Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 471038 times)

Frans Waterlander

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #14600 on: June 29, 2022, 07:40:30 pm »

Facts no. Your fantasies indeed.
You have this odd repetitive habit of asking questions of others, when your posting history and agenda show/prove, you have no desire or ability to accept any answer. No need to ask.
So, ~250,000 were not arrested along the border in May? The CBP is lying?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14601 on: June 29, 2022, 07:44:51 pm »

So, ~250,000 were not arrested along the border in May? The CBP is lying?
They are not, you are.
Let me illustrate how one sentence can be factual and a big fat lie:
"Frans Waterlander is a carbon-based animal who is the greatest photographer this website has ever seen".
The first part of the sentence is true. The 2nd part of the sentence has multiple factless lies including the part about what this website has seen of your 'photography'.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TechTalk

« Reply #14602 on: June 29, 2022, 07:46:29 pm »

Like most things in life, there are many variable factors that drive mass migration. People don't typically leave their homes and risk their lives unless there is something driving them to flee from life in their own country. Some of those factors include: political, economic, and humanitarian crises. Poverty, disease, crime, violence, and corruption all motivate people to flee their home countries.

Because of these variables and a great many others, statistic will vary up and down rather dramatically at times. None of that matters to those that only see political enemies to blame for every ill. It does serve to keep them busy on forums, social media, and TV, however.

* By the way... speaking of political crises. In case of another ugly mob attack on the Capitol, how difficult is it for a U.S. citizen to immigrate to live with our friends to the north in Canada?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 01:52:15 am by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #14603 on: June 29, 2022, 07:57:26 pm »

That chart is highly inaccurate.

Which part of the big bold letters which read "Note: 2021 figures are for October 2020-May 2021" did you not understand? It's directly above the citation of the source.

Or... did you just get all excited and start blurting things out again. You know you're supposed to take a nap after lunch to calm down.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 08:04:38 pm by TechTalk »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14604 on: June 29, 2022, 08:02:07 pm »

Which part of the big bold letters which read "Note: 2021 figures are for October 2020-May 2021" did you not understand.
Answer: ALL of it.

TechTalk

« Reply #14605 on: June 29, 2022, 08:29:56 pm »

What doesn't make sense is that the complaint seems to revolve (revolve as in another merry-go-round) around the statistics for high levels of arrest and detention. So, they don't want to see the Biden administration actively and aggressively pursuing arrests and detention?

There also seems to be zero acknowledgment of the fact that the root cause of mass migration is what's happening in the migrants' home country which causes them to leave suddenly. But, oversimplified narratives are the rule rather than the exception, just as it is with other complex issues.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 01:56:39 am by TechTalk »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14606 on: June 29, 2022, 09:24:32 pm »

Yes he did. Last month authorities at the southern border intercepted ~250,000 people illegally crossing the border and the they estimate ~50,000 got across the border illegally and evaded the authorities. That's a floodgate in any reasonable person's book. And he flies thousands upon thousands of those illegals secretly across the country every month. Floodgate anyone?

Geez, you need at least that many to make up for Covid losses. ;)
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14607 on: June 29, 2022, 09:30:30 pm »

--
Robert

TechTalk

« Reply #14608 on: June 29, 2022, 09:43:52 pm »

Commentary about Hutchison's testimony from Politico https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/06/28/the-effing-president-gets-his-comeuppance-00042998.

Thanks! I'll just quote the ending...

Thanks to Trump’s superpower of shamelessness — and top Republicans incorrectly dismissing Hutchinson’s words as hearsay — these new revelations won’t stick unless we break the spell he has held over the nation for so long.

Hutchinson’s testimony won’t be potent enough on its own to undo the Trump hex — it was just an afternoon interview on afternoon television, and Trump has weathered worse. But coming as it does from a White House insider and loyalist who worked only a 10-second walk from the Oval Office and who appears to be a credible witness, the session damaged the Trump edifice in a way that a thousand op-eds and a hundred political speeches couldn’t. Without any apparent animus or any theatrics, Hutchinson artfully sketched the portrait many of us hold in our mind’s eye of the former president: A belligerent oaf who cares for nothing but himself; a porcupinal blowhard who will do anything to maintain power; and a mess-making child who breaks things when he doesn’t get his way and leaves us to clean up after him.

TechTalk

« Reply #14609 on: June 29, 2022, 09:54:21 pm »

From the Where Have I Heard These Before Department...

Remember the Six Ds... Downplay, Deny, Deflect, Distract, Delude, Disregard

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 09:57:33 pm by TechTalk »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14610 on: June 30, 2022, 01:56:02 am »

That's funny.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14611 on: June 30, 2022, 08:48:31 am »

That's funny.
The irony of that statement lost on Alan.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #14612 on: June 30, 2022, 09:39:51 am »

So, you are or are not disputing the facts?

I don't think those facts are indispute, it's what they mean. If all these people were arrested then they didn't get in, right? And the US has no control over who arrives at the border trying to get in. If you have any numbers on how many evade CBP and are now in the country illegally, that might be of interest.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14613 on: June 30, 2022, 09:48:11 am »

I am wondering about something in US politics that puzzles me and that's the implicit role of spouses.

