Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 471844 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #15680 on: February 14, 2023, 10:23:43 am »

Murders in large U.S. cities were down 5 percent in 2022 compared to 2021. Gun deaths, injuries and mass shootings were also down in 2022.

What point are you trying to make?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #15681 on: February 14, 2023, 08:11:40 pm »

What point are you trying to make?

Just expanding on the post above the one you liked (#15677).

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15682 on: February 15, 2023, 07:21:40 am »

Navigation? No, one does not "send" a balloon anywhere except downwind.

There were early reports that the first balloon had propellers. It's hard to imagine that a few props could accomplish much in the high winds of the upper atmosphere but maybe they just act as active rudders, helping to guide the thing in some way. I read that it may be possible to have some control over direction by going up and down to catch different prevailing winds. I know almost nothing about the subject, but it is interesting that we still use them at all.

Isn't one of the problems with dirigibles that they are not very useful in high winds?

Anyway, here's more than anyone probably wants to know about balloons, https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230210-what-it-takes-to-build-a-balloon-for-100000ft.

The latest official statement is that the three objects shot down since the first balloon were private or commercial objects and most likely benign. I saw a report that it took two missiles to shoot down the one over Lake Huron, the first missile missed. I wonder where it ended up.

One of the justifications for shooting down the ones in Alaska/Yukon was that they were flying at civilian aircraft altitudes and therefore could pose a threat. But any weather balloon passes through civilian aircraft altitudes, once on its up and then later when it falls back down.

I saw a youtube video in which Marjorie Tayler Greene speculated that the balloon could have contained nuclear weapons. It would be an odd choice for a first-strike weapon. There must be a conspiracy theory afloat by now that it could have contained a new Covid strain. I'd hate to think that I was the first to dream that up.

I hope that balloon-gate is over now. I was beginning to worry we were in a balloon gap. I did enjoy the sanctimonious outrage about being "spied" on from people who listened in on Angela Merkel phone calls.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15683 on: February 15, 2023, 07:30:14 am »

I see that Pence is trying to weasel out of giving testimony on what happened at the Jan 6th riots. There have been several others who either tried to get out of testifying at various venues and some who simply ignored subpoenas (forget that guy's name). Aside from the fact that they don't seem to suffer much from not cooperating, which surprises me, the main thing is that it's not a very good look for a serving politician, is it. Shouldn't they want to get at the truth? Can anybody get out of testifying but just saying no? It's a sad display.

I got a big kick out of the reports that De Santis wanted to quietly ban guns from some political assemblies he was involved in. As usual I didn't read all the details, far too much bs for me to take, but that did strike me as odd. If personal weapons make everyone safer, shouldn't they welcome them at public gatherings? I gather he tried to keep the request quiet too.
--
Robert

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15684 on: February 15, 2023, 10:38:42 am »

Shouldn't they want to get at the truth?

Bwahaha! Politicians, especially Republican politicians, and the truth? Oil and water.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15685 on: February 15, 2023, 03:22:43 pm »

Bwahaha! Politicians, especially Republican politicians, and the truth? Oil and water.

Shouldn't voters be more ticked off than they seem to be?
--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #15686 on: February 16, 2023, 01:23:30 pm »

Shouldn't voters be more ticked off than they seem to be?
Except for the constituents of George Santos, I’d say everybody got exactly what they voted for.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15687 on: February 16, 2023, 02:49:59 pm »

A possible identification of one the objects shot down last week by the US Air Force https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/aircraft-propulsion/hobby-clubs-missing-balloon-feared-shot-down-usaf.

Might it not be the case that there are numerous such objects up there at any one time? Can people sue the Air Force for destroying their equipment without provocation?
--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #15688 on: February 16, 2023, 04:06:25 pm »

A possible identification of one the objects shot down last week by the US Air Force https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/aircraft-propulsion/hobby-clubs-missing-balloon-feared-shot-down-usaf.

Might it not be the case that there are numerous such objects up there at any one time? Can people sue the Air Force for destroying their equipment without provocation?

Well, if those hobby balloons cost only $12, it's not worth suing Air Force for destroying them. But I'd like to know how expensive were the heat-seeking missiles used to shoot down the 3 pico balloons.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #15689 on: February 16, 2023, 04:25:58 pm »

There were early reports that the first balloon had propellers. It's hard to imagine that a few props could accomplish much in the high winds of the upper atmosphere but maybe they just act as active rudders, helping to guide the thing in some way. I read that it may be possible to have some control over direction by going up and down to catch different prevailing winds. I know almost nothing about the subject, but it is interesting that we still use them at all.

The difference in the wind strength between air currents with vertical distance just several hundred meters apart can be astonishing.
On some of my hikes to the top of medium tall peaks just 500m above the surrounding fields or valleys with hardly any air movement, I experienced winds around 100km/h.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15690 on: February 18, 2023, 08:02:05 am »

Some interesting tidbits to come out of the Dominion lawsuit of FOX "NEWS", https://thehill.com/homenews/media/3863605-five-top-revelations-from-dominions-explosive-court-filing-in-fox-news-lawsuit/.

