Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1DX announced - March 2012 availability  (Read 104669 times)

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
Re: Canon EOS 1DX announced - March 2012 availability
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2011, 11:54:30 am »

The IQ180 has 5.17 um pixel pitch. That makes 32 megapixels on 135 format. The rumoured 36 MP is indeed high, but I would not consider it as crazy high. The pixel pitch will still be larger than on the typical APS-C camera.

I don't have enough technical knowledge but I would guess that medium format IQ advantage may be more due to CCD technology and focus on base ISO performance rather than they would have large pixels, because those new backs don't have... for the 135 format, video, live view and at least decent high ISO are so important features that it may affect base ISO performance.
The light sensitive area is further back for MF, this decreases the problem since it eases out the reception angle (makes the pixel reception angle narrower), in FF the light sensitive area is at the same dinstanse from the lens mount as in APS-c, this magnifies the problem at the extra area that FF covers. Its not a matter of area, it's a matter of "pixel light reception angle/capability), I hope this helps. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

Slater-K

« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2011, 12:20:39 pm »

I thought their press release was fairly unambiguous on this point.

"...the EOS-1D X will be a high-speed multimedia juggernaut replacing both the EOS-1Ds Mark III and EOS-1D Mark IV models in Canon’s lineup."

So the press release says that they've 'replaced' the 1ds ... i would say that they've axed it.

I think that they should have the balls to say so, rather than 'spin it' as a replacement.

As someone else said, this camera will probably be in production till 2016 - which means that their 'professional line' of cameras would top out at 21-18 MP for 9 years ... that's not what i call 21st century progress!  :o

torger

« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2011, 12:44:53 pm »

The light sensitive area is further back for MF, this decreases the problem since it eases out the reception angle (makes the pixel reception angle narrower), in FF the light sensitive area is at the same dinstanse from the lens mount as in APS-c, this magnifies the problem at the extra area that FF covers. Its not a matter of area, it's a matter of "pixel light reception angle/capability), I hope this helps. Regards, Theodoros.

Ah, you mean the lens colour cast sometimes seen in medium format technical cameras? :-)

There is nothing that stops you from making a lens with longer tube and retrofocus if you want to, that is to put the closest lens elements farther away than the bayonet mount, which actually can be seen in many lenses. Having a short flange focal distance just gives you more flexibility in lens design. One advantage with technical view cameras is exactly that they have no mirror so you can put lens elements closer to the sensor, which can be an advantage for wide angle lenses. Actually you could not fit a Rodenstock wide angle digital lens on a Canon - the back of the lens would collide with the mirror - despite retrofocus design of the lens.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:52:46 pm by torger »

DeeJay

« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2011, 12:48:06 pm »

So the press release says that they've 'replaced' the 1ds ... i would say that they've axed it.

I think that they should have the balls to say so, rather than 'spin it' as a replacement.

As someone else said, this camera will probably be in production till 2016 - which means that their 'professional line' of cameras would top out at 21-18 MP for 9 years ... that's not what i call 21st century progress!  :o

Well said, yes it seems that way indeed.

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2011, 01:09:11 pm »

Ah, you mean the lens colour cast sometimes seen in medium format technical cameras? :-)

There is nothing that stops you from making a lens with longer tube and retrofocus if you want to, that is to put the closest lens elements farther away than the bayonet mount, which actually can be seen in many lenses. Having a short flange focal distance just gives you more flexibility in lens design. One advantage with technical view cameras is exactly that they have no mirror so you can put lens elements closer to the sensor, which can be an advantage for wide angle lenses. Actually you could not fit a Rodenstock wide angle digital lens on a Canon - the back of the lens would collide with the mirror - despite retrofocus design of the lens.
Not bad, not bad at all! But this is way out of what most of the users are prepared to do and even more, ...what do you do with ultra wide angles and how do you cope with the reduced resolution that the larger image circle will produce? Since I know that you ...know the answer, I propose to leave this for a private conversation, otherwise we may ...close the thread and annoy others that are not prepared to follow. :) Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

LA30

« Reply #165 on: October 20, 2011, 04:34:36 pm »

Canon Nov 4-5th.

I just got an invitation to this even from a cinema equipment house that I shop at for video things.  I will attend friday (I live in LA). 

I am thinking that this unveiling won't be a still camera.

Ken

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2011, 06:00:28 pm »

Sorry, where exactly did I ask people to stop bitching? Where do I say if you are not happy...?

Sorry if I did put words in your mouth you had no intention to pronounce.

I've shot a P65+ for some time now and it blows anything dSLR I've tried out of the water.

