Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Photokina - Canon abandons the pros  (Read 33276 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Photokina - Canon abandons the pros
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2014, 12:31:32 pm »

Exictement. Good for Canon. At least they see a need to respond. LONG OVER DUE. 

I am sure Photo Expo will be interesting indeed. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

bcooter

« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2014, 05:29:31 pm »

Hell, no!

It ain't the camera as long as the camera doesn't get in the way.

"When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks."

IMO

BC

BJL

Photokina - Canon abandons some small fraction of the pros; keeps most of them
« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2014, 07:16:25 pm »

An excellent put down of all the trash talk about "Great photographers can make great images with a pinhole camera make from an old shoe" vs "brand X is doomed because its cameras have 0.3% less foozbits".  Most of us are not going to abandon a system or revile it, so long as it keeps giving us cameras and lenses that are far enough ahead of our skills and needs that it does not hamper our results.  I would say that currently, whatever technical disadvantages Canon's sensors have compared to the best alternatives are not getting in the way of what most professional photographers are trying to do with their gear, and even less so for most amateurs.

Still, about that Canon "impossible" teaser: a lot of people will be very disappointed if it is some amazing new photocopier.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:17:59 pm by BJL »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2014, 07:24:00 pm »

... "When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks."...

Luckily, there is hardly the sameness of thought in this thread  ;)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2014, 07:55:52 pm »

"When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks."

IMO

BC

All these SLRs are the same, basically. And guess what? The kids seem to be using cellphones and gopros.

I don't think we should lose more time over discussing whether camera X or Y is now perfect for sports photographers or war photographers or divers or Gursky.  I don't think most pros would have problems shooting a football match with a Canon, it's perfectly easy to get soldiers to kill you in a war zone, and I am sure even James would be happy to descend to the indignity of using a Canon rather than a Leica  to immortalize the marriage of Kate Moss.

This discussion is irrelevant. I hope Canon makes me some nice lifestyle recording devices rather than this monotonous succession of SLRS.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:57:49 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Ray

« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2014, 08:03:46 pm »

This reminds me of the reviews explaining why the newest Intel processor PC is revolutionary.
I like eating spaghetti as much as the next guy, but more tomato sauce is just more sauce, not better sauce.
Edmund

Edmund,
The improvements sound more fundamental to me than more tomato sauce. I would describe them as the equivalent of 'whole grain' spaghetti with 3x the quantity of fibre.  ;)

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2014, 08:12:24 pm »

I use a D800 and a Credo and am aware of and appreciate the benefits of having a bajillion stops of dynamic range, but I can't help but wonder if Bruce Percy ever gave up velvia because of the (as per measurbating standards) abysmally low DR it has.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2014, 08:13:30 pm »

Edmund,
The improvements sound more fundamental to me than more tomato sauce. I would describe them as the equivalent of 'whole grain' spaghetti with 3x the quantity of fibre.  ;)
Ray,

I hear Bill Gates is helping fund a thinner condom. Now, this is a man who truly appreciates the value of incremental improvement ;)

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:20:07 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

bcooter

« Reply #188 on: October 06, 2014, 09:42:46 pm »

The kids seem to be using cellphones and gopros.

I promise this will my last response to this silly shit, but Edmund how many young photographers do you hire or even know?

Most don't own go pros, don't desire to only learn or use a dslr and actually have great hope and aspirations for a career in professional image making.

In fact most I know own a film camera and try to use it as much as possible and can afford.

You show tremendous disrespect to the beginning and accomplished professionals with your thought that photography is a democratic process (it's not)  and anyone can do it well as long as they all use a device that fits in their back pocket.

I hate to break this to you but dumbing down the industry isn't going to happen.   Major movies will not be shot with a go pro, or a 5d2 as a principle camera.

Major advertising campaigns will not be produced with a mobile phone at least not for another decade, unless your shooting a demo for Samsung or Apple.

There is nothing wrong with smaller devices, they have a place, some can be fun, but until you've graded thousands of hours of footage from all forms and sizes of devices, worked 10's of thousands still images in post production and participated in hundreds of creative briefs, most of your hypothesis  is just random speculation.  To what end I don't have a clue.

I think you should try a condom forum.  That's probably more interesting.

IMO

BC

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2014, 09:48:55 pm »

I promise this will my last response to this silly shit, but Edmund how many young photographers do you hire or even know?

Most don't own go pros, don't desire to only learn or use a dslr and actually have great hope and aspirations for a career in professional image making.

In fact most I know own a film camera and try to use it as much as possible and can afford.

You show tremendous disrespect to the beginning and accomplished professionals with your thought that photography is a democratic process (it's not)  and anyone can do it well as long as they all use a device that fits in their back pocket.

I hate to break this to you but dumbing down the industry isn't going to happen.   Major movies will not be shot with a go pro, or a 5d2 as a principle camera.

Major advertising campaigns will not be produced with a mobile phone at least not for another decade, unless your shooting a demo for Samsung or Apple.

There is nothing wrong with smaller devices, they have a place, some can be fun, but until you've graded thousands of hours of footage from all forms and sizes of devices, worked 10's of thousands still images in post production and participated in hundreds of creative briefs, most of your hypothesis  is just random speculation.  To what end I don't have a clue.

I think you should try a condom forum.  That's probably more interesting.

IMO

BC

+1

I wish this post would get stickied on top of every forum.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2014, 12:08:42 am »

I hear Bill Gates is helping fund a thinner condom. Now, this is a man who truly appreciates the value of incremental improvement.

Not to mention enormous savings in raw materials, transportation costs, and garbage disposal.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2014, 05:14:50 am »

Exictement. Good for Canon. At least they see a need to respond. LONG OVER DUE. 

I am sure Photo Expo will be interesting indeed. 

It seems that the countdown ends on Oct 7th. We will know tomorrow what this was about. Crossing fingers. ;)

What's the best F mount -> EOS adapter these days (mounting F mount lenses on an EOS body)?

Cheers,
Bernard

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2014, 05:18:24 am »

Novoflex.

Mr. Rib

« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2014, 06:04:27 am »

(...)

(...)
I hate to break this to you but dumbing down the industry isn't going to happen.  

I can confirm the same holds in Eastern Europe (I imagine it's the same case in western parts as well). I dont know about USA but a lot of these guys shoot LF film as well here, if they can afford the proccessing. To learn, to be respectful not only towards the art, but also towards the craft. Also all Fine Art Academies here force students to go through two years of film shooting and dark room (and we're talking about graphic design faculty students, not photography/media).
There are kids of course who run around with a 5dMK2 and think that's what makes them professional, they even get commisions, but not the type of commisions that would allow them to make a living out of photography / plan the future, so, fortunately, these people are filtered out in the proccess.
I really don't like the notion that "nowadays everyone can be a photographer". It's the same when it comes to graphic design which is my main field of interest these days... But these people won't make it to the clients that matter (can I get a hallelujah)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2014, 06:10:08 am »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2014, 09:30:12 am »

It seems that the countdown ends on Oct 7th. We will know tomorrow what this was about. Crossing fingers. ;)

What's the best F mount -> EOS adapter these days (mounting F mount lenses on an EOS body)?

Cheers,
Bernard

Remember you lose infinity focus with F to EOS with any mount adapter as focal flange distance is the same between the two mounts.

You can also have the actual mount changed on the lens. In the US S K Grimes used to do this not sure if they still offer it.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #196 on: October 07, 2014, 09:37:41 am »

Hi Paul, the eos mount has a shorter flange distance than the f mount, so infinity is possible. F to K and A mounts will lose infinity.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #197 on: October 07, 2014, 11:52:54 am »

Hello Synn

I got my mounts mixed up. I was thinking about the older Canon FD mount.

Thanks

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2014, 12:31:39 pm »

What a big snooze. Just a marketing website it seems. No dynamic announcements. Just flashy coding.

I switched to Canon in 1980. I'm VERY heavily invested in gear and no way I'm going to switch (two bodies and almost all "L" glass: 17-40/f4, 24-70/f2.8, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 100/f2, 135/f2, 70-200/2.8, 300/2.8). I just wish they would give me something to replace my aging 1Ds Mark III. I adore my 1Dx. One of the best cameras Canon has produced, even though it took almost a year to actually buy after it was actually introduced. But I have a guy who wants to buy my 1Ds3, and I'm stupid not to sell at this point, though I have nothing I really want to replace it with. Guess I'll just rent a backup for a while, as I need it, in hope of something happening from Canon. And hear I thought Canon's "big announcement" was going to be... well, a BIG announcement.

NancyP

« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2014, 01:58:00 pm »

I have a Fotodiox Pro F mount to EOS adapter, it's less expensive ($80.00) than the Novoflex, and comes in chipped ($10.00 extra) and chip-less versions. It fits snugly, has a leaf spring in it that ensures proper fit. I had a cheaper adapter that had very loose fit (Bower). So, if you are of the mind to buy one adapter per lens, the Fotodiox Pro (not plain "Fotodiox" $20.00 version) would be one solution. I imagine that Novoflex is considerably nicer.
http://www.fotodioxpro.com/nikon-f-lens-to-canon-eos-camera-fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter.html
http://www.fotodioxpro.com/nikon-f-lens-to-canon-eos-with-dandelion-focus-confirmation-chip-fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter.html
Note: these two cannot be used with Nikon G series lenses, but are strictly for older lenses with aperture rings.
I enjoy using old all-manual lenses on the 6D: 105mm f/2.5, 50mm f/1.2, 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up