Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Harman Inkjet Gloss FB AL  (Read 51273 times)

Hermie

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 02:30:22 am by Hermie »

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Harman Inkjet Gloss FB AL
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 03:58:12 am »

Well, we're still waiting here in the UK - unless anyone knows different and someone has stocks?

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 05:40:47 am »

Well, we're still waiting here in the UK - unless anyone knows different and someone has stocks?

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138345\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tried 10 different store, they all are still waiting for that paper.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

michael

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 08:25:38 am »

I'll have a major review here later this week.

This is the paper we've been waiting for!

Michael

jeffball

• www.earthandskyphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 09:00:08 am »

Let's hope they can produce it with good QC.  My problem with the other fibre papers is the blemishes and surface artifacts out of the box, especially with roll papers.  Looking forward to the review.  
Jeff

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138376\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jeff Ball
[url=http://www.earthandskypho

John R Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 09:24:10 am »

Jeff

I have been using the Harman FB matt ever since it came out, and QC has been very good, box to box and sheet to sheet. I see no reason to suppose that the gloss will be any different in this regard.

John
an

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 11:23:47 am »

Jeff

I have been using the Harman FB matt ever since it came out, and QC has been very good, box to box and sheet to sheet. I see no reason to suppose that the gloss will be any different in this regard.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138393\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I ordered a roll over the weekend from climaxphoto.com and got a message from them that the product will dropship from Pantone (!) on October 10th.

I've used the Harman Matte paper on my Z3100 and love the surface, but find it too fragile to even consider using without a protective spray.  I'm hoping the glossy and satin finishes are less fragile.

-Ron
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 01:17:40 am »

I just read Richard Lohmann's review of the new Harman Gloss paper.

It sounds like everything I have been looking for in a gloss paper except for this:

"Harman Gloss does have a delicate surface that is susceptible to fine scratching.  When printed from rolls on the Hewlett Packard Z 3100, the paper was scratched by the printer. No Epson printers I used scratched the surface of Harman Gloss."

That quote sort of took the wind out of my sails.  Are Z3100 owners going to be locked into a handful of glossy choices that don't show signs of roller marks?  From what I recall, those that had the redesigned rollers replaced still had the same problems afterward.  I haven't tried it, but Richard implies elsewhere that cut sheets don't show the same marks.  Does it grab the paper differently with cut sheets vs. roll paper?

Thanks,
Ron
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 05:05:49 am »

It sounds like everything I have been looking for in a gloss paper except for this:

"Harman Gloss does have a delicate surface that is susceptible to fine scratching.  When printed from rolls on the Hewlett Packard Z 3100, the paper was scratched by the printer. No Epson printers I used scratched the surface of Harman Gloss."

That quote sort of took the wind out of my sails.  Are Z3100 owners going to be locked into a handful of glossy choices that don't show signs of roller marks?  From what I recall, those that had the redesigned rollers replaced still had the same problems afterward.  I haven't tried it, but Richard implies elsewhere that cut sheets don't show the same marks.  Does it grab the paper differently with cut sheets vs. roll paper?

Thanks,
Ron
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I doubt the last. The transport pressure will be the same, the curled paper from the roll may build up a slightly heavier pressure on the rolls spots but it will not make the difference.  The Innova F type gloss A3 sheets have the same matt inprint of the transport rollers.

As it is not unlikely that all the new baryta papers are coated by Sihl you may see the same surface quality issues with the other ones that get to the market now.

[a href=\"http://www.dasauge.de/aktuell/foto_film/e908]http://www.dasauge.de/aktuell/foto_film/e908[/url]

320, 325 and 290 gsm papers. 5 gram difference on 16 A4 sheets isn't much. The Sihl may be a bit more flexible but 10% lighter isn't much either.

The transport roller construction doesn't lend itself to DIY improvements. maybe if HP sends new roller sets + instructions but that probably will create more disasters than solve the issue.

Ernst Dinkla

try:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 06:19:24 pm »

I've been using the paper for about a week (I wrote one of the first review comments on the page the OP linked to) and have not noticed it being especially scratch-prone...  In fact, my prints on it seem as durable as those from Epson Premium Luster, which is pretty durable.    

And to clarify, this is quite contrary from my experience with the matte version, which I did NOT like the look of to begin with, and did seem fairly fragile.  

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 06:20:16 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

pflower

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 06:29:01 pm »

Called Silverprint this morning and got some A4.  No idea when larger sizes will be available.  Only done 2 prints - definite improvement over Innova Gloss (not the ultrasmooth on which I haven't made a comparison print.).  Colour also looks promising.
John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138345\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

alanrew

• http://
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 06:38:44 pm »

FWIW, I've just posted this thread about one of the Harman Gloss FB AI generic profiles for the Epson R2400. The profile makes the paper look really impressive :-)
I tried RK Photographic in the UK today and they are expecting some 'soon'.
Can't wait to try this paper!

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 08:52:27 pm »

"Harman Gloss does have a delicate surface that is susceptible to fine scratching.  When printed from rolls on the Hewlett Packard Z 3100, the paper was scratched by the printer. No Epson printers I used scratched the surface of Harman Gloss."

