Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson Platine vs Epson Legacy Platine - profiles interchangeable?  (Read 24881 times)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: Canson Platine vs Epson Legacy Platine - profiles interchangeable?
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2016, 06:02:57 am »

Savings?? Currently if you look at the prices at B&H, Epson Legacy is about 35%-45% more than the Canson counterparts.

That's weird. Shades of Paper has them almost exactly the same price.

disneytoy

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2016, 09:29:31 pm »

Problem,

I'm using the Canson Baryta profiles. They say to use Epson OremiumLuster as paper type n my 9890. I am having trouble cutting the paper.

I had the cutter fail on a 44" print. Not much fun to hand cut that size.

Since the luster soldier s a thinner paper than the Baryta, are there any settings on the printer or not n the driver to help cut the paper?

Thanks

Max

Dan Wells

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2016, 03:43:53 pm »

In the video on the first page of the thread, the Epson rep states that the fibre paper actually uses photo black ink... I'd never heard of that before, and the profile on Epson's web site is clearly marked for the expected matte black... Anyone heard of using the fibre as a PK paper?

stockjock

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2016, 02:01:37 am »

FYI for anyone taking advantage of the Epson "buy three get one free" rebate. I just purchased three rolls of Legacy Baryta. I received three rolls in boxes labeled "Legacy Baryta", but inside were two rolls of Legacy Fibre and one roll of Legacy Platine.

So if you are buying multiple rolls, when you receive them make sure you open all the boxes and check that the paper is correct. You would hate to have a surprise months down the road.

Dave

Note: I too am printing using the Canson Platine profile (from ImagePrint). Seems to be successful.

I wasn't planning on printing on the rolls of Legacy Fibre and Legacy Platine that I purchased as part of the rebate anytime soon since I have so much Canson paper to use up, but based on your post I opened one of the boxes of Legacy Fibre and I didn't see anything on the roll that indicated what sort of paper it was.  Other than unwrapping it and looking at the surface how did you discover which roll was what kind of paper?

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2016, 07:06:29 am »

I wasn't planning on printing on the rolls of Legacy Fibre and Legacy Platine that I purchased as part of the rebate anytime soon since I have so much Canson paper to use up, but based on your post I opened one of the boxes of Legacy Fibre and I didn't see anything on the roll that indicated what sort of paper it was.  Other than unwrapping it and looking at the surface how did you discover which roll was what kind of paper?

I had to guess from the surface. I ordered three boxes of Baryta so the two that were matte were obviously wrong. Shades of Paper asked for the lot numbers and confirmed those were Fibre. The Platine was a bit less obvious. I had some Canson Baryta, and the back of the Epson paper wasn't anything like the CIBP. It reminded me of Canson Platine, although I didn't have any to directly compare. Platine has a better feel on the back because of the cotton base, and when you fold it Platine kind of crumbles and tears.

If yours are all matte and smooth, you should be fine. I haven't seen Etching but I bet it is a bit like the difference between Hot Press and Cold Press. My guess it was only Baryta that got messed up at the warehouse or factory. The lot numbers on the box matched the lot numbers inside the roll tube, so somehow they put Baryta labels on other products. My half-baked theory is the different papers are made in different places but they all use the same box and come to a central place on pallets. It is that warehouse that adds the labels where the problem occurred. But I'm just guessing.

Dave

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:09:37 am by dchew »

stockjock

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2016, 12:11:03 pm »

I had to guess from the surface. I ordered three boxes of Baryta so the two that were matte were obviously wrong. Shades of Paper asked for the lot numbers and confirmed those were Fibre. The Platine was a bit less obvious. I had some Canson Baryta, and the back of the Epson paper wasn't anything like the CIBP. It reminded me of Canson Platine, although I didn't have any to directly compare. Platine has a better feel on the back because of the cotton base, and when you fold it Platine kind of crumbles and tears.

If yours are all matte and smooth, you should be fine. I haven't seen Etching but I bet it is a bit like the difference between Hot Press and Cold Press. My guess it was only Baryta that got messed up at the warehouse or factory. The lot numbers on the box matched the lot numbers inside the roll tube, so somehow they put Baryta labels on other products. My half-baked theory is the different papers are made in different places but they all use the same box and come to a central place on pallets. It is that warehouse that adds the labels where the problem occurred. But I'm just guessing.

Dave

Thanks for the clarification.  If anybody else runs into the same problem with Legacy Platine or Fibre I hope they will post.  Since I didn't order the Legacy Baryta I think I am going to wait for other posters to identify a problem with those products too before opening and unwrapping all 6 rolls.

