Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Backs for architecture/commercial photography  (Read 123627 times)

Danijela D. Karic

Backs for architecture/commercial photography
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 05:29:32 am »

... and here some additional information about the technical differences and facts between 33 MPx Dalsa and 39 MPx sensors: I was thinking that it might interest a lot of you here. See attachment.

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100298\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Great Info, Highly appreciated.

Thank You
Danijela

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 05:54:16 am »

Dear Danijela,
I own and use the alpa12swa for 3,5 years with b&w film (a Rollex back), and  for the last 2 years I use my Alpas (have added a TC)  with an eMotion 22. I have an Apo- Helvetar 48mm (use it with film and digital), a Digitar 35mm, a Digitar 24mm. I agree that a 24mm Digitar is an extreme lens and suffers from colorcast with even limited shifts on an e22. With  the brumbaer software an Alpa and an e22 is a joy to use on location, and I do not care about center filters anymore.
Yevgeny
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Yevgeny,

Basically I am going for almost the same system as yours only with the bigger chip. At the moment I am avoiding the Rollex film back simply because I can easily add a third lens for the same money.

Any experience with the 28HR or any of the Rodenstock digital lenses with ALPA?

Any reference or issues like Centrefold with your e22 and 24XL on ALPA?, do you have a link to your web,
or few images that you may like to share.

I am particularly interested to hear the bad news first if there is any, then I usually find it a lot more easier to talk about the quality.

Thank you
Danijela

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2007, 06:42:02 am »

Danijela

I use an ALPA 12 SWA with 24, 35 and 47mm Schneider Digitars. I purchased a Leaf Aptus 75, but after 9 months for problems including those mentioned here I switched to the H3D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100401\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is exactly the kind of set-up I was looking for with Apo-Digitar 5.6/47mm XL decentered with the exception of the 24XL  in exchange for 28HR.

Any Experience with 24XL vs. 28HR on ALPA 12 SWA?

Danijela

The H3D wound up with a whole different set of problems such as niot being able to do white gain corrections unless being tethered. Hassalblad is working on these issues. Their image quality with the H3D is amazing.

I have to admit that I really like the H3D especially because it is their 3rd H generation system, nice selection of lenses, It's new and it works.  

Is the problem with White Gain Correction going to be solved in the foreseeable future or else… ?

I am also excited about the Hy6 project but I already decided to give the advantage to H3D since
as I said, H3D is the 3rd Generation and Hy6 is not even available. Plus I feel like there is nothing to worry about with regards to Hy6, since it feels like they already have the whole Army of BETA testers waiting in que willing to put their trust and money on the line.

Danijela

You may want to take a look at Tim Griffiths website. He is an architectual photographer using the Digitars and a P45. His work is outstanding and he raves about the P45.

After all, It seems like All Roads Lead To Rome/P45+

Regards
Danijela

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2007, 06:48:29 am »

Dear Danijela,

I have already asked some distributors to give me a contact willing to inform about his work with it.

Will let you know,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100439\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course I will be patient with in the reason, but I have to have the system by the
end of the month. I think that is reasonable regardless of my choice.

Regards
Danijela

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2007, 05:06:12 pm »

Tim Griffith uses a Cambo WDS last time I spoke with him.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100416\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice Camera in deed, but not something I would pick.   I like Rehniar's Gottschalt Camera better.

The Alpa 12 SWA is excellent,however limited in movements.
No lateral shift and to shift down,you have to turn the camera back to front.

I am focused on ALPA 12SWA only because it is good for what it is, small, compact a bit like a Leica of the Medium Format, hence the idea of less bodyguards around me. I guess my concern with theft is a bit different from guy's perspective on the very same issue.

The biggest downfall for me with regards to ALPA is the fact that:

Nº01 »  Their lenses don't fit other cameras like Linhof 679, Sinar P3, etc. even though they are the very same lenses only with a different helical mount i guess.

Perhaps I am wrong in say that, perhaps not, I'm not sure yet?

Nº02 »  Price vs. Compatibility, with the exception of the Rollei Lenses which are
interchangeble with ALPA as I unerstand and I really like Rollei lenses, esspecialiy if Rollei's/Sinar's Hy6 succede's the trip.

Otherwise the Alpa XY does it all,but to large for my liking.

Cheers,
Willem.

The same here.

