Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs  (Read 102114 times)

gwhitf

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 855
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2008, 09:48:53 pm »

Regarding that concern about the PocketWizard sticking out the side of the RZ and the Hy6, here is another option:

http://microsyncdigital.com/home.cfm
Logged

Graham Mitchell

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2281
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2008, 09:58:13 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
Regarding that concern about the PocketWizard sticking out the side of the RZ and the Hy6, here is another option:

http://microsyncdigital.com/home.cfm

It's too slow. Max sync speed, leaf shutter: 1/350 sec
Logged

HarperPhotos

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1309
    • http://www.harperphoto.com
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2008, 10:46:04 pm »

Hello,

I've had two sets of the Micro sync radio triggers and receivers and all I can say is they look good but a absolutely useless.

They can chew thru a set of Eveready Lithium's batteries in about 10 days and have a range of about 1 metre.

Fortunately Tamrac reimburse me for the full amount of money.

Now I use the Eleinchrom system which are small and have a fantastic range.

Also its about time that Leaf bring out there price reduction?

Regards

Simon
Logged
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

BJNY

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1112
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2008, 08:54:05 am »

Okay, if the Elinchrom Skyports are "it",
then someone please post a pic of a transmitter rigged onto a meter
(even though meters are use less & less).

Thank you,
Billy
Logged
Guillermo

Guy Mancuso

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1133
    • http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2008, 09:23:08 am »

Billy you would have to use a small mini plug to PC cord to plug into the Universal skyport transmitter and meter. The Universal Skyport does come with various cords for different flash systems, Phono plug , Mini Plug, PC  Cord and the Elinchrom cord. I use the RX model for my Rangers and the Universal for my Elinchrom monolights. But i can use the same transmitter they only difference is the receiver side. RX is for the RX Elinchrom system. The easist way to go with meter is just have a trigger in one hand to pop the flash and put your meter on non cord , or you can attach the PC cord. I like the skyports better than anything I have used so far.
Logged
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

gwhitf

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 855
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2008, 09:26:38 am »

Billy,

Good point. I forgot about the meter part too. I have that Sekonic meter with the Profoto circuit board installed. Press the button on the meter, and the Profoto pack fires automatically.

Does anyone know if Elinchrom has a module for the Sekonic meter?

Really, more than anything, PocketWizard must be held hostage until they reduce the size of the transmitter case.
Logged

Guy Mancuso

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1133
    • http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2008, 09:33:39 am »

I don't think there is anything for the meters and Elinchrom at least i have yet to see anything. That Sekonic and Profoto did work nice when I had the Profoto system. The nice thing obviously is the size of the skyports. I had the Micro syncs also at one time and there just okay , very small but with limitations and i sheared a few transmitters off the hot shoe mount.
Logged
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Dustbak

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2442
    • Pepperanddust
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2008, 09:57:02 am »

There is a mini-jack (3.5mm) sync-out port on the side of the Elinchrom receiver that you could use with your meter. I think that will work but I have never tried it. I prefer to use the sync cable that I always have with me as a spare.

I store my Elinchrom receivers and transmitters in those neoprene bags that are meant for Sandisk CF cards, just to give another sense of size (they currently ship in a nice box BTW).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 09:59:21 am by Dustbak »
Logged

James R Russell

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 992
    • http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2008, 10:02:35 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
Billy,

Good point. I forgot about the meter part too. I have that Sekonic meter with the Profoto circuit board installed. Press the button on the meter, and the Profoto pack fires automatically.

Does anyone know if Elinchrom has a module for the Sekonic meter?

Really, more than anything, PocketWizard must be held hostage until they reduce the size of the transmitter case.


Don't know anything about Elinchrom but if your working everywhere, pocket wizards are the standard.  Bust the tail off of one and you can rent and buy anywhere.

Also when working in larger rental studios with multiple stages, using pocket wizards, stage 1 is channel 1, stage 2 is channel 2, etc.

Don't know if the elinchrom's have the same frequency, but if not all hell will break loose and you don't want people banging on the door asking why your firing their packs.

The sticking out the side of the Rollei doesn't look like that much of a problem, but If I was going to go to Elinchrom's unless I knew the frequencies, I'd sure have PW's on hand.

Logged

Dustbak

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2442
    • Pepperanddust
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2008, 10:09:55 am »

Sure the PW is the current standard making it easy to find replacements or rentals.

Elinchrom uses 8 frequency channels and 4 different groups can be assigned. The communication between transmitter and receivers is synced and encrypted so it is very unlikely it will fire other equipment especially when it is a different brand. What specific frequency is used I can't tell (Haven't looked might be a better word).

I haven't tested yet how it works with more than one unit at work in 1 place myself. (have seen it demo'ed by others but I agree this is not the same as an actual working situation).

