Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: LLVJ-16 DVD Download  (Read 29818 times)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2007, 08:40:59 am »

Yes Quicktime uses VBR, no one said otherwise.  You set a max rate, it encodes below that.

Andy M

• http://
LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2007, 12:31:39 pm »

Why not simply post a poll on the website?

Bob Nicholson

• http://www.airpixuk.com
LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2007, 02:15:54 pm »

Hi Chris,

I have now tried the new "high res" download and the DVD download and the difference is like chalk and cheese, the DVD version is both better on a computer monitor and a magnitude better on a TV screen (which is my preferred way to watch the VJ)

So, as things are at the moment my vote if for the DVD download.

Cheers

Bob

From the main LLVJ Downloads page: "While the video quality of the DVDs is still superior, the high-res files, which measure 640 x 360 pixels, give excellent viewing up to twice their native size - easily suitable to sit back and watch on a computer monitor."

From the Download Video FAQ page:  "Q: Can I watch the files on a television set ?

A: Yes. While primarily designed to be watched on a computer monitor, there are various ways of viewing the download video on a television set.

The easiest is if your computer has an S-Video output. Also easy is a hardware device such as an Apple TV box or other X-Box-like device that can take digital files and export them as a component video signal. The files can also be transferred to a DVD-Video if you have the appropriate software to create a DVD-Video. But please remember, that since these files are highly compressed for download, the quality will not be quite as good as a regular DVD-Video. "

CS
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126161\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2007, 05:41:08 pm »

I have re-encoded and replaced the California .mp4 file in the LLVJ-16 Download product.

I would like to get reaction to its quality.  It is the same pixel size but the frame rate is upped from 24 to 29.97. For those viewing it on a television screen, this should improve things considerably

If you have purchased LLVJ-16 and would download that file again, log in to your order with your registered email & password here.

Chris S
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 05:48:18 pm by Chrissand »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2007, 06:42:34 pm »

Ideally the resolution would return in the future as well, because it is very noticeable - but the framerate is now correct and looks great!  A BIG step in the right direction!

mikealex

• http://www.pbase.com/mikealex
LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2007, 07:02:58 pm »

Better, yes. Good enough, not for me. It doesn't solve the issue that I don't want to watch LLVJ on a computer screen, and I don't want to take the time to re-encode the video so I can watch it on my TV.

But, I'll be honest. Michael's arrogant and unsympathetic attitude towards his customers in this matter has completely soured my opinion of LLVJ (and no, I'm not stupid enough to believe that Michael actually cares about that). At this point, I'm not sure what it would take to win me back as a customer. I still intend to let my DVD subscription run it's course, and then, unless there is a DVD download option, I'm done.

...Mike
...Mike

michael

LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2007, 11:07:05 pm »

"arrogant and unsympathetic..."

Isn't the internet wonderful? Anyone can spout whatever rude nonsense they wish.

This is a business decision sir, and as such was made based on factors which we have attempted to explain here to the best of our ability. The long and short of it is that the DVD model is simply becoming untenable economically.

Chris has been receptive to numerous suggestions made here about improving download quality, and we have committed to continuing DVD distribution through Issue #20, which is probably for the next couple of years.

If this is rude and unsympathetic then I sincerely hope that you never see me when I truly am either of those things.

Michael

mikealex

LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2007, 12:13:24 am »

I have requested the cancellation of the remainder of my LLVJ subscription, and a full refund for the undelivered DVDs. Mr. Reichmann has proven to be a person with whom I no longer wish to conduct business.

...Mike
...Mike

Frank Doorhof

LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2007, 02:43:43 am »

@mike,
I think you are overreacting and not by a small margin.

The problem of the internet is you can't see people in the face so the written word can come over wrong.
I have not found anything Michael or Chriss said to be wrong, it was a bit short due to the posts they got from the forum which I can understand by the way, and I think it was meant as harsch, but when you are approached harsch, you will respond harsch, that's the normal result.

If they were really not thinking about the customers, they would have not looked into the issue I brought up, and Chriss has as far as I can see now solved it, have to watch the clip on my projector this evening to be sure but I'm glad they listened.

Offcourse I also want DVD downloads, but they made clear it's not possible and to be quite honest I don't care if the judder is gone.
Offcourse we want HD downloads in Ts form but than someone will claim they can't read that, or their B&W set doesn't compute

The product is solid, although I would love to see more releases a year
The quality is worse than DVD, but to be honest without the judder perfectly watchable.

The remarks about you don't want to watch on a PC monitor I also understand, but why would you ?
You can recode the whole think automaticly nowadays in about an hour.
Or even better by a mediaplayer, like the TIVX, PMS Media Box or a load of others, you can can download everything you want from HD streams to DVD's, Music, MP4, youtube whatever, put it on the network in your house, connect the box to the TV and browse and play every file, we are using that in our Home Theater for some years now and it's killer

On the other hand, you have people who want to try to adjust and go into a serious discussion looking for a solution that will fitt both, or you have people that are just getting mad and destroy more than they want.

Just my rant, not meant as a flame.

Greetings,
Frank

ps. Come on Micheal give us the HD versions

mikealex

LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2007, 08:19:16 am »

I have tried to help to come to a reasonable solution. I was the first to suggest a DVD download option; I worked with Chris through e-mail to help him understand the requirements on a PC to burn a DVD; I downloaded the DVD download test product and provided my feedback and instructions on how to burn it on a PC. I have not simply been another internet yahoo that has gotten mad and "spouted whatever rude nonsense I wished", as Mr. Reichmann suggests.

Chris has been nothing but polite, and is working hard to find a solution. Unfortunately, I don't feel the same can be said of Mr. Reichmann.

Like Mr. Reichmann's, my mind is made up. My opinion has been soured, and I don't expect I would enjoy watching the product any longer, regardless of the format it is delivered.

...Mike
...Mike

michael

LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2007, 09:10:22 am »

I regret losing any customer. But, I also have no tolerance for being insulted and misrepresented.

Enough said.

Michael

mikealex

LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2007, 11:20:29 am »

Mr. Reichmann,

I am not an unreasonable person, although I'm sure you think otherwise at the moment. I'm sure my opinion of yourself is not entirely accurate either. I didn't get into this with the hope, or even expectation, of canceling my subscription. It's unfortunate it came to that.

When I said that your attitude was "arrogant and unsympathetic", all you had to do was ask me why I thought that. I would have told you, and we probably could have come to a better understanding of each other. I expect we would have worked this out without you losing a customer.

You have called me rude and insulting. You have said that I misrepresented you. You have even been mildly threatening ("If this is rude and unsympathetic then I sincerely hope that you never see me when I truly am either of those things.").

At no time have you asked me why I feel the way I do about how this has been handled, or why I think your attitude has been arrogant and unsympathetic.

Instead of calming the waters, you chose to fan the flames by lumping me in with all the internet yahoo's that "spout whatever rude nonsense they wish". I consider that rude and insulting, and that is why you lost a customer.

Maybe there is no solution that is going to satisfy me, but coming to that conclusion amicably with a customer leaves room for the customer to return when you do offer products of interest (I was looking forward to the printing tutorial). If a customer leaves on good terms, it's less likely they will give negative word of mouth advertising. Piss them off, and things are quite different.

Enough said.

...Mike
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 12:14:52 pm by mikealex »
...Mike

Frank Doorhof

LLVJ-16 DVD Download
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2007, 04:29:29 pm »

Will open a new topic with my thoughts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up