Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 470469 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #1740 on: November 18, 2020, 09:27:55 am »

Alan, you're not (as far as I know) a stupid person, but this is a really stupid comment. Try to avoid making these. If we went back on the gold standard, we'd be in a worldwide depression in a week.
Can't you just disagree and make your counter-argument without calling someone or their comments stupid?   This thread is degrading into name-calling and Jeremy's going to shut it down for good. Plus it isn't polite to call people names.  I know you're better than that.

By having a fiat currency and being off a gold standard, the Fed will print and print and print until they destroy the dollar.  Our savings, pensions, and social security won't be worth a dime.  It's why people's salaries are not worth what they once were since 1971 when we went off the gold standard.  It accounts for the huge difference in wealth between the rich and poor. It allows government officials to care little about budget deficits.  They just print more money to cover the debt.  It creates bubbles in the stock and real estate markets that eventually "pop".  Remember what happened in 2008.  Alan Greenspan who was Fed chairman always believed we'd be better off staying on a gold standard.  The woman yesterday who was denied an appointment to the FOMC Federal board was a believer in a gold standard, one of the only ones remaining.  She lost the appointment.  Politicians like fiat currency so they can print to give away "free stuff" and be re-elected. 

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1741 on: November 18, 2020, 09:28:24 am »

As has been demonstrated throughout the world, that, which sounds plausible in theory, is completely unpractical. 

So, actually, in the real world, isolating the vulnerable while allowing herd immunity to develop through the healthy is the only real solution.
Joe,
Also younger people get often very ill and afterwards are doomed with chronical health problems as the absence of taste and smell, etc that make their life miserable.
Then the 1500 people that die every day in the US got it through somebody else. Possibly one that did not realize he/she was infected
The people working in overfilled hospitals are heaving a very traumatic time.
enough examples... here one from Texas.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54966876
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1742 on: November 18, 2020, 09:35:33 am »

He ”thinks” the gold standard is a good idea because Trump is for it, not based on understanding or agreement with so many actual monetary experts, and he is unlikely to read yet another URL backing up what people try to explain to him but.....
https://www.livescience.com/amp/19126-gold-standard-bad-idea.html
Interesteing that you seem to know what I think when you're the one constantly telling me that I should not assume what others think. Apparently only you can read other's minds and assume what they think.

First off, Trump isn't for the gold standard.  He believes in debt and wanted the Fed to print even more to protect his job.  So you clearly don't know what I think and you ought to practice what you preach. Read my last post if you want my beliefs on the gold standard.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1743 on: November 18, 2020, 09:36:15 am »

Can't you just disagree and make your counter-argument without calling someone or their comments stupid?   
Or call others liar as you have or say others have called you one when he didn't?

“Hypocrite: The man who murdered his parents, and then pleaded for mercy on the grounds that he was an orphan.”― Abraham Lincoln
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1744 on: November 18, 2020, 09:42:49 am »

Well Team Clinton didn't so why do you imagine Biden, or anyone else Democrat or Republican would do so?
Yes she did but she used the third-party candidates to call for recounts and do her dirty work for her.  Then when that didn't work, she tried to convince Trump electors to vote for her. Actually two or so did.  Unfortunately, 7 of her electors abandoned her and voted for Trump.  So she lost by an even bigger margin.   :)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1745 on: November 18, 2020, 09:44:44 am »

Interesteing that you seem to know what I think when you're the one constantly telling me that I should not assume what others think. Apparently only you can read other's minds and assume what they think.

First off, Trump isn't for the gold standard.  He believes in debt and wanted the Fed to print even more to protect his job.  So you clearly don't know what I think and you ought to practice what you preach. Read my last post if you want my beliefs on the gold standard.

Nobody is going back to on the gold standard, get a grip.

