Poll

Who do you think will be sworn in as President on Jan. 21?

Biden
- 14 (66.7%)
Trump
- 7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: November 02, 2020, 06:25:59 pm

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 194   Go Down

Author Topic: US Elections 2020 (geopolitics, informed debate, no ad hominems)  (Read 110357 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: US Elections 2020 (geopolitics, informed debate, no ad hominems)
« Reply #3560 on: October 30, 2020, 10:00:58 am »

He's the ex-PM, so he is just expressing his personal views.

How do you know that? Do you have a link where maybe they did a survey of Muslims to see how they feel about Macron and the French?

Just so you are aware that you are making a sweeping generalization.

I think some Muslims agree with the ex-PM and some don't. I don't know the relative percentages because I haven't seen any data on it.

Here's a video showing how Muslims feel in various countries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjsCyEx1Soo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3561 on: October 30, 2020, 10:06:28 am »

Sure, that’s Fox News' motto, Fair and Balanced. I don’t know anybody else’s motto, or even if anyone else has one. Maybe NYT’s is All the News That’s Fit to Print, which doesn’t seem all that aspirational, but I could be mistaken.
The NY Times new motto is "Only the News that's Fit To Print that We Agree With"

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3562 on: October 30, 2020, 10:13:27 am »

I think a lot of this stuff only makes sense if you view FOX as an entertainment network rather than a news and public affairs network. Tucker may be entertaining and attract eyeballs to FOX's ads, but it's hard to imagine a serious news and public affairs outlet allowing the recent silliness to be broadcast. I mean, why does he still have a job? It's only because it's just another TV show, like Bachelorette or Dancing with the Stars (I think those are real shows, I have never watched either one). A lot of people think it's political analysis because he wears a suit and sits at a desk, but it's just bar talk. But that's where we are now.

Seems to me that if the documents from that hard drive were as damning as some people choose to believe, there would have been 10,000 copies leaked to anyone who can breath by now. What's the hold-up, are they holding onto them for the 2024 election?

Fox has its talking heads like Hannity but also honest news journalists that play it fair and balanced. They also are willing to have democrats on with them and interview a lot of them.  CNN is really one-sided talking heads with a political agenda. The only Republicans they'll interview are those who don't like Trump.  Trump has made them millions.  What are they going to do if he loses?  They won't even be able to come here for inspiration since Jeremy is shutting down the Coffee Corner. 

faberryman

« Reply #3563 on: October 30, 2020, 10:15:42 am »

I watched the video. Kind of reminds me of the photographer choosing to use a telephoto lens when he was taking the picture of all the people on the beach in Florida at the height of the pandemic.

faberryman

« Reply #3564 on: October 30, 2020, 10:16:49 am »

Fox has its talking heads like Hannity but also honest news journalists that play it fair and balanced.

Yeah, but nobody watches them. Have you seen the ratings?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3565 on: October 30, 2020, 10:19:10 am »

I watched the video. Kind of reminds me of the photographer choosing to use a telephoto lens when he was taking the picture of all the people on the beach in Florida at the height of the pandemic.
If you noticed, none of the Muslims are wearing masks.   Macron wears a mask.  They probably follow Trump.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #3566 on: October 30, 2020, 10:24:45 am »

Boy you are right no one watches them. /s
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3567 on: October 30, 2020, 10:28:50 am »

Are we talking about the same ratings?  Fox is beating CNN and MSNBC across the board by huge margins.  If Trump loses, no one's going to watch MSNBC or CNN unless they hire him which is possible.   Trump had a TV show once that was very successful.  Why not another? He can call it Four Years in Purgatory - News, Views and Rantings by the Former President.  Well, maybe that would make a better book title.

