Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 107047 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #2140 on: November 05, 2021, 08:39:37 am »

Well, I'm travelling tomorrow to Turkey (against my better judgement) so I'll be able to post a feedback by early next week.

What I can already say though is that the paperwork and certification needed to board an aircraft are really detailed. PLF's (passenger locator forms), vax cerfication inc manufacturer and date, recent full 14-day travel history, next of kin, ID/passport verification (pre-boarding) - all done online and within 48 hours of departure. In the UK , one needs an additional 48 hour post-arrival PCR test, irrespective of vaccination status.

Memories of having turned up at airports 20 minutes before flight departures and the check-in desk being but a short distance to the boarding gate are fading fast.
Since 9-11 in the US you have to report to PSA airport security to get through two hours before the flight leaves.  I haven't flown since covid.  SO I don;t know if any new requirements adds to the two hours.  Maybe some others here know.  Have fun in Turkey.

Manoli

« Reply #2141 on: November 05, 2021, 09:21:15 am »

You don't have to travel to my country and I don't have to travel to yours. 

I really do not, unsurprisingly, follow your logic here.

You've been bleating about the damaging economic effects of national lockdown, 'bread-on-the-table' etc  for over a year. Here are the first steps in moving away from national lockdowns without vaccinations being 'mandated' - it is still up to the individual - and you're back on the whinge ?

Edit:
Which is 'my' country ?
I'm a national of three ; UK, Italy and Greece. My interest in health isn't limited by international borders and extends across the Atlantic (even as far as NJ, you included :) )
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 09:31:06 am by Manoli »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #2142 on: November 05, 2021, 10:06:31 am »

Pfizer has announced that it has developed an antiviral medication, taken orally, that significantly reduces the need for hospitalizaton and the risk of death from COVID-19.  The initial results of the clinical study to evaluate the drug were so promising that an independent expert review board recommended that the trial be ended early so participants infected by the SARS-CoV-2 virus who had received a placebo could be given the antiviral drug.

The scheduled interim analysis showed an 89% reduction in risk of COVID-19-related hospitalization or death from any cause compared to placebo in patients treated within three days of symptom onset (primary endpoint); 0.8% of patients who received PAXLOVID™ were hospitalized through Day 28 following randomization (3/389 hospitalized with no deaths), compared to 7.0% of patients who received placebo and were hospitalized or died (27/385 hospitalized with 7 subsequent deaths). The statistical significance of these results was high (p<0.0001). Similar reductions in COVID-19-related hospitalization or death were observed in patients treated within five days of symptom onset; 1.0% of patients who received PAXLOVID™ were hospitalized through Day 28 following randomization (6/607 hospitalized, with no deaths), compared to 6.7% of patients who received a placebo (41/612 hospitalized with 10 subsequent deaths), with high statistical significance (p<0.0001). In the overall study population through Day 28, no deaths were reported in patients who received PAXLOVID™ as compared to 10 (1.6%) deaths in patients who received placebo. . . .

The primary analysis of the interim data set evaluated data from 1219 adults who were enrolled by September 29, 2021. At the time of the decision to stop recruiting patients, enrollment was at 70% of the 3,000 planned patients from clinical trial sites across North and South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia, with 45% of patients located in the United States. Enrolled individuals had a laboratory-confirmed diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection within a five-day period with mild to moderate symptoms and were required to have at least one characteristic or underlying medical condition associated with an increased risk of developing severe illness from COVID-19. Each patient was randomized (1:1) to receive PAXLOVID™ or placebo orally every 12 hours for five days.

Pfizer says it plans to submit data from the study to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to support a request for Emergency Use Authorization "as soon as possible."

The company is currently conducting a study of the efficacy and safety of the drug in preventing COVID-19 among adults who have been exposed to the coronavirus by an infected family member.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2143 on: November 05, 2021, 11:35:22 am »

I really do not, unsurprisingly, follow your logic here.

You've been bleating about the damaging economic effects of national lockdown, 'bread-on-the-table' etc  for over a year. Here are the first steps in moving away from national lockdowns without vaccinations being 'mandated' - it is still up to the individual - and you're back on the whinge ?

Edit:
Which is 'my' country ?
I'm a national of three ; UK, Italy and Greece. My interest in health isn't limited by international borders and extends across the Atlantic (even as far as NJ, you included :) )

I wish everyone would get vaccinated.  However, each country has different laws and culture.  Heck, in the USA, each of the 50 states sets its own rules.  It's hard to get a unanimous agreement. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2144 on: November 05, 2021, 11:37:55 am »

Pfizer has announced that it has developed an antiviral medication, taken orally, that significantly reduces the need for hospitalizaton and the risk of death from COVID-19.  The initial results of the clinical study to evaluate the drug were so promising that an independent expert review board recommended that the trial be ended early so participants infected by the SARS-CoV-2 virus who had received a placebo could be given the antiviral drug.