That quote sort of took the wind out of my sails.  Are Z3100 owners going to be locked into a handful of glossy choices that don't show signs of roller marks?  From what I recall, those that had the redesigned rollers replaced still had the same problems afterward.  I haven't tried it, but Richard implies elsewhere that cut sheets don't show the same marks.  Does it grab the paper differently with cut sheets vs. roll paper?

Thanks,
Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138568\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not against buying cut sheets to use on my Z3100 but I'd like confirmation that the problem only appears with rolls of papers.  

Lohmann's review of the paper is quite glowing.  Now all we have to do is wait to see how it compares with Hahnemuhle's soon to be released baryta.
Regards,
Ron

llama

• http://www.uncommonpear.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 10:13:40 pm »

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138376\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael,

I'm hoping you'll still be doing this review despite today's posting of Mr. Lohmann's review. You seemed to indicate that you'd be deferring to his views.

I'd very much like to see it as there doesn't appear to be much about the paper's workings with the IPF5000 -- Harman doesn't even have profiles for it -- and we know that you like the IPF5000's output.  As always, your insights would be most appreciated.

As for the paper, Shades of Paper appears to have some sheets, but pricing looks pretty insane (or maybe I need to recalibrate my meter as I enter the world of printing).

N

John R Smith

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 08:57:33 am »

Well, I've now got an order in with two UK suppliers for some sample packs of the Harman Gloss. As soon as I actually get some to feed through the R2400 I will report back. Must say that I'm looking forward to this.

John
an

dhoelscher

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 10:15:38 am »

I'm not against buying cut sheets to use on my Z3100 but I'd like confirmation that the problem only appears with rolls of papers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138768\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My experience with my Z3100 is that linear scratches appear with the Harman Glossy FB Al (8.5 x 11") cut sheets as well.

DDH

Beeman

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 10:32:41 am »

Michael
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree with the reviewers. I grabbed a trial pack of both matte (warmtone) and Glossy yesterday and have been stunned by the quality of the paper. It is everything I have been looking for - proper blacks, brilliant tonal range, prints that really snap and zing - they are that crisp. Soft-proofing becomes easier with this paper - no need to compensate for weak blacks and muddy shadows. The weight and feel of the paper is a delight - I can finally banish the "plastic paper" and semi-retire the expensive Hahnemuehle Photo Rag!

With the glossy paper the print surface is just sublime with both b&w and colour. I am using a HP B9180 and prints are free from bronzing and gloss differential and as far as I can test also also free from metamerism. As commented by others; the b&w really does have a metallic glow and when printing colour images they are almost three dimensional - the substrate provides that much depth to the print.

I have also tried the Warmtone Matte paper and I am equally pleased. The B9180 prints beautiful b&w on the warmtone matte paper, with the boost in the dmax/blacks being particularly evident. This is probably one of the sharpest printing matte papers I have tried, with detail to match.

I haven't tried the regular Matte, but it ought to be very similar to the Warmtone, as I understand the only difference is that the "regular" has optical brighteners whilst the warmtone doesn't and is additionally described as acid-free and of museum grade standard.

I haven't had any problems with the surface being potentially delicate - aren't most fine art paper surfaces a little delicate? The B9180 certainly hasn't marked the paper (glossy or matte) so far!

For the forum poster who wanted to know where it is available in the UK, it seems that supplies of the gloss are finally coming onstream (about a month later than promised). Speed Graphic ([a href=\"http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk]Speed Graphic[/url]www.speedgraphic.co.uk) has stocks of all three papers in all cut sizes - but the larger sizes of Gloss have only just come in stock in the last day or so. Speedgraphic seem to be one of the first to get stock of the Gloss paper, from my trawl of the internet, although I emailed several other reliable online stores (UK) and they are all expecting stocks within the next two weeks. BTW - I have no connection with Speed Graphic save that I use them from time to time.

On the strength of the prints I made yesterday with the trial packs, I have ordered some packs of A3+ and I expect this to become my standard paper.

rdonson

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 10:36:38 am »

My experience with my Z3100 is that linear scratches appear with the Harman Glossy FB Al (8.5 x 11") cut sheets as well.

DDH
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138889\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks!  I didn't think there were two paper paths so I didn't understand how rolls would exhibit the scratches and cut sheets wouldn't.
Regards,
Ron

millsart

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 11:05:26 am »

Does anyone have anything to share regarding the curl reistance this paper claims to have ?

As excited as I was reading the other fine features this paper list, the one that really got me was its reported reistance to curling as thats something I've always had issues with and reverse rolling a roll, using homemade "d rollers" and so forth are all things I would never miss not having to do ever again  

I'm going to imagine this will be on a 3" core so I guess the real test will be when someone gets down the the end of the roll and we see just how useable those last few feet are.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 11:47:47 am »

I was under the impression that the anti-curl stuff was mostly applicable to cut sheets, not rolls ...

I would imagine that even if the anti-curl stuff is effective, near the end of a roll it's still going to be pretty prone to curl after it comes off the roll.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up