Regards
Danijela

med007

• http://www.openphotographyforums.com
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2007, 05:46:47 pm »

Well what would you think of this from China, the Fotoman Technical DMAX due March 07!

Description:
Multi Film Format: 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9, 6x12 via removeable film backs
Film Size: 120 & 220
Accepts many Digital Backs (Phase One, Leaf, Imacon, Jenoptik, Sinar)
Focus Method: Helical Focus Mount or Ground Glass
View Finder: 120 degree with Interchangeable Masks
Body Material: 6061 T2 Aluminum Alloy
Body Dimensions: TBA
Weight: TBA
Price: Forecast at approximately 2,700.00 USD

See more details here

Is this up to standards needed for architecture, I have no idea, but this is worth looking at. Certainly this opens up new possibilities.

Asher Kelman

http://www.openphotographyforums.com

Nice Camera in deed, but not something I would pick.   I like Rehniar's Gottschalt Camera better.
I am focused on ALPA 12SWA only because it is good for what it is, small, compact a bit like a Leica of the Medium Format, hence the idea of less bodyguards around me. I guess my concern with theft is a bit different from guy's perspective on the very same issue.

The biggest downfall for me with regards to ALPA is the fact that:

Nº01 »  Their lenses don't fit other cameras like Linhof 679, Sinar P3, etc. even though they are the very same lenses only with a different helical mount i guess.

Perhaps I am wrong in say that, perhaps not, I'm not sure yet?

Nº02 »  Price vs. Compatibility, with the exception of the Rollei Lenses which are
interchangeble with ALPA as I unerstand and I really like Rollei lenses, esspecialiy if Rollei's/Sinar's Hy6 succede's the trip.
The same here.

Regards
Danijela
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100545\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[span style='color:blue'][url=http://www

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 05:48:58 pm »

seems so that the wide angle capacity is limited. they state the 38schneider the
widest and the 45 rodenstock.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2007, 05:53:40 pm »

Rainer,
scroll to the bottom and find 24XL Schneider and 35 Apo Sironar Rodenstock.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

rethmeier

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2007, 05:56:49 pm »

It is certainly a nice little camera.
Vertical shift 25 mm up and down and lateral shift on the back 25mm left to right.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2007, 05:59:37 pm »

they state the 38schneider the
widest and the 45 rodenstock.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

HI Rehnniar,

Perhaps you missed a few? Fotoman is listing also 24/5.6 APO Digitar &
35/4.5 Digital APO Sironar. The one I could not find is 28HR.

Are we looking at the same page?

Regards
Danijela

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2007, 06:33:36 pm »

Well what would you think of this from China, the Fotoman Technical DMAX due March 07!

Description:
Multi Film Format: 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9, 6x12 via removeable film backs
Film Size: 120 & 220
Accepts many Digital Backs (Phase One, Leaf, Imacon, Jenoptik, Sinar)
Focus Method: Helical Focus Mount or Ground Glass
View Finder: 120 degree with Interchangeable Masks
Body Material: 6061 T2 Aluminum Alloy
Body Dimensions: TBA
Weight: TBA
Price: Forecast at approximately 2,700.00 USD

See more details here
http://www.openphotographyforums.com
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Frankly, first impression is that it looks to me like a gloomy clone version based on the Horseman Cameras. I can't say much since I am not interested in Horseman either, apart from their stereo camera based on the Xpan body, unfortunately there are priorities.

Is this up to standards needed for architecture, I have no idea, but this is worth looking at. Certainly this opens up new possibilities.

Asher Kelman

[a href=\"http://www.openphotographyforums.com]http://www.openphotographyforums.com[/url]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100551\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh, first time I saw 8x10 that you could walk with like a snapshot camera, I was excited, so I am all for supporting their enthusiasm and their goals. However, if the quality/craftsmanship is what I am after, they are not among the Top 5 on my list.

Thanks anyway
Danijela

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2007, 06:47:51 pm »

I have to say that I almost always confuse Rethmeier with Rehnniar and vise-verse.

So my apologies up front for any possible future inconvenience.

Regards

Danijela

mkravit

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2007, 07:00:40 pm »

That is exactly the kind of set-up I was looking for with Apo-Digitar 5.6/47mm XL decentered with the exception of the 24XL  in exchange for 28HR.

Any Experience with 24XL vs. 28HR on ALPA 12 SWA?
I have to admit that I really like the H3D especially because it is their 3rd H generation system, nice selection of lenses, It's new and it works. 

