Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466491 times)

Frans Waterlander

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #13780 on: January 24, 2022, 07:29:58 pm »

"When a man's knowledge is not in order, the more of it he has the greater will be his confusion."- Herbert Spencer
No, you can't conceal your lack of understanding the finer nuances of the market with some brash talk and yet another irrelevant quotation. Grow up, man up and admit when you're wrong.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13781 on: January 24, 2022, 07:31:39 pm »

My misunderstanding of the markets? That's rich. You refer to Barron's clickbait without having the foggiest idea that it is heavily overblown and that is my misunderstanding? Come on, get a life.

Again, I have to agree with Frans. Nowadays, many financial articles, even at Barron, Bloomberg, Motley Fool or Seeking Alpha are either a day too late, or written by clueless writers paid by the word count rather than by their expertise. I follow closely perhaps a dozen companies and get a much better information from some youtubers who research extensively a stock or two than from the so-called financial analysts who have to cover 30-50 companies, and don't understand any of them.  Not even mentioning Jim Cramer who flips his stock recommendations every other day.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #13782 on: January 24, 2022, 07:34:38 pm »

No, you can't conceal your lack of understanding the finer nuances of the market with some brash talk and yet another irrelevant quotation. Grow up, man up and admit when you're wrong.
Grow up and admit you can't make a photograph. Let alone take one.
You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” – Ansel Adams
Frans can do neither. At least zero proof he has.
Find another forum; this one is for photography. You don't belong here. But thanks again for the laugh.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13783 on: January 24, 2022, 07:43:36 pm »

Again, I have to agree with Frans. Nowadays, many financial articles, even at Barron, Bloomberg, Motley Fool or Seeking Alpha are either a day too late, or written by clueless writers paid by the word count rather than by their expertise.
Got no dog in this fight about Barron's or others; I've simply provided what they wrote about the market today. They are not the only financial news source who reported this today
Frans can't accept the headlines.That's all I posted. It wasn't a personal opinion of mine, simply an observation from Barrons. I neither agree nor disagree; tomorrow is another day.
Frans can't accept photography, on a site dedicated to photography or the other site dedicated to photography he posts mostly nonsense and all his problems with technology (there's a massive list of this anytime you wish to slog through his rants).
As you know, many of the sycophant(s) posting here will tell you when the market is up, that's all due to the last president and when down, it's all Biden's fault, going back full circle to the idiotic posts we see here daily in the Bear Pit. Frans has just added more, giving the other sycophant a rest. Nothing new, another day on the market, another day in the Bear Pit.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13784 on: January 24, 2022, 07:46:14 pm »

Grow up and admit you can't make a photograph. Let alone take one.
You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” – Ansel Adams
Frans can do neither. At least zero proof he has.
Find another forum; this one is for photography. You don't belong here. But thanks again for the laugh.

This forum is indeed for photography. However, you'll have to admit that in this particular thread we've seen more photographs of Donald Trump and copies of newspaper clippings than of close-up flowers or majestic mountains.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13785 on: January 24, 2022, 07:53:10 pm »

Got no dog in this fight about Barron's or others; I've simply provided what they wrote about the market today. They are not the only financial news source who reported this today

Andrew, I didn't aim it at you, just pointed out how shallow the mainstream media are in covering the events.
That Barron's clip talks about the market reversing the downward trend slightly, instead how volatile the trading was early in the day and in the last days. The situation is very unsettled now. Amazon was at one point today $1,000 lower than at its peak last July. Even the real experts can't predict the trends for the next few weeks or months. No wonder, the casual observers get confused.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 08:14:13 pm by LesPalenik »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13786 on: January 24, 2022, 07:54:18 pm »

This forum is indeed for photography. However, you'll have to admit that in this particular thread we've seen more photographs of Donald Trump and copies of newspaper clippings than of close-up flowers or majestic mountains.
Yup but none, anywhere from Frans, here or:
https://www.photo.net/2220857

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13787 on: January 24, 2022, 07:56:28 pm »

Yup but none, anywhere from Frans, here or:
https://www.photo.net/2220857

Maybe using a special invisible filter or requiring a secret password to get in?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13788 on: January 24, 2022, 08:05:14 pm »