Tuesday, Oct. 27 Scoreboard: Tucker Carlson Drew a Whopping 7.5 Million Viewers Last Night
https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/tuesday-oct-27-scoreboard-tucker-carlson-drew-a-whopping-7-5-million-viewers-last-night/461347/

faberryman

« Reply #3568 on: October 30, 2020, 10:35:59 am »

Boy you are right no one watches them. /s

Yeah, I was exaggerating for emphasis. And I was just guessing that Tucker's ratings were higher than Brett Baier's. I should probably look it up to make sure. Who knows, I could be wrong. I've been wrong before.

faberryman

« Reply #3569 on: October 30, 2020, 10:40:39 am »

Are we talking about the same ratings?  Fox is beating CNN and MSNBC across the board by huge margins.

Canon is beating Nikon by huge margins too, and yet most people just use their phone to take pictures.

That's the thing. You look at a video of Muslims protesting in France, and forget that a lot of Muslims just use their phone.

faberryman

« Reply #3570 on: October 30, 2020, 10:47:34 am »

If you noticed, none of the Muslims are wearing masks.   Macron wears a mask.  They probably follow Trump.

I read that and am perplexed. Based on previous experience, I am leaning toward thinking you are actually being serious.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3571 on: October 30, 2020, 10:49:22 am »

I read that and am perplexed. Based on previous experience, I am leaning toward thinking you are actually being serious.
Well, I don't know about following Trump.   But they certainly won't follow Macron who does wear a mask. 

faberryman

« Reply #3572 on: October 30, 2020, 10:57:59 am »

Well, I don't know about following Trump.   But they certainly won't follow Macron who does wear a mask.

I am going to go way out on a limb and say that the Muslims shown in the video protesting wouldn't follow Macron even if he didn't wear a mask. Perhaps the mask doesn't figure into the decision at all, and so consideration of how Muslims feel about Trump is a red herring. And from looking at the video, I'm not at all sure the protests there depicted occurred in France anyway. You might think that Muslim's protesting in France would use French rather than Arabic, if it is Arabic, on their protest signs so the French would know what they are protesting about. Maybe they are protesting because Burger King dropped the Cheeseburger Royale. I don't know because I can't read Arabic, if it is Arabic. But what do I know anyway? I'm not really an expert on the subject. I was just making a few observations, in particular about generalizations. At one point I was taught that inferring the general from the specific, which I think is referred to as inductive reasoning, can be problematic if you are not careful, but maybe whoever taught me that didn't know what he was talking about, or I misremembered it. That sometimes happens, but not always, but I could be wrong about that too. For example, I forgot my mask when I went to the pharmacy yesterday and had to go back home and get it. If I can forget my mask, there is also a chance I might forget about stuff like inductive reasoning. I don't know for certain if even that is true. But I do know, or a least believe, that you have to kind of raise your eyebrow like Spock, and say "Fascinating", when somebody makes a generalization. At least you should give it some thought. I don't think I ever heard Spock say "By golly, you are absolutely right". But then he is not impulsive like Captain Kirk, even though Captain Kirk made some pretty good decisions impulsively. But not always. I mean can you believe some of the girls he kissed. Some of them were even aliens. What's that all about?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:43:37 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3573 on: October 30, 2020, 11:04:45 am »

I am going to go way out on a limb and say that the Muslims shown in the video protesting wouldn't follow Macron even if he didn't wear a mask. Perhaps the mask doesn't figure into the decision at all. And from looking at the video, I'm not at all sure the protests there depicted occurred in France anyway. You might think that Muslim's protesting in France would use French rather than Arabic on their protest signs so the French would know what the are protesting. But what do I know anyway? I'm not really an expert on the subject.
The video indicated and showed protests in about five Muslim nations.  No one there was wearing a mask.  They didn't seem to like Macron.  There were no anti-Trump signs.  Seems foreigners like Trump and America better than Macron and France.  Now that's progress.  Trump needs four more years to consolidate that support worldwide.

James Clark

« Reply #3574 on: October 30, 2020, 11:05:44 am »

There a plenty of people with the contents of the hard drive and they are reporting about it.  7 million people saw Bobulinski on Tucker the other night and did you read or hear anything about it in the MSM?  They just can't let the great unwashed see behind the curtain it seems. 