I really like the skyport together with my RX monoblocks. I was pleasantly surprised to hear they apparently also work very well with Profoto (which I am thinking about switching to).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:11:13 am by Dustbak »
Logged

BJNY

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1112
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2008, 02:13:38 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
I really like the skyport together with my RX monoblocks. I was pleasantly surprised to hear they apparently also work very well with Profoto (which I am thinking about switching to).

Sure, I'd expect the universal set to work with any brand using the appropriate cable,
but are you saying an Elinchrom transmitter will trigger a PocketWizard receiver, and vice-versa?

Thanks,
Billy
Logged
Guillermo

Dustbak

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2442
    • Pepperanddust
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2008, 02:20:15 pm »

I don't know. I just saw someone mention earlier the Elinchrom works with Profoto. Indeed the way it does so is not trivial and the next thing I would like to know, Graham?

It would be great when an Elinchrom transmitter could fire a PW receiver. Somehow I doubt it does even though it is possible in theory.
Logged

Graham Mitchell

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2281
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2008, 02:23:16 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
I don't know. I just saw someone mention earlier the Elinchrom works with Profoto. Indeed the way it does so is not trivial and the next thing I would like to know, Graham?

The 'universal' version of Skyport should trigger just about anything.

Logged

Guy Mancuso

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1133
    • http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2008, 02:30:55 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
I don't know. I just saw someone mention earlier the Elinchrom works with Profoto. Indeed the way it does so is not trivial and the next thing I would like to know, Graham?

It would be great when an Elinchrom transmitter could fire a PW receiver. Somehow I doubt it does even though it is possible in theory.


It could be possible though because the Profoto's do learn the signal being sent to it. Wish I could try it but I am all Elinchrom lighting
Logged
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Dustbak

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2442
    • Pepperanddust
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2008, 02:32:51 pm »

That might be right but I really like the way the receivers plug into my Elinchrom strobes. I guess they just hang loose on others or do I tie-wrap them until they are fixed? In that case I probably will go for PW since it is nicely integrated in some Profoto packs.

Same here, all Elinchrom and thinking about going at least partially towards Profoto.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 02:33:38 pm by Dustbak »
Logged

Guy Mancuso

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1133
    • http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2008, 03:03:17 pm »

I should add I know the Acutes learn the signal, i would suspect the D4 does also. I use velcro on my monolights since I don't have RX mono's and have to use the universal on those but I have the RX setup on my Rangers. So i have both setups but they work together. The RX setup plugs directly into the sync port via a adapter for my Ranger but the Universal uses cords so I have male velcro on those receivers and the mono's have the female side to it. It works but not as elegant as the RX which plugs directly in.
Logged
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

paul_jones

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 574
    • http://www.paulrossjones.com
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2008, 03:37:49 pm »

Quote from: foto-z
The 'universal' version of Skyport should trigger just about anything.


how long do the batteries last?

they seem a bit cheaper than the PW as well.

paul
Logged
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Guy Mancuso

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1133
    • http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2008, 03:40:42 pm »

In the Universal you have chargers for the receivers and a button battery for the transmitter. I am shooting for three days straight this week so I will find out , really just converted over to Elinchrom stuff this past couple weeks . So It gets a full workout this week. See how it all goes
Logged
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Dustbak

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2442
    • Pepperanddust
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2008, 03:51:12 pm »

I use it for about 9 months now and have not changed a single battery yet. I have used it on over 75 assignments varying from the whole day of shooting to just an hour or so. I only use it with RX mono's. I have no generators or batteries yet which is why I am thinking about getting Profoto.

I have the RX version which doesn't have a sync out BTW! the receivers also don't have any batteries which is why I seem not to worry (I had to go up to check ).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 03:58:27 pm by Dustbak »
Logged

John_Black

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 264
    • http://www.pebbleplace.com
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2008, 10:38:23 am »

Another vote for the Skyports (RX set-up).  I've used them for well over a year now and have not had to replace the battery on the transmitter yet.  They are used every week and probably have around 10,000 clicks.  The receivers just plug into the back of the RX unit monolight, so it's very clean with no added wires.  

The only downside is that you may not be able to reach the maximum sync-speed.  With the 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 I shoot at 1/160th because some shading occurs along the lower 1/2 of the frame at 1/200 and is very noticeable at 1/250th.  After talking about this with MAC group, they passed along this document from Elinchrom - Skyport Sync Document.  A fellow friend / photographer has the microsyncs and those have similar limitations.

The Mamiya 645AFDII is not listed on that page; in my experience it had to be set at 1/90th.  I do not know if Pocket Wizards have similar set-up delay or not.  The Word .doc is from July 2007, so it's possible Elinchrom has made improvements between now and then.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up