Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone else have problems with C1's inability to "render" in realtime?  (Read 14881 times)

JaapD

Re: Does anyone else have problems with C1's inability to "render" in realtime?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 11:43:58 am »

that was mean, as if FRV is some kind of shitty software, pardon my language...

Point taken! Allow me to explain a bit. I am a paying customer and also a huge fan of FRV. It's an impressive piece of software with respect to its performance. I have shared my positive attitude of FRV to many forum readers on Lula, GetDPI and FujiX. The same is applicable to C1 by the way.

The thing is that with FRV there is not a complete sw development team behind it, and because of this I used the word 'even'. With C1 there is a complete development team behind it and therefore I expect more from them!

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 11:56:40 am »

If I remember correctly the GTX460 is only 1GB max, and also 4GB of memory is pretty low for any OS and Imaging program.

I think that probably describes your problem!

David

You asked me about my video and that is the ram I was referring to. My system ram is at least 16GB, the Total available graphic is 4GB while dedicated is 1GB.

How much VRam do I need so I don't get ANY of my adjustments to throw up a blurry inbetween frame when developing?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:14:25 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 03:27:21 pm »

You asked me about my video and that is the ram I was referring to. My system ram is at least 16GB, the Total available graphic is 4GB while dedicated is 1GB.

How much VRam do I need so I don't get ANY of my adjustments to throw up a blurry inbetween frame when developing?

Is it this card Phil?

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-460/specifications

I only see max 1GB.

I would also check for the latest drivers (WIN) for that card, incase there is an update.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 04:32:52 pm »

I definitely see that on my 2.6GHz i7(dual core) 16GB, 1TB SSD, MacBook Pro and it is a bit annoying - you can see it in David Grover's webinars as well and he is using a MBP in those.   But on my workstation class desktop (4GHz i7quad core, 32GB, SSD, Nvidia GEForce-760 Titanium (3GB)) there is no lag whatsoever - everything is real time.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 08:05:32 pm »

Is it this card Phil?

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-460/specifications

I only see max 1GB.

I would also check for the latest drivers (WIN) for that card, incase there is an update.

Yes David, one of the 2 1 GB cards.I guess a 3GB is the answer? I think at one time my thought process was to tryy and limit this, as ,y thinking was that the OS will now take 3GB of the system ram and put it towards the Video ram. Not sure if that is correct, but. Also thanks E.J , at least I should have the like results with a Vram increase.  Good idea about the driver update David, thanks.

I hope I can get it to work without the glitch.

Doug was saying most adjustments should be no delay/in-between image....which are the most taxing?

• Capture One
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 03:53:57 am »

I definitely see that on my 2.6GHz i7(dual core) 16GB, 1TB SSD, MacBook Pro and it is a bit annoying - you can see it in David Grover's webinars as well and he is using a MBP in those.   But on my workstation class desktop (4GHz i7quad core, 32GB, SSD, Nvidia GEForce-760 Titanium (3GB)) there is no lag whatsoever - everything is real time.

Hey Ej- That's more GTW catching up and a low frame rate.  Its pretty much real time on the MBP too.  ;)
David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2015, 03:55:18 am »

Yes David, one of the 2 1 GB cards.I guess a 3GB is the answer? I think at one time my thought process was to tryy and limit this, as ,y thinking was that the OS will now take 3GB of the system ram and put it towards the Video ram. Not sure if that is correct, but. Also thanks E.J , at least I should have the like results with a Vram increase.  Good idea about the driver update David, thanks.

I hope I can get it to work without the glitch.

Doug was saying most adjustments should be no delay/in-between image....which are the most taxing?

Hey Phil,

Hmmm doesn't really work like that.  A low spec card is a low spec card.  Memory is one thing but its processor speed should also be taken into account.

I would recommend investing in a decent video card.

David
David Grover

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2015, 04:11:44 am »

OK, whats your top 5 recommendations?

thanks!

• Capture One
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 10:38:23 am »

OK, whats your top 5 recommendations?

thanks!

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1720&languageid=1

Top 5?  Spend as much as you can and go from there.

That article should be from Jan 2015 not 2014.  Typo.
David Grover

AlterEgo

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 10:57:58 am »

Yes David, one of the 2 1 GB cards.I guess a 3GB is the answer?
may be unlikely... I have GTX870M which scores versus the current best GPU in MacbookPro = http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-M370X-Mac-vs-GeForce-GTX-870M and I do not have a fluid experience with C1 v8.x on A7R2 raws (I have 32gb RAM, 2xSSD, i7quad core CPU, etc in my notebook) ... now think about this - C1 does not work (unless a staged presentation) fluently on a top mac notebook... on top mac notebook, Carl !

