Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad's "game changer" 22nd of June?  (Read 183707 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Hasselblad's "game changer" 22nd of June?
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2016, 03:53:46 pm »

Instagram is square  ;)

SOOO true, thank goodness for the crop app, thanks for bringing this up.  I find that I am always having to crop or alter for Instagram.  As I said, I am just old fashion but most things in life are not square.   ;)  (at least to my eyes)

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Osprey

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2016, 04:05:20 pm »

Traditionally, it was a pain to flop over even a 6x4.5 to vertical, and I think it was quite easy to crop square pictures for whatever magazine spread use you needed if you place the subject correctly.

I have to ask, why would square be nice?  I just can't see the reasons.  I can't think of many shots in the field that really lend them to a square format, and especially a framed print, as the vast majority of standard frames and framed print sizes don't work well with a square format.  Magazine copy, is mostly not square at least what I see.  I remember using the original Kodak 16MP chip yes it was square, and I hated it.  It may be just me, but I greatly prefer the 4:3 ratio of MF or 3:2 of 35mm.  Just me I guess. 

If square is an option of a unique sensor that is also offering a pano option, then sure.  But to limit it to square I am missing this. 

When I shot the Kodak, I almost always was taking two shots side by side to blend together later. 

Just curious, I understand the heritage of Hasselblad and all that and the square format.  But hey, I can't use a waist level finder either, framing with it drives me a bit crazy.

Paul C

donbga

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2016, 04:51:23 pm »

I think it should obvious what will be announced will be a digital Holga or Diana.A true game changer in either case.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2016, 05:33:59 pm »

I'm in the XPan camp... betting on a pano format.  Maybe the 'game changer' is that they're doing one that keeps its paint on?

Theodoros

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2016, 06:03:12 pm »

I guess that the oval shaped lens cover and then the similarly shaped "hole" by it, suggest that this camera has side sifts built in and the "hole" has some kind of control hidden for lens (and maybe sensor too) positioning... So, I guess this is not the "entry level" DSLR that Mr. Oosting was talking about in his interview, but one out of the "lots of new releases" he promised earlier on in the Lula interview.... Probably a modern x-pan indeed... especially if the image area is also "sliding" too....

aaron

• http://
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2016, 06:22:07 pm »

If it'a a square sensor or a panoramic, where would they get this sensor from?

Theodoros

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2016, 06:30:38 pm »

It's not a square sensor... this is just on some people "wish list"... You don't need a "panoramic sensor" to make a panoramic camera... a standard 2x3 or 3x4 (depending on the format) will do... It can be a camera that has "auto stitching"... Everybody is trying to explain  that "oval shape" mount here... It looks like the lens can "travel" from one side to the other...

Joe Towner

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2016, 06:35:07 pm »

Anything in the Fuji GA645 realm with the Sony 33x44 50mp would be just fun.  Minor amount of zoom would be appreciated (GA645Zi), and I'll accept if the lens is attached as a trade off.  I don't like EVF's, and would love a rangefinder optical with liveview on the main LCD.  Just don't pull a Sony and put in a 100 shot battery in it.

Too much?
t: @PNWMF

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2016, 07:42:25 pm »

Never knew this subforum had so many readers!

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2016, 08:42:22 pm »

Most probably not Sony, so CMOSIS is the only reasonable option.

The previous gen of their sensors (various Leica cameras) are not totally at Sony level, but they are still probably better than anything else and the cameras using them produce beautiful images while scoring pretty well technically.

That would be my bet.

Cheers,
Bernard

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2016, 02:35:30 am »

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/anamorphic-lenses
Will be stupid expensive if they did it, but why not? Anything is possible in the rumor stage.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

torger

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2016, 02:46:46 am »

I just find it unlikely that they would have an unusual shape, I just don't see the demand being there. People crop like crazy anyway, the time when your aspect ratio was the same as the film ratio of your camera is long gone. But as seen in the rumor stream someone claims that Hasselblad has said that it will be an unusal aspect ratio... if so I think as Bernard that it would be CMOSIS rather than Sony behind the sensor, and that would actually be refreshing. It's boring with the Sony dominance, just like the Dalsa dominance was boring.

