Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466538 times)

Peter McLennan

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #13620 on: January 15, 2022, 05:57:48 pm »

Oh, yes, you are polluting! Generating electricity to charge your batteries causes pollution. Producing and discarding of the batteries causes major pollution. Studies have shown that electric vehicles and their support systems cause more pollution and use up more energy than comparable gas driven vehicles.

Old, fake news. An argument debunked years ago.

My electricity is 100% carbon free.  It comes from falling water, something we have lots of in BC.  Anybody along the east coast who buys electricity from Hydro Quebec is getting the same deal.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #13621 on: January 15, 2022, 05:59:34 pm »

Yes, we all know that intestinal gas pollutes air.
Not only his intestinal gas, as that's also only one source of his pollution here as outlined:
You've got to love the behavior of someone who about once a month walks into the room, takes a dump on the carpet and departs, never to be seen again until next month.
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=136697.msg1222178#msg1222178
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

James Clark

« Reply #13622 on: January 15, 2022, 06:05:25 pm »

Old, fake news. An argument debunked years ago.

My electricity is 100% carbon free.  It comes from falling water, something we have lots of in BC.  Anybody along the east coast who buys electricity from Hydro Quebec is getting the same deal.

But.. but... you cause pollution when you BUILD THE HYDRO PLANT you treehugging hypocrite.

;)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13623 on: January 16, 2022, 01:16:44 pm »

But.. but... you cause pollution when you BUILD THE HYDRO PLANT you treehugging hypocrite.

;)

You're absolutely correct, James.  The production of concrete is insanely CO2 productive.  However, it's only done once and it lasts for decades, the benefits of the installed concrete, that is.

I AM a tree-hugging hypocrite.  I own and manage about 30 acres of conifers, some of which I do hug and all of which absorb their fair share of C02.  :)

Here's the view from my bedroom. :)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 11:47:12 am by Peter McLennan »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #13624 on: January 16, 2022, 01:18:45 pm »

You're absolutely correct, James.  The production of concrete is insanely CO2 productive.  However, it's only done once and it lasts for decades.

I AM a tree-hugging hypocrite.  I own and manage about 30 acres of conifers, some of which I do hug and all of which absorb their fair share of C02.  :)

You should run a B&B.  :)
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #13625 on: January 16, 2022, 01:23:52 pm »

I think I posted this link on the humour thread before but it seems to fit in here now too, .
--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13626 on: January 16, 2022, 02:23:26 pm »

You're absolutely correct, James.  The production of concrete is insanely CO2 productive.  However, it's only done once and it lasts for decades.

Beautiful view to wake up to every day, Peter. And those trees look very healthy.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13627 on: January 16, 2022, 02:26:36 pm »

*Disclaimer*  It doesn't always look like that.  :)  In fact, I can't see across the valley this morning.  Fog.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13628 on: January 16, 2022, 02:51:08 pm »

I think I posted this link on the humour thread before but it seems to fit in here now too, .

Thanks, Robert.  I just spent nearly an hour watching Anna Mantzaris' productions on Vimeo.  Superb!

James Clark

« Reply #13629 on: January 16, 2022, 04:22:32 pm »

I love this.  And man, that's beautiful. 

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13630 on: January 17, 2022, 01:10:21 pm »

I love this.  And man, that's beautiful.

It it indeed, James.  It can be a wonderful way to wake up as the seasons progress. 

Here's the other side of that admittedly pretty coin:

2 min.  No political content.

https://youtu.be/kcNVEMxJ3ic

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13631 on: January 18, 2022, 10:16:50 am »

North Korea is up to their fourth latest test of missiles.  The administration's lack of follow-up is creating another dangerous situation.  I suppose Biden was distracted by Afghanistan.

U.S. policy of engaging with North Korea is turning out to be a mistake, analyst says
The U.S. decision to focus on engagement with North Korea appears to have been a mistake, a senior fellow at a Washington-based think tank said after the reclusive state conducted four missile tests in a month.

U.S. President Joe Biden “chose engagement only,” said Anthony Ruggiero of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies. “That was his policy in 2021. He didn’t even sanction any of North Korea’s nuclear missile programs at all in 2021.”

“It’s turning out now to be a mistake, because as you said the fourth missile test today. And I’m sure there’ll be more, as you noted, we’re not even halfway through January,” he told CNBC’s “Street Signs Asia” on Monday.

State news agency KCNA reported that two tactical guided missiles were fired on Monday, adding that they “precisely hit an island target in the East Sea of Korea.”

“The Academy of Defence Science confirmed the accuracy, security and efficiency of the operation of the weapon system under production,” KCNA said.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/18/north-korea-missile-tests-analyst-says-us-policy-proving-to-be-mistake.html

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #13632 on: January 18, 2022, 10:47:32 am »

North Korea is up to their fourth latest test of missiles.  The administration's lack of follow-up is creating another dangerous situation.  I suppose Biden was distracted by Afghanistan.

U.S. policy of engaging with North Korea is turning out to be a mistake, analyst says
The U.S. decision to focus on engagement with North Korea appears to have been a mistake, a senior fellow at a Washington-based think tank said after the reclusive state conducted four missile tests in a month.

U.S. President Joe Biden “chose engagement only,” said Anthony Ruggiero of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies. “That was his policy in 2021. He didn’t even sanction any of North Korea’s nuclear missile programs at all in 2021.”

“It’s turning out now to be a mistake, because as you said the fourth missile test today. And I’m sure there’ll be more, as you noted, we’re not even halfway through January,” he told CNBC’s “Street Signs Asia” on Monday.