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 01:16:51 pm »

Well shoot, there goes that answer to be the solution.
But I think I can gain from upgrading the card. Although recommending to get the most I can spend includes a bunch of cards designed for 3D and video that can run into $2000+
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:09:40 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

AlterEgo

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 01:57:30 pm »

But I think I can gain from upgrading the card.
hopefully

btw Adobe is not that far from P1... as Eric Chan just not so long ago put in Adobe Camera Raw forum over there - they (he himself actually) develop/test whatever he is in charge of in ACR/LR on a desktop machine with Nvidia K-class GPU (was it K5000 ? I think it was the one... $1000+ GPU) - now where are you going to feel the pain of an average Joe now ? granted Adobe markets the proxies solution where you edit a DNG proxy on a less capable computer where less power is OK and your edits are synced.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 02:10:47 pm »

hopefully

btw Adobe is not that far from P1... as Eric Chan just not so long ago put in Adobe Camera Raw forum over there - they (he himself actually) develop/test whatever he is in charge of in ACR/LR on a desktop machine with Nvidia K-class GPU (was it K5000 ? I think it was the one... $1000+ GPU) - now where are you going to feel the pain of an average Joe now ? granted Adobe markets the proxies solution where you edit a DNG proxy on a less capable computer where less power is OK and your edits are synced.

Yes, LR has a delay, BUT the major issue is that there is no in-between brain erase of previous short term stored image. So you know the change you made (even the slightest).

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 02:14:17 pm »

I would consider any of the Nvidia GX960 or 980.  They come in 4GB to 8GB but 4 should be fine.  128 or 256 cache. Again 128 should be fine.

Purchase of a high dollar card in 1K dollar or higher IMO is a waist for both C1 or LR these cards are meant for rendering and high speed video work  I don't see C1 needing this much video card.

You can pick up a 4GB Nvidia 960 in the 235.00 price range.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2015, 06:18:20 pm »

Thanks Paul that helps. I also need to make sure it supports dual 30" 2560x(1440)1600 screens/Dual head display at the max res. I maybe upgrading one of the screens to be 4K soon...but if that opens up a new can of issues, I may need to get 2 cards, or a new one and the old gtx460 running now for the 2nd screen.

980 is $400 and up for a 4Gb!
I miss the days of Photoshop video card requirments :-/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:45:46 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 01:07:02 pm »

Looks like CUDA core numbers would also help

AlterEgo

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 01:14:03 pm »

Looks like CUDA core numbers would also help
P1 people stated that C1 will be using (always ?) all GPUs - both iGPU (in CPU) and dGPU... so you might consider getting a dual dGPU

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2015, 03:12:23 pm »

I'm getting the 970 SSC. On Newegg for about 300+

The View

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2015, 02:44:14 am »

It is typical for C1 that different users have different problems on different machines.

Maybe because they are a small company and cannot test for all setups.

I don't experience the problem described here - but I had it show up a few times and know what Phil is talking about. I'm on a 3 year old MacBook Pro, and it can handle it fine without the blurs.

But I have trouble exporting images - the progress bar goes all crazy when I export, the minutes count down in fast speed, then it disappears, and then it's there again. That's the problem probably only few people have as well (and forget exporting hundreds of images. C1 just doesn't do it)

Phase One likes to tell you your graphics card is bad or switch off the use of the graphics card for general calculating operation, but I think they go too fast with the versions - or there is some old code under the hood that doesn't work with the newest settings. C1 is a bit like a sports car that delivers great results - but it's very maintenance intensive, and when you want to change the oil, you have to take out the engine ;)
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2015, 07:55:26 am »

It is typical for C1 that different users have different problems on different machines.

Maybe because they are a small company and cannot test for all setups.

I don't experience the problem described here - but I had it show up a few times and know what Phil is talking about. I'm on a 3 year old MacBook Pro, and it can handle it fine without the blurs.

But I have trouble exporting images - the progress bar goes all crazy when I export, the minutes count down in fast speed, then it disappears, and then it's there again. That's the problem probably only few people have as well (and forget exporting hundreds of images. C1 just doesn't do it)

Phase One likes to tell you your graphics card is bad or switch off the use of the graphics card for general calculating operation, but I think they go too fast with the versions - or there is some old code under the hood that doesn't work with the newest settings. C1 is a bit like a sports car that delivers great results - but it's very maintenance intensive, and when you want to change the oil, you have to take out the engine ;)

Hi,

Part of the difficulty, besides hardware differences, is that there are several versions of the acceleration standards, and things may change with updates of the various drivers. Chasing a moving target adds to the difficulty of pinning it down.

One may need to additionally verify/specify the version of OpenCL (mainly GPU acceleration), or openGL (mainly display acceleration) that a system is actually running on (if it is not logged/reported automatically on error by C1). I vaguely remember updating my openCL version long ago for some application, and maybe that helped in other places as well. Too many inter-dependencies make it harder to troubleshoot.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up