Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56   Go Down

Author Topic: Fun with medium format images  (Read 307411 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Fun with medium format images
« Reply #260 on: November 29, 2015, 10:23:29 am »

Thanks,

I will put it on my web site!

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik, I have admired your photography from afar. I think that the autumn shot that you have posted here is gorgeous -- luscious yellow/oranges and the deep reddish-brown seen in some Scandinavian rural areas and the faded reds and pinks of the smaller trees. The reflection adds depth to the vision you have captured. Might I suggest that it is worthy of posting on your website.

Kind regards,

Sean
Erik Kaffehr

Chris Livsey

« Reply #261 on: April 03, 2016, 05:33:27 am »

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

No one having fun these days?

Deliberately underexposed about two stops then processed in Capture One V9 using the Demo of Digital Transitions new Style Pack for C1:
DT BW 12, Kitchen Sink.
P45+ H1 80mm HC

Birch at sunset
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:39:59 am by Chris Livsey »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #262 on: April 03, 2016, 08:00:26 am »

simple, nice. may I be allowed to post some crops for discussion ?

Edmund

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

No one having fun these days?

Deliberately underexposed about two stops then processed in Capture One V9 using the Demo of Digital Transitions new Style Pack for C1:
DT BW 12, Kitchen Sink.
P45+ H1 80mm HC

Birch at sunset
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Chris Livsey

« Reply #263 on: April 03, 2016, 08:34:30 am »

simple, nice. may I be allowed to post some crops for discussion ?

Edmund

Of course Edmund, you know I'm not precious about my shots, especially only being an amateur  ;)

Would it be useful to see the original before the style applied, it was full frame as presented:

The original posted shot is downloadable from Flickr (11MB)
2706x3608
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:53:28 am by Chris Livsey »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #264 on: April 03, 2016, 12:06:36 pm »

Not sure where to post this, but thought it would be best here. 

Due to the recent spat about pros vs. amateurs and creative briefs, I wanted to share a project I am currently planning, which is a personal project but I am approaching in a professional manner.  It will intertwine interiors, beverage and lifestyle, and, hopefully, provide some continuity in my portfolio between my beverage & architectural work. 

In the most primitive form, the creative brief is:
Create a series of three, maybe four, location images focusing on a liquor (probably a Tequila) with two models (a male and a female) becoming flirtatious over drinks.  These images need to be in a bar and lit in a moody cinema-graphic fashion.   

And so the process began. 

One evening I took a walk around Philadelphia to scout out locations.  After a while I spotted the perfect restaurant, a nice dark French brasserie in a corner building with a terrace on both sides.  The bar was situated near the terrace and had porch doors right of it.  The interior was relatively large, it was not overcrowded with tables, and would provide plenty of room to work.  This was the perfect location. 

So a couple days later I walked in with my portfolio, offered them a free day of photography if they allowed me to use their location.  They agreed, and, surprisingly, will give me access at night. 

Yesterday I met with the restaurant again to discuss what they want, what I want, and took a couple scouting images. 

The images that will be created for (my part of) this project are:
1.  A wide vertical image of the right side of the bar with the product on the bar and two models standing at the side.  I will probably have the women be the aggressor, since a male aggressor always looks hypersexual.  The image below is an approx. angle, but the final will be closer, cropping out the chandelier and showing more of outside.
2.  An image looking over the bar towards the terrace with the product on the bar and the models outside.  Product will be in focus, the exterior will not.
3.  An image captured from almost opposite the product shot, showing the models walking out onto the terrace.  This will be much more lifestyle image, and I will capture a few “wider” verticals and “tighter” horizontals. 

The first two will be shot with my technical camera and Rodie 55mm.  The last will be shot with the DF+, switching between an 80mm & 120mm.  I also already have the lighting for each image mapped out, but I’ll save that description for after the images are created. 

Now that I have access and a refined brief, tomorrow will be spent getting all the gears in motion.  Hope to shoot in two or three weeks; should be fun! 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Joe Towner

« Reply #265 on: April 03, 2016, 04:45:41 pm »

Sunset over Mt Rainier, with Seattle and the Puget Sound off to the right with Mt St Helens peaking up over the left shoulder.  420MP and I think I need to order a slightly smaller roll of paper, as I don't want to waste the 53"/63" wide stuff and make one that's 31' long without a place to hang it.  Still cleaning up dust in the snow, though I got all the dust in the sky.  Getting down on my own sucked - the lifts stopped running 3.5h before the shot, and as it's spring skiing now, I had nothing but chunky ice all the way down.

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/185724

t: @PNWMF

Joe Towner

« Reply #266 on: April 03, 2016, 05:02:22 pm »

I'm forcing myself to book 4-5 hours on prints this week - here's one from the Ken/Don CI fun.  A 4 shot stitch, with 3 filters hanging in front of the lens!  H4D-50

Christoph B.

« Reply #267 on: April 03, 2016, 05:11:28 pm »

I'm forcing myself to book 4-5 hours on prints this week - here's one from the Ken/Don CI fun.  A 4 shot stitch, with 3 filters hanging in front of the lens!  H4D-50

Beautiful!!

I hope you don't mind if I ask you what kind of filters you used - if you don't want to answer that's perfectly fine of course!

eronald

« Reply #268 on: April 03, 2016, 07:04:24 pm »

Joe,

Seeing this develop step by step is fascinating.