Built in stitching with a moving lens would be something, perhaps with multishot too, but that seems too gimmicky to me to be an actual product.

I'm still guessing on 44x33 mirrorless system...

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2016, 03:54:33 am »

I really don't think it has a moving lens. Way to complicated and there would be no way for good automatic stitching. The sensor would have to move not the lens.

My fear it's a boring 4:3 50mp camera and the unusual aspect ration is only because it's not 3:2 ...

Square is another option, but is there REALLY a big market for it ?

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2016, 05:36:11 am »

Whatever it is I really hope it's nothing I want.

Wisest comment so far! ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2016, 07:36:09 am »

Wisest comment so far! ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

A game-changer for Hassy is a camera under $10K :)

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2016, 07:49:23 am »

Don't know.... IMO it looks too thick to be a mirrorless...  The start of the curve that forms the grip is clear at the right, judging from proportions and the size of the VF, it looks like a DSLR to me... It could of course be that it has been photographed in a way to confuse, but if it was a mirrorless of 33x44 size, the image area to mount distance should be 2-2.2 cm maximum and then another 1-1.5cm max for the rear plate?  That should end to 3.5cm/1&1/2 inch max... This looks to be of similar depth or deeper to a Leica S....

It looks like there is something revolutionary happening with the lens mounting though... Oval shape? ...why? ...are there motorized shifts and/or tilts built in?
Also... That oval shape "hole" next to the grip, seems to have been shaped according to the mount... This is a hint that the two are related... maybe there is some control in there related to the lens mount?

Theo...

Is it possible you have time to make a list of specific predictions about this release? Maybe with probabilities or confidences you think for each one?

eronald

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2016, 07:55:30 am »

Theo...

Is it possible you have time to make a list of specific predictions about this release? Maybe with probabilities or confidences you think for each one?

Doug, rumors are Hassy have a clip-on set of blades that turn their camera into a drone, which can be used indoors !!!!!!
Here is the prototype:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOptzQP4bJU

Edmund

torger

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2016, 08:02:03 am »

I kind of liked the idea to get one camera system and use it throughout the career. Even expensive systems like medium format are quite okay that way. I'm not really interested jumping between "current best" every 3-4 years. Unfortunately I bet on the wrong horse and the MF industry seems to have chosen to slowly kill the tech cam genre, but it hasn't increased my want for other cameras. Shooting large format film may be the most suitable future option for me, which has actually caused me to be less interested in live view and other digital convenience features as it makes me less prepared to shoot film.

I'm always interested in new products from an engineering and business perspective though.

Wildlife photography, especially video, has really evolved thanks to technology with ultra-high sensitivities, super telezooms, remote controlled lightweight camera systems, drones etc. When it comes to more static genres like landscape, portraits etc I don't really see that the past 10 years technical development has contributed much to evolve the styles. For landscape we've got dynamic range and HDR.

So "game changing" in terms of how we make pictures in highly unlikely. But it could be game-changing in terms of MF pricing and accessability for example. An attractively priced mirrorless 44x33 camera body with short enough flange distance so it can take virtually everything could be the next "A7r-II", on every landscape enthusiast's wishlist and many pro photographers that use Actus etc for tech photography. If it's a panoramic camera with quite long flange distance I don't expect it to be as popular.

Theodoros

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2016, 08:17:44 am »

Theo...

I'd rather wait for the announcement to make comments... Surely the (hidden) info up to now creates much wonder... It is good to see some makers trying to find solutions for advancing one's creativity, than others who create cameras only to improve on what DSLR users do (and do very well to the extend than one doesn't need better)...

Theodoros

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2016, 08:27:12 am »

I kind of liked the idea to get one camera system and use it throughout the career.......

Everybody does... Having a system that requires the minimum of lenses and then with different bodies be able to cope with all different tasks, is the "true" photographer's dream... Rollei achieved it (with the 6000 system)... only thing that was missing them having the platform, the lenses, the view camera base and the compatible shutter, all with the same interface... was an adapter as to fit the (fast) lenses on a DSLR... which I bet would have happened by now....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Up