Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 472374 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #14140 on: February 27, 2022, 09:56:59 pm »

... democracide.

Thank you, new word for me.

This episode of the Making Sense podcast with Sam Harris is titled "The Future of American Democracy", https://www.samharris.org/podcasts/making-sense-episodes/274-the-future-of-american-democracy. It's not being a paywall and is a 2+ hour round table discussion with several Atlantic contributors with some "online audience" questions at the end. It's a sobering discussion and not optimistic. Roughly, the first half is an exposition of all the crap from the last several years and the second half is a discussion of what happens next.
--
Robert

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #14141 on: March 01, 2022, 10:40:12 am »

The video below from Vox was released a few days ago. It provides interesting insights into why such a large percentage of conservatives have rejected vaccination.

How American conservatives turned against the vaccine

https://www.youtube.com/How American conservatives turned against the vaccine

Thanks for that - very interesting.  I'm amazed that public health advice can be turned into a politics as if Covid cared about Republican or Democrat.  Especially as it would appear from the film that Republican voters were not in general more averse to vaccination before the pandemic.  But it was apparent that here on Lula in 2020 and 2021 so much of the discussion about Covid was polarised along political fault lines.

The end result is that Covid killed more Republicans than Democrats.

In the UK we have an expression "cutting off your own nose to spite your face" - which seems to fit the situation here.

Jim

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #14142 on: March 01, 2022, 11:01:26 am »

I told you what the problem was with our grade schools.  They're run by the government.  We have a great university system because they're private.  The way to fix grade schools is to have private schools. 

What government should do is give back tax money if you enroll your kid in a non-government school.  Where I live in NJ, it costs $19,000+ a year for a school kid.  Are they kidding? In a 32 kid class, that's $600,000.  That's ridiculous.  I'm sure private could do it for half that and do a better job.  If the parents got back let's say $12,000 of the $19,000, I'm sure they could find a school that would gladly accept that to teach their kid for a year.

Wow - it's very expensive in the US for state education.  Here in the UK per-pupil funding varies, depending on age and location, in state sector schools between £4,000 and £8,000 ($5,000 - $11,000). 

Private education is much more expensive - more like £15 - £20,000 ($20,000 - $27,000) a year per pupil (non-boarding). Of course parents paying for private education would not expect to have class sizes of 32 - about half that is the norm here.  Class size of 32 would be normal for state schools though.

Jim

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #14143 on: March 01, 2022, 05:48:16 pm »

Regarding inflation: a lot of blame has been put on the government spending a shitload of borrowed money, and surely that is part of it. But corporate greed also ;plays a part.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/27/business/economy/price-increases-inflation.html

The Times has a paywall but I believe they let nonsubscribers read a few articles each month free.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14144 on: March 10, 2022, 11:50:09 am »

Donald Trump was asked about the future of Ukraine. He started talking about windmills...

Forgeard: "What do you see happening next then? 'Cause it seems like the tensions are high. How does this all end? Is this going to be like a long-term thing? How do you see it unfolding"?

Trump: "Well, and I said this a long time ago, if this happens, we are playing right into their hands. Green energy. The windmills. They don't work. They're too expensive. They kill all the birds. They ruin your landscapes. And yet the environmentalists love the windmills. And I've been preaching this for years. The windmills. And I had them way down. But the windmills are the most expensive energy you can have. And they don't work. And by the way, they last a period of 10 years and by the time they start rusting and rotting all over the place, nobody ever takes them down. They just go on to the next piece of prairie or land and destroy that."
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #14145 on: March 10, 2022, 01:23:40 pm »

Donald Trump was asked about the future of Ukraine. He started talking about windmills...

Hardly the first time his neurons have shifted without warning into random-firing mode.  Coherent speech (or thought, for that matter) has never been his strong point.

Manoli

« Reply #14146 on: March 10, 2022, 01:31:37 pm »

Donald Trump was asked about the future of Ukraine. He started talking about ...

For the disbelievers , watch it 'verbatim'
https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1501733405423251456?s=21

" we talked about it, he definitely wanted Ukraine. loved Ukraine ..."

--
The voters of Arizona, Georgia, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania determined our fate.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14147 on: March 10, 2022, 03:28:27 pm »

A wide-ranging discussion about voting rights in the USA, https://www.npr.org/2022/02/17/1081522156/the-battle-for-voting-rights.

