Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466236 times)

faberryman

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #9980 on: April 13, 2021, 09:22:29 am »

You could have just said that you made a mistake and thanked me for correcting your original post.  I've made mistakes here.  We all make mistakes.

Honest to God, now you are complaining about me telling you that you were correct (in part). Is there nothing you won't complain about?

The reason I said what I said was that, while I acknowledged that you were correct that the law was struck down on separation of powers grounds, I did not agree with your assertion that it was a foregone conclusion that if the law were adopted by the city council, it would have been upheld on public health grounds. The court opinions point out that the law itself was problematic in several aspects regardless of who enacted it, including, as I mentioned, the fact that it banned sugary drinks in excess of 16 ounces in fast food restaurants but not convenience stores, and so did not accomplish its stated legislative purpose of preventing the public from consuming large sugary drinks. Why do you think other jurisdictions address the issue with excise taxes instead of portion caps? The current bill in the New York state senate is an excise tax bill and not a portion cap bill for good reason.

I guess instead of acknowledging that you were correct in part, and offering an explanation for why I thought you were incorrect in part, I could have just gotten all huffy about getting corrected and accused you of insulting me and calling me a liar, and then changed the subject. We have certainly seen that more than once around here.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:33:03 pm by faberryman »

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #9981 on: April 13, 2021, 11:56:22 am »

Congratulations! 500 pages of drivel and B$!

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9982 on: April 13, 2021, 12:24:18 pm »

Glad you’re enjoying all 500 pages.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9983 on: April 13, 2021, 12:43:26 pm »

And still no images anywhere from Frans to show....  :(
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9984 on: April 13, 2021, 01:20:24 pm »

And still no images anywhere from Frans to show....  :(

I'd like to see a system where for every unique image post you make, you get to make 1 political post.
I mostly only care what the actual photographers think anyway.
-MattB

James Clark

« Reply #9985 on: April 13, 2021, 01:29:20 pm »

I'd like to see a system where for every unique image post you make, you get to make 1 political post.

That would be fantastic :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9986 on: April 13, 2021, 02:27:52 pm »

Matt your pictures are great.  You should be allowed two posts for each one. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9987 on: April 13, 2021, 05:15:39 pm »

Wouldn't that imply (at least) 2 political posts per unique image?    ;D ;D ;D
Or optionally skip this thread.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9988 on: April 13, 2021, 09:30:31 pm »

Excellent idea!

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #9989 on: April 14, 2021, 12:28:11 am »

Three posts for a picture of Grand Tetons.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9990 on: April 14, 2021, 12:51:45 am »

I think weighting it will complicate it too much.
Post a shot, take a shot.  8)
-MattB

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #9991 on: April 14, 2021, 09:36:05 pm »

Well, at least that Kansas politician paid some price for his actions, https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article250567124.html. I was just thinking how lucky he was not to have also breached an air freshener regulation.
--
Robert

Manoli

« Reply #9992 on: April 15, 2021, 06:00:11 am »

A picture better than many thousands of words ...
Not a whiff of voter suppression. None, absolutely none.

[/url]

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9993 on: April 15, 2021, 08:24:24 am »

A picture better than many thousands of words ...
Not a whiff of voter suppression. None, absolutely none.

[/url]
Providing a chart without the link and article it came from and what it means is just distortion.  You're cherry-picking. From the chart, 46 of the 50 states including all Democrat run states like NJ, California, and New York, are suppressing the vote.  Is that what you're claiming?  In any case, what one person thinks is voter suppression another thinks is making sure the vote is valid.  You'd have to look at each state's rules to see what rules are being implemented.   

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9994 on: April 15, 2021, 09:11:51 am »

Chief Justice Roberts already backed off some of his beliefs by voting with the liberals. He did this to avoid packing the Supreme Court. He saw the handwriting on the wall a few years ago.  That was bad enough.

So now, if they pack, it will destroy any trust people have that's its decisions are just political. Its reputation will go into the toilet. I could see states ignoring their decisions with impunity. Governors will declare they will ignore its rulings and throw down the gauntlet. They'll stick their state's national guard at the border. Do we need another civil war?

HOUSE AND SENATE DEMOCRATS PLAN BILL TO ADD FOUR JUSTICES TO SUPREME COURT
https://theintercept.com/2021/04/14/house-and-senate-democrats-plan-bill-to-add-four-justices-to-supreme-court/

James Clark

« Reply #9995 on: April 15, 2021, 10:15:13 am »

Chief Justice Roberts already backed off some of his beliefs by voting with the liberals. He did this to avoid packing the Supreme Court. He saw the handwriting on the wall a few years ago.  That was bad enough.

So now, if they pack, it will destroy any trust people have that's its decisions are just political. Its reputation will go into the toilet. I could see states ignoring their decisions with impunity. Governors will declare they will ignore its rulings and throw down the gauntlet. They'll stick their state's national guard at the border. Do we need another civil war?

HOUSE AND SENATE DEMOCRATS PLAN BILL TO ADD FOUR JUSTICES TO SUPREME COURT
https://theintercept.com/2021/04/14/house-and-senate-democrats-plan-bill-to-add-four-justices-to-supreme-court/

I fail to see how this is any different that Republicans changing the sitting number down to 8 until they could put their own guy in? 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9996 on: April 15, 2021, 10:27:01 am »

Finally some good news. Weekly unemployment claims dropped about 200,000.

Initial jobless claims drop to fresh pandemic-era low of 576,000
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/weekly-jobless-claims-week-ended-april-10-2021-pandemic-175704861-180657616-183107044.html

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #9997 on: April 15, 2021, 10:28:43 am »

Chief Justice Roberts already backed off some of his beliefs by voting with the liberals. He did this to avoid packing the Supreme Court. ...

You keep stating your opinions as if they were fact. From what I understand, you're not happy with this guy because he didn't vote as conservatively as you'd like. But you know, he's a Supreme Court Justice, you're not, so maybe he had good reasons to vote the way he did. He certainly has access to more information than you do. We've seen many times on these pages how you deliberately choose to ignore information that others provide when it doesn't suit your agenda.

Since you take pride in being a "contrarian" and a "rebel" (btw, you should read The Rebel Sell by Joseph Heath and Andrew Potter to get a different perspective on so-called rebellion), maybe you should apply that to your own biases. Go against your own beliefs, see where it leads. I find it hard to believe that a Supreme Court Justice is being co-opted based on the sole evidence that you don't like his decisions. That's a lot that you're asking us to accept. There may be more to his thinking than that, don't you think.

In the past, your "analyzes" have left a lot to be desired, given how often they have been refuted by others who know about the subject than you. The fact that you double down instead of reconsidering your position on things is not a sign of constancy. Or rebellion.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9998 on: April 15, 2021, 10:34:48 am »

I fail to see how this is any different that Republicans changing the sitting number down to 8 until they could put their own guy in? 
Creating four new seats to pack the court is a huge change.   Replacing justices one by one as presidents change is a lot different.   Democrats wil get get their chance now.   Are they going to add for more seats when the Republicans win the next time?

The Court is going to lose all respect and authority.  Hopefully common sense will be discovered by our clowns in Washington,  on both sides.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #9999 on: April 15, 2021, 10:37:51 am »

Creating four new seats to pack the court is a huge change.   ...

When did that happen?
--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 808   Go Up