Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1DX announced - March 2012 availability  (Read 104654 times)

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
Re: Canon EOS 1DX announced - March 2012 availability
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2011, 09:11:32 am »

Canon does all of this in the 7D ... which is actually a step ahead of the Nikon D300s in just about every category and function except maybe total # of AF points ...

Jack

7D is a comparison for D7000, D300s is different..., it's D700 body (better quality than 5d2), not much for a sensor, for modern tech, but a hell of a body... there are people that need this. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2011, 09:15:23 am »

Personally I think they should call it the 1DX3, just to confuse people even more as to whether it's really a Canon or a Nikon camera. Who comes up with these names?

Mike.
;D IMO the best quote! Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2011, 09:21:46 am »

I dont want to shoot in the dark!
I dont want to shoot at 14 fps!
I dont want to shoot movies!

I currently own a 1Ds3 and I cant see an upgrade path for me. Perhaps if Canon bought out a 3D series with a high res sensor. The 5DII had great image quality and great value for the $$ but lets be frank, compared to a 1Ds, the body and AF was rubbish. Perhaps these issues could be addressed with the 5DIII.

Currently, not a happy camper!
But offering this aspects you don't need, it doesn't mean that it won't prove to be better than your 1DS3 in what you do! Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

torger

« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2011, 09:42:16 am »

The thing is this. I think we are witnessing a moment in time where 35mm is returning to it's roots. Because they became capable such a capable camera they crossed into the regions where MF and even large format users used them instead. Now, the dSLR's can't compete with the MF and as MF prices come down - why even try to compete? Stick to what they do, within the boundaries and make it as brilliant as you cancamera. Dare I say it, the technology race has stopped with the dSLR, it's boundaries set and the required market, which was still a mystery has now been made.

Uhmm... maybe I'm not so well-informed on the subject, but to me it seems like the other way around, that the 135 DSLRs will continue to eat chunks of the medium format market. The Nikon D3x and Canon 5Dmk2 and 1Ds3 already did. Having a decent but not high res but high speed DSLR in the lineup is not new, Nikon has had D3s, and the 1Dx is a modern version of that. Many rumours around Canon/Nikon strategies of coming model goes in the direction that there will be a 1Dx type of flagship (ok res, high speed) and a lower cost high res DSLR. With 30-40 megapixel cameras at around $3500 135 DSLRs will present a medium format budget alternative also in the future, perhaps even stronger than before.

And has really MF prices come down to the level of DSLRs? Last time I checked a pre-owned 39 megapixel P45+ costs around $15,000, and that's only the digital back. You need a body and lenses too. Of course there's more to it than just megapixels (DOF, bokeh quality, camera movements etc), but I see no reason why DSLRs would not continue to grab even more of the medium format market by reaching a "good enough" level at a lower price.

torger

« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2011, 09:51:52 am »

7D is a comparison for D7000, D300s is different..., it's D700 body (better quality than 5d2), not much for a sensor, for modern tech, but a hell of a body... there are people that need this. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

As being used to both 7D and D7000 I'd say that it is a poor comparison. D7000 has fine electronics (sensor quality considerably better than 7D) but it is not a professionally sized housing, it is too small to be intended to be used with full size lenses. 7D on the other hand is larger and more robustly built with better button placement, clearly intended to work well with larger and heavier L glass. Having the cameras side by side this becomes evident. Actually I think the 7D body has a nicer more robust feel to it than the 5Dmk2. If its build quality is as good as D300s I cannot say, probably D300s is a bit better as many say, but surely 7D is by Canon intended to work as a professional tool while being accessible to amateurs, a typical "prosumer" kind of product. 7D is a popular camera for bird photography for example, using the crop size to get extra reach and having a very competent auto-focus system.

Problem with D300s today is that the tech is so old and electronics of D7000 is so good so many prefer using D7000 anyway when they need Nikon APS-C although the ergonomics and robustness is better in the D300s.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:59:00 am by torger »

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2011, 09:54:17 am »

Canon does all of this in the 7D ... which is actually a step ahead of the Nikon D300s in just about every category and function except maybe total # of AF points ...

