My take on masks is this: whilst one may not prevent me catching much, it at east stops my involuntary spittle or whatever going further from my face than it needs to go, and certainly not onto innocent passers-by.
I made my own - mask, not passer-by: a handkerchief folded four thichnesses, and then the ends stitched back to form a loop through each of which I passed a bit of twine which then gets knotted to two rubber bands. Works perfectly well, but boy is it hot as the temperature out here rises! Rubber bands don't fare well in sunshine - have you noticed?
When I come home, I spray the thing with alcohol and hang it to dry. I then wash both my hands and face with soap and hot water. The face already hangs - whether dry or not, so little need for added effort there.
Actually, if I survive the run of this pandemic, it might become a pleasant habit to wash my face every time I come home (feels kinda nice, like a cold shower without the inconvenience), even though we don't get the 50s Glaswegian smogs I remember with such grimy affection... Imagine being a coal miner: it could change your whole life.
Rob