Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: So where is the new Phase One body  (Read 53839 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
So where is the new Phase One body
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:02:30 pm »

I do wonder, Doug and Steve have told us so often now that there is a new Phase body for the "open" Phase One system just around the corner and so we billionaires should refrain from buying  Inferior Pentax or Hopeless Hassy. So where is this new Premium Phase body which is always "going to be released soon"?

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:42:32 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Paul Gessler

Re: So where is the new Phase One body
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:00:33 pm »

The Nikon "selfie stick" threw Phase One for a loop. Now they are postponing the release of the new body until they can engineer and release their own selfie stick to make their "ecosystem" more competitive with Nikon's. :D

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:13:06 pm »

I do wonder, Doug and Steve have told us so often now that there is a new Phase body for the "open" Phase One system just around the corner and so we billionaires should refrain from buying  Inferior Pentax or Hopeless Hassy. So where is this new Premium Phase body which is always "going to be released soon"?

Edmund

Hmm, Edmund, I can't speak for Doug, but for my part, that's quite a story you've invented that supposedly came out of my mouth. As one of our finest provocateurs, perhaps your sharp and funny little arrows are better aimed a bit more accurately?

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

eronald

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:19:24 pm »

Hmm, Edmund, I can't speak for Doug, but for my part, that's quite a story you've invented that supposedly came out of my mouth. As one of our finest provocateurs, perhaps your sharp and funny little arrows are better aimed a bit more accurately?

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Well Steve, coming from one of our most respected dealers, your denial surely carries more weight than my wholly invented or at least shamefully misattributed rumor :)
Clearly, as Mark Twain might have said, the rumors of such a new body have been greatly exaggerated ...

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:43:30 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 09:52:13 pm »

Well Steve, I am sure that your denial carries more weight than my wholly invented or at least shamefully misattributed rumor :)
Clearly, as Mark Twain might have said, the rumors of such a new body have been greatly exaggerated ...

Edmund

The delivery dates clearly remain elusive.

But Edmond, since it is just you and me here, and I know that I can trust you, I'm going to tell you everything I know, as long as you promise not to share it with anyone.

I have been told that the                   is indeed          . And delivery dates, while           , are apparently                        .

In the meantime, there is this wonderful news about the Phase One Camera:

https://captureintegration.com/phaseonecamera

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:04:02 am »

Does this go along with the other thread about the new S Leica being delayed until 2nd Quarter this year when it was originally announced it was going to be released 2nd Quarter this year? LOL

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=99055.0
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 03:02:53 am »

Looks like Edmund forgot his meds again...
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

eronald

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:41 am »

Looks like Edmund forgot his meds again...

Hello Synn,

Long time no see!

I heard you were close with Phase, and doing a test of the new body and the IQ270 back with the coming larger Sony sensor.

How d'you like the camera body? Does the new contrast-detetction touch-screen-focus system work well? Is it compatible with the IQ250 back?

Is the new sensor improved or is it the same as the IQ250, just larger?

Inquiring minds and rumormongers want to know!

Edmund

Reference: Phase forum post - Can the DF+ with the IQ250 do Live View auto focus?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:39:43 am by eronald »

sgilbert

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 09:38:28 am »

The point of this thread is what? 

To show how really smart and amusing eronald is?

Are you planning to buy a Phase camera?  Is your Phase back just sitting there with no good use?  Do you own a camera at all?

(I'm assuming that all the shorter replies I might have chosen would violate some forum rule or other.)

Ken R

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:22 am »

Are you planning to buy a Phase camera?  Is your Phase back just sitting there with no good use?  Do you own a camera at all?

(I'm assuming that all the shorter replies I might have chosen would violate some forum rule or other.)

He needs some attention I guess.

Kidding aside yes, quite a few people are waiting for the new PhaseOne Body to come out. Although that number is less and less as months go by. The H4x and H5x bodies are very good and Phase backs work great with them so no rush.  ;D

Manoli

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:06:04 am »

As J.P. Morgan said: ' If you need to ask the price, you can't afford it ' ~)

Kolor-Pikker

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 10:11:41 am »

What is the point of anything? [/philosophy]

Please identify your sources when attempting to state facts.

Are you planning to buy a Phase camera?
He probably owns a Phase camera and is troubled by how terrible it is.

Is your Phase back just sitting there with no good use?
Assuming it's on a tech cam, he's getting good use out of it.

Do you own a camera at all?
One doesn't need to own a camera to talk about cameras, nor engage in actual photography if they do.

nope

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 10:31:18 am »

Hello Synn,

Long time no see!