I like the part where a news fact-checker was threatened with firing for doing her job because she was 'disrespectful of their audience' by pointing out some factual errors. Whoah! Let's give them the lies they want to hear! In normal times that would be repulsive but there's not much outrage left. It's stunning how much of this crap is straight out of the fascist playbook, usually couched in terms of "freedom". And it seems to work even though it's transparent as glass.

A propaganda machine only slightly more subtle than that of the Soviets. Speculation in the article is that FOX still plans to hang onto their "free speech" defence. As if free speech is there to allow news and public affairs programs to broadcast manufactured lies.

I saw a funny cartoon on Facebook somewhere about Kari Lake suing because the wrong team won the Super Bowl.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15691 on: February 21, 2023, 06:59:41 am »

A really interesting article about local government in western Michigan https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/21/michigan-christian-nationalists-00083251. All kinds of mashed up memes there, Christian Nationalism, ivermectin, woke "ideology", integrating religious values into politics Taliban-style, American exceptionalism, etc.

Also, I see that MTG wants a "national divorce", a new kind of confederacy I guess. Inexplicably, some people have responded to it. I find it best to ignore wackos, certainly never make eye contact.

Funniest thing I saw on Facebook on the weekend was a 'photoshopped' mock-up of a Goodyear blimp with large lettering on the side, "Don't Shoot!". Which made me wonder about something. I don't watch much sports on TV, are the Goodyear blimps still doing their thing or have all those overhead shoots done with drones these days?
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15692 on: February 22, 2023, 06:50:59 am »

There have been news stories about McCarthy releasing video of Jan 6 events to Tucker Carlson at FOX. Here's one example, https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/3868578-democrats-sound-the-alarm-after-mccarthy-grants-carlson-access-to-jan-6-footage/.

I have a question to anyone who may know about this kind of thing. How can that information be released to one media entity and not all the others? I would have expected that the info either belongs in the public domain or it doesn't. Are the news stories leaving something out of their reports?
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15693 on: February 23, 2023, 09:53:09 pm »

A little more about balloon-gate from Gwynne Dyer https://gwynnedyer.com/2023/the-floaty-bag-problem-solved/.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15694 on: February 24, 2023, 07:21:22 am »

Hear the frustration in this person's statements https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/23/east-palestine-train-derailment-preliminary-report-00084151.

They're trying to figure out the best way to proceed and the political clowns are conducting a social media circus to score points. Nero fiddling? My prediction: The town of East Palestine will be utterly ignored and the person at the National Safety Board will eventually lose her job, and nobody will fix the underlying issues.

Meanwhile, in Florida De Santis wants to remove certain protections enjoyed by the press. Right out of the playbook.

Thankfully, the Musk/Twitter dumpster fire has been out of the news lately, so we've been spared that clusterf**k.  :)
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15695 on: February 26, 2023, 03:04:18 pm »

I managed not to have come across this photo before https://petapixel.com/2023/02/22/selfie-taken-by-u-2-pilot-shows-view-above-chinese-spy-balloon/.

I love the irony of photographing a spy balloon from a spy plane.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15696 on: February 28, 2023, 07:35:03 am »

MTG wants to give Rittenhouse an award, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/greene-rittenhouse-congressional-gold-medal/2021/11/24/c09980d2-4d49-11ec-a1b9-9f12bd39487a_story.html.

Boebert is in favour of mkaing the AR-15 the national gun of the USA, https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3528049-boebert-jesus-didnt-have-enough-ar-15s-to-keep-his-government-from-killing-him/.

So my question is this. Do members of Congress not have enough work to do?
--
Robert

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #15697 on: February 28, 2023, 08:52:48 am »

That's why some call her "Empty Green,"
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15698 on: March 03, 2023, 07:09:26 am »

I see that De Santis is attempting to control bloggers, https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3882068-florida-bill-would-require-bloggers-to-register-before-writing-about-desantis/.

I guess he's not a free speech "absolutist" then. ;)

The registration only applies to bloggers who are paid, which seems odd to me. Is it what he thought he could legally get away with? But why just bloggers. Can you write a magazine article about him without registering? Or a book? Does it only apply to Florida-based bloggers? What if you say something about him on Twitter or Facebook or Truth Social (if it still exists), does that count.

Could this be part of some plan, first try this to see if it flies, then expand the control later to other media outlets? Why do this at all.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15699 on: March 09, 2023, 12:37:14 pm »

It's hard to avoid the shit storm emerging from the FOX "NEWS" lawsuit these days. The competing media are reporting it as headline news, of course, with maybe some gloating too, but I can't believe that there were many people who thought that the nonsense spewing out of the mouths of their various opinion makers was genuine. It was such an obvious unpersuasive grift. But they were caught flagrantly saying one thing in public and another in private, for pretty venal reasons that are not in harmony with news and public affairs broadcasters, except for maybe back in the Soviet Union.

But what is worse in my mind is that none of the clowns have been fired yet. If you needed a final nail in the coffin to show that FOX is definitely not a serious news broadcaster, even if the rest has not convinced you yet, then the fact that the cabal of twits is still on the air should drive the point home. They're even letting that snake oil salesman Tucker continue to spread the Jan 6 was a benign demonstration schtick. But hey, there are still people pushing ivermectin as a Covid cure so what can you expect.

But I'm nothing if not cynical about these things. They probably won't lose much viewership or even much money.  It's a sad spectacle.
--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 808   Go Up