--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1746 on: November 18, 2020, 09:45:53 am »

Yes she did but she used the third-party candidates to call for recounts and do her dirty work for her.  Then when that didn't work, she tried to convince Trump electors to vote for her. Actually two or so did.  Unfortunately, 7 of her electors abandoned her and voted for Trump.  So she lost by an even bigger margin.   :)

Alan, do you believe that Trump's inaugural crowds were larger than Obama's?
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1747 on: November 18, 2020, 09:49:51 am »

I'm curious if anyone here has lost their jobs or businesses temporarily or permanently because of government rules?  How are you dealing with it?  What do you intend to do in the future?  How are you paying your bills? I wonder how many people calling for shutdowns are unaffected by them and continue to work?  Maybe if we knew how our employment goes may explain our positions on government rules?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1748 on: November 18, 2020, 09:52:54 am »

OK I'll start.  I'm retired as is my wife.  So our pensions and Social Security continue uninterrupted.  (so far. )  My feelings are that people should self-monitor knowing their own risks.  For example, I isolate for the most part because of my age and health as does my wife.  But I do go out where others are when I have to like shopping for food and wear a mask.  I also go out to shoot my camera but I stay isolated for the most part shooting landscapes. 

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #1749 on: November 18, 2020, 09:54:36 am »

Or just that the Dems in power know something most of their constituents have been goaded to ignore. 

As I have maintained this entire time, going out of our way to protect the elderly and keep them isolated, if they so choose, should be our first, second, and third priority.  For those under 45, all stats show C-19 is only marginally more deadly then the flu.  For those under 20, it is less.

It's all very well, but for instance here in Portugal 68% of the infections are related to family environment. Grandchildren and children end up infecting their older family members. How do you suggest we keep people above 70 isolated from their family home? In caring homes, it is the social workers and assistants that bring the infection inside.

So you see, unless everybody is careful, your suggestion does not work.

James Clark

« Reply #1750 on: November 18, 2020, 09:56:50 am »

I'm curious if anyone here has lost their jobs or businesses temporarily or permanently because of government rules?  How are you dealing with it?  What do you intend to do in the future?  How are you paying your bills? I wonder how many people calling for shutdowns are unaffected by them and continue to work?  Maybe if we knew how our employment goes may explain our positions on government rules?

Fair question.   Without going into details, both my wife and I own companies that depend on conventions and large-is (250-2000 people) public events.  Over the past 9 months we've figured out ways to deliver content virtually, and sell that content semi-effectively.  Her moreso than me, because her product is somewhat more suited to virtual delivery, and her clients are corporations and large nonprofits that have virtual distribution nailed down.   I'm more dependent on the general public, so I've had to educate, support, and guide my customers much more than she has.  As a side benefit, my event downtime has allowed me to develop the B2B consulting side of my business that was in limbo for years due to time constraints.

On the whole, it hasn't been easy, but I've not had to lay anyone off yet and we're not falling too far behind.  Once this ends I'd estimate about 18-24 months to get back to even, with a stronger, more diverse business on the other side.

jeremyrh

« Reply #1751 on: November 18, 2020, 10:01:00 am »

I must have missed the bit where she gave speeches claiming to have won, and endangered lives by refusing to co-operate with the incoming team.

jeremyrh

« Reply #1752 on: November 18, 2020, 10:05:15 am »

A lot of people are surviving shutdowns because they are getting temporary pay from their governments, or like "libertarian" Sweden, are receiving sick pay to isolate when they are suspected of being infected.  I can see that this poses a problem in a country that does not have an advanced social system.

faberryman

« Reply #1753 on: November 18, 2020, 10:25:07 am »

It is none of your god damn business. Jesus.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:28:10 am by faberryman »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1754 on: November 18, 2020, 10:34:00 am »

I don't know but can guess your purpose here, since you're insisting on seeing this through the lens of "government rules", when in fact it's a virus that's causing these changes, not the "government".

Why don't you expand the discussion beyond Covid. Should there be employee health and safety "rules"? Don't they cost jobs?

Maybe there shouldn't be health inspectors for restaurants and meat processing plants. I'm sure those "rules" cost jobs.

Maybe we should let the airline companies investigate their own crashes. Why involve the government, that must cost jobs.

