Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Confirms 8K EOS R Camera in Development  (Read 9733 times)

chez

Re: Canon Confirms 8K EOS R Camera in Development
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2020, 10:17:29 am »

If I am not wrong the only thing that’s new is the mention of an October availability?

The corona is mentionned as the reason but I wouldn’t be surprised if the 1DxIII freezing after 5 frames had caused a huge questionning inside Canon causing a deep reengineering of their QA processes.

Cheers,
Bernard

So has Nikon figured out how not to spit oil all over the sensor?

How about the VR issues on their mirrorless cameras?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:22:40 am by chez »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2020, 06:14:28 pm »

Bernard, we all know that hell will freeze over before you'll ever be seen with a Canon in hand ...  ;D ;D ;D

Well Canon certainly doesn’t make it easy to buy into the brand by announcing a product with vague specs 6 months before availability and affecting they top of the notch unbreakable Olympic camera with a bug so critical that it prevents the most basic operation of the camera... taking pictures in sequence.

But I am still interested in the R5 and a couple of RF lenses.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2020, 06:22:54 pm »

So has Nikon figured out how not to spit oil all over the sensor?

How about the VR issues on their mirrorless cameras?

I am not sure why you feel the urge to bring these old Nikon issues in a Canon R5 thread, but as far as I can tell both issues were fixed a long time ago and Nikon seems to be able nowadays to detect/fix issues before shipping products. It still is no excuse for these inacceptable problems.

Note though that none of those affected their D1-5 pro series and that none of those prevented the photographer from taking pictures. I would think that nobody got fired because of them.

Would you agree with me that they are therefore an order of magnitude less critical than the 1DxIII issue?

Do you think that Canon deserves a pass on this issue?

Do you not think it could have an impact on the delay of the R5?

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2020, 06:57:07 pm »

I am not sure why you feel the urge to bring these old Nikon issues in a Canon R5 thread, but as far as I can tell both issues were fixed a long time ago and Nikon seems to be able nowadays to detect/fix issues before shipping products. It still is no excuse for these inacceptable problems.

Note though that none of those affected their D1-5 pro series and that none of those prevented the photographer from taking pictures. I would think that nobody got fired because of them.

Would you agree with me that they are therefore an order of magnitude less critical than the 1DxIII issue?

Do you think that Canon deserves a pass on this issue?

Do you not think it could have an impact on the delay of the R5?

Cheers,
Bernard

No Bernard Canon nor Nikon nor Sony nor Fuji deserve a pass on the issues they let slip through...but it seems you love to slam every manufacturer than your dear Nikon...which is all golden.

Manoli

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2020, 08:42:21 pm »

Boys, boys, boys.

I started this thread not to have another canikon bust-up, but on the announcement of a long overdue Canon pro body, the mirrorless market was, IMO, finally shaping up for a battle royal over the #1 spot. In all likelihood, we'll eventually look back on a watershed year.

Four major players, from what I see with different strategies, different pluses - all coming to a head. None of the companies are undeserving of criticism over their recent past, but past it is. Were moving into the moment when MILC should soon consign the DSLR to history - so what comes down now will have added importance 'cos neither Canon or Nikon are licensing their AF systems or lens mounts ( stand to be corrected on this) thus a buyer will be committing to a proprietary sytem.

Much as I'm piqued by the Canon 85/1.2, for sure, I won't be buying it to put it on a D6 MII spec body with a medium grade sensor. Likewise, Nikon have some excellent lenses but I'd not return to the fold until there's a D3/D3x (or later) quality pro body - albeit that they seem to have a different lens strategy/focus to Canon.

So can we keep the input to focussing on constructive criticism (and praise when deserved) as opposed to arbitrarily declaring a single item 'best-in-class' etc etc 'cos that, I think, would make this a more interesting and valuable thread as we move through the year.