What DSLRs have you tried?

I don't doubt the superiority of the P65+, IQ160 (same sensor) and IQ180, I doubt the value considering the price. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #167 on: October 20, 2011, 06:16:31 pm »

When DSLRs first came out, there was a definite uprising in technology in each successive generation ... to where each new season there was a marked gain in performance from the season before ... but now I think the "really noticeable" progress in image quality from DSLRs has reached a plateau ... so where does a camera company go from there?

Canon seems to be addressing a host of other real-world needs besides a bigger sensor, since image quality has pretty much become excellent across the board now.

Jack,

That is actually pretty funny.

There is nothing natural about reaching a plateau at 21mp and 11.5 stops of DR. If you had a broader view of the offerings out there from brands like Sony, Pentax and Nikon you would realize that the plateau is only real in the Canon world.

To my eyes, DR is the most important characteristics of a digital camera, and DR has never progressed as much in 10 years as in the last 3 years thanks to the D3x for FF, D7000/K7 for APS-C. How can that have remained un-noticed to you?

Cheers,
Bernard

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2011, 07:55:12 pm »

Jack,

There is nothing natural about reaching a plateau at 21mp and 11.5 stops of DR. If you had a broader view of the offerings out there from brands like Sony, Pentax and Nikon you would realize that the plateau is only real in the Canon world.

To my eyes, DR is the most important characteristics of a digital camera, and DR has never progressed as much in 10 years as in the last 3 years thanks to the D3x for FF, D7000/K7 for APS-C. How can that have remained un-noticed to you?

Cheers,
Bernard

A friend of mine used to say all the time: "Photography is all about DR", of course his reference is on the technical aspect, but isn't he right? I would even concentrate his saying to highlight DR only! The reason of my quote though is that you forgot to mention "The king of highlight DR", the DSLR called ...film(!) and of course the real reason of quoting is that you forgot the queen as well, ...her majesty Fuji S5pro! It looks though, that this new Dslr from Canon is gonna be different than before, I suspect its highlight DR is going to be close to reference by todays standards, its only a Hatch, but its oriented from the ...."Nikonish" approach to things, that this Canon looks to have. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

torger

« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2011, 04:48:23 am »

Jack,

Cheers,
Bernard

It is a bit risky to quote DxoMark dynamic range numbers since they say almost nothing about actually usable photographic dynamic range. The 13.9 stop range of D7000 just means that at 13.9 stop the noise level is as high as the signal level, which of course is unusable in a photograph. At 18% SNR the noise is higher for D7000 than for the 5Dmk2, which only has 11.5 total range. 18% SNR is available on DxoMark and I think it is a better indicator on which sensor that has the better "photographic useful dynamic range". But it is not safe to use that either -- the 5Dmk2 has pattern noise which is disturbing to the eye so in total D7000 probably has better useful dynamic range anyway. (Pattern noise is not measured by DxoMark but is something that subjectively reduces DR greatly.)

The typical useful range is 7 stops or so if I remember correctly, and if it has improved significantly with the D3x etc I don't really know, perhaps it has, but DxOmark DR measurements cannot be used as the answer to that question, one have to make subjective tests. Expose a landscape scene manually ETTR at base ISO (bracket and check for clipping in postprocessing to make sure ETTR as much as possible, cameras don't have raw histograms so you cannot fully trust their histograms), and then push the shadows in a raw software (preferably in a third party developer that don't make any hidden software fixups of sensor problems) and make a subjective comparison. I haven't seen any such test (but perhaps there is somewhere, I'd like to have a link if so).

Most that do subjective tests use auto-exposure (and in the worst cases look only at camera-generated JPEGs) which means that the cameras that expose "safely" (leave much highlight room) will appear to have worse dynamic range than they have. Of what I have heard Nikon D7000 auto exposure exposes more to the right than what cameras use to, and will thus look like it has even more range than it has in such a test. I do think that the D7000 would win against most Canon cameras anyway. The Canon 7D useful dynamic range sucks badly due to pattern noise (I use a 7D quite much so I battle this problem quite often), and the 5Dmk2 has similar problem but not as large. It shall be interesting to see if they have addressed the problem in 1D-X.

Medium format backs are often said to have a lot more useful dynamic range than 135 cameras. It would be interesting to see an fair and exact comparison there. The extra sensor size should only give a minor advantage in photon shot noise reduction, so the rest of the claimed extra range must come from superior sensor/electronics, or imagination ;-).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:51:32 am by torger »

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2011, 06:53:34 am »

I don't want to disagree with you, but I don't think they are trying to 'spin' anything.  They say replace, and that surely means the 1Ds will be 'axed' if you like. How can they make it clearer?  What we do not know yet is what other cameras they will bring out in the coming months that may be better for your purpose than a 1Ds if, as I assume, you want more megapixels.  If you think Canon will not have a 'professional' camera of more than 18MP for the next 5 years I think you will turn out to be wrong.  It just will not be a 1Ds.

