Poll

Who do you think will be sworn in as President on Jan. 21?

Biden
- 14 (66.7%)
Trump
- 7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: November 02, 2020, 06:25:59 pm

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 194   Go Down

Author Topic: US Elections 2020 (geopolitics, informed debate, no ad hominems)  (Read 110562 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: US Elections 2020 (geopolitics, informed debate, no ad hominems)
« Reply #2960 on: October 24, 2020, 12:40:26 pm »

Wonder what an "uninformed" debate would look like.

Careful, Russ. You'll upset TechTalk, whoever he (or, of course, she) might be. He (or, of course, she, but I think probably he) thinks this debate is pretty high-level stuff and has reprimanded me for describing it as drivel.

Jeremy

faberryman

« Reply #2961 on: October 24, 2020, 12:59:52 pm »

When President Kennedy called for putting a man on the moon by the end of the 1960's, everyone thought he was inspirational giving the country a positive goal we all could join in on to strengthen the country and remind us we're all Americans.  Why should anyone be opposed to Trump's similar recommendations other than you just don't like him?

Nothing wrong with setting a goal to establish moon bases and go to Mars. The thing is people have been talking about this, and working on this quite successfully, for years, so I'm not sure Trump deserves all the credit. It is like if Kennedy gave the moon speech, and we had already developed the rockets, and had sent the capsule up to the space station and it worked fine. In that case, instead of calling Kennedy an inspirational genius, people would probably ask where he has been all this time. Or kind of like setting a goal to develop and deploy the iPhone 12.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:03:39 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2962 on: October 24, 2020, 01:03:40 pm »

I have no idea what kind of filters you'll need for the red planet. It's a long flight, pack a lunch.
Red filters? 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2963 on: October 24, 2020, 01:04:24 pm »

Careful, Russ. You'll upset TechTalk, whoever he (or, of course, she) might be. He (or, of course, she, but I think probably he) thinks this debate is pretty high-level stuff and has reprimanded me for describing it as drivel.

Jeremy
Drivel's only allowed on my thread. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2964 on: October 24, 2020, 01:07:53 pm »

Nothing wrong with setting a goal to establish moon bases and go to Mars. The thing is people have been talking about this, and working on this quite successfully for years, so I'm not sure Trump deserves all the credit. It is like if Kennedy gave the moon speech, and we had already developed the rockets, and had sent the capsule up to the space station and it worked fine. In that case, instead of calling Kennedy an inspirational genius, people would probably ask where has he been.
Trump is taking positions on a full range of issues for the election showing what his policies are for voters.  That's appropriate and is what candidates do. It would be nice to know what Biden's policy is on packing the court.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #2965 on: October 24, 2020, 01:10:01 pm »

Actually, I though I heard from him awhile ago that he was opposed to going back to the moon.  After all, we did that 50 years ago.  Why are we doing it again like all these other countries want to do?  We should look forward and jump ahead and go directly to Mars.  Well, anyway, that sounds more inspirational.  Recently, I bought a 4x5 view camera after shooting medium format and 35mm for decades.  I thought it might inspire me.  Nothing much yet, though. Maybe I should sign up for Mars?

...and make Mexico pay for it..!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

faberryman

« Reply #2966 on: October 24, 2020, 01:19:16 pm »

Trump is taking positions on a full range of issues for the election showing what his policies are for voters.  That's appropriate and is what candidates do. It would be nice to know what Biden's policy is on packing the court.

Why do you want to know Biden's policy on packing the court? If he said he wouldn't allow it during his administration, would you vote for him?  As far as Trump's agenda, I thought the Republicans just re-adopted the 2016 platform?

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #2967 on: October 24, 2020, 01:32:45 pm »

Why do you want to know Biden's policy on packing the court? If he said he wouldn't allow it during his administration, would you vote for him?  As far as Trump's agenda, I thought the Republicans just re-adopted the 2016 platform?

The 2016 plan working pretty well until the China virus started and the Biden youth vote trashed our cities.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #2968 on: October 24, 2020, 01:42:39 pm »

You guys enjoy your day.  Its cool and sunny here.  I'm gonna finish mowing the lawn and then we are going to pull out the 530i and take a spin in the country for a bit. 