If we look at the increased prices of gas, food and cars, they are all imported from US.
That's not how it works.  You purchase American and other foreign goods based on the value of the Canadian dollar in an exchange rate to the foreign currency and goods in that country.  If the American dollar devalues due to it's inflation, your dollar should become more valuable in exchange. You should be able to purchase American goods at the same Canadian price. If it's costing you more, that means your own inflation is devaluing the Canadian dollar as well.  If you want to know if that's happening in general, check the prices of Canadian goods.  If they're going up in cost, then you have inflation and devaluation as well.  Can't blame us.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13789 on: January 24, 2022, 08:14:01 pm »

You just don't get it. The 2020 elections were indeed fair and honest. The voting rights bill will not do away with voting regulations but will put in place national standards that will prevent the GOP from using the states' rights excuse to enact new rules that will reduce Dem turnout. What will the voting rights act do? It WILL NOT let non-citizens vote, or remove all ID requirements, or permit mail-in ballots sent after election day to be counted. It will (see the graphic):

If they were "fair and honest", how are they reducing Democratic turnout?  How are black people being stopped from voting?  Democrats argue that requiring ID's discriminates against blacks but not whites.  That's insulting blacks.  They're just as patriotic and capable as whites.  Who today doesn't have an ID?  Every country has a standard for voting.  ID's being able to prove you're a citizen, etc are normal requirements.  Democrats want to eliminate those reasonable and equal requirements for everyone so they can finagle, just like those candidates in Paterson NJ I described above.   

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13790 on: January 24, 2022, 08:18:45 pm »

That's not how it works.  You purchase American and other foreign goods based on the value of the Canadian dollar in an exchange rate to the foreign currency and goods in that country.  If the American dollar devalues due to it's inflation, your dollar should become more valuable in exchange. You should be able to purchase American goods at the same Canadian price. If it's costing you more, that means your own inflation is devaluing the Canadian dollar as well.  If you want to know if that's happening in general, check the prices of Canadian goods.  If they're going up in cost, then you have inflation and devaluation as well.  Can't blame us.  :)

That's true if I'm buying Canadian maple syrup. BTW, the maple syrup and honey are still a good value. But if I'm buying Florida oranges or a Tesla car, I have to pay more because of the inflated prices by US producers.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13791 on: January 24, 2022, 08:19:39 pm »

Maybe using a special invisible filter or requiring a secret password to get in?
Self published political fiction, no photos are his claim to “fame”. 😝

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13792 on: January 24, 2022, 08:23:49 pm »

I have to agree with Frans. Today's rather paltry positive change was just a minor correction from the previous weeks of almost continuous decline. The happy ending today was most likely caused by short squeeze, when the shortsellers had to cover their trades. It would be nice if it is a start of a sustained rally, but it well could be just a dead cat bounce.
Probably a dead cast bounce.  Everyone's worried that the Fed is going to tighten up.  It hasn't even started yet and the market is going down.  Once it starts for real, then you won't see recoveries like today.

The question is whether Powell has the guts to do what Chairman Volker did back in the 1970's to stop inflation.  If he does, we could have a depression as the markets and economy re-balance. 

PS, I think you have it backward. Don't the short sellers have to cover the shorts when the market goes up?  They want the market to go down which it was doing. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13793 on: January 24, 2022, 08:32:18 pm »

Probably a dead cast bounce.  Everyone's worried that the Fed is going to tighten up.  It hasn't even started yet and the market is going down.  Once it starts for real, then you won't see recoveries like today.

The question is whether Powell has the guts to do what Chairman Volker did back in the 1970's to stop inflation.  If he does, we could have a depression as the markets and economy re-balance. 

PS, I think you have it backward. Don't the short sellers have to cover the shorts when the market goes up?  They want the market to go down which it was doing.

Yes, short sellers have to cover when the market goes up. And that's what happened in the last hour of today's trading. I don't know what caused the reversal of the earlier drop, but I'm sure that without the short squeeze at the end of the day the stocks would have closed lower.   