I heard you were close with Phase, and doing a test of the new body and the IQ270 back with the coming larger Sony sensor.

How d'you like the camera body? Does the new contrast-detetction touch-screen-focus system work well? Is it compatible with the IQ250 back?

Is the new sensor improved or is it the same as the IQ250, just larger?

Inquiring minds and rumormongers want to know!

Edmund

Reference: Phase forum post - Can the DF+ with the IQ250 do Live View auto focus?

lol.

Good to see that the world renouned MF hater and D800 lover FredBGG is still alive and kicking on the internet, on the Phase forum of all places.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 10:44:30 am »

He probably owns a Phase camera and is troubled by how terrible it is.

He owned one for about 5 minutes.
That is the extent of MF related experience for one of the most active posters in the MF sub forum.

Something something about empty vessels and loud noises.

eronald

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 11:10:43 am »

Something something about empty vessels and loud noises.

Synn,

Is this a categorical denial of the points above? No new body, no new larger-sensor back, it's not called IQ270, there is no contrast detect, no touch-focus or you just don't like it?

Edmund

PS. If you want to call someone names, at least do it gracefully. Your nutshell characterisation of Fred, "world renouned MF hater and D800 lover" is nice, but " renowned MF hater, D800 lover and fashion shooter" would have been so much better :)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:35:31 am by eronald »

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 12:57:28 pm »

I liked it a lot, but I told Phase that I am holding out for the groundbreaking open source camera that you were working on since, I dunno... A year ago?

mi-fu

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 01:56:57 pm »

Jokes aside, the lack of a newly overhauled body is the main reason why I still stay away from Phase.

I think Phase One has been working too slow on this.

NickT

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 05:15:26 pm »

I certainly hope that Phase can come out with a completely new body and I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can do it. I have an idea what it cost to create the H platform and the numbers are pretty eye-watering, hard to see an ROI in this market.

Nick-T

eronald

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 05:35:22 pm »

I certainly hope that Phase can come out with a completely new body and I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can do it. I have an idea what it cost to create the H platform and the numbers are pretty eye-watering, hard to see an ROI in this market.

Nick-T

Did you know that Waiting for Godot was voted "the most significant English language play of the 20th century ? I walked out after the first act.

If I were feeling ironic, rather than just being moronic, I would forecast that Phase is more likely to use their institutional and military cashflow to replay the knifing of the Sinar/Leaf baby, and buy Hassy and retire the H series, than they are of ever selling a decent dSLR-type camera.

Taking pictures is part of Hassy's DNA, but the practice of taking the shot is simply *not* part of Phase One's DNA. Phase is a back company.

Taking the shot *is* part of Pentax's heritage which is why they've come back from nowhere. The same with Leica.

In the same way, Phase are stellar at computer image processing, and out-process Adobe which is a multi-billion dollar corporation: Adobe is culturally incapable of sophisticated single-image Raw color and tone curve management, although they are really good in workflow organisation and retouching software.

My analysis of Phase One's strengths is confirmed every time I see a photographer on this forum mount his extraordinary Phase back on a Hassy, tether and convert with Phase One's superb C1 software, and retouch with Photoshop. And my analysis of Phase One's weakness and priorities is confirmed every year as  the "new" Phase body that can focus perfectly fails to appear.  :)

But I do think in the end we will get a very nice "no-mirror" lensbox from Phase, which will do fast on-sensor AF, and use the leaf-shutter lenses for flash sync when electronic shutter is not appropriate. This sort of computer-driven object is in Phase's DNA.

My advice: Whatever the camera, buy the center-shutter lenses, they're the ones which will keep their value best. And if Godot's dSLR does not drop soon, then I'd predict that the next Phase body will already be mirrorless. Leica, Hassy and Pentax are headed that way too now that they have liveview sensors, but they're in less of a hurry because their current bodies are pretty good. And they're in less of a hurry because cameras, not backs, are what they make.

Edmund

PS. It is possible to do very fast AF with a liveview sensor with no phase-contrast pixels, provided one characterises the lenses. This is the "depth from defocus" method which is used by the Panasonic GH4. According to Panasonic, the $1K GH4 with no dedicated focus sensors is beaten  in focus speed only by the ... Nikon D4s. A second place which our japanese friends at Panasonic accept with a humble smile :)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:16:09 pm by eronald »

Theodoros

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 05:55:12 pm »

I believe that new stand alone MF camera body sales are so low, that no maker will invest in other than improving bits of it...  Maybe the major mount for future Phamiya backs will be the Hasselblad H mount with... C645 being second and M645 third...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up