Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466573 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #14220 on: June 01, 2022, 10:21:04 am »

That's several standard deviations away from anything resembling political debate, even über-partisan political debate. It will be interesting to see if she's re-elected when the time comes. I don't know when her term runs out.

Like every representative, her term runs out at the end of the next even numbered year.

Perhaps even funnier (and sadder) is when she referred to Nancy Pelosi's "Gazpacho police."

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #14221 on: June 01, 2022, 04:21:05 pm »

I think the "Gazpacho police" are somewhat greener than the "Mayonaise police."
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14222 on: June 03, 2022, 09:25:55 pm »

I'm posting this because I just saw it and it's good to be reminded of past bs, if only to better recognize it in future. This is an online rant about the nonsense that was peddled after last year's power failures in Texas due to that unexpected winter storm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmYvkCXXI4E. It's pretty funny.
--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14223 on: June 15, 2022, 12:42:23 pm »

Checking the oil

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14224 on: June 15, 2022, 01:05:00 pm »

Checking the oil
Also the output of (US) refineries and the number of them operating lately and also, the profits from oil companies. 

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/united-states-produces-more-oil-than-any-other-country-fact-check-russia-impact-on-gas-prices/65-7814c6e2-5437-4201-b021-face477e5462
The U.S. remained the largest producer of oil and gas in the world, producing over 4 billion barrels of crude oil in 2021. This was a dip from the peak in 2019, but still remains higher than any point prior to that year.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #14225 on: June 15, 2022, 04:27:49 pm »

I especially appreciated the comment about "Our dipsticks ... "
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

TechTalk

« Reply #14226 on: June 16, 2022, 07:20:25 pm »

In watching the January 6th congressional hearings, I'm reminded of the sickening disgust I felt watching the events of that day. I'm also reminded of having the same reaction and feelings for comments made here, and elsewhere, which tried to minimize and shift blame in the aftermath of the ugly and violent insurrection.

Some even tried to normalize the insurrection by comparing it to past protests, which turned into street riots; by blindly failing to recognize the significance of where and when this event took place, its purpose and level of violence, and the ultimate targets of their violent assault which were thankfully never reached. I suspect many of those who actively engaged in efforts to minimize, normalize, blame shift, deny, and deflect will do the same with any and all evidence generated by the hearings. The actions of the violent insurrectionists — and those complicit in trying to minimize those actions — are shameful, sad, and an ongoing threat that must not be ignored.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #14227 on: June 17, 2022, 01:21:38 pm »

I feel the same way with the hearings but I'm so glad they are happening. Even though the usual suspects (in politics and even right here on LuLa) will chime in to try and deflect or minimize what happened these hearings and the evidence they present will go into the historical record. Even if we don't get immediate vindication I hope this all serves as a reminder going forward and helps shape the future in a way that will avoid more of this. It all needs to be revealed. But some short term vindication would feel great on a personal level and I hope some justice gets dished out from all of this.
-MattB

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14228 on: June 17, 2022, 06:08:22 pm »

I feel the same way with the hearings but I'm so glad they are happening. Even though the usual suspects (in politics and even right here on LuLa) will chime in to try and deflect or minimize what happened these hearings and the evidence they present will go into the historical record. Even if we don't get immediate vindication I hope this all serves as a reminder going forward and helps shape the future in a way that will avoid more of this. It all needs to be revealed. But some short term vindication would feel great on a personal level and I hope some justice gets dished out from all of this.

Watching these proceedings from outside US, it seems baffling why it takes so long to convict all the insurrectionists, incl. the top inciter.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #14229 on: June 17, 2022, 06:25:17 pm »

Watching these proceedings from outside US, it seems baffling why it takes so long to convict all the insurrectionists, incl. the top inciter.

It's baffling from here too.
-MattB

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #14230 on: June 17, 2022, 07:01:06 pm »

(1) U.S. constitutional safeguards to protect against politically-inspired prosecutions as well as rigorous statutory requirements to prove the existence of specific crimes.  (2) Federal Justice Department policy against initiating criminal prosecutions unless the prosecuting lawyers (almost always career federal employees) believe they can not only meet minimal evidentiary requirements, but have collected what is likely to be proof "beyond reasonable doubt."  (3) In the case to the "top inciter," my guess is that the U.S. Attorney General, Marrick Garland, intent on restoring the reputation for integrity of the Justice Department following the Trump Administration, is wary about the appearance of charging a former president in the absence of overwhelming evidence of criminal liability.  (Trump, however, may be liable for criminal prosecution in one or more of the states, where the constitutional safeguards apply but the statutory requirements and policies may differ.)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14231 on: June 18, 2022, 06:07:25 am »

In watching the January 6th congressional hearings, I'm reminded of the sickening disgust I felt watching the events of that day. I'm also reminded of having the same reaction and feelings for comments made here, and elsewhere, which tried to minimize and shift blame in the aftermath of the ugly and violent insurrection.

Some even tried to normalize the insurrection by comparing it to past protests, which turned into street riots; by blindly failing to recognize the significance of where and when this event took place, its purpose and level of violence, and the ultimate targets of their violent assault which were thankfully never reached. I suspect many of those who actively engaged in efforts to minimize, normalize, blame shift, deny, and deflect will do the same with any and all evidence generated by the hearings. The actions of the violent insurrectionists — and those complicit in trying to minimize those actions — are shameful, sad, and an ongoing threat that must not be ignored.

Agreed, but the sideshow spectacle of the Big Lie continues, truly baffling. The Trumpster himself just keeps doubling down, a one-trick pony. At this point his antics and those of some acolytes, MJT, Tuck on TV, etc., seem to belong more in the realm of psychiatric care than anything. I get an icky feeling the rare time I listen to it, incredible to me that it has any traction.