Jack

And from working with both I prefer the D7000 over the D300s as an APS-C camera. I haven't worked with an EOS 7D. Most of my work is shot with a 1Ds Mk III but I also regularly use a 1D Mark IV and have made extensive use of the D3, D3s and D3X.  While I'd prefer that the EOS 1Ds X  had at least the photo-site count of the 1Ds Mk III / 5D Mk II, What I am looking forward to in the 1D X  are the improvements in the operational ergonomics, metering and autofocus.

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2011, 10:00:42 am »

As being used to both 7D and D7000 I'd say that it is a poor comparison. D7000 has fine electronics (sensor quality considerably better than 7D) but it is not a professionally sized housing, it is too small to be intended to be used with full size lenses. 7D on the other hand is larger and more robustly built with better button placement, clearly intended to work well with larger and heavier L glass. Having the cameras side by side this becomes evident. Actually I think the 7D body has a nicer more robust feel to it than the 5Dmk2. If its build quality is as good as D300s I cannot say, probably D300s is a bit better as many say, but surely 7D is by Canon intended to work as a professional tool while being accessible to amateurs, a typical "prosumer" kind of product. 7D is a popular camera for bird photography for example, using the crop size to get extra reach and having a very competent auto-focus system.
A personal preference or criteria, ....is personal. It should be therefore respected. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

Ellis Vener

« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2011, 10:02:40 am »

"I noticed in the online videos I saw of CPS members handholding the camera at the NZ press event that the CF door was taped shut."

The cameras that are out there are essentially hand built prototypes - lots of things are not finalized including firmware. Nikon and Canon started this program of taping media doors shut after a popular photo blogger was caught putting in his own media cards and shooting frames which he then shared on his site, after being specifically warned not to do that after an NDA meeting with Nikon back at  the 2005 PMA  show in Orlando. I didn't witness this but the people at Nikon's PR agency told me about it immediately afterward.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2011, 10:07:51 am »

I am surprised no one is making a bigger deal out of Canon moving away from a split CF /SD media combination to a dual CF configuration.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2011, 10:31:18 am »

I am surprised no one is making a bigger deal out of Canon moving away from a split CF /SD media combination to a dual CF configuration.

I prefer CF media looking forward to the future. Larger storage capacity is possible, and much harder to lose in the field.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

torger

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2011, 10:34:59 am »

I prefer CF media looking forward to the future. Larger storage capacity is possible, and much harder to lose in the field.

I've been told that CF media was being phased out to be replaced by the tiny SD... I feel glad that 1Dx uses CF so it will live longer. I also prefer the CF size, small but not so small it becomes scary, which I think SD is... :-)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2011, 10:43:49 am »

If massive mpx is what a person wants, to maximize large, static "fine art" or billboard shots, they should go medium format.

Hum... you have never used a MFDB for cold weather landscape shooting away from the road, have you?

Cheers,
Bernard

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2011, 11:02:18 am »

* Absolute robustness implies "heavy use, always moving, constantly subjected to elements."
* Super fine resolving power implies "calm, still use, single-image taking."

Landscape photography often involves both "super fine resolving" and "constantly subjected to elements." I bought a 1DsIII instead of a 5DII because I expected to be out with it in bad weather and hiking on possibly rough terrain.

As I said before, I know that this new camera will be perfect for many photographers and that's great, but I was really hoping for more MP and the usual rugged 1-series body (with all the other 1-series goodies that come with it). That I would buy.

craigwashburn

« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2011, 11:13:27 am »

I have all these needs, I shoot almost every day of the week and each shoot is thousands of frames. I also want MP. I want the detail and the quality. i want the very best I can get. I know a lot of photographers in the same boat.

My MF Rig does all this and doesn't need to be handled with kid gloves. Is it any slower? No. Even when I shoot with a dSLR I work tethered and it's really not that much faster. It is easier to shoot given it's size and therefore makes it desirable to use for certain applications but it's not a reason not to use MF which keeps up and the quality blows it out of the water.

The thing is this. I think we are witnessing a moment in time where 35mm is returning to it's roots. Because they became capable such a capable camera they crossed into the regions where MF and even large format users used them instead. Now, the dSLR's can't compete with the MF and as MF prices come down - why even try to compete? Stick to what they do, within the boundaries and make it as brilliant as you cancamera. Dare I say it, the technology race has stopped with the dSLR, it's boundaries set and the required market, which was still a mystery has now been made.

So maybe this really does make Canon market leaders after all...

