Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 809   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 475538 times)

John Camp

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #1720 on: November 17, 2020, 10:36:56 pm »

Going back on to the gold standard might be the only thing to save the dollar.  It would stop the incessant printing that going to devalue the currency.   I suspect China might back up their Yuan with gold to see if they can get it as the reserve currency and push America off ours being it.  The rich would;t want it as the more printing the richer they get and the poorer the poor and middle class get.

Alan, you're not (as far as I know) a stupid person, but this is a really stupid comment. Try to avoid making these. If we went back on the gold standard, we'd be in a worldwide depression in a week.

texshooter

« Reply #1721 on: November 17, 2020, 10:45:44 pm »

If the tables were turned and Trump had won this election by the same margins, I wonder if Team Biden would be demanding ballot recounts and audits.  Perchance?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1722 on: November 17, 2020, 10:46:09 pm »

Alan, you're not (as far as I know) a stupid person, but this is a really stupid comment. Try to avoid making these. If we went back on the gold standard, we'd be in a worldwide depression in a week.
He ”thinks” the gold standard is a good idea because Trump is for it, not based on understanding or agreement with so many actual monetary experts, and he is unlikely to read yet another URL backing up what people try to explain to him but.....
https://www.livescience.com/amp/19126-gold-standard-bad-idea.html
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

John Camp

« Reply #1723 on: November 17, 2020, 10:54:01 pm »

Here's an idea, if you cant enforce it, then it should not be a law.  Doing so just makes yourselves look ridiculous and destroys your legitimacy by putting you in a position to not being able to enforce your own laws.  You become a joke rather quickly, especially when you have Americans, like me, who consider it our solemn duty to disobey stupid laws (especially when Biden parties are being completely unchecked). 

Here in New Mexico, we are on lockdown starting yesterday (Monday.) There is widespread resistance. Many small stores are staying open, sometimes with their lights out and one clerk sitting on a stool. Another place that a friend went into on Sunday was told that the back door would be open during the lockdown, if she needed anything else. I went to two places today, a take-out place that remains open, but you can't sit at their picnic tables, and a medical place where I'm getting physical therapy. For me, it was business as usual. It's not that the resisters are ignoring the virus, they wear masks, they enforce social distancing, but they remain open. Biden has said something to the effect that closings should be on a dial, not a switch. Our governor apparently didn't hear that, and she flipped the switch, except the case of certain large stores, like WalMart, which are allowed to stay open because they are also supermarkets. But, of course, they are allowed to sell everything else as well, which has really pissed off all the mom-and-pop owners. (I've been told that Target has been closed temporarily to clean; they had too many covid-positive employees.)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1724 on: November 17, 2020, 11:03:04 pm »

Here in New Mexico, we are on lockdown starting yesterday (Monday.) There is widespread resistance.
There is where? Gotta be down south, I'm unaware of widespread resistance in Santa Fe. Target and others up here closed due to so many infections (4) within 14 days; as they should be. Pick up service still available. Businesses with four or more rapid responses within a two-week period may be subject to a mandatory 14-day closure under an Oct. 22 order from Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham. Target reached the four-report threshold last Wednesday. Lujan Grisham is following the science and recommendations of public health experts. Walmart, a ”big box” like Target due to be closed up here today. As it should be too.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:07:24 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jeremyrh

« Reply #1725 on: November 18, 2020, 02:34:42 am »

If the tables were turned and Trump had won this election by the same margins, I wonder if Team Biden would be demanding ballot recounts and audits.  Perchance?

Well Team Clinton didn't so why do you imagine Biden, or anyone else Democrat or Republican would do so?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:43:40 am by jeremyrh »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #1726 on: November 18, 2020, 02:35:51 am »

In 2016 Rudy Giuliani called street protesters and people asking recounts "crybabies", I wonder if he's willing to put that qualification now on himself and the "millions" that showed up for the MEGA-march?

Btw, it wasn't the Democrats that asked for some recounts in 2016, so why do you suggest it would be different now?

And the Republicans by blocking a recount in 2000 got the presidency.

But in the end it's not about blaming each other for these actions, I think the will of the people is clear and  irrespective of the outcome there is always a significant minority that is unhappy and will do anything in their power to stop progress and blocks the other party succeeding. That I think that chasm is the root problem of the USA at the moment, Trump is just a symptom of that attitude and not the root cause.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:46:26 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

jeremyrh

« Reply #1727 on: November 18, 2020, 02:39:04 am »

That's nothing.  Half the legislature in CA also just got back from Hawaii for a conference. 