The more worrying aspect is that they have been actively placing fellow travellers in positions in state legislatures that have some control over the disposition of electoral votes. It sounds like to me as if they are being placed there to overrule voters' wishes in the future. Isn't that treason, sort of? At the very least, it goes agains the basic idea, doesn't it? Is this threat exaggerated because if it isn't shouldn't people be more worried?
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14232 on: June 18, 2022, 07:14:06 am »

(1) U.S. constitutional safeguards to protect against politically-inspired prosecutions as well as rigorous statutory requirements to prove the existence of specific crimes.  (2) Federal Justice Department policy against initiating criminal prosecutions unless the prosecuting lawyers (almost always career federal employees) believe they can not only meet minimal evidentiary requirements, but have collected what is likely to be proof "beyond reasonable doubt."  (3) In the case to the "top inciter," my guess is that the U.S. Attorney General, Marrick Garland, intent on restoring the reputation for integrity of the Justice Department following the Trump Administration, is wary about the appearance of charging a former president in the absence of overwhelming evidence of criminal liability.  (Trump, however, may be liable for criminal prosecution in one or more of the states, where the constitutional safeguards apply but the statutory requirements and policies may differ.)
That did not stop the Mueller investigation or the two impeachments, all politically motivated.  I suspect Garland is still steaming that he lost the Supreme Court appointment under Trump.  So indicting him would be a very tasty cold dessert. It also would take the focus off of inflation, high oil prices, illegal immigration, crime, the developing recession, and other big negative issues that may bury the Democrats in the November midterms.  They'd rather be distracting the voters by discussing Jan 6th.  The question is whether the general electorate will be fooled this time by a political diversion about Trump. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14233 on: June 18, 2022, 07:47:11 am »

That did not stop the Mueller investigation or the two impeachments, all politically motivated.  I suspect Garland is still steaming that he lost the Supreme Court appointment under Trump. 
Idiotic. One has nothing to do with the other but of course, from the lazy thinking of the Trumpworld mindset, you have to use the "nothing to see here boys, look at Mueller (or the price of gas, or inflation") as a diversion to what was a coordinated attack by the president to overthrow the election at every turn and illegally at that.
Obviously like so many discussions here, where your "peers" present facts and data, you either didn't watch the hearings or did and didn't understand what you saw!
You suspect Garland is still steaming means once again, you're assuming and distracting from what he has a duty to do and better do; prosecute Trump for the many crimes he's committed in this coup. 
So indicting him would be a very tasty cold dessert.
Some of us call this the rule of law.
It also would take the focus off of inflation, high oil prices, illegal immigration, crime, the developing recession, and other big negative issues that may bury the Democrats in the November midterms. 
Again as outlined and expected from the tiny mindset, idiotic.
The question is whether the general electorate will be fooled this time by a political diversion about Trump.
It is obvious to anyone but the idiots who has been fooled here and even an insurrection on the 6th can't open their lazy eyes Alan.

He's back. Just when the bear pit was free from the tiny mindset of Trumpworld stupidy for months, we will now have to hear endless BS as illustrated today at 5:15:06. Happy boys?
"Stupidity is always amazing, no matter how used to it you become."-Jean Cocteau
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14234 on: June 18, 2022, 08:20:30 am »

It seems the polar bear has expanded from 19 to 20 groups around the world and the news of their demise due to climate change is more than slightly overblown.  Just as I predicted.

https://gizmodo.com/greeland-polar-bears-isolated-population-1849078334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WY7tnyLh_A

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #14235 on: June 18, 2022, 09:27:49 am »

I suspect Garland is still steaming that he lost the Supreme Court appointment under Trump.

Merrick Garland's nomination to serve as a justice of the Supreme Court was blocked during the final year of the Obama Administration because the senate Republican leader, Mitch McConnell, refused to schedule it for a vote.  Nothing to do with Trump.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14236 on: June 18, 2022, 09:56:09 am »

Merrick Garland's nomination to serve as a justice of the Supreme Court was blocked during the final year of the Obama Administration because the senate Republican leader, Mitch McConnell, refused to schedule it for a vote.  Nothing to do with Trump.
You're correct. Of course, Trump approved the next nomination, his "replacement".  So he's still probably pissed.  I would be.

TechTalk

« Reply #14237 on: June 18, 2022, 01:21:30 pm »

He's back.

It doesn't matter to me. I've given up trying to drill in places where all you will ever find after drilling thru one layer of rock is another layer of rock.

TechTalk

« Reply #14238 on: June 18, 2022, 01:49:03 pm »

...Even though the usual suspects (in politics and even right here on LuLa) will chime in to try and deflect or minimize what happened these hearings and the evidence they present will go into the historical record...

Exactly right. Creating and preserving a historical record thru the voluminous interviews, depositions, testimony, and gathering of evidence, which preceded the hearings and continues out of the spotlight, is extremely important.

Future generations will study the present insanity and hopefully learn from it. Demagogues, wanna-be dictators, and sociopaths in search of adoration and power haven't gone away and will appear again in the future.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14239 on: June 18, 2022, 06:00:00 pm »

It seems the polar bear has expanded from 19 to 20 groups around the world and the news of their demise due to climate change is more than slightly overblown.  Just as I predicted.

https://gizmodo.com/greeland-polar-bears-isolated-population-1849078334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WY7tnyLh_A

Those Greenland polar bears are not a new expanded group, they have been around for at least a few hundred years (as stated in that article). What has been expanded is just the official knowledge that they live there. By the way, what kind of food do those bears find on the glaciers?
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 808   Go Up