Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 809   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 472799 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #2600 on: November 26, 2020, 10:30:10 pm »

He also repeatedly promised to release his tax returns, but then reneged on his pledge to do so. Trump became the first major-party presidential nominee and president since 1976 to refuse to release his tax returns to the public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_returns_of_Donald_Trump

He has to leave the White House on Jan 20th regardless of whether he accepts the vote or not.  As long as he doesn't take the White House dishes with him as the Clintons did, it will work out. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2601 on: November 26, 2020, 10:39:18 pm »

As has been pointed out and discussed on this thread and previous ones, and also discussed just about everywhere it is possible to imagine, there is no one single perfect modality that can defend against this virus 100%. It is well understood and has been for probably decades that many defences have to be layered on top of each other to overcome the weaknesses of any one of them. And so now you're discovered some obscure piece of research, whose immediate real-world relevance may not be apparent, that there may be occasions when masks are not perfect.

Well no sh*t Sherlock.

If you had just presented it as an example of how masks can sometimes fail, as part of a wider discussion in how to use available defences, well that would be kind of ok. But instead you intro the post with "So face masks might not be effective." In what sense is this not trolling?
IF the study is accurate, then we should be concerned about mask efficacy.  One point of the article flagged that people may go into crowded situations thinking they're safe because they're wearing a mask, and they're not.  It won't protect them.  Rather than attacking me, you ought to check your behavior to see if you do these things and should take more precautions. Rather than trolling, I may have saved someone's life. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2602 on: November 26, 2020, 10:46:10 pm »

I have a pet junk theory of my own about that. I can best express it in religious terms. Many religions (maybe all of them, I'm no expert) believe, or more accurately, choose to believe that only they know the real truth and that other religions are false. (I'll ignore the inherent contradiction that more than one religion can have that belief, never mind that many do.) The trouble arises that if you believe that, you have to, (1) explain why other religions exist, (2) explain why the supreme being doesn't smite them, (3) explain why some of those religions thrive. These things must drive believers truly nuts, deep down. Imagine that you belong to some sect that is repeatedly predicting the end times but the end never comes. How often can you experience that disappointment without blowing a gasket?

Maybe it's like that in politics. There is a pervasive belief that communism was a bad idea. This is certainly justified, the record ain't great, is it? But it must rankle that those remaining communist (in name at least) regimes haven't ground themselves into the dust by now. I mean, Cuba has a high level of literacy, their medical facilities and graduates seem to have a good reputation. People from there seem to feel national pride. These things must seem incongruous to some, how can they be possible? Since it's such an evil place, shouldn't everything be truly awful. Of course real life is never what propaganda says it is. People can't stand contradictions, especially religious or political ones, because unlike important things like food or health or shelter, religion and politics are mostly about ego. That is: I believe "A" therefore "B" must be bad BECAUSE I believe "A". But if "B" happens to do some things right, this froths people up something fierce.

Now, I predict that someone will reply that I think communism is good or that if I think Cuba is such a great place why don't I go live there. I predict this because that's what people are like, I find. So let me answer those critics in advance, you know, just to save us all some time. Communism was and is bad, really bad. I don't think there's any need for me to provide links, do I? And the reason I don't want to move to Cuba is because I like cold weather, I can't imagine living in a warm climate for more than a few days.

I hope that ends the pointless Cuban tangent but we'll see.

Back to the Trump lawsuit watch. Hawaii next, maybe?

(Just having some fun here. Been a long day.)

Being patriotic and loving and defending one's country is not contradictory to hating the king and wanting freedom.

Just having fun.  :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2603 on: November 26, 2020, 10:51:15 pm »

Based on your posted data, there will be less vaccinations required to reach herd immunity.
”It is rude to silence a fool, and cruelty to let him go on.”
And yet.... The cruelty.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 01:05:36 am by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2604 on: November 26, 2020, 11:35:38 pm »

Based on your posted data, there will be less vaccinations required to reach herd immunity.  Especially when you consider that by the time the new year rolls around, after group gatherings for Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years',  and the vaccine is made available, there should be way over 100 million who have already been infected.  It might be a third of the population.  Another third and you have herd immunity according to many as they say that number is 60-70%. Thanks for confirming my points.

