Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466186 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #8040 on: February 23, 2021, 09:43:21 am »

Notably, high profile members of his own party, the media and his own (D) state AG are all raising very loud concerns.  Compare and contrast with Republicans who still have their noses up Trump's butt.
Didn't 7 Republican senators vote for impeachment?

James Clark

« Reply #8041 on: February 23, 2021, 09:46:40 am »

Didn't 7 Republican senators vote for impeachment?

Yup.  And look how the Republican "base" and the wingnut media reacted. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8042 on: February 23, 2021, 09:47:24 am »

There are plenty of Democrats trying to protect Cuomo.

James Clark

« Reply #8043 on: February 23, 2021, 10:28:47 am »

Where?

faberryman

« Reply #8044 on: February 23, 2021, 10:42:15 am »

I wasn't aware that Texans don't believe in climate change.

I have been known to use irony as a rhetorical device, usually so subtlety that nobody recognizes it. I dislike emoticons. They remind me of Foghorn Leghorn: "That's a joke, son."

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8045 on: February 23, 2021, 10:51:56 am »

Where?
You're right.  He has been losing Democrat support.  Apparently, Republicans are more loyal, or fearful, than Democrats.  So far.  I suspect, if Trump gets into legal problems like Cuomo now has, he'll find Republicans abandoning him as well.  I can picture them both getting together in the future to commiserate the reversal of their fortunes.   

faberryman

« Reply #8046 on: February 23, 2021, 10:52:40 am »

The first person who explains how Alan's post is responsive to James's post will win a copy of my latest financial self-help book How to Lose a Billion Dollars Investing in Bitcoin.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8047 on: February 23, 2021, 11:02:39 am »

The first person who explains how Alan's post is responsive to James's post will win a copy of my latest financial self-help book How to Lose a Billion Dollars Investing in Bitcoin.
My posts were responsive.  But I don't need your book. Good luck with it.  Hope you sell a lot of copies. 

faberryman

« Reply #8048 on: February 23, 2021, 11:13:11 am »

I suspect, if Trump gets into legal problems like Cuomo now has, he'll find Republicans abandoning him as well.

If?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8049 on: February 23, 2021, 11:23:27 am »

The administrator just got back to me.  Apparently, I, my township, and all of New Jersey are protected against what happened in Texas.  No sudden huge rate increases if something similar with power breakdowns occur.  Tomorrow, he's getting me the report from their advisors.
Well, the township business manager got back to me and his experts asured him we can't get stuck with a huge rate increase like what happened in Texas.  We're locked in.  Maybe Texas should check with our people here.  They seem to know how to handle these things better. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

faberryman

« Reply #8051 on: February 23, 2021, 11:47:58 am »

Earth One Alan:

Well, the township business manager got back to me and his experts asured him we can't get stuck with a huge rate increase like what happened in Texas.  We're locked in.  Maybe Texas should check with our people here.  They seem to know how to handle these things better.

Earth Two Alan:

Is the government responsible for the decisions we make in life?  Maybe they're making the wrong ones and we know better what we want better than they do, risk and all.

You just proved my point.  Never trust the government.  I keep saying that.  No one in government gives a damn except for themselves.

Incompetence in government is just as common as corruption.

Seems like yet another one of those "horns of a dilemma" thingies. This time which Alan to listen to.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8052 on: February 23, 2021, 12:04:14 pm »

Earth One Alan:

Earth Two Alan:

Seems like yet another one of those "horns of a dilemma" thingies. This time which Alan to listen to.

Like I said we have sharper business managers here in a small NJ township than in mighty Texas.  Plus, I didn't say everyone who worked for government was a dodo. I worked for government in NYC for 14 years.  The quality of my work was superb.  :)

faberryman

« Reply #8053 on: February 23, 2021, 12:41:01 pm »

It looks like some energy suppliers in New Jersey offer variable rates to their customers, so be careful.

https://www.state.nj.us/bpu/assistance/complaints/tpsvariablerates.shtml

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8054 on: February 23, 2021, 12:44:53 pm »

Those variable electrical rates remind me of the variable rate loans and the subprime disaster. What could go wrong?
-MattB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8055 on: February 23, 2021, 01:04:05 pm »

It looks like some energy suppliers in New Jersey offer variable rates to their customers, so be careful.

https://www.state.nj.us/bpu/assistance/complaints/tpsvariablerates.shtml
Well, I hope our township's business manager is right.  He thanked me for flagging the situation for him to review.  He's going to cover it in their March township council meeting that also gets published so all residents will become aware of our situation.  He says that our contract won't allow rises in rates.  We have a locked-in low rate that's guaranteed for a year.  They renegotiate every year with different suppliers getting bids from them.  The residents can dovetail off of their contract and get the same rates.  When I lived in NYC I was stuck with Con Ed and paid about twice as much as here. No negotiations allowed. 

Also, NJ's grid is connected to the whole northeast and parts of Canada, unlike Texas, so there's less chance of major interruptions.  Texas may not extend to other states.  But Texas is huge, bigger than the entire northeast covering many states.  Here's it against western Europe, y'all.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8056 on: February 23, 2021, 01:06:18 pm »

TX intentionally disconnected most of the state from other grids.  So much for the "free" market.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8057 on: February 23, 2021, 01:12:58 pm »

TX intentionally disconnected most of the state from other grids.  So much for the "free" market.

The article I read was that residents of Texas can select among over one hundred suppliers. That's pretty free.  Years ago, everyone was stuck with one supplier and one price, take it or leave it.  Then many states opened it up to the free market and allowed competition.  Competition brought prices down.  I save about 2-3 cents per KWH over the utility company that ordinarily serves my home. 

How do they do it in Canada where you live in BC?  How much do you pay?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8058 on: February 23, 2021, 01:16:24 pm »

As you can see from his last reply, he doesn't understand the facts you provided (indeed, all the options outside some areas like El Paso) are disconnected most of the state from other grids.
So much for free markets and reading comprehension.  :'(
Warning Will Robinson:
How do they do it in Canada where you live in BC?  How much do you pay?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

faberryman

« Reply #8059 on: February 23, 2021, 01:41:28 pm »

The article I read was that residents of Texas can select among over one hundred suppliers. That's pretty free.  Years ago, everyone was stuck with one supplier and one price, take it or leave it.  Then many states opened it up to the free market and allowed competition.  Competition brought prices down.  I save about 2-3 cents per KWH over the utility company that ordinarily serves my home.

I looked at some of the NJ fixed rate plans. Some lock you in for 6 months, some 12 months, and some 24 months. Within those three time periods, different suppliers have different fixed rates. The rates didn't seem all that far apart. I guess if you have a spreadsheet, you follow energy futures, and you are highly motivated, you can save some money. The next time I get my electric bill, I'll check my kWh usage and multiply that by 2-3 cents and see what I could save if I had a choice too.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:49:43 pm by faberryman »
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 808   Go Up