Jim

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2011, 10:42:28 am »

I am afraid that I will prove to be right after all, Canon did the right thing, but in the mean time has created a huge market support that they taught it otherwise. This market may have an unpredictable reaction, ...because they were taught otherwise! So, ...after all, although the company could see the catastrophe coming and they reacted with a superb product, it may prove that their market simply wished as they were taught up to now! History will prove the rest, I wish I am wrong... Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

EgillBjarki

« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2011, 12:24:15 pm »

If you look at the history of Canon's 1D and 1Ds there has been a tendency of roughly double up of resolution.

1D Mark II = 8.2MP
1Ds Mark II = 16.7MP

1D Mark III = 10MP
1Ds Mark III = 21MP

However 1DMIV came in 2009 and then 1DMX in 2011 with no update on 1Ds line. At first I thought Canon was just pushing 1DMX on the marked for the Olympics, announcing a 1DsMIII replacement later on. But it looks like the 1Ds line stops here, the price tag of the X model is about the same as the 1DsMIII was.

I think Canon is doing the right thing with merging them, allot of people were unhappy with their 1DsMIII purchase when 5DMII appeared one year after, with very similar output files and even more features.

It is clear that 5DMII has been and still is a huge seller, I think they are going to reacting on that. Up the price on a updated 5DMII as they have done with the update of 1DMIV with 1DMX.

Think about it, Canon will sell boat loads of 1DMX to people replacing a old 1D for the price of the 1Ds. The same might happen with 5DMII update, if they up the features a little more than we might have anticipated, they will get away with a higher price tag on the 5DMII replacement as well.

If you ask me I think this is good for every one, lets see what they really do, I might be totally wrong...

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
« Reply #173 on: October 21, 2011, 01:19:39 pm »

Many people here are writing as though it's a universal truth that 18MP should be enough for any professional DSLR user, and that the market for a new, say, 32MP 1Ds is too small to justify it. I think that if there was a market for a 16MP 1Ds in 2004 and a 21MP 1Ds in 2007, then there's a market for a 32MP 1Ds now, whatever it's called. Both of those cameras were initially offered at $8,000, and I think enough people would pay that now for a 32MP 1Ds.

I have to agree with a previous poster who said essentially that it is not possible that Canon has forever maxed out at 18MP or 21MP for their professional DSLRs. We'll just have to wait and see what they come out with next.

stevesanacore

« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2011, 01:51:57 pm »

As you know from my other comments, I was also very upset when Canon announced the 1DX as the replacement for the 1Ds - but then I remembered something an industry friend told me last month.

I have a friend who as always been very accurate in his predictions on Canon gear in the past. So I asked him last month what he has heard. He did not mention the 1Dx camera, but said Canon is going to introduce a 32MP camera next year that will be a larger format than 35mm, retailing for about $10K. Although he is usually right in his predictions, in this case I doubted that they would come out with a completely new format. But now after this announcement of the death of the 1Ds - maybe that is indeed the plan. Maybe along the lines of the Leica S2 size sensor? Or maybe a mirror-less box like RED's MF plans? In any event it sounds crazy but maybe they will surprise us.

Maybe Canon's serious move into the cine camera business next week in Hollywood will shed some light on their other plans?
We don't know what we don't know.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #175 on: October 21, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »

As you know from my other comments, I was also very upset when Canon announced the 1DX as the replacement for the 1Ds - but then I remembered something an industry friend told me last month.

I have a friend who as always been very accurate in his predictions on Canon gear in the past. So I asked him last month what he has heard. He did not mention the 1Dx camera, but said Canon is going to introduce a 32MP camera next year that will be a larger format than 35mm, retailing for about $10K. Although he is usually right in his predictions, in this case I doubted that they would come out with a completely new format. But now after this announcement of the death of the 1Ds - maybe that is indeed the plan. Maybe along the lines of the Leica S2 size sensor? Or maybe a mirror-less box like RED's MF plans? In any event it sounds crazy but maybe they will surprise us.

Maybe Canon's serious move into the cine camera business next week in Hollywood will shed some light on their other plans?