From the blurb on the landing page: "Michael Waldman, president of the Brennan Center for Justice, says lawmakers in 27 states are considering hundreds of bills designed to limit voting or undermine the integrity of the election process. We talk about the ongoing threat to our democracy and fair elections. Waldman's book is The Fight to Vote.".

I don't think Americans appreciate how bizarre many non-Americans find the election situation in the US. I have never heard of an election scandal, or jerry mandering, or vote denial in my adult life in Canada. It just never occurs to me or to anyone I know. Elections are conducted by an arm's length agency of the government, not by partisan flunkies. I have never heard of shenanigans like those in the US in provincial or municipal elections either. There have probably been some scandals over the last century and a half, but I don't know anyone who could point to one.

It's not rocket science, lots of countries have figured out how to run elections. Not only does the US system seem bizarre, but listening to the above podcast makes it sound as if there are lots of people actively trying to make it worse. You really need to stop this nonsense. Seriously.
--
Robert

Peter McLennan

« Reply #14148 on: March 12, 2022, 11:59:23 pm »

You really need to stop this nonsense. Seriously.

Like I said earlier.  "Democracide".  Well-organized, well funded and relentlessly pursued.

It's a slow motion train wreck of immense import to us all.  Yet Americans are focused on blaming Biden for gas prices.

TechTalk

« Reply #14149 on: March 15, 2022, 04:19:17 pm »

If you want to quote statistics, then you might want to look at the NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll which reports only 39% *37%, as of Feb 27 approval rate for Biden, while 56% said Biden's first year in office was a failure. What's more, 54% said he's not fulfilling his campaign promises, and 52% said he has done more to divide the country than unite it, despite uniting the country being a pillar of Biden's 2020 presidential run...

...EDIT:
Biden's approval number sank another 2% from a few days ago.

* [Les's 37% approval number and his assertion of a 2% drop appear to be references to a Quinnipiac poll with 37% approval from Feb. 25-27 compared to a Marist poll of 39% approval from Feb. 15-21.]

** [I'm sure that mixing numbers from two different polls without mentioning it was a simple oversight and unintentional.]

The timing on Les's post on Biden's approval rating, in one selected poll, was interesting. February 27th has been his low point to date in that single Marist poll as well as aggregated polls at 538. Since Les hasn't provided us with an update on the Marist poll which he recommended that we look at, I'll jump in to help out...

https://maristpoll.marist.edu/polls/npr-pbs-newshour-marist-national-poll-bounce-for-biden-following-state-of-the-union-march-2022

NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist National Poll: Bounce for Biden Following State of the Union, March 2022

Biden Gets Approval Rating Boost Post-State of the Union... Majority Approve of His Handling of Ukraine... Overwhelming Support for Economic Sanctions on Russia

Following a State of the Union address which underscored President Joe Biden’s commitment to promoting democracy across the world, the president enjoys a bounce in his handling of the crisis in Ukraine. His standing among the American people has also improved on the issues of the economy and the coronavirus pandemic. While Biden’s bounce is predominantly among his Democratic base, he also enjoys moderate gains among independents. Of note, rare, bipartisan consensus exists on the issue of sanctions levied against Russia. Most Americans, regardless of party, support these sanctions, and nearly seven in ten favor them even if it means higher energy prices domestically.

• A majority of Americans (52%) approve of how President Biden is handling the situation in Ukraine, up from 34% last week. 44% disapprove, down from 50% last time. Only 4% are unsure, down from 16%. A plurality of Americans (46%) says Biden’s approach to the conflict in Ukraine is on the mark. 43% say he is being too cautious, and only 6% think he is being too aggressive.

• 83% of Americans support the economic sanctions imposed against Russia by the United States and its allies. Americans are also willing to make sacrifices in support of Ukraine. 69% of Americans, including 58% of Republicans, say they support economic sanctions against Russia even if it results in higher energy prices in the United States.

• Americans express concern about the potential impact of the conflict between Russia and Ukraine. Nearly eight in ten Americans are concerned that Russia will wage cyberattacks in the United States (78%) and that a broader war will erupt in Europe (78%). Seven in ten (70%) worry that nuclear weapons will be used. Concern about the ramifications of the conflict in Ukraine cross party lines. Americans 45 or older (76%) are more likely than younger Americans