Not to forget population shrinkage by a few hundred thousands by the time the vaccine will be rolled out.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2605 on: November 27, 2020, 05:30:37 am »

I have no idea why you guys are so obsessed with Cuba.

Who is “you guys”? It was our lefty gentleman from the UK who brought it up.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2606 on: November 27, 2020, 07:18:14 am »

Venezuela up to their imported Cuban tricks.  I'm sure Biden's looking forward to dealing with this one.

6 U.S. Citgo Executives Convicted And Sentenced in Venezuela
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/27/939418623/six-u-s-citgo-executives-convicted-and-sentenced-in-venezuela

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2607 on: November 27, 2020, 07:34:19 am »

Venezuela up to their imported Cuban tricks.  I'm sure Biden's looking forward to dealing with this one.

6 U.S. Citgo Executives Convicted And Sentenced in Venezuela
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/27/939418623/six-u-s-citgo-executives-convicted-and-sentenced-in-venezuela

There is a hope for those six. Maduro might celebrate his comrade's win by releasing them.

jeremyrh

« Reply #2608 on: November 27, 2020, 08:34:11 am »

There is a hope for those six. Maduro might celebrate his comrade's win by releasing them.
Zzzzzz.....

faberryman

« Reply #2610 on: November 27, 2020, 08:48:09 am »

He has to leave the White House on Jan 20th regardless of whether he accepts the vote or not.  As long as he doesn't take the White House dishes with him as the Clintons did, it will work out.

You just can’t help yourself, can you? Again with the White House china.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:09:01 am by faberryman »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2611 on: November 27, 2020, 09:10:22 am »

Oh man, Venezuela now. I can't keep up!
--
Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #2612 on: November 27, 2020, 09:48:05 am »

PSA:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-immunity.html?fbclid=IwAR1RpSypSx6NMn-YyOokf3dPkQVfmpPDrzqGKOrM9AqHrhxB4POnTKw2W-4
May... Hilarious. Let's ”pray” it may ok? How many years has Covid-19 been around and how many years have humans been infected by it? Yeah, may indeed. Hint: the number 19 is kinda important. 🤔
Post next about the possibility that Big Foot may exist?

faberryman

« Reply #2613 on: November 27, 2020, 11:07:54 am »

Who is “you guys”?

Any of you who are discussing Cuba. The mere mention of Cuba seems to get some of you really riled up.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:51:04 am by faberryman »

faberryman

« Reply #2614 on: November 27, 2020, 11:20:57 am »

Being patriotic and loving and defending one's country is not contradictory to hating the king and wanting freedom.

What king are your referring to?

faberryman

« Reply #2615 on: November 27, 2020, 11:23:15 am »

IF the study is accurate, then we should be concerned about mask efficacy.  One point of the article flagged that people may go into crowded situations thinking they're safe because they're wearing a mask, and they're not.  It won't protect them.  Rather than attacking me, you ought to check your behavior to see if you do these things and should take more precautions. Rather than trolling, I may have saved someone's life.

At what efficacy would you abandon wearing a mask?

faberryman

« Reply #2616 on: November 27, 2020, 11:27:09 am »

Although I never suggested anyone should;t wear a mask, Armand complained that I posted it because I was an axe murderer or worse and didn't care about people who died, a knee jerk reaction of people on the left to accuse others of being heartless.  You're either a murderer, heartless or a racist if you don't agree with them.   

Is that an opinion or a statement of fact? If an opinion, you are certainly entitled to hold and post it without substantiation. If it is a statement of fact, a link to relevant supporting evidence would be appreciated. I searched LuLa for the words "axe murderer" and no posts except yours were returned. I originally thought it might be an exaggeration, but since you post so many extreme positions, I thought it better to ask so there was no misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:49:13 am by faberryman »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #2617 on: November 27, 2020, 12:03:20 pm »

What king are your referring to?
King Trump?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2618 on: November 27, 2020, 12:06:45 pm »

King Trump?

I thought it was Barron Trump.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #2619 on: November 27, 2020, 12:17:55 pm »

The King on his throne:
Mini desk. Tiny hands. Small soul’: Trump mocked for giving speech at little table
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 809   Go Up