This is why people like me do not take these edict seriously, because those enforcing them do not either.  We do not have a class system in the country, and if you cant follow your own advice, dont expect me to listen either.

Let's hope that the virus shares your sense of fair play.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #1728 on: November 18, 2020, 03:33:16 am »

Back at the circus, in federal court in Pennsylvania today Giuliani argued at least a part of the case, accusing "Democrats in control of big cities of hatching a nationwide conspiracy to steal the election." Somehow I doubt that claim was set forth in the pleadings or any evidence was offered to support it. The reporting is thin because reporters were not allowed in the courtroom due to COVID restrictions. Maybe we'll have something tomorrow.

https://www.mcall.com/news/elections/mc-nws-trump-campaign-lawsuit-pennsylvania-court-hearing-20201117-o4r2mksatjhfhmu4scnsx3e5oe-story.html

In another action, this one in front of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, Trump's suit alleging his observers were not allow meaningful access to the vote counting was tossed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/pennsylvania-supreme-court-rejects-trump-campaign-claim-problems-ballot-observers-n1248046

In other news, apparently Giuliani and his cohorts have staged a coup at Trump campaign headquarters in Virginia.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/infighting-attempted-coup-trump-team-erupts-chaos-giuliani/story?id=74257079

It's only Tuesday. Plenty of time for more antics later this week.

I'll leave you with Trump's latest tweet:

“DEAD PEOPLE VOTED”

The U.S. must be the laughingstock of the world tonight.

Not the US, just cheetos. I heard this morning that he fired the guy in charge of cybersecurity. Who commited the heresy os saying that the elections were the most secure/safe ever...

texshooter

« Reply #1729 on: November 18, 2020, 03:45:56 am »

Btw, it wasn't the Democrats that asked for some recounts in 2016, so why do you suggest it would be different now?

Because nobody would ever believe Trump colluded with Russia to keep his alleged bed wetting kink a secret.  Voter fraud is a much easier hoax to peddle these days.

Slate.com

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 03:29:03 pm by texshooter »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1730 on: November 18, 2020, 04:04:07 am »

Hillary lost with a 'landslide'; The same 'landslide' that made Trump lose from Biden.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1731 on: November 18, 2020, 07:01:30 am »

Here in New Mexico, we are on lockdown starting yesterday (Monday.) There is widespread resistance. Many small stores are staying open, sometimes with their lights out and one clerk sitting on a stool. Another place that a friend went into on Sunday was told that the back door would be open during the lockdown, if she needed anything else. I went to two places today, a take-out place that remains open, but you can't sit at their picnic tables, and a medical place where I'm getting physical therapy. For me, it was business as usual. It's not that the resisters are ignoring the virus, they wear masks, they enforce social distancing, but they remain open. Biden has said something to the effect that closings should be on a dial, not a switch. Our governor apparently didn't hear that, and she flipped the switch, except the case of certain large stores, like WalMart, which are allowed to stay open because they are also supermarkets. But, of course, they are allowed to sell everything else as well, which has really pissed off all the mom-and-pop owners. (I've been told that Target has been closed temporarily to clean; they had too many covid-positive employees.)

Sounds about right, and business owners have a right to be pissed.  For all the talk Dems say about liking small businesses, they sure are going out of their way to destroy them.  People are now at the point of disobeying these things and finding loopholes, or at least that is what I see.

My favorite was when the restaurants in Philly were told that no one is allowed to sit at the bar.  The powers to be though never said anything about high-tops directly against the bar for people to sit at and, then, just order from the bartender as per usual. 

But anyway, we are thinking about doing a road trip after Thanksgiving, perhaps to Miami and Dallas, to get away from our own tyrants. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

jeremyrh

« Reply #1732 on: November 18, 2020, 07:05:22 am »

Sounds about right, and business owners have a right to be pissed.  For all the talk Dems say about liking small businesses, they sure are going out of their way to destroy them.  People are now at the point of disobeying these things and finding loopholes, or at least that is what I see.

My favorite was when the restaurants in Philly were told that no one is allowed to sit at the bar.  The powers to be though never said anything about high-tops directly against the bar for people to sit at and, then, just order from the bartender as per usual. 

Maybe folk should think more about what they should do, and not what they are permitted to do.

But anyway, we are thinking about doing a road trip after Thanksgiving, perhaps to Miami and Dallas, to get away from our own tyrants.

Damn those tyrants, trying to save peoples lives. How dare they!!??

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1733 on: November 18, 2020, 07:07:06 am »

Let's hope that the virus shares your sense of fair play.

Or just that the Dems in power know something most of their constituents have been goaded to ignore. 