--
[disclosure: I'm running an A7II/A7rII with a couple of Batis' lenses, having sold my 'pro' gear (except for a profoto B4) over 4 years ago - so I'm open minded, not needing to switch, but not averse to it - depends entirely on what comes down!]

Manoli

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2020, 08:52:50 pm »

I seem to remember that this 'hiccup' kinda happened back in the days of an early 1Ds(?). Canon sent a whole team down to work through the AF problems with one Rob Galbraith. The rest, as they say, is history. Time will tell how/if it impacts the sales of either of the new bodies.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2020, 09:55:27 pm »

No Bernard Canon nor Nikon nor Sony nor Fuji deserve a pass on the issues they let slip through...but it seems you love to slam every manufacturer than your dear Nikon...which is all golden.

Not at all, I have been very critical of Nikon when they deserved it.

It’s an urban legend that you keep repeating.

But it’s totally irrelevant to this thread.

I find the R5 potentially interesting and some RF lenses are appealing, mostly the 85mm f1.2 indeed.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:33:01 am by BernardLanguillier »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2020, 08:22:23 am »

In the past i waited and waited for a real Pro 50mm nikkor lens that did not come; In the end i was very happy Sigma made the 50mm ART .
Now Nikon starts with a 58mm0.95S , 50mm 1.8S and  a 50mm 1.2S lens...

The Nikkor line up till 2021 shows what comes, but also what doesn't come...   Apart from this 50mm 1.2 no faster lens than 1.8
Combined with the fact that you can buy only a few other brands lenses on the Z camera's - that is weak point.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2020, 09:50:02 am »

In the past i waited and waited for a real Pro 50mm nikkor lens that did not come; In the end i was very happy Sigma made the 50mm ART .
Now Nikon starts with a 58mm0.95S , 50mm 1.8S and  a 50mm 1.2S lens...

The Nikkor line up till 2021 shows what comes, but also what doesn't come...   Apart from this 50mm 1.2 no faster lens than 1.8
Combined with the fact that you can buy only a few other brands lenses on the Z camera's - that is weak point.

True but you can adapt Sony glass to the Nikon Z bodies with TechArt adapter.

Works fine with AF for static subjects.

Cheers,
Bernard

Manoli

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2020, 09:54:24 am »

AFAIK, the z-mount / nikon AF system is proprietary and not licenced (unlike Sony).
The only way of extending lens selection is through the ftz adapter which at this point is something of a retrograde step, particularly if the new super-sensors materialize.

Edit:
@kers
A few posts back you memtioned Sigma ART.
Sigma, in case you missed it, are part of the new 'L' (Leica) alliance.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:13:01 am by Manoli »

chez

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2020, 10:01:52 am »

True but you can adapt Sony glass to the Nikon Z bodies with TechArt adapter.

Works fine with AF for static subjects.

Cheers,
Bernard

Manual focus works fine for static subjects...but many shoot subjects that move. I too use an adapter for some Canon lenses on my Sony cameras, but mostly landscapes. For my travel / cultural photography its native lenses all the way as I just don't want to struggle with the slower focus on adapted lenses.

The one smart move by Sony is their open lens mount which allows 3rd party lens providers to develop lenses for the Sony cameras without having to reverse engineer the lens protocols. Sigma has released some amazingly good lenses for the Sony mount which AF just as good as native Sony lenses.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2020, 10:32:58 am »

I agree it is not the way to go to buy static and moving subject lenses...

I am aware of the L-mount aliance...
My position is i have a d850 and very fine Nikkor and Sigma lenses that go beyond 46MP.
The quality that the images have are astounding so i just wait and see how things are developing since there is so much movement everywhere.
I just developed some Nikon 3DX images ( the first 24MP-10 years ago 6000€)  to find out how much the quality (sensor and optical) has improved the last decade up to a level that it is beyond my commercial needs. For me if there is a weak link it is the usability - AF, wifi-connection, shuttersound, sensor refreshrate...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BJL

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2020, 04:02:12 pm »

The limitation with R and Z cameras seems to be third party lenses rather than all adapted lenses: last I read, Canon and Nikon SLR lenses perform fine via adaptors, and there are lots of those lenses.