Pfizer says it plans to submit data from the study to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to support a request for Emergency Use Authorization "as soon as possible."

The company is currently conducting a study of the efficacy and safety of the drug in preventing COVID-19 among adults who have been exposed to the coronavirus by an infected family member.
I think that's great.  But will that work against more vaccinations as some people figure there's no point in taking the vaccine? They'll just take their chances and be cured with this new medicine.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2145 on: November 05, 2021, 11:44:56 am »

I think that's great.  But will that work against more vaccinations as some people figure there's no point in taking the vaccine? They'll just take their chances and be cured with this new medicine.

That is such a bizarre meshing of ideas. Why would people who are hesitant about vaccines be comfortable with this anti-viral drug? Why are they worried about the one but less about the other? They are both chemical compounds for which the avg joe has NO IDEA how they accomplish what they do in the body, so why favour one over the other?  Such magical thinking, it boggles the mind.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2146 on: November 05, 2021, 12:04:41 pm »

That is such a bizarre meshing of ideas. Why would people who are hesitant about vaccines be comfortable with this anti-viral drug? Why are they worried about the one but less about the other? They are both chemical compounds for which the avg joe has NO IDEA how they accomplish what they do in the body, so why favour one over the other?  Such magical thinking, it boggles the mind.

Why are you asking me?  Ask them.  :)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2147 on: November 05, 2021, 12:54:52 pm »

Why are you asking me?  Ask them.  :)

I wasn't asking you, it's just your phrase was the lead-in.
--
Robert

Manoli

« Reply #2148 on: November 05, 2021, 01:19:33 pm »

Have fun in Turkey.

Than you, but some of us have to work!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2149 on: November 06, 2021, 06:15:48 pm »

Should we mandate vaccines?  Are these rules constitutional?

"The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is giving employers with more than 100 employees a Jan. 4 deadline to comply with President Biden's COVID-19 vaccine mandate and threatening thousands of dollars in fines for defiant businesses, according to a fact sheet released by the White House Thursday.

The OSHA rule is expected to be immediately challenged in court by Republican states and some business groups.

Separate from OSHA, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services is issuing a rule to require health care workers in facilities participating in Medicare and Medicaid be fully vaccinated. The CMS rule will also go into effect Jan. 4 and will cover more than 17 million workers at approximately 76,000 health care facilities nationwide.

Unlike the OSHA rule, the CMS rule affecting health care workers does not allow for a testing alternative to vaccination. The CMS rule does allow for medical and religious exemptions."
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/osha-vaccine-mandate-employers-jan-4-deadline-fines

The federal appeals court has just held up this Biden vaccination mandate.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2150 on: November 09, 2021, 11:27:46 am »

Early on in this saga, in the days before Covid vaccine, I read rumours that people who had been taking flu shots over the years had some immune advantage over those that didn't. Has anyone seen any follow-up to this? Any data pointing one way or the other?
--
Robert

chez

« Reply #2151 on: November 09, 2021, 02:47:51 pm »

Early on in this saga, in the days before Covid vaccine, I read rumours that people who had been taking flu shots over the years had some immune advantage over those that didn't. Has anyone seen any follow-up to this? Any data pointing one way or the other?

I wonder what percentage of anti vaxxers also do not take the yearly flu shot. I bet there's a high correlation.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2152 on: November 09, 2021, 03:12:29 pm »

I wonder what percentage of anti vaxxers also do not take the yearly flu shot. I bet there's a high correlation.
Most Americans don't get the flu shots, anti-vaxxer or not.  Here are statistics for 2010 to 2017. There may be later data for more recent years.   This year was the first year in about ten that I took the flu shot because my daughter is giving birth and asked that we get it for the baby.   I'm scheduled for the Moderna Covid booster on Nov 17th at the Walgreens pharmacy.  I can see why people skip the third shot.,  You have to fill out the form online, schedule an appointment and take time to go there.  A lot of people just can't be bothered.

The percentage of vaccinated adults each year has fluctuated, reaching a high of 43.6% in 2014 and a low of 37.1% in 2017, the most recent year with available data.

"Depending on the specific age groups, some are vaccinated more than others," said Dr. Pedro Piedra, a professor of molecular virology, microbiology and pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine. "Older adults generally have high vaccination coverage compared to the general public. Likewise for young children under 5 years of age, you’ll see vaccination coverage that is generally much better than that of the general healthy adult."

Vaccination coverage among adults over 65 has ranged from a high of 66.7% in 2014 to a low of 59.6% in 2017, staying above the 50% mark for the past 10 years.