As I have maintained this entire time, going out of our way to protect the elderly and keep them isolated, if they so choose, should be our first, second, and third priority.  For those under 45, all stats show C-19 is only marginally more deadly then the flu.  For those under 20, it is less. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 07:11:24 am by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1734 on: November 18, 2020, 07:09:21 am »

Maybe folk should think more about what they should do, and not what they are permitted to do.

Damn those tyrants, trying to save peoples lives. How dare they!!??

"We need to take away your liberties for the common good, just trust us," every brutal tyrant in history.  Thanks, but no thanks. 

jeremyrh

« Reply #1735 on: November 18, 2020, 07:27:05 am »

Or just that the Dems in power know something most of their constituents have been goaded to ignore. 

As I have maintained this entire time, going out of our way to protect the elderly and keep them isolated, if they so choose, should be our first, second, and third priority.  For those under 45, all stats show C-19 is only marginally more deadly then the flu.  For those under 20, it is less.

The best way for you to protect the elderly, and all the other vulnerable people, is for you to not get sick. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1736 on: November 18, 2020, 07:38:29 am »

A morning laugh (political) from The Beaverton satirical site, https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/11/trump-pivots-to-claiming-he-actually-won-2008-election/.
--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #1737 on: November 18, 2020, 08:21:20 am »

After my final post yesterday, I saw on the news how the Wayne County (Detroit) election commission declined to certify the voting in their county which went 2:1 for Biden. The election commission is comprised of two Republicans and two Democrats so you know how the vote went. I asked myself how could that be. Turns out that old Kayleigh what's her name or one of her confederates went out to Detroit with her 234 pages of affidavits, probably the same ones the Pennsylvania court threw out because the didn't show any fraud, and waved them around and shouted fraud and conspiracy and all the rest, and the Republican members of the election commission buckled under the pressure. Old Kayleigh even tweeted about her performance:

"After presenting 234 pages of sworn affidavits raising allegations of fraud in Wayne County, Michigan voting, the Wayne County Board of Canvassers has DECLINED to certify their portion of the Michigan vote."

So anyway, I woke up this morning and noticed that after Kayleigh or her confederate left town with her 234 pages of affidavits in tow, the election commission voted again, and this time the election commission voted unanimously to certify the election results. I am not sure what exactly prompted the re-vote, but surmise that without Kayleigh or her confederate beating them over the head with her 234 pages of affidavits, they came to their senses and voted to certify. Either that or they went home for dinner, flipped on the news, and saw their pictures on the big screen, and the anchor guy mocking them as Trump's stooges or whatever, and decided they would rather be out of favor with Kayleigh than be a national disgrace, and ran back to town and re-voted to get their pictures off the TV. Here is the obligatory link:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2020/11/17/wayne-county-election-certification/6309668002/

And what does Big Boy have to say about all this:

"Wrong! At first they voted against because there were far more VOTES than PEOPLE (Sad!). Then they were threatened, screamed at and viciously harassed, and were FORCED to change their vote, but then REFUSED, as American patriots, to sign the documents. 71% MESS. Don’t Harass!"

Apparently he hasn't gotten the memo. Hate to be in old Kayleigh's shoes this morning.

No word yet on whether Rudy "Hand down his pants" Giuliani is going to head to Detroit today and force a re-re-vote using the nationwide conspiracy of big city Democrats to rig the election song and dance he tried out on a federal judge in Pennsylvania yesterday, which by all accounts was not that well received.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:41:40 pm by faberryman »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1738 on: November 18, 2020, 08:28:15 am »

The best way for you to protect the elderly, and all the other vulnerable people, is for you to not get sick.

As has been demonstrated throughout the world, that, which sounds plausible in theory, is completely unpractical. 

So, actually, in the real world, isolating the vulnerable while allowing herd immunity to develop through the healthy is the only real solution. 

jeremyrh

« Reply #1739 on: November 18, 2020, 09:14:10 am »

As has been demonstrated throughout the world, that, which sounds plausible in theory, is completely unpractical. 

On the contrary - in the real world it has been shown that it's possible for the virus to be kept at a level low enough to not swamp medical facilities if the public play their part and don't behave like selfish assholes. Lockdowns have been effective everywhere in reducing the infection in the short term and vigorous trace and isolate programmes have reduced it still further in the countries where they have been in operation.  These measures have bought the time needed to develop vaccines and better treatment, whcih are the long term way out of this.

So, actually, in the real world, isolating the vulnerable while allowing herd immunity to develop through the healthy is the only real solution.

Short of re-opening a leper colony I don't see how that is supposed to happen.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 809   Go Up