Maybe companies shouldn't pay tax at all . Maybe taxes cost jobs?

And certainly minimum wage regs cost jobs? Shouldn't employers be allowed to trade work for room and board, no salary at all. I'm sure there will be desperate takers.

Wouldn't it be interesting to "charge" companies for all the benefits that they derive from doing business in a modern economy. There are all kinds of hidden "rules" that maybe benefit commerce, don't you think? Paved roads, air traffic control, public education, health care, etc.

There's no need to answer, these questions are rhetorical. 

--
Robert

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #1755 on: November 18, 2020, 10:48:33 am »

I was furloughed from my software engineering job for four months over the summer. I got by on savings, my wife's income, and unemployment insurance payments.
I'm super thankful for the safety net of Colorado's unemployment insurance. It really saved us.
I don't like shutdowns but I dislike seeing my friends die preventable deaths or endure debilitating after-effects of a terrible disease even more.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 11:01:00 am by MattBurt »
-MattB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1756 on: November 18, 2020, 10:50:15 am »

Or call others liar as you have or say others have called you one when he didn't?

“Hypocrite: The man who murdered his parents, and then pleaded for mercy on the grounds that he was an orphan.”― Abraham Lincoln
He lied about what I said.  I never said it. I was responding to that.  That's different than giving your opinion about some topic and then someone calling you stupid or a liar. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1757 on: November 18, 2020, 10:52:37 am »

Alan, do you believe that Trump's inaugural crowds were larger than Obama's?
Who cares? Let's move on. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1758 on: November 18, 2020, 10:59:07 am »

It's all very well, but for instance here in Portugal 68% of the infections are related to family environment. Grandchildren and children end up infecting their older family members. How do you suggest we keep people above 70 isolated from their family home? In caring homes, it is the social workers and assistants that bring the infection inside.

So you see, unless everybody is careful, your suggestion does not work.
Cultures are different from country to country.  In America, many elderly people live on their own while in other countries grandparents live with the rest of the family.  So isolation methods in Portugal might not have to be the same as in America.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1759 on: November 18, 2020, 11:01:11 am »

I know what you 'think' when you tell me and others as you continue to do. The quality of the "thinking", based on years of posting here, not just this subject give some insights to the quality of your thinking. What I believe is often, when you get your feet wet with the diarrhea from your keyboard, you are called out to provide fact and can't, or, what you've written is absurd (be it resolution or about isolation and death, or the date of the inauguration; so many other examples one could provide). I believe, like the guy currently in the White House, you don't know what you don't know, you're not the deepest thinker and you fly off the hook with posts/tweets without thinking others will expect proof, data and take responsibility to accept them when proven wrong.

First off, Trump isn't for the gold standard. 

Thank you for again making statements you never checked and believe them to be factual.
Trump Favors Returning To The Gold Standard, Few Economists Agree
Trump recently told the website thescene.com that he would like to return U.S. currency to the gold standard. NPR's Jim Zarroli reports.

And don’t worry about what he says, worry about what he does (or tries to do)

President Trump has nominated Judy Shelton, whose main qualification appears to be the work she did in 2016 for Trump’s campaign. She is best known for advocating a rules-based system of monetary policy, where each nation’s currency has a fixed and predictable value. And in particular, she likes the gold standard, which the United States embraced from its founding until the Fed finally abandoned it in 1973.

Now, as far as your so American concept that Jeremy should lock down the thread because you were repeatedly called out by multiple people on make-believe, or that you called someone here a liar, shows the desperation of your "thinking". In fact, the best move for you would be if he did lock down the thread because it would force you to cease posting rubbish and getting called out for it. You don't seem to have any control over getting out of a hole you've dug here that many (and their voices are here in B&W) disagree with your disregard for facts and how your mind works in terms of 'thinking'. Much like Trump on Twitter. At least there, they post a logo that what's been barfed up is not true.   

No one called you stupid. Some may, repeat may believe that is true. You have the ability to make that so, or not. My advice is, post a lot less, think a bit more before doing so.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 808   Go Up