Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: So where is the new Phase One body  (Read 53833 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: So where is the new Phase One body
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2015, 09:13:47 am »

For the record both the LDS (The "Mormons") and Google have and are currently using our DTDCH systems. They also both use a few other systems including in-house built solutions.

Kolor-Pikker

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2015, 09:16:54 am »

If you really want a camera that can focus, you should probably get a Hassy. Phase will even do you a mount change, if you pay.
Phase's best feature may be the back/ C1 software integration and seamless tethering,  Hassy's attraction is the more modern body with TrueFocus.
You need to decide which feature you need most; it's not an accident that Phase has such success with repro and landscape.

Edmund

True Focus is a crutch for the one AF point that most MF cameras get. Having it is better than guessing during focus/recompose, but use cases mostly narrow down to wider lenses at large apertures, I doubt you'd spot the difference with a 100mm lens.

Having held and shot with a Phase, Hassy, Leica and Pentax, I'd label both Phase and Hassy as the slow and methodical camera systems. Leica's AF isn't the fastest, but is amazingly accurate and the operation feels smooth enough to make it as "sporty" as the 645Z.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2015, 09:17:20 am »

Nice backs from Phase, nice bodies from Hassy - that has been the situation for 10 years, I don't see it changing.

Things change. Sometimes overnight (from the users perspective).

A day before the IQ series was launched you could have said "Phase has backs with great image quality and tethering but crappy user interface".

Then the IQ was launched and it was and still is the best user interface for image review of any professional camera.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2015, 12:32:29 pm »

Things change. Sometimes overnight (from the users perspective).

A day before the IQ series was launched you could have said "Phase has backs with great image quality and tethering but crappy user interface".

Then the IQ was launched and it was and still is the best user interface for image review of any professional camera.

The Phamiya vs Hasselblad body debate  reminds me of the current manned US space program vs. the russian manned launches: The US keeps explaining that its future manned system will magically appear by dint of free enterprise and that the new entirely American system will be much much better and much safer than the russian one. The russians just keep on launching Soyuz, without drama or funerals.

I'll believe in the new Phase body the day I see it. We've had a Mamiya AF, AFDII, AFDIII, Phase DF, Phase DF+, and it is reasonable to expect another small upgrade to the DF3. Also, if radically new tech were really to make an appearance it would be necessary to factor in some time for getting it right.

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:50:34 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

eronald

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2015, 12:54:56 pm »

True Focus is a crutch for the one AF point that most MF cameras get. Having it is better than guessing during focus/recompose, but use cases mostly narrow down to wider lenses at large apertures, I doubt you'd spot the difference with a 100mm lens.

Having held and shot with a Phase, Hassy, Leica and Pentax, I'd label both Phase and Hassy as the slow and methodical camera systems. Leica's AF isn't the fastest, but is amazingly accurate and the operation feels smooth enough to make it as "sporty" as the 645Z.

Kolor,

With a 100mm, I would expect the True Focus to be most useful at 3/4  to full-body portrait body distance, when you need to recompose to fit the body in after focusing on the eye.

The newer SLRs and mirrorless can put a focus point anywhere, and in practice it really helps.

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:07:04 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ciccio

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2015, 03:38:04 pm »

phase will have to run fast with new full frame iq370.....time is running ! best.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2015, 03:55:59 pm »

Hi,

I really liked that comparison, albeit I wouldn't say it is accurate. Phase One cameras seem to be useful.

Hasselblad has a lot of bright ideas, like the HTC, but they may miss a hight resolution back. I don't know how good the new Canon 5Ds is but it will stir up the competition a bit. It is 50 MP in a DSLR body with some nice lenses like T&S 17 and 24.

There may be some hope that Sony gets it's act together to produce a 50 MP mirrorless with EFCS. So I see a lot of good 50 MP options coming.

It would just strike me. It may be that the Phase One camera system is good enough… Yeah, some systems are better, but Phase One may be good enough.

Actually, comparing to DSLRs may offer some perspective. Nikon had a lead in both resolution and DR for long, but Canon still dominates the market. It may be good enough in the areas where it is weak but it may excel in other areas that are important for buyers.

Best regards
Erik

The Phamiya vs Hasselblad body debate  reminds me of the current manned US space program vs. the russian manned launches: The US keeps explaining that its future manned system will magically appear by dint of free enterprise and that the new entirely American system will be much much better and much safer than the russian one. The russians just keep on launching Soyuz, without drama or funerals.