Thank you.

Edmund

Not sure where to post this, but thought it would be best here. 

Due to the recent spat about pros vs. amateurs and creative briefs, I wanted to share a project I am currently planning, which is a personal project but I am approaching in a professional manner.  It will intertwine interiors, beverage and lifestyle, and, hopefully, provide some continuity in my portfolio between my beverage & architectural work. 

In the most primitive form, the creative brief is:
Create a series of three, maybe four, location images focusing on a liquor (probably a Tequila) with two models (a male and a female) becoming flirtatious over drinks.  These images need to be in a bar and lit in a moody cinema-graphic fashion.   

And so the process began. 

One evening I took a walk around Philadelphia to scout out locations.  After a while I spotted the perfect restaurant, a nice dark French brasserie in a corner building with a terrace on both sides.  The bar was situated near the terrace and had porch doors right of it.  The interior was relatively large, it was not overcrowded with tables, and would provide plenty of room to work.  This was the perfect location. 

So a couple days later I walked in with my portfolio, offered them a free day of photography if they allowed me to use their location.  They agreed, and, surprisingly, will give me access at night. 

Yesterday I met with the restaurant again to discuss what they want, what I want, and took a couple scouting images. 

The images that will be created for (my part of) this project are:
1.  A wide vertical image of the right side of the bar with the product on the bar and two models standing at the side.  I will probably have the women be the aggressor, since a male aggressor always looks hypersexual.  The image below is an approx. angle, but the final will be closer, cropping out the chandelier and showing more of outside.
2.  An image looking over the bar towards the terrace with the product on the bar and the models outside.  Product will be in focus, the exterior will not.
3.  An image captured from almost opposite the product shot, showing the models walking out onto the terrace.  This will be much more lifestyle image, and I will capture a few “wider” verticals and “tighter” horizontals. 

The first two will be shot with my technical camera and Rodie 55mm.  The last will be shot with the DF+, switching between an 80mm & 120mm.  I also already have the lighting for each image mapped out, but I’ll save that description for after the images are created. 

Now that I have access and a refined brief, tomorrow will be spent getting all the gears in motion.  Hope to shoot in two or three weeks; should be fun!
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #269 on: April 03, 2016, 10:28:26 pm »

Of course Edmund, you know I'm not precious about my shots, especially only being an amateur  ;)

Would it be useful to see the original before the style applied, it was full frame as presented:

The original posted shot is downloadable from Flickr (11MB)
2706x3608

I love sticks and trees and the infinite complexity of nature, there is something you have captured here that is not typically appreciated. I like it.

Joe Towner

« Reply #270 on: April 03, 2016, 11:52:02 pm »

Beautiful!!

I hope you don't mind if I ask you what kind of filters you used - if you don't want to answer that's perfectly fine of course!

Where's the fun in that?  It's a 2-stop soft Grad ND from Lee, a 2-stop Reverse ND from Formatt Hitech and a 4x4 glass CPL from Schneider.  It's a 4 shot wide panorama.  Here's a shot of the camera when doing it upright.  With the HCD 35-90 at 70mm.

Christoph B.

« Reply #271 on: April 04, 2016, 01:35:43 am »

Where's the fun in that?  It's a 2-stop soft Grad ND from Lee, a 2-stop Reverse ND from Formatt Hitech and a 4x4 glass CPL from Schneider.  It's a 4 shot wide panorama.  Here's a shot of the camera when doing it upright.  With the HCD 35-90 at 70mm.

Thank you! :)

Chris Livsey

« Reply #272 on: April 04, 2016, 05:37:07 am »

I love sticks and trees and the infinite complexity of nature, there is something you have captured here that is not typically appreciated. I like it.

Thank you, appreciated.

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #273 on: April 04, 2016, 07:30:39 am »

Joe,

Seeing this develop step by step is fascinating.

Thank you.

Edmund

I agree!  Joe, looking forward to seeing and hearing how this progresses...

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #274 on: April 04, 2016, 12:18:20 pm »

I thought this one was fun. It didn't look like this to the naked eye because the foam was in motion, swirling in the current so I was surprised to see it when going through the photos later. 2s exposure.
P645D, FA 45-85
IMGP2528-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr
-MattB

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #275 on: April 06, 2016, 02:31:17 pm »

Hi,

That was fun!

Best regards
Erik

I thought this one was fun. It didn't look like this to the naked eye because the foam was in motion, swirling in the current so I was surprised to see it when going through the photos later. 2s exposure.
P645D, FA 45-85
Erik Kaffehr

Harold Clark

« Reply #276 on: April 06, 2016, 04:47:20 pm »

P645D, FA 45-85

It looks like a face, Poseidon surfacing?

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #277 on: April 06, 2016, 04:55:30 pm »

It looks like a face, Poseidon surfacing?

Right or old man of the river or something along those lines. It startled me when I first saw the photo.
-MattB

Joe Towner

« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2016, 07:07:25 pm »

Right or old man of the river or something along those lines. It startled me when I first saw the photo.
It's amazing how a long exposure will take something and give it a different character.

eronald

« Reply #279 on: April 10, 2016, 08:18:09 pm »

After 15 years of digital I finally figured out how to postprocess speculars.

1Ds3, 85/1.2 quick snapshot.

BTW, MattBurt's image is out of this world.

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:27:15 pm by eronald »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56   Go Up