State news agency KCNA reported that two tactical guided missiles were fired on Monday, adding that they “precisely hit an island target in the East Sea of Korea.”

“The Academy of Defence Science confirmed the accuracy, security and efficiency of the operation of the weapon system under production,” KCNA said.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/18/north-korea-missile-tests-analyst-says-us-policy-proving-to-be-mistake.html

I thought Trump took care of that whole North Korea thing. I guess they kept working on the missiles in secret but didn't tell him. Imagine.

The thing is that around the world, the countries with the most/best weapons get the most respect, apparently. So why is everyone surprised when countries try to develop important weapon systems? The US never stops. It's the most normal thing there is. You could argue that they'd be nuts not to. It only bothers us because we think we're the good guys and they're the bad guys. At least that's the level at which this stuff is usually discussed in bars and social media. Similar to the level of discussion that purports to blame North Korea's missiles on Biden. But hey, don't let me stop you.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13633 on: January 18, 2022, 10:58:19 am »

So Biden ignored warnings from his security people and lied about it.  He also lied that the generals never told him that we had to leave people in Afghanistan to prevent its collapse.  This is a lot more serious than his lies about Teslas.

Watchdog warned months before U.S. pullout Afghanistan's air force would collapse
KABUL, Afghanistan — Months before President Joe Biden announced the U.S.'s complete withdrawal from Afghanistan last year, Washington's watchdog warned that the Afghan air force would collapse without critical American aid, training and maintenance. The report was declassified Tuesday.

The report by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction John Sopko, submitted to the Department of Defense in January 2021, underscores that American authorities had been alerted that Afghanistan's air force did not have the capabilities to survive after a U.S. withdrawal. In particular, the report points to U.S. failure to train Afghan support staff, leaving the air force unable to maintain its aircraft without American contractors.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/1073727792/watchdog-warned-months-before-us-pullout-that-afghanistans-air-force-would-colla

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13634 on: January 18, 2022, 11:17:35 am »

I thought Trump took care of that whole North Korea thing. I guess they kept working on the missiles in secret but didn't tell him. Imagine.

The thing is that around the world, the countries with the most/best weapons get the most respect, apparently. So why is everyone surprised when countries try to develop important weapon systems? The US never stops. It's the most normal thing there is. You could argue that they'd be nuts not to. It only bothers us because we think we're the good guys and they're the bad guys. At least that's the level at which this stuff is usually discussed in bars and social media. Similar to the level of discussion that purports to blame North Korea's missiles on Biden. But hey, don't let me stop you.

Trump got involved when there were discussions about war with North Korea as they were testing nukes and ICBMs.  Tensions were taut. He took a fresh approach and it worked and he should have gotten a lot of credit for it.  Of course, he didn't because the media was opposed to him.

Trump got them to stop and moved us to some sort of an accommodation with NK.  It didn't create a permanent detente. But it moved the ball forward and started a dialogue.  It reduced the chance for war and stopped NK from testing those weapon systems.  Biden is doing nothing.  No one is afraid of him especially after his pullout in Afghanistan.  Every bad actor in the world is testing him beside NK, including Iran, Russia, and China.

Respect is not about liking the president but being afraid of him. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13635 on: January 18, 2022, 11:36:36 am »

An idiotic defense of Trump will soon follow.
No need to imagine. 😝

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13636 on: January 18, 2022, 11:46:07 am »

Respect is not about liking the president but being afraid of him.

And right there, friends and neighbours, is the problem.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13637 on: January 18, 2022, 12:00:05 pm »

And right there, friends and neighbours, is the problem.
+1: From someone who isn't respected here.
My only fear is:
"There is nothing more dangerous than a reckless a--hole who thinks he is smarter than everyone else." - John Bonehner

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13638 on: January 18, 2022, 01:23:02 pm »

I might have to buy a Tesla.

Oil Jumps to 7-Year Highs Amid Supply Concerns and Drone Strikes
Oil prices jumped to their highest levels since October 2014 amid geopolitical fears and multiple constraints on the physical market, as persistent hopes that the Omicron variant of coronavirus wouldn’t become a major drag on the world’s economic recovery.

Brent crude, the international benchmark, was up 1.1% to $87.46 a barrel Tuesday after peaking above the $88 mark Monday. The price of West Texas Intermediate was up 1.6% to $85.15 a barrel. Goldman Sachs, the U.S. bank, predicted Monday that oil prices could top $100

https://www.barrons.com/articles/microsoft-activision-merger-antitrust-51642526542

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #13639 on: January 18, 2022, 01:24:17 pm »

Trump got involved when there were discussions about war with North Korea as they were testing nukes and ICBMs.  Tensions were taut. He took a fresh approach and it worked and he should have gotten a lot of credit for it.

When I think back about Trump's foreign policy accomplishments, I'm still astounded:
  • He persuaded North Korea to abandon its missile program.
  • He arranged for Iran to stop enriching uranium.
  • He improved relationships with all our North American and European trading partners.
  • He negotiated a pan-Asian agreement that thwarted predatory Chinese economic practices.
  • He convinced Vladimir Putin to
    • stop threatening Ukraine;
    • cease interference in U.S. and European elections;
    • behave respectfully toward his domestic political opponents.
And, of course, through leadership by example he restored respect throughout the world for the American political system and the role of the United States as the leading proponent of rules-based international relations.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:38:22 pm by Chris Kern »
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 808   Go Up