Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 807   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 464999 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #15700 on: March 09, 2023, 05:07:29 pm »

We need to keep correcting the spelling.
It's "Faux News," not "Fox News."
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15701 on: April 06, 2023, 07:26:22 am »

There's some interesting food for thought in this article about how De Santis in Florida uses laws to retaliate against opponents, especially corporate ones, https://thehill.com/business/3935602-why-ron-desantis-is-fighting-with-disney/. From my point of view, conservatives should have pushed back more against these moves, including the one against Disney. They seem to be contrary to what conservatives claim to believe in, but humans are nothing if not complex. They seem to be whipped up into a pseudo anti-woke frenzy and that seems to be prioritized over anything else at the moment. To be fair though, if I were a Floridian I'm not sure that I'd be ok with allowing a private corporation to have government-like powers over a territory.

But there's one thing that would really gall me if I lived there and I'm surprised that more people aren't venting about it. I refer to parts of this paragraph from the article:

"DeSantis is the most aggressive in cracking down on companies. He led bills to prohibit diversity training in the workplace and block companies from considering environmental, social, and corporate governance (ESG) factors when investing. He also vetoed $35 million in funding for a Tampa Bay Rays facility after the baseball team called for action to stop gun violence."

Those moves seem to make De Santis the king of woke, don't they? Specifically his moves regarding "...ESG factors when investing...". I don't mean to be rude but who the f**k does this politician think he is to try to tell people how to invest their money? It's none of his damn business. People can choose to invest or not invest their money in any damn way they want and it's none of his concern. It's incredible what people are gullible enough to swallow if you feed them the right propaganda. God forbid kids in school talk about "gay", oh no not that, but let the government tell you how to invest your money, well, that's ok. What idiocy.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15702 on: April 09, 2023, 07:06:57 am »

Should these Tennessee shenanigans be in the humour thread? https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/04/08/tennessee-descent-statehouse-mag-00091090.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15703 on: April 10, 2023, 03:54:59 pm »

The "war" on drugs might intensify, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/10/gop-bomb-mexico-fentanyl-00091132.

I guess some people still think that the use of illegal drugs is a supply-side issue.

Who are they going to bomb?

Public policy discussions all sound like drunken bar talk now.

--
Robert

marvpelkey

« Reply #15704 on: April 10, 2023, 07:36:11 pm »

I think the GOP (and some Dems too) have gone way past the drunken bar talk. Some of their recent activities suggest they are now in drunken bar brawl territory.

With a customer base so large as that in the U.S., does anyone really think by blowing up some bad Mexicans (although it wouldn't hurt, in general....) that the problem will simply go away? The void will be filled quickly enough, perhaps even by some  in the their own country. What then, blow up the local drug houses?

I think the biggest problem in the U.S., is no-one really knows how to fix the problem. So they just start throwing out crazier and crazier "solutions".

As a former cop (in Canada, but it's all the same), who was involved in so many drug files over the years, I can tell you the problem will never go away and will just continue to grow. That train is out of control and can't be stopped.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15705 on: April 18, 2023, 06:56:42 am »

Every day, a new low https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3955160-desantis-floats-building-prison-on-land-next-to-disney-world/.

I guess in Florida if you don't agree with the governor, the state comes after you any way it can. Benito would be proud. :)
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
--
Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15707 on: April 24, 2023, 02:05:10 pm »

Shocking!

"FOX News Media and Tucker Carlson have agreed to part ways," the company said in a short news release. "Mr. Carlson's last program was Friday April 21st."The network announced the stunning news days after it agreed to pay nearly $800 million to Dominion Voting Systems to avert a high-stakes defamation trial that had cast a shadow over the future of the network.
After Smartmatic gets even more money out of Fox not-news, who's next?  :)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #15708 on: April 25, 2023, 11:33:22 am »

Who's next? Don Lemon of CNN.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15709 on: April 25, 2023, 11:59:22 am »

Who's next? Don Lemon of CNN.
The question was who's next on Fox** and I can totally understand how you missed that and more!**
FWIW, Don getting fired was justified and I fully support CNN for doing so.