The age group with the lowest percentage receiving flu shots is those between 18 and 49. Vaccination coverage for this group ranged from a high of 33.6% in 2016 to a low of 26.9% in 2017.
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/sep/25/michael-burgess/how-many-adults-get-flu-shots-each-year/

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2153 on: November 09, 2021, 03:38:11 pm »

Most Americans don't get the flu shots, anti-vaxxer or not.  Here are statistics for 2010 to 2017. There may be later data for more recent years.   This year was the first year in about ten that I took the flu shot because my daughter is giving birth and asked that we get it for the baby.   I'm scheduled for the Moderna Covid booster on Nov 17th at the Walgreens pharmacy.  I can see why people skip the third shot.,  You have to fill out the form online, schedule an appointment and take time to go there.  A lot of people just can't be bothered.

The percentage of vaccinated adults each year has fluctuated, reaching a high of 43.6% in 2014 and a low of 37.1% in 2017, the most recent year with available data.

"Depending on the specific age groups, some are vaccinated more than others," said Dr. Pedro Piedra, a professor of molecular virology, microbiology and pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine. "Older adults generally have high vaccination coverage compared to the general public. Likewise for young children under 5 years of age, you’ll see vaccination coverage that is generally much better than that of the general healthy adult."

Vaccination coverage among adults over 65 has ranged from a high of 66.7% in 2014 to a low of 59.6% in 2017, staying above the 50% mark for the past 10 years.

The age group with the lowest percentage receiving flu shots is those between 18 and 49. Vaccination coverage for this group ranged from a high of 33.6% in 2016 to a low of 26.9% in 2017.
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/sep/25/michael-burgess/how-many-adults-get-flu-shots-each-year/

4 year old stats especialy in this context are meaningless. There is a good chance that the latest flu stats look very different.

chez

« Reply #2155 on: November 09, 2021, 08:21:57 pm »

Well given a COVID vaccination rate of 58%…that’s in the ballpark.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2156 on: November 13, 2021, 04:03:56 pm »

Should we mandate vaccines?  Are these rules constitutional?

"The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is giving employers with more than 100 employees a Jan. 4 deadline to comply with President Biden's COVID-19 vaccine mandate and threatening thousands of dollars in fines for defiant businesses, according to a fact sheet released by the White House Thursday.

The OSHA rule is expected to be immediately challenged in court by Republican states and some business groups.

Separate from OSHA, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services is issuing a rule to require health care workers in facilities participating in Medicare and Medicaid be fully vaccinated. The CMS rule will also go into effect Jan. 4 and will cover more than 17 million workers at approximately 76,000 health care facilities nationwide.

Unlike the OSHA rule, the CMS rule affecting health care workers does not allow for a testing alternative to vaccination. The CMS rule does allow for medical and religious exemptions."
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/osha-vaccine-mandate-employers-jan-4-deadline-fines

The US Appeals Court has held up Biden's order for vaccinations for workers.

Federal appeals court calls Biden vaccine mandate ‘fatally flawed’ and ‘staggeringly overbroad’
A federal appeals court has called President Joe Biden’s vaccine and testing requirements for private businesses “fatally flawed” and “staggeringly overbroad,” arguing that the requirements likely exceed the authority of the federal government and raise “serious constitutional concerns.”

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, in an opinion issued Friday evening, reaffirmed its decision to press pause on the implementation of the requirements, in another sign that they may not survive judicial scrutiny.

The appellate court, considered one of the most conservative in the country, originally halted the requirements on Nov. 6 pending review, in response to challenges by the Republican attorneys general of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Utah, as well as several private companies.

While the court has not yet ruled on the constitutionality of the requirements, the three-judge panel made clear that the lawsuits seeking to overturn the mandates “are likely to succeed on the merits.” They criticized the requirements as “a one-size-fits-all sledgehammer that makes hardly any attempt to account for differences in workplaces (and workers).”
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/13/federal-appeals-court-calls-biden-vaccine-mandate-fatally-flawed-and-staggeringly-overbroad-.html

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2157 on: November 17, 2021, 04:36:56 am »

Wisconsin health officials recommend that hunters should wear a mask while handling deer carcass and submit deer head for covid testing.

While DHS said there is no evidence wildlife, including white-tailed deer, are a source of COVID-19 illness for people in the U.S, the recent findings caused the agency to expand its recommendations to hunters in advance of the start of the gun deer hunting season Saturday.

The list includes three new measures: wearing a mask while field dressing deer; limit cutting into and handling the deer's lungs, throat, and mouth/nasal cavity to only what is necessary (for example, submitting a head for CWD testing); and if you are immunocompromised, consider asking for assistance with carcass processing and handling.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2021/11/16/wisconsin-hunters-mask-around-deer-due-covid/8643850002/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2158 on: November 17, 2021, 02:17:39 pm »

Wisconsin health officials recommend that hunters should wear a mask while handling deer carcass and submit deer head for covid testing.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2021/11/16/wisconsin-hunters-mask-around-deer-due-covid/8643850002/
I think we should make the deer wear masks.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2159 on: November 17, 2021, 04:52:51 pm »

I think we should make the deer wear masks.
And practice social distancing.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 153   Go Up