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2016, 09:25:23 pm »

When I heard about the Legacy papers, my first thought, in consideration of the platine and baryta names, was to wonder in a blog post if Canson was indeed the mysterious "European" mill.

Having begun to print one of my portfolios on Canson Platine, which I love, I have yet to make my own comparisons but look forward to doing so.

Interesting to read the opinions here.

P.S. Newby post #2

deanwork

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2016, 09:58:04 am »

The mysterious European mill is Felix Schoeller. Ernst mentioned that a long time ago in regard to Canson.

They say it right here on their website in regard to Canson's coatings. The Platine paper base has been made for a long time by Canson for use in high-end Platinum printing. We used to use it and it was the best I ever tried by far. When we compared it to Arches, BFK, and others there was no comparison with Platinum. I don't know who sized that stuff, probably Schoeller.

https://www.felix-schoeller.com/en_en/service/news/news-detail.html?news_id=183&cHash=1f977649db74bc4703920d46ab216e98

I just printed two shows of 30x40 color prints on the "Legacy" Platine this week and I used a box of 8.5x11  Canson Platine to proof everything with. Same icc. No Problem.

If Epson sells theirs for less I'll buy it in the future. If they don't, I won't.

John

When I heard about the Legacy papers, my first thought, in consideration of the platine and baryta names, was to wonder in a blog post if Canson was indeed the mysterious "European" mill.

Having begun to print one of my portfolios on Canson Platine, which I love, I have yet to make my own comparisons but look forward to doing so.

Interesting to read the opinions here.

P.S. Newby post #2

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2016, 12:36:34 pm »

Thanks for the info, John. My thoughts exactly. To your eye, is there any apparent difference -- in surface and tone -- between the Canson Platine and "Legacy" platine?

If Epson sells theirs for less I'll buy it in the future. If they don't, I won't.

John

rdonson

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2016, 02:46:29 pm »

I also wonder if the differences might only become noticeable if using the latest Epson inkset.
Regards,
Ron

deanwork

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2016, 03:13:40 pm »

Yea, that is quite possible. Some of the media may or may not have a better dmax with Epson inks. I know when Canson did change their coating sometime back, over a  year ago, I measured a drop in dmax with my K7 inks and the HP inks on the Rag Photographique, but not with the Canon Lucia inks.

I'm not seeing any difference with the current rolls and sheets of Canson Platine and Rag Photographique. I haven't tried any of the other Legacy papers like the Etching and Baryta. The Canson Etching has always had the same coating as the Rag Photographique but the Canson Baryta is very similar if not identical to a lot of other alpha cellulose baryta brands out there.

john

I also wonder if the differences might only become noticeable if using the latest Epson inkset.

Snapshot

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2016, 03:42:05 pm »

Interesting. Could you please share where that Felix Schoeller paper can be found for that price? Thanks.

Kind regards,
Selmar

I'm 99% sure that neither Canson nor Epson are the manufacturers of those papers: they are made by Felix Schoeller.
They also sell some of their products to Hahnemuhle (The Photo Silk Baryta is basically the same as the Canson Baryta).

Felix Schoeller papers come in a white box and they are not easy to find, but they are usually cheaper than re branded versions:
25 sheets, Baryta, A3+ (13*19)
Canson: 90€
FS: 58€

deanwork

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2016, 06:17:48 pm »

They have sheets and rolls of various sizes at Freestyle. This 44" roll is well over a hundred dollars cheaper than the Canson or Epson versions.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/385441-Arista-II-Legacy-Series-Baryta-Photo-310gsm-Inkjet-Paper-44-in.-x-50

'''''''''actually just checked and it is over a hunderd dollars cheaper than the new Legacy Baryta but the Canson has been reduced to $265.00, at least through Shades of Paper, where I buy all my media.

John

Interesting. Could you please share where that Felix Schoeller paper can be found for that price? Thanks.

Kind regards,
Selmar
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:22:47 pm by deanwork »

LGeb

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2016, 07:37:30 am »

Freestyle is also having a 10% off baryta sale this month, so prices are even better.

Has anyone tried the Arista-II Legacy Series Baryta Photo 310gsm Inkjet Paper? Does it behave like the Felix Schoeller papers?

Snapshot

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2016, 04:28:47 pm »

Thanks for the info!

Kind regards,
Selmar

They have sheets and rolls of various sizes at Freestyle. This 44" roll is well over a hundred dollars cheaper than the Canson or Epson versions.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/385441-Arista-II-Legacy-Series-Baryta-Photo-310gsm-Inkjet-Paper-44-in.-x-50

'''''''''actually just checked and it is over a hunderd dollars cheaper than the new Legacy Baryta but the Canson has been reduced to $265.00, at least through Shades of Paper, where I buy all my media.

John
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up