Is the problem with White Gain Correction going to be solved in the foreseeable future or else… ?

I am also excited about the Hy6 project but I already decided to give the advantage to H3D since
as I said, H3D is the 3rd Generation and Hy6 is not even available. Plus I feel like there is nothing to worry about with regards to Hy6, since it feels like they already have the whole Army of BETA testers waiting in que willing to put their trust and money on the line.
After all, It seems like All Roads Lead To Rome/P45+

Regards
Danijela
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100454\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

An architectural friend tested the 28 HR and rejected it for his use because of too much distortion at the edges. This may be something you wish to test for yourself, as I hate furthering hearsay.

Hassy indicates that these problems including the Custom White Calibration (Phase calls it LCC) will be working untethered within a few weeks. They say they are releasing Flexcolor 4.6.7 which will fix this.

The majority of the architectural shooters I know are using either the P45 or Aptus 75.

rethmeier

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2007, 10:04:35 pm »

The level of distortion of the 24XL and the 28HR is very similar according to the graphs.

The benefit of the 28HR :

Higher resolution (important for 33MP +39MP) and it's sharp at F4.5.
+ you have a little bit of shift,however it's expensive and heavy.

The 24XL needs to be stopped down to F11 to get optimum sharpness.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2007, 10:10:54 pm »

update :

I've seen the p25 and p30 back,
today I'll be seeing the aptus65 back....

cheers

pixjohn

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2007, 12:50:27 am »

This image photographed with a 24xl on a cambo wide DS shot with an aptus 75

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 08:31:48 pm by pixjohn »

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2007, 01:21:25 am »

I've been using a Cambo WDS with 35 and 47 digitars and a P25 back. While I would like to eventually upgrade to a P45, I'm quite happy with this combo. LCC is just another part of the workflow. No big deal, although I prefer to make calibrations as I shoot. Having a set of preset Lcc's doesn't work as well as making one one the spot.
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

rainer_v

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2007, 05:57:51 am »

An architectural friend tested the 28 HR and rejected it for his use because of too much distortion at the edges. This may be something you wish to test for yourself, as I hate furthering hearsay.

The majority of the architectural shooters I know are using either the P45 or Aptus 75.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i would not count too much about  majorities..... thinking in mc. donalds and co.
especially in architecture photography we see the beginning of digital use. lets watch how the things will go on. very short times are wides as the 24xl or the 28hr in the market available, as well as cameras as the alpa xy, the cambo ( with available lense boards! ) and the gottschalt. at least in germany still 90% of architecture shooters are working with film.

[attachment=1825:attachment]

[attachment=1826:attachment]
emotion22 and 28HR.
( no "lcc" or white reference shot was made. the second image is stitched, each  shot 10mm shift  in 30 degrees right+left up , f11 )
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 06:15:17 am by rehnniar »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

rainer_v

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2007, 11:06:03 am »

are you sure your friend returned the 28HR ? maybe he had the 28digitar,- this lense is a real lemon for distortion.
with the 28HR your comment or your friends exoerience simply dont make any sense.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2007, 06:18:31 pm »

I was told that 28HR will be delivered for testing by this Friday 16th of February  but I guess I misunderstood the email, now they say it’s actually next Friday 23rd of February. It would actually be good to have 24XL/28HR side by side.

I hate furthering hearsay.

I hear you, fair enough.

Hassy indicates that these problems including the Custom White Calibration (Phase calls it LCC) will be working untethered within a few weeks. They say they are releasing Flexcolor 4.6.7 which will fix this.

I received the email suggesting that Hasselblad will enable white gain corrections without tethering soon, since It is in the final stages of the process.  So I hope that this becomes active in less than 30 days. It is confirmed that it works but has not been enabled by the factory for users until the new release of the software.

I have been trying to answer my question so far, where does the H3D & Sinar eMotion75 fit in? and I can't give myself a fundamental answer. Hasselblad is barking but Hasselblad is ready to bite if it need be and they have a good reason for it, I am not sure how i feel about Sinar. I will say it again, if they succeed the Hy6 Trip, they could make the choice easier for every one of us providing there is no turbulence! like with the Leaf Issues etc..

Oh, one more question if I may. "I feel like I'm panicking now, not sure why, typical of a woman I guess."
How many cables do you need for H3D to work with ALPA 12SWA and if the answer is two or more, if you could elaborate more why?

Thank You
Danijela
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up