What, if anything, is the evidence that the performance of “F on Z” or “EF on R” will hamper photographers (in terms of getting the results they want or need in practice,  not just in a resolution numbers game)

Manoli

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2020, 09:39:36 pm »

The limitation with R and Z cameras seems to be third party lenses rather than all adapted lenses: last I read, Canon and Nikon SLR lenses perform fine via adaptors, and there are lots of those lenses.

What, if anything, is the evidence that the performance of “F on Z” or “EF on R” will hamper photographers (in terms of getting the results they want or need in practice,  not just in a resolution numbers game)

Fairly pointless in investing in the new systems if you're basing your usage on legacy EF/F lines. Canon supplied an adapter with each R body. That was then. New high-end lenses now need new high-end bodies, or vice versa, depending on where one's priorities are.

BJL

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2020, 12:20:42 am »

Fairly pointless in investing in the new systems if you're basing your usage on legacy EF/F lines. Canon supplied an adapter with each R body. That was then. New high-end lenses now need new high-end bodies, or vice versa, depending on where one's priorities are.
It can be a mix of new and old: lenses from the new system where they are the best choice, plus some SLR lenses, either already owned or that for now fill gaps in the new lens system. (My MFT setup is like that, with a couple of Four Thirds SLR lenses I had with my Four Thirds bodies, alongside mostly smaller, lighter MFT lenses; I use what best suits the outing)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2020, 02:14:39 am »

It does seem that adapted lenses used with Nikon or Canon adapters work very well on their respective mirrorless systems. Do the new native lenses work better in respect to the new AF systems on the mirrorless bodies? I know canon lenses adapted to Sony using third party adapters don't work as well as native glass but that is a very different scenario.

For myself I no longer buy manual focussing lenses as I have come to rely very heavily on AF and regularly shoot stuff that years ago would have been really difficult to pull off. The reported poor AF of the very expensive Sony 85mm 1,4 is the reason I am not buying that lens.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2020, 02:39:26 am »

I am personally getting more tack sharp images with my 105mm f1.4 at f1.4 on the Z7 than I did on the D850.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2020, 01:23:48 am »

I am personally getting more tack sharp images with my 105mm f1.4 at f1.4 on the Z7 than I did on the D850.

Cheers,
Bernard
Jim Kasson has done a lot of good job on focusing accuracy and he really found the Z-series to be far more accurate than the D850.

But, it seems that the Z-series has a lot of focusing modes and they are not created equal.

Achieving correct/optimal/best focus matter a lot for best sharpness, especially with good lenses.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Manoli

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2020, 10:12:23 am »

I am personally getting more tack sharp images with my 105mm f1.4 ...

Wrong thread but too good to miss [/sense-of-levity-required]:

Lachlan Baileyn on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Zm33AnNEq/?igshid=1nmo2vcmnferw

My first assistant @jakemerrill and I worked pretty hard to capture a 70s diffused look in-camera, using old lenses and a bunch of other analogue tricks. Hard to appreciate on a small screen but I was really happy with how it looked as a print.

> How do you do it? I was always curious how David Hamilton got that gauzy look
> Apparently he used to breath on the lens .... I tried that but it just seemed too Creepy lol  <3

Bernard, Bernard are you still there ?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2020, 08:25:06 am »

Wrong thread but too good to miss [/sense-of-levity-required]:

Lachlan Baileyn on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Zm33AnNEq/?igshid=1nmo2vcmnferw

Bernard, Bernard are you still there ?

yes yes... it goes to show that a B&W photograph of a beautiful woman wearing a slightly transparent top and no bra doesn't require much sharpness at all... :)

Why am I not surprised?

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up