The 1ds was a bit of a stop gap machine when regional commercial photogs needed to go digital but couldn't justify the cost outlay and technical limitations that MF had in the last decade.  But, these problems have been largely solved and you can today buy a new 30mp back for $8k - exactly what the 1ds series launched at.  By serving that niche (and yet probably not making much money on it) Canon dominated a market that had formerly been dominated by MF film.   Even so, this wasn't their original market of sports and journalism where Canon had made long roads into.  And those commercial photographers have always had their eye on digital MF, waiting for it to become more attainable.

Even if a high MP 5D comes out, I can't see this same lot just jumping right on that... the 5D's a fine camera, but it doesn't have the star power to it that a lot of commercial photogs want.  ie, a camera the art director himself wouldn't have.

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2011, 11:59:06 am »

Hi Mike,

The naming convention is consistent with how Canon have named almost all of their (D)SLRs. What's really puzzling to me is the jump from Mark IV to X, it suggests to be a deliberate ending of the line (not likely that we'll see an 1DY and 1DZ). Let the speculation begin ... ;)

Cheers,
Bart
A 1D(x), then (y) and then (z)?  ;D Wouldn't this make it an XYZ approach? ??? Huh, I got it! Their approach starting from now is a "three-dimensional" one! ;) Or is it a "lost in space" one? :D Time will tell. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

Ellis Vener

« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2011, 12:10:17 pm »

...What's really puzzling to me is the jump from Mark IV to X, it suggests to be a deliberate ending of the line (not likely that we'll see an 1DY and 1DZ). Let the speculation begin ... ;)

Cheers,
Bart

The Official Explanation given for the EOS 1D X nomenclature  is as follows (and I swear I'm not making this up) "X  has three meanings: for extreme performance in extreme conditions; for the Roman Numeral way of writing ten as this is the tenth generation of EOS cameras; and X is for cross-over as the EOS 1D X replaces  both the 1Ds Mark III and 1Ds Mark IV."

With this triple layer of meanings and symbolism  a wonder that they didn't then call it the "EOS 1D XXX" - but I suspect the marketing department wouldn't have allowed that.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:14:13 pm by Ellis Vener »

araz

• Araz Jakalian Photography
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2011, 12:49:09 pm »

Landscape photography often involves both "super fine resolving" and "constantly subjected to elements." I bought a 1DsIII instead of a 5DII because I expected to be out with it in bad weather and hiking on possibly rough terrain.

As I said before, I know that this new camera will be perfect for many photographers and that's great, but I was really hoping for more MP and the usual rugged 1-series body (with all the other 1-series goodies that come with it). That I would buy.

I agree on all points. The 1DsIII has survived the cold, heavy rain, constant rain, snow and mud (yes mud!). I really don't think a lesser body, eg 5DII would have survived some of the elements I was in. That's why I'm a bit concerned about the 1D series now becoming a sport's camera.

What is the path for Canon landscape photographers?

Araz

craigwashburn

« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2011, 12:57:12 pm »

I agree on all points. The 1DsIII has survived the cold, heavy rain, constant rain, snow and mud (yes mud!). I really don't think a lesser body, eg 5DII would have survived some of the elements I was in. That's why I'm a bit concerned about the 1D series now becoming a sport's camera.

What is the path for Canon landscape photographers?

Araz

Sell your equipment and buy this:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/pentax_645d___a_first_review.shtml

araz

• Araz Jakalian Photography
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2011, 01:17:35 pm »

As I'm reading through the posts and trying to predict Canon's long term strategy (and consequently my own)... the following points are clear in my head:

- The 1-series now belongs to the photographer who needs speed, high ISO, robustness and image quality (this covers a large market share)
- As of the 1DX announcment, Canon has segregated the pro high res photographer (studio/landscape) to a non 1-series body. The studio/landscape market is also large, and it's one that Canon served for many years with a 1-series body i.e. 1Ds, 1DsII, 1DsIII

Now for some speculation:

- I'm convinced that the pro studio/landscape photographer will not be abandonned by Canon
- Canon has a big announcment on Nov 4th which I think will meet the needs of the pro high res market
- Do you think Canon may enter the MF market?

Araz

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2011, 01:20:27 pm »

No. I don't think so. They may compete with the MF market, however.

BR
Erik

- Do you think Canon may enter the MF market?

Araz

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up