Shocking!
**After Smartmatic gets even more money out of Fox not-news, who's next?  :)

Did you forget:
Guess what? This is my last response to any of your BS. If you want to have an honest discussion, I will reply, but I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 12:02:31 pm by digitaldog »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15710 on: April 25, 2023, 12:32:41 pm »

The MAGA crowd should be happy Tucker has this opening:

Tucker Carlson is out at Fox News, but welcome on Russian TV
The ousted anchor was offered work by state-run news channels in Moscow that echo much of his conspiratorial rhetoric on the war in Ukraine.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/tucker-carlson-offered-jobs-russian-state-tv-channels-putin-ukraine-rcna81281

marvpelkey

« Reply #15712 on: April 25, 2023, 10:13:12 pm »

Not a reply to some of the most recent posts, but something I have been wondering about...

So, I have lived (up here in Canada) for a number of generations and through a number of changes in governments, national, provincial, local etc. Each election cycle, either side laments a loss and bemoans we're all destined to hell, whilst the other side celebrates a new beginning and salvation. It appears, perhaps, it is the same in the States, but I could be wrong, and partly the reason for this post.

However, for me at least, life goes on. I saw/see little real and immediate change to my existence. I kept making a wage and paying bills etc. and I encountered, perhaps luckily, little deviation from middle road trajectory. I will admit, I was in Law Enforcement for 30 years, and my income was not directly related to the vagaries of the economy, so may be a bit blind in that respect. I don't recall any drastic changes between governments, regardless of political leanings. Most of the significant changes were as a result of events/forces that were not related to a single change in a ruling party. Subtle changes perhaps, but nothing which lead to the anticipated sky is falling.

Some may point to government policy/power which has more long term effects, like climate change (although I would argue that bus left the station a long time ago and now a change in government has little effect, one way or another) and even the "stacking" of the U.S. Supreme Court (eg Roe v Wade, but I don't think Trump thought that one through). Brexit perhaps...

Thoughts?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15713 on: April 26, 2023, 07:18:24 am »

Not a reply to some of the most recent posts, but something I have been wondering about...

So, I have lived (up here in Canada) for a number of generations and through a number of changes in governments, national, provincial, local etc. Each election cycle, either side laments a loss and bemoans we're all destined to hell, whilst the other side celebrates a new beginning and salvation. It appears, perhaps, it is the same in the States, but I could be wrong, and partly the reason for this post.

However, for me at least, life goes on. I saw/see little real and immediate change to my existence. I kept making a wage and paying bills etc. and I encountered, perhaps luckily, little deviation from middle road trajectory. I will admit, I was in Law Enforcement for 30 years, and my income was not directly related to the vagaries of the economy, so may be a bit blind in that respect. I don't recall any drastic changes between governments, regardless of political leanings. Most of the significant changes were as a result of events/forces that were not related to a single change in a ruling party. Subtle changes perhaps, but nothing which lead to the anticipated sky is falling.

Some may point to government policy/power which has more long term effects, like climate change (although I would argue that bus left the station a long time ago and now a change in government has little effect, one way or another) and even the "stacking" of the U.S. Supreme Court (eg Roe v Wade, but I don't think Trump thought that one through). Brexit perhaps...

Thoughts?

I don't think you're far wrong. The real differences between political parties (especially here in Canada) were never as great as their public rhetoric made it sound during election campaigns. You hear arguments framed in left-right terms a lot but I think that most of that is posturing, the way guys act when there are women present, it's just struttin'.  :)

We pretty much all live in mixed private/public economies and the fact that many countries have evolved to this state implies to me that it makes sense that we ended up here. There are things in life that are private and there are things that affect the public at large, so how can it be otherwise.

Sometimes people flirt with dumb ideas and they get their knuckles rapped. The private prison industry did a lot of lobbying back when Stephen Harper was around, but when that came to light it died a quick quiet death, which is a good thing in my opinion. At least I think it's dead, I hope it is. There are similar examples with every politician who ever lived, I just happened to remember that one.