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

Chris Livsey

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2015, 05:43:41 pm »

Nikon had a lead in both resolution and DR for long, but Canon still dominates the market.
Best regards
Erik

Technically Nikon have had a lead at some times but never in sales volume or value. Canon have not been displaced from their dominance despite their technical shortcomings over some periods. The investment in lenses and ancillary dedicated gear acts as a drag on jumping from one of the major players to the other especially knowing that while one may be ahead technically today tomorrow is dawning ever sooner in the digital age and that will change.The problem they both have is the rapidly shrinking market they are selling into which may stifle or perhaps already has the research. Buying in from Sony which both could do will not solve their underlying problem of decreasing sales volume and value.
How does this play into the MF world? I suspect as a warning that the small market they are fighting over is unlikely to grow and shrinking sales cannot be revived just by offering more and more pixels as a differential. There are niches to be exploited, the interesting excursion into museum archiving which we have seen discussed is a good example where price is less sensitive, as it is in higher pro work where the capital cost of the camera is a minor part of the business. The one or two person band wedding is not going to keep MF going as it did when all those photographers aspired to and usually invested in Hasselblad or Rolleiflex they are largely SLR now and fighting for business with some of the cream, or spirants, looking to differentiate themselves with film offerings.
A new Phase body? Why bother? The base of users will swop their current back on the new body and the profit lies in the back. Now if they made a new body and closed the backs off or matched them as unswoppable, of course that's been tried, silly me.

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2015, 07:59:00 pm »

I believe that this is the new Phase One body... Of course I'm just kidding, Doug. A little yank on your digital chain.  ;)

eronald

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2015, 10:39:49 pm »

I believe that this is the new Phase One body... Of course I'm just kidding, Doug. A little yank on your digital chain.  ;)

ROTFLMAO.

Edmund

studio347

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2015, 10:40:48 pm »

I think the main reason to wait for the better phase one camera, is caused by the situation that the initial package deal(back and camera) was attractive to the buyers. And people have invested in the lenses after acquiring the basic equipment.
That could be a wrong decision to some people. The lesson is that don't rely on a package deal too much especially when the equipment is for living. There is no surprise. Not too much blame to phase one neither, since to make a great camera is not an easy job.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2015, 02:51:11 am »

Just to confirm the state of the market I alluded to Canon just posted Q1 2015 results:-

22% decline in interchangeable lens camera unit sales year to year
27% decline in compact unit sales year to year
30.7% decline in operational profit of the Imaging System group year to year

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2015, 03:34:51 am »

As this thread has confirmed, Phase's best feature is the superb back/software integration and seamless tethering.
The main attraction of Hassy as I see it is that they do have a modern body with very good focus, and fast flash sync across the lens range.
Nice backs from Phase, nice bodies from Hassy - that has been the situation for 10 years, I don't see it changing.
It's up to you to decide which features you need most.

Edmund

If only there was SOME WAY to use a Phase back on a Hasselblad body!
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2015, 04:45:14 am »

Just to confirm the state of the market I alluded to Canon just posted Q1 2015 results:

Hi Chris,

That of course only shows one company's published numbers in isolation, also tricky for a single year. I wonder how the total market fared (eliminating point and shoot cameras if we want a clearer view on the advanced and professional users)?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Chris Livsey

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2015, 10:34:37 am »

Dear Bart

Indeed I simplified as these are DSLRs  ;)
However this is a trend continuing from the last 12 months and Canon is the market leader, Nikon are similar.

Current SLRs: "They're like cell phones set to airplane mode with the WiFi turned off and no apps installed."
http://www.woot.com/plus/cameras-20th-century-cutting-edge?ref=cnt_wp_12

Joe Towner

« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2015, 02:44:49 pm »

I love that Hassy finally figured out they can sell their kits with the open body - the H5D-50c with the H5x body allows you to shoot with the Hassy 50c back, along with the IQ backs.  At the end of the day, 50mp with higher ISO + 80mp CCD gives just about every option (shy of hour long exposure, faster than 1/800th shutter or sync).

Hi, my name is Joe and I have GAS.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:58:33 pm by Joe Towner »
t: @PNWMF

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2015, 04:50:33 pm »

Yes Sir,

And I guess Phase One is happy to sell backs for the H5x.

Best regards
Erik

I love that Hassy finally figured out they can sell their kits with the open body - the H5D-50c with the H5x body allows you to shoot with the Hassy 50c back, along with the IQ backs.  At the end of the day, 50mp with higher ISO + 80mp CCD gives just about every option (shy of hour long exposure, faster than 1/800th shutter or sync).

Erik Kaffehr

NickT

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2015, 04:58:40 pm »

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with True Focus, how long have you been using it? Which lenses are you using it with?

Thanks in advance
Nick-T

ciccio

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2015, 05:36:29 pm »

;D so we will never see a new phase one body just a cmos fullframe iq370.best.

eronald

« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2015, 08:28:49 pm »

Hassy have gone open again?  That is GREAT NEWS! However a question: Can a Hassy user mount an old Hassy back on that H5x? In other words can a Hassy back user upgrade his body without buying a new back?

Edmund

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up