Regardless of what we (the people, including all those ex/former/retired experts) wish for, or think will happen, I think SCOTUS is facing some incredibly significant questions that they will, eventually, have to answer:
1. Is the (any) President above the law? In my opinion, the most interesting aspect of this is, if they agree (which I don't think they will) a President is above the law, they then render themselves moot, as future Presidents can/will ignore the decrees of SCOTUS with impunity. Their decision on this will likely reflect their desire to remain pertinent, and powerful.
2. Can a state exempt anyone from competing in a Federal election, especially over an allegation which has yet to be proven in any legal process? Although I think Trump should be disqualified, I am leery of seeing him disqualified absent necessary legal proof. I also think, as much as some SCOTUS members wish more power divested to the states, that should any state hold the right to disqualify, the decisions by all states will be more based on the political bent of that state, rather than any legal merits (as we now witness in many arenas, even up to the halls of Congress).
3. Did Trump break any law regarding his (mis)handling of classified documents and, regardless whether he followed protocol, can a President declassify anything at any time? I think this one will be the easiest for SCOTUS.
I think SCOTUS will do their best to delay these decisions as long as they can, and I doubt, ultimately, that it will explicitly answer all the questions, anyway.
Apart from the, significant, consequences of these things, I find all this latest stuff quite fascinating.