A few data points:

Computer shop owners lawyer's statement[/u]
https://justthenews.com/accountability/russia-and-ukraine-scandals/lawyer-delaware-shop-owner-fbi-initially-turned-down

DOJ official confirms FBI 2019 criminal investigation into Hunter Biden, still active
https://local21news.com/news/nation-world/tony-bobulinksi-i-have-now-put-myself-in-huge-risk-for-the-sake-of-the-american-people

And I'll save the best for last...

EXCLUSIVE: NY Post’s ‘Smoking Gun’ Hunter Biden Email 100% Authentic, Forensic Analysis

https://dailycaller.com/2020/10/29/cybersecurity-expert-authenticates-hunter-biden-burisma-email/

I'm going to run with the idea that this is all true, and that (Joe) Biden DID meet with the guy from Burisma.   I have it on good authority that, in fact, Biden has already responded to this.  Here's the quote I found:

I don’t know thoseat gentleman,” Trump Biden told reporters outside the White House. “Now, it’s possible I have a picture with them him because I have a picture with everybody. I don’t know themhim, I don’t know about themhim, I don’t know what they do."  (Side note - I have to applaud Biden for leaving that last "they" pronoun indeterminate, in an obvious nod to TEH LBGTQ AGENDA.

You can find the quote buried at WAPO somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:21:37 am by James Clark »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3575 on: October 30, 2020, 11:22:19 am »

I know. I used it the way that I intended. Exponentially as in "rapidly increasing in growth". Characterized by or being an extremely rapid increase (as in size or extent).

Is my vocabulary and proper word usage what you'd really like to discuss?

To put it another way, you misused the word. You are not Humpty Dumpty. I forbore from pointing out also that it's is an adverb, not an adjective.

Language is important: it's how we communicate, particularly when we can't take photographs. Words have meanings. They are not your playthings, to be misused. So yes, it's an important topic; not, as you narcissistically suggest, specifically your vocabulary but language in general.

It's also far more interesting than the subject of the thread, but that's a separate point.

Jeremy

faberryman

« Reply #3576 on: October 30, 2020, 11:33:08 am »

The video indicated and showed protests in about five Muslim nations.  No one there was wearing a mask.  They didn't seem to like Macron.  There were no anti-Trump signs.  Seems foreigners like Trump and America better than Macron and France.  Now that's progress.  Trump needs four more years to consolidate that support worldwide.

Fascinating.

James Clark

« Reply #3577 on: October 30, 2020, 11:34:06 am »

To put it another way, you misused the word. You are not Humpty Dumpty. I forbore from pointing out also that it's is an adverb, not an adjective.

Language is important: it's how we communicate, particularly when we can't take photographs. Words have meanings. They are not your playthings, to be misused. So yes, it's an important topic; not, as you narcissistically suggest, specifically your vocabulary but language in general.

It's also far more interesting than the subject of the thread, but that's a separate point.

Jeremy

Hard talk from someone that can't even spell "color," "parlor," or "neighbor" correctly.

faberryman

« Reply #3578 on: October 30, 2020, 11:36:02 am »

No one there was wearing a mask.  They didn't seem to like Macron.  There were no anti-Trump signs.  Seems foreigners like Trump and America better than Macron and France.  Now that's progress.  Trump needs four more years to consolidate that support worldwide.

We'll, you are perhaps in a better position to know than I am. I can't read Arabic so I don't have any idea what the signs said.

I emailed the video to a friend of mine who speaks Arabic. He said he didn't see any anti-peach pie signs. I guess Muslims like peach pie.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:44:12 am by faberryman »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #3579 on: October 30, 2020, 11:45:32 am »

You may have lost track, which is completely understandable, but this thread is about the US election. Or I thought it was anyway.

But the video seemed to come from Guardian News. I'm surprised that you consider them a credible source.
--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 194   Go Up