We areh aving a nice steak for supper.   Then a fire in the firepit and some Fireball later in the evening.  I've voted so my choice has been made.  Politics can wait for another day.  Life awaits! Cheers!
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2969 on: October 24, 2020, 02:01:22 pm »

...and make Mexico pay for it..!
I think we should build a wall on Mars to keep the Venusians out.  I'm not sure who we can get to pay for it though.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2970 on: October 24, 2020, 02:04:38 pm »

You guys enjoy your day.  Its cool and sunny here.  I'm gonna finish mowing the lawn and then we are going to pull out the 530i and take a spin in the country for a bit. 

We areh aving a nice steak for supper.   Then a fire in the firepit and some Fireball later in the evening.  I've voted so my choice has been made.  Politics can wait for another day.  Life awaits! Cheers!
The clouds are breaking here.  I think I'll get out and see how the foliage is doing and shoot some film. What's Fireball?

faberryman

« Reply #2971 on: October 24, 2020, 02:08:23 pm »

The 2016 plan working pretty well until the China virus started and the Biden youth vote trashed our cities.

Perhaps. But that was then and this is now. You'd think they might want to update it a little here and there in light of changing circumstances. Probably too much effort. I thought at the 2020 convention Republicans said they wanted to do whatever Trump wanted to do whenever he comes up with something, you know, sort of the we don't want to restrain the genius of our candidate with a platform approach.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 03:58:58 pm by faberryman »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2972 on: October 24, 2020, 02:11:46 pm »

I think we should build a wall on Mars to keep the Venusians out.  I'm not sure who we can get to pay for it though.

Since the gravity on Mars is 38 percent of Earth's gravity, a 500-pound wall panel on Earth would weigh only 200 pounds on Mars, so the construction should proceed much quicker than of the border wall along the banks of the Rio Grande.

faberryman

« Reply #2973 on: October 24, 2020, 02:15:05 pm »

The clouds are breaking here.  I think I'll get out and see how the foliage is doing and shoot some film. What's Fireball?

We'll it's raining here and I didn't get any sleep last night, so I am just sitting on the sofa and the dogs are snoozing. I may summon the energy to re-arrange my sock drawer in a little while. If I don't, I am pretty sure my wife think of something else. She's pretty good at that, and usually the stuff she thinks up for me to do needs doing, so I can't complain.

John Camp

« Reply #2974 on: October 24, 2020, 02:25:20 pm »

We'll it's raining here and I didn't get any sleep last night, so I am just sitting on the sofa and the dogs are snoozing. I may summon the energy to re-arrange my sock drawer in a little while. If I don't, I am pretty sure my wife think of something else. She's pretty good at that, and usually the stuff she thinks up for me to do needs doing, so I can't complain.

I find that I can complain.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2975 on: October 24, 2020, 02:45:09 pm »

Perhaps. But that was then and this is now. You'd think they might want to update it a little here and there in light of changing circumstances. Probably too much effort. I thought at the 2020 convention Republicans said they wanted to do whatever Trump wanted to do whenever he comes up with something, you know, sort of the we don't want to restrain the genius with a platform approach.
I didn't realize there was a Republican convention because of the virus.  Was there? Did anyone pay attention?  I remember the Democratic convention or at least there was something on Zoom I think.  Everyone had a mask on so you couldn't tell who was speaking.  I thought I was watching an old Lone Ranger movie.  AOC nominated Bernie Sanders for president, and everyone got a good laugh again like they did in 2016.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2976 on: October 24, 2020, 02:46:30 pm »

Since the gravity on Mars is 38 percent of Earth's gravity, a 500-pound wall panel on Earth would weigh only 200 pounds on Mars, so the construction should proceed much quicker than of the border wall along the banks of the Rio Grande.
If Biden wins, he could tear down the wall at the Rio Grande and send the bricks to  Mars.

faberryman

« Reply #2977 on: October 24, 2020, 02:50:19 pm »

I find that I can complain.

I could if I wanted too I guess, but I find it is rarely worth it in either the short or long run. I guess sometimes I do. I'm not perfect.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2978 on: October 24, 2020, 02:51:20 pm »

I did my sock drawer last week and feel very pleased with myself.  My wife didn't tell me to do it.  I'm still working on the video from our vacation in California and Las Vegas.  That was last December.   ???

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2979 on: October 24, 2020, 02:53:24 pm »

I could if I wanted too I guess, but I find it is rarely worth it in either the short or long run. I guess sometimes I do. I'm not perfect.
We're on page 149.  Just a reminder.  We'll all have to detox when Jeremy shuts us down. :)
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 194   Go Up