What may be different lately is that people without much sophistication get to speak very loudly on social media. In the past, no one would know who they were. So we get a lot of silicone valley tech bros lecturing the rest of us about we don't need government institutions any more. They get heard because they're rich, and by and large we perk up and listen when rich people speak because we have some vestigial belief that they must know something because they are successful. The best you probably say is that some of them do and some don't. With enough rope, some just hang themselves (e.g. Elon Musk, FTX, many others). Nowadays it all happens in our faces on social media. In the old days we'd gather in the town square and gossip about our neighbours, now people who can barely spell the words are talking about Adam Smith and libertarianism. What may also be happening is that what happens in the US takes places at 200 db and drowns out everything else because their players have too much money and too much access to all the public forums, so they end up attaining more importance that they should really have. Trouble is, that's sometimes really entertaining.

Luckily people still get up, eat, go to work, spend time with their friends and families, even take photographs of interesting things to show each other. So it's not all lost.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 08:31:59 am by Robert Roaldi »
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15714 on: April 28, 2023, 07:23:24 am »

The plague that never goes away it seems, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65305145.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
--
Robert

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15716 on: April 28, 2023, 08:23:09 am »

Thoughts?

I am in a similar situation--retired, stable and more-than-adequate income, etc. so the political wind shifts have essentially no effect on me. But I do have a social conscience, or whatever you call it, and there winds have a lot of effects on others. Here in North Carolina, the Republican legislature has been busy and the results include underfunded public schools, pollution of public waterways, discrimination against gay/lesbian/trans people, messing up the public university system, extreme gerrymandering -- the list goes on. I cannot just sit in my comfortable cocoon and ignore this stuff.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15717 on: April 28, 2023, 08:38:33 am »

I am in a similar situation--retired, stable and more-than-adequate income, etc. so the political wind shifts have essentially no effect on me. But I do have a social conscience, or whatever you call it, and there winds have a lot of effects on others. Here in North Carolina, the Republican legislature has been busy and the results include underfunded public schools, pollution of public waterways, discrimination against gay/lesbian/trans people, messing up the public university system, extreme gerrymandering -- the list goes on. I cannot just sit in my comfortable cocoon and ignore this stuff.

One very odd thing about these developments is how environmental protections seem to have become "libtard" ideas that need destroying, which is truly bizarre.

And why would "conservatives" want to use government powers to interfere in people's privates lives (re LBGTQ rights)? These are private matters, none of the government's business. I think I read that De Santis wants to give the state the power to remove children from parents if those parents are helping their kids transition. That's an incredible development, puts a lie to all the GOP's talk about "parental rights" or "constitutional freedoms". They've completely lost the plot over something that actually affects so very few people. If there were ever an issue in which government has no part to play, this one would be it.
--
Robert

marvpelkey

« Reply #15718 on: April 28, 2023, 08:44:51 pm »

Read the article on maintaining gun violence stats. Interesting how even just keeping records about violence can affect someone. I also found this last part of one paragraph a bit interesting "...those looking to make sense of American gun violence." There is no sense to gun violence, so stop looking... In my 30 years in Law Enforcement, I attended plenty of scenes of violence, quite a few by firearms. There was no sense to any of it.....ever.

And in response to PeterAlt's comments (haven't figured out yet how to quote someone) - I've never seen a black and white change in some of the topics (underfunded public schools, pollution, gerrymandering...) when one government changes to another, regardless of political stripe. Maybe a gentle to and fro, but every political season, the government in power gets called out for it's lack of activity in "insert issue". I will agree, however, that the more recent Republican bunch (US) has gone way off the deep end on some issues. And I find it really difficult to understand their rationale. And I never meant to suggest that I sit in my cocoon and ignore this stuff.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #15719 on: April 29, 2023, 07:21:53 am »

what struck me seeing the data of    https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

is that unintentional use is larger than defensive use...  ( defensive use is the main the reason for carrying a gun i suppose)

and the WILD WEST is the safest place to be

then many have a gun to commit suicide...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 07:24:56 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 807   Go Up