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13794 on: January 24, 2022, 08:35:06 pm »

That's true if I'm buying Canadian maple syrup. BTW, the maple syrup and honey are still a good value. But if I'm buying Florida oranges or a Tesla car, I have to pay more because of the inflated prices by US producers.
Inflation is the expansion of the money supply within that country.  It devalues each individual unit of the currency in that country.  That causes an overall increase in the price of everything since each unit is worth less.  If the Canadian dollar is not being inflated, and the American dollar is, then the exchange rates between our countries make your dollar worth more.  So even though the cost of American goods goes up, that's in US dollars.  When you exchange the Canadian dollar for the US dollar you will get more American dollars so the cost of American goods cost the same.

Of course, there are temporary changes in the price of many things.  War in the Ukraine might cause a temporary increase in the cost of fuel.  A drought might raise the cost of food.  But these things are transient.  Also, if you're spending more money on let's say gasoline and food, then you have less money available to go on vacation.  So demand drops for airlines and hotels who lower their prices.  The general cost of living stays roughly the same.

If you have actual inflation, the printing of more money not equal to an increase in production, then the price of everything basically goes up because the value of the currency decreases.  It's not related to wars, or droughts, and usually is permanent.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13795 on: January 24, 2022, 08:43:15 pm »

Yes, short sellers have to cover when the market goes up. And that's what happened in the last hour of today's trading. I don't know what caused the reversal of the earlier drop, but I'm sure that without the short squeeze at the end of the day the stocks would have closed lower.   
For the people who already had shorts at the beginning of the day, they loved the decrease.  That's how they make money.  Only those who bought shorts at the bottom had problems when it reversed.  IF that's what caused the reversal, then that won't happen again. They'll be more careful next time and the market won't recover for that reason.    Has the Fed actually started reducing the $120 billion per month purchases of bonds yet or increased interest rates?  Watch the stock and real estate bloodbaths when that starts happening.   Cryptos and NFT's will become Beanie Babies. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13796 on: January 24, 2022, 09:11:37 pm »

For the people who already had shorts at the beginning of the day, they loved the decrease.  That's how they make money.  Only those who bought shorts at the bottom had problems when it reversed.  IF that's what caused the reversal, then that won't happen again. They'll be more careful next time and the market won't recover for that reason.    Has the Fed actually started reducing the $120 billion per month purchases of bonds yet or increased interest rates?  Watch the stock and real estate bloodbaths when that starts happening.   Cryptos and NFT's will become Beanie Babies.

Remember the Meet Kevin youtuber? Yesterday, he sold ALL his stocks ($20 million worth). If he had bought it back today around noon, he could have made $2 million. Or maybe he is waiting for even a deeper drop before he starts buying again. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13797 on: January 24, 2022, 09:28:46 pm »

Remember the Meet Kevin youtuber? Yesterday, he sold ALL his stocks ($20 million worth). If he had bought it back today around noon, he could have made $2 million. Or maybe he is waiting for even a deeper drop before he starts buying again. 
Smart move.  I think he's got plenty of time before he should consider getting back in.  The market is so overbought.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13798 on: January 24, 2022, 09:53:54 pm »

Inflation is the expansion of the money supply within that country.  It devalues each individual unit of the currency in that country.  That causes an overall increase in the price of everything since each unit is worth less.  If the Canadian dollar is not being inflated, and the American dollar is, then the exchange rates between our countries make your dollar worth more.  So even though the cost of American goods goes up, that's in US dollars.  When you exchange the Canadian dollar for the US dollar you will get more American dollars so the cost of American goods cost the same.

Of course, there are temporary changes in the price of many things.  War in the Ukraine might cause a temporary increase in the cost of fuel.  A drought might raise the cost of food.  But these things are transient.  Also, if you're spending more money on let's say gasoline and food, then you have less money available to go on vacation.  So demand drops for airlines and hotels who lower their prices.  The general cost of living stays roughly the same.

If you have actual inflation, the printing of more money not equal to an increase in production, then the price of everything basically goes up because the value of the currency decreases.  It's not related to wars, or droughts, and usually is permanent.

Alan, does it give you some kind of perverse pleasure to lecture us on the principles of economics?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13799 on: January 24, 2022, 10:17:22 pm »

To digress and address this: last week at White Sands NM. The dogs had a blast.
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 808   Go Up