One example is Clarence Thomas's wife Ginny. It has been alleged that she acted in ways that some people don't like. Who cares? Why is that important? My understanding is that she doesn't hold office, does not have an appointment, so that if she wants to engage in political activities, isn't that her business? Maybe some of her beliefs are unseemly and one may or may agree with them, but why is her behaviour any more important than your next door neighbour's? It seems to me that the only reason she has attracted any public attention is because someone decided to give her some attention. The revelations might be interesting in the context of a nonfiction book but why attribute to her any official importance?

I see this to be especially the case regrading the wives of Presidents and Vice-Presidents, although less so in the latter. Nobody votes for the spouse, people vote for the candidate. Who cares about her/him and why is she/he expected to have an official role at all? The Prime Ministers in Canada have all been married (mostly) and I could not care less what their spouses do for a living or what their political beliefs are (were). I don't see why I should care, they no official role, although maybe an occasional ceremonial one.

This seems to me like one of those "traditions" that have caught on for no good reason. It's politics, not an episode of the Waltons.
--
Robert

Peter McLennan

« Reply #14614 on: June 30, 2022, 10:09:07 am »

and are you disputing that they disperse thousands each month across the US?

Why?  Why are they “dispersing” them? 

And to where?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14615 on: June 30, 2022, 10:24:01 am »

I don't think those facts are indispute, it's what they mean. If all these people were arrested then they didn't get in, right? And the US has no control over who arrives at the border trying to get in. If you have any numbers on how many evade CBP and are now in the country illegally, that might be of interest.
The number of illegals that have sneaked in has gone up multifold.  Drugs have increased as well as Mexican gangs getting involved.  The 50+ deaths in that trailer are all part of the lax rules Biden imposed, the stopping of the construction of the wall, and other processes that were in effect to keep down illegal immigration.  People are coming up in droves because Biden's looking the other way.  These illegals see that.  They're not stupid. 

Once they get here, and some are already criminals and drug smugglers, they become a huge social burden on local communities.  They become a tax burden taking resources that cannot be used for our own poor and sick.  It's an insult to our citizens and to the million immigrants who come to America legally every year following our laws.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14616 on: June 30, 2022, 10:34:37 am »

I am wondering about something in US politics that puzzles me and that's the implicit role of spouses.

One example is Clarence Thomas's wife Ginny. It has been alleged that she acted in ways that some people don't like. Who cares? Why is that important? My understanding is that she doesn't hold office, does not have an appointment, so that if she wants to engage in political activities, isn't that her business? Maybe some of her beliefs are unseemly and one may or may agree with them, but why is her behaviour any more important than your next door neighbour's? It seems to me that the only reason she has attracted any public attention is because someone decided to give her some attention. The revelations might be interesting in the context of a nonfiction book but why attribute to her any official importance?

I see this to be especially the case regrading the wives of Presidents and Vice-Presidents, although less so in the latter. Nobody votes for the spouse, people vote for the candidate. Who cares about her/him and why is she/he expected to have an official role at all? The Prime Ministers in Canada have all been married (mostly) and I could not care less what their spouses do for a living or what their political beliefs are (were). I don't see why I should care, they no official role, although maybe an occasional ceremonial one.

This seems to me like one of those "traditions" that have caught on for no good reason. It's politics, not an episode of the Waltons.
This is one of the few times we agree, Robert.  If the situation was reversed, and she was the wife of a Democrat selected justice, Democrats would be calling her attackers misogynistic, plain anti-woman, that it's none of anyone's business what an independently strong woman citizen believes and is active in doing.  It's her life and her husband, the justice, is certainly smart enough to not allow her beliefs to influence his in making constitutional decisions.

But everything in America is turned into politics and used as the tip of a spear to poke the other side.  It's just a lot of political noise. It's good that you see through it.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14617 on: June 30, 2022, 10:46:40 am »

Why?  Why are they “dispersing” them? 

And to where?
They cannot keep them all in the border states such as Texas.  So they're dispersed throughout the states.   Here is a list of where they send unaccompanied children who are released to sponsors usually family members. 
https://www.acf.hhs.gov/orr/grant-funding/unaccompanied-children-released-sponsors-state

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14618 on: June 30, 2022, 10:59:13 am »

Adults who are captured are held for a while and given a court appearance ticket.  Of course, most never appear subsequently in court and just disappear into the vast territory of the USA usually in Latino populated areas in big cities.  But many wind up in smaller towns as well that have a Latino community where they can disappear in the crowds never to be heard from again unless picked up for other reasons like other crimes, driving under the inflence, etc.   

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14619 on: June 30, 2022, 11:01:07 am »

One example is Clarence Thomas's wife Ginny. It has been alleged that she acted in ways that some people don't like. Who cares? Why is that important?
Here's why. First off, did what she did, (which is still under scrutiny), affect her husbands voting? Notice too his descent on releasing Trump's demand to injunct documents requested for the House Select Committee. That matters! Here's more and why for anyone interested in the facts:
https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-was-clarence-thomas-lone-dissenter-trump-jan-6-documents-1716895
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 11:29:19 am by digitaldog »
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 808   Go Up