be lying. Maybe someone needs to launch a balloon over Area 51 to monitor for any unusual activity.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 05:23:26 pm by faberryman »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15674 on: February 13, 2023, 05:58:10 pm »

Yeah, I'm not sure why they would be using balloons. They soft landed a spacecraft on the far side of the Moon, so surely they are able to put a spy satellite in low earth orbit. I read something about capturing communications transmissions. Some communications signals bounce off the ionosphere and never reach the height of low earth orbit, so if you are going to spy, maybe you need balloons and satellites. I am obviously clutching at straws.

News flash: the White House has ruled out aliens. Darn. Of course they could be lying. Maybe someone needs to launch a balloon over Area 51 to monitor for any unusual activity.

I wonder if we'll ever know the facts.
--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #15675 on: February 13, 2023, 06:21:07 pm »

I wonder if we'll ever know the facts.
The facts will eventually be revealed on The History Channel.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15676 on: February 13, 2023, 10:12:51 pm »

--
Robert

marvpelkey

« Reply #15677 on: February 13, 2023, 11:16:44 pm »

Happened to be changing channels and came upon a news agency reporting the just-occurred MSU mass shooting.

Man, you Americans are sure f*&^%d up.....

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #15678 on: February 14, 2023, 06:12:32 am »

Murders in large U.S. cities were down 5 percent in 2022 compared to 2021. Gun deaths, injuries and mass shootings were also down in 2022.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15679 on: February 14, 2023, 10:20:10 am »

Be interesting to find out from someone in the weather business how far and wide these things stray. Is it possible to direct them to a specific place and not rely on winds, i.e., can they navigate?

Navigation? No, one does not "send" a balloon anywhere except downwind.
Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 808   Go Up