Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 7D Mark II announced  (Read 27357 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Canon 7D Mark II announced
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2014, 09:03:27 pm »

Iz it to much two ask datt peepile spels rite and use krecht grammer?

Is it too much to ask that people exhibit a sense of decorum and proper forum etiquette, refrain from outlandish, patronizing and offensive put-downs? For some members (wink, wink), it apparently is ;)

melchiorpavone

« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2014, 09:03:43 pm »

Actually, I disagree with your comical signs, Slobo.

If someone can't put their words together correctly, it's highly unlikely that they've put their thoughts together correctly either.

What I said above is 100% correct: Bernard needs to get over his obsession with sensors.

It is quite hypocritical of Bernard to speak only of the 7D II's sensor as if that's all there is to the camera.
It is the height of hypocrisy for him to speak about "the best" sensor, while he himself doesn't own it.
He needs to be fully-aware of this hypocrisy.
He needs to realize he will never take a single image as well with his D810 as he could have with a Hassy. Never.

Thus, in the end, Bernard should either go to MF "for the best sensor" ... or ... he should STFU about sensors and realize that other things are important also.

In fact, that is why the DSLR market is blooming, while the MF market is in peril, it's not all about the sensor.

There really is such a thing as "close enough" but with far more capabilities in other areas.

It's about the versatility, price points, and which overall system fits your particular needs, of which lens selection is perhaps the most critical consideration.

Cheers,

I agree with you. Slobo really has no clue.

melchiorpavone

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2014, 09:05:09 pm »

Is it too much to ask that people exhibit a sense of decorum and proper forum etiquette, refrain from outlandish, patronizing and offensive put-downs? For some members (wink, wink), it apparently is ;)

As I mentioned before, almost all of your posts are mistaken. It gets tiring constantly having to correct you about every aspect of photography.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/marktwain109624.html
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:07:13 pm by melchiorpavone »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2014, 09:07:22 pm »

Actually, I disagree with your comical signs, Slobo.

If someone can't put their words together correctly, it's highly unlikely that they've put their thoughts together correctly either.

Many members of this forum are not native English speakers, Bernard and myself included. Correcting their grammar in a scolding fashion is simply poor taste, not gentleman-like. Coincidentally, Gentleman Jack is one of my favorites  ;)

P.S. Not to mention spelling mistakes that happen when typing fast
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:09:42 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

NancyP

« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2014, 09:24:18 pm »

I am tfypoimftc gtjhiu8 wotjh m y nmtoes. (translation: I am "typing this with my toes"). Hey, I didn't use "ALL CAPS"! More images, less crankiness, please.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2014, 09:27:50 pm »

Jack,

You are really something man! ;)

That's a conversation btwn you are yourself. I haven't said anything you say I have said nor do I think that.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2014, 09:34:51 pm »

I guess you are not familiar with smartphones keyboards... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2014, 01:00:35 am »

The D8xx have tested as the best performing sensors over at dxo. Better than the MF sensors. But now I guess it's a MF sensor in the lead, I haven't looked this year I think. It is coincidentally also made by Sony. (if my assumption is even accurate, hah).

It is a well known fact that the smaller sensors are way ahead with more advanced designs. The fastest development has been mobile lately. MF usually lagging far behind. They do make up for it in size tho.

Do we even know that the sensor in the 7d II is new? Specs similar to the 70d right? Maybe we should wait and see.

I don't think DSLR sales are up. And I do believe MF is growing still.

So basically I disagree with everything John has said.

That says nothing about the 7D mark II. I'm sure it's a fine upgrade for Canon shooters.

BernardLanguillier

Re:
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2014, 01:41:13 am »

That says nothing about the 7D mark II. I'm sure it's a fine upgrade for Canon shooters.

Exactly. The 7DII is clearly the best APS-C non mirrorless DSLR and a very tempting proposal for Canon shooters coming from the aging 7D. It is miles ahead of anything Nikon has to offer to their APS-C lens owners.

I can agree with that part.

Cheers,
Bernard

telyt

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2014, 09:53:40 am »

Iz it to much two ask datt peepile spels rite and use krecht grammer?

First Michael this forum is not restricted to people for whom English is their first language and those who have bothered to learn enough English as a second or third language to communicate ANYTHING to those of us who cannot or will not learn another language have earned my respect and second Michael is it too much to ask that we respect the opinions and experience of others instead of posting "I'm right and you're wrong"?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:00:38 am by wildlightphoto »

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
Re:
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2014, 10:14:56 am »

So basically I disagree with everything John has said.

And I agree with everything I said ... lol

Good morning!

John Koerner

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2014, 10:15:30 am »

Many members of this forum are not native English speakers, Bernard and myself included. Correcting their grammar in a scolding fashion is simply poor taste, not gentleman-like. Coincidentally, Gentleman Jack is one of my favorites  ;)
P.S. Not to mention spelling mistakes that happen when typing fast

Touché

John Koerner

« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2014, 10:35:31 am »

Jack,
You are really something man! ;)
That's a conversation btwn you are yourself. I haven't said anything you say I have said nor do I think that.
Cheers,
Bernard

Then what do you think, Bernard?

You are riding me constantly about what camera I might choose this December

If it was simply a matter of sensor choice, I would get the D810, without a second thought.
If my preferred lens choices were a wide-angle zoom, and/or fast prime, I would also choose the D810.

But I am a macro and wildlife shooter. And Canon has by far the more versatile lens portfolio for my kind of shooting.

I am resisting my impulse to "keep up with the Jonses," as far as sensor technology goes, when I consider the fact that I would be giving up too much in the versatility of what I can do with Canon.

Their sensors might not be at the top of the heap, but they're still good enough to produce award-winning images in anything I want to do ... and with the combination of their lens portfolio, the whole system empowers me to be fully-capable of producing everything in an image I need, more conveniently than if I switch to Nikon. So, the more I think about it, the more the tradeoff and "gain in resolution" by going to the D810 isn't worth the loss of convenience and overall versatility of what I have available in Canon's lens portfolio.

I know you're excited for me to experience the exhilaration of owning the D810, lol, and maybe I will come December ... but in the end I am realizing I would feel a loss, not a a gain ... a loss of flexibility and capability that wasn't worth a few extra notches of resolution.

Jack

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2014, 10:41:14 am »

Slobo, the only 2 things the 7D II doesn't have is "the best sensor in the world" ... and wifi ...

But it does have an all-new sensor (that hasn't even been reviewed yet) ...

Further, it has a full combo of more solid construction, fine image quality, better shutter life, and greater lens compatibility than any other camera (under $4,000) ... and everything else about it (speed, functional controls, etc.) blows every other camera out of the water ... up to and including $6-$7,000 cameras.

For $1,799.

In real-world usage, overall it's the best camera value out there.

No one camera can do everything, but this one comes the closest, for the least money.

Watch and see.

Hey Jack - I have seldom read anyone getting so worked up over a new camera before! ;D  I would just point out that of course the serious flaws are that 1. It's not full frame, 2. It's not a Leica and 3. it will not give you a neck rub after a long hard shoot. (that was not meant to be rude by the way).  And the sad thing is that in 12 months it will be so yesterday.  Sigh, true of all out lovely trinkets.

Jim

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2014, 11:15:07 am »

Hey Jack - I have seldom read anyone getting so worked up over a new camera before!...

New!? More like a frozen leftover, sitting in a freezer the last five years, just re-discovered, thawed, and sprinkled with some freshly grated parmesan ;D

John Koerner

« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2014, 11:30:15 am »

Hey Jack - I have seldom read anyone getting so worked up over a new camera before! ;D

I have never seen anyone with a gadfly chasing someone else over their purchase decisions before, as Bernard does mine, either

I am actually not all that worked up, I am more "debating the pros/cons out loud" than anything else.

Bernard's default position, of course, is "the pros of the D810," so I take the other side ...

I would just point out that of course the serious flaws are that 1. It's not full frame, 2. It's not a Leica and 3. it will not give you a neck rub after a long hard shoot. (that was not meant to be rude by the way).

I didn't consider those! lol

And the sad thing is that in 12 months it will be so yesterday.  Sigh, true of all out lovely trinkets.
Jim

That is why it doesn't really matter.

I bought the 7D in 2009 I believe. It is time for an upgrade, and the 7D II is just the most sensible choice for me overall.

I have learned to take better macro images than most with my 7D. It's not just about the sensor, it's about composition, light, and background. I have seen people post macro shots with the D810 that I would have thrown away. Most of the people whose macro images I still aspire to duplicate shoot Canon. One of the very best anywhere shoots Pentax. Very few actually shoot Nikon. However, I have seen a few D800 images that were awesome. Ultimately, ALL cameras nowadays are capable of taking superb macro images if the person behind them knows what he's doing. One of the best shooters out there still uses a Canon 40D, but his tireless treks in tropical rainforests, his knowledge of wildlife in general, and his mastery of composition & light, are all superb.

When I go beyond 1:1 in macro efforts, Canon has the most versatile solution of anyone. And I have used that lens a lot.

Ultimately, it's all about the lenses for me, as well as comfort with the system.

As a macro shooter primarily, I gain in every way by staying with the upgraded 7D II compared to the 7D.

But if I go to the D810, I gain in resolution/DR, but I lose across the board in everything else.

Jack

allegretto

« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2014, 11:47:18 am »

With all the buzz I had to go over and read about the "Mighty NX-1". The fastest, most focusing-est, densest pixeling-est phon- ummmm- camera ever offered by a refrigerator manufacturer..!

Wow

Can't wait for a metabones adaptor to let me use my EF lenses with that baby... John, your ego is screwed... I'm a Samsung guy thru and thru now. Canon bodies simply are not good enough...

I do have a question though... with 5000 PD focus sensors and 25000 CD focus sensors distributed around the image... how does it know which object you want to be in focus? Is there a scroll wheel? Seems as though there would be diminishing returns in such a system, but maybe there is some slick mechanism...?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2014, 11:58:05 am »

Hi,

Without responding to any specific posting, I would say that the Canon 7D Mark II is with all probability the best APS-C camera Canon ever made.

The original 7D was to my understanding an APS-C body oriented towards the fast shooting professional users with no need for full frame 135. That camera has now been updated, great news for Canon APS-C shooters.

There is nothing wrong with APS-C, especially not if shooting sports and wild life. With full frame a longer lens is needed. Also, the 7D offers a decent resolution and low noise at high ISO, what is what counts for many of it's users.

Best regard
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »

Hi,

Most AF systems have a means to select focusing point and they can also track that point.

I don't know about how the NX-1 handles in this respect. A large number of AF-points is an advantage. On traditional AF systems the AF sensors only cover the central part of the image, having the sensors distributed over a larger area is helpful.

Some new systems have eye-detection, so they can detect eyes, and with a good selection of AF points they can actually focus on that detail.

Best regards
Erik

With all the buzz I had to go over and read about the "Mighty NX-1". The fastest, most focusing-est, densest pixeling-est phon- ummmm- camera ever offered by a refrigerator manufacturer..!

Wow

Can't wait for a metabones adaptor to let me use my EF lenses with that baby... John, your ego is screwed... I'm a Samsung guy thru and thru now. Canon bodies simply are not good enough...

I do have a question though... with 5000 PD focus sensors and 25000 CD focus sensors distributed around the image... how does it know which object you want to be in focus? Is there a scroll wheel? Seems as though there would be diminishing returns in such a system, but maybe there is some slick mechanism...?
Erik Kaffehr

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2014, 12:27:34 pm »

... Some new systems have eye-detection...

Another reason to be pissed off with Canon. I already had that system in one of their film bodies and it worked very well. Canon pioneered it, then abandoned it. Now somebody else is going to claim is as "new."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up