That would require tying up hundreds of millions of dollars of investment to create a medium format camera, and the lenses for it, etc. and to market it so that just is not going to happen, because they would likely never recoup the investment or even in the best case scenario recoup it in a timely manner and then start turning a profit on it. Canon is fundamentally a conservative company and I cannot see anyone in management seriously proposing that Canon's board of directors pull that trigger. While I personally  would love that camera or that to happen to see that idea come to fruition, I wouldn't bet on it: the world-wide market is just too small to justify it. But I do not doubt that they have the technological chops to do it.

Canon's Photographic Group is in the business to generate profits, not commit suicide.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2011, 04:39:20 pm »

Jack,

Why so?

Your fanboyism of Nikon is clear as day, and that's fine Bernard, but none of us has had the opportunity to actually see the results of this new camera. You're also a$$uming that 21 mpx with an old sensor is better than an 18mpx camera with newer technology. I don't think you are correct in this a$$sumption, as I will bet the future will reflect.

Cheers,
Bernard

Who said this was un-noticed by me, and why do you keep making up belief systems for me? Can I get your permission to think my own thoughts and form my own beliefs, please, while at the same time may I ask you only to relay your own?

This basic premise out of the way, Bernard, did you actually read Canon's description of their new camera? Here: I will present it to you:

(Canon technical advisor, Chuck Westfall) finally concludes: 'If you had to highlight just one thing, I'd say the sensor. It's a new level for us in terms of image quality ... The pixel size is larger than in the 1DS III or 5D Mark II (6.95 microns, versus 6.4) and the difference is even more striking compared to the 5.7 micron pixels in the 1D Mark IV. That helps us in terms of light capturing ability and increases the signal to noise ratio. In turn, that does nothing but help the dynamic range of the camera.''

Maybe you ought to stop jumping to conclusions so fast, Bernard, and wait to see what the facts are before forming your opinions. All we have to go on at this point is what the Canon reps are saying, and they seem confident enough in their new camera to do away with their other ones.

Therefore, at this point, all we can do is wait and see.

Jack

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2011, 05:02:22 pm »

That would require tying up hundreds of millions of dollars of investment to create a medium format camera, and the lenses for it, etc. and to market it so that just is not going to happen, because they would likely never recoup the investment or even in the best case scenario recoup it in a timely manner and then start turning a profit on it. Canon is fundamentally a conservative company and I cannot see anyone in management seriously proposing that Canon's board of directors pull that trigger. While I personally  would love that camera or that to happen to see that idea come to fruition, I wouldn't bet on it: the world-wide market is just too small to justify it. But I do not doubt that they have the technological chops to do it.

Canon's Photographic Group is in the business to generate profits, not commit suicide.
This is absolutely correct, but do remember that there are the now abandoned premises and equipment of Contax in Japan, the existing mount of which (N mount) is fully compatible with Canon! Conorus in Canada, not only converts any Contax N lens to Canon with full compatibility to all modes and AF, but they convert the C645 adapter to the N cameras, to fit Canon as well, thus making all the C645 lenses fully compatible with Canon. Since there is an existing line of lenses of superb quality there and surely there is some benefit for Kyocera and Zeiss if the MF line reoccurs, Canon is the most compatible company to have a deal with... Just a (crazy?) thought but surely not as expensive and risky as starting from scratch. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr
 P.S.1 Of course Canon is a sensor manufacturer.... and if they had superb MF (the best?), compatibility would force their MF customers, to stick with them in DSLRs than competition (cost reasons). Just another (crazy?) thought.
 P.S.2 I am using C645 with 12 lenses and MFDB. I also use Nikon FF and APS-c with 14 lenses. If this camera proves to be what I want in highlight DR, I will switch to Canon and will buy the Conorus adapter, not because I'm not satisfied with Nikon, but purely for compatibility reasons!

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2011, 05:31:18 pm »

Your fanboyism of Nikon is clear as day, and that's fine Bernard, but none of us has had the opportunity to actually see the results of this new camera. You're also a$$uming that 21 mpx with an old sensor is better than an 18mpx camera with newer technology. I don't think you are correct in this a$$sumption, as I will bet the future will reflect.

In terms of resolution at least, it seems reasonable to assume that 18mp will not be significantly superior to 21mp. But this was absolutely not my point.

I did also not comment on the performance of the new Canon that I think will be outstanding. My reaction is only about your comment saying that DSLRs performance had reached a plateau. The rest is assumption on your end about what I think about Canon of the 1DX.

Who said this was un-noticed by me, and why do you keep making up belief systems for me? Can I get your permission to think my own thoughts and form my own beliefs, please, while at the same time may I ask you only to relay your own?

This basic premise out of the way, Bernard, did you actually read Canon's description of their new camera? Here: I will present it to you:

(Canon technical advisor, Chuck Westfall) finally concludes: 'If you had to highlight just one thing, I'd say the sensor. It's a new level for us in terms of image quality ... The pixel size is larger than in the 1DS III or 5D Mark II (6.95 microns, versus 6.4) and the difference is even more striking compared to the 5.7 micron pixels in the 1D Mark IV. That helps us in terms of light capturing ability and increases the signal to noise ratio. In turn, that does nothing but help the dynamic range of the camera.''

Maybe you ought to stop jumping to conclusions so fast, Bernard, and wait to see what the facts are before forming your opinions. All we have to go on at this point is what the Canon reps are saying, and they seem confident enough in their new camera to do away with their other ones.

Again, nothing is my comment is about the 1DX.

I also didn't make any assumption on your belief system I just quoted your own comment that "DSLR quality had reached a plateau". No, they did not, other company have been progressing a lot in the last 3 years and you would understand that no plateau has been reached if you knew that.

Did I write that Canon didn't progress now with the 1DX? No, I just wrote that others had already progressed enough that it seems now reasonnable to assume they can go higher pixel count wise than 18MP while maintaining the performance on what I think is the most important metric, DR.

Cheers,
Bernard

JohnKoerner

« Reply #179 on: October 21, 2011, 10:54:58 pm »

In terms of resolution at least, it seems reasonable to assume that 18mp will not be significantly superior to 21mp. But this was absolutely not my point.

I don't know enough about the new technology to assume if this is reasonable or not.

However, you did seem to imply that this camera would somehow have less dynamic range, and yet the company states it will have more dynamic range and better overall images, with less mpx. You are also overlooking a whole host of other professional considerations that this camera has, that others brands do not.

I did also not comment on the performance of the new Canon that I think will be outstanding. My reaction is only about your comment saying that DSLRs performance had reached a plateau. The rest is assumption on your end about what I think about Canon of the 1DX.

Why do you think it is unreasonable for the capabilities to have reached a plateau? A DSLR cannot be "all things camera," and there is no 'one' camera that can do it all. Do you know of a camera that excels in every single respect? I sure don't.

By "plateau," I mean no 'one' camera can be rugged, compact, have razor-sharp AF, shoot multiple frames at blazing speed, have incredible low-light capacity, all the while having the largest sensor possible, producing the biggest files possible. Something's gotta give.

It seems that Canon felt that 18mpx were "enough," and that to keep their flagship camera the overall best and most versatile tool ... in other important ways ... they had to have a cut-off point on mpx, beyond which magnitude would slow-down the camera, rendering it less effective in other ways. It is now FF, and it has an improved sensor to get more out of 18mpx than the previous versions got out of the 20+ range.

So, yes, there is a plateau in mpx if you expect your camera to excel in other, relevant ways.

I also didn't make any assumption on your belief system I just quoted your own comment that "DSLR quality had reached a plateau". No, they did not, other company have been progressing a lot in the last 3 years and you would understand that no plateau has been reached if you knew that.

I disagree.

Can a Hasselblad shoot 14 frames-per-second?
Can your D3x?
How about the Sony?

Do any of these cameras have superior low-light capability, 61 Af points, the best video capabilities of any DSLR, and a 400,000 shutter life?

So, again Bernard, we're talking about more than just mpx here. Not every professional has "super-high mpx" as their primary goal.

Did I write that Canon didn't progress now with the 1DX? No, I just wrote that others had already progressed enough that it seems now reasonnable to assume they can go higher pixel count wise than 18MP while maintaining the performance on what I think is the most important metric, DR.
Cheers,
Bernard

Once again, you're only talking about mpx and DR. These things are important, I agree with you, and the company claims to have surpassed every other iteration of its arsenal in BOTH of these regards ... on top of ... also offering more AF points, a 400,000 shutter life, 14 fps shooting, professional videography capabilities, plus a whole host of other advancements.

Ultimately, this camera may not have quite the image quality of your D3x (or it might, who knows?), but it will be able to do a whole host of other, vital professional chores a quite a bit better than what your camera can. The truth is, most people will not be able to tell the difference between a shot taken by the 1DX shot and a shot taken by the D3x, side-by-side. Yet any professional most assuredly will be able to tell the difference between 14fps and 5 fps, not to mention the unparalleled video recording capabilities, plus the many other key features that will make the new Canon and all-around superior tool to the D3x.

Will this camera be able to shoot a static scene at the same quality shots as a Hasselblad? No.

But as an all-around sports, wildlife, and action camera, it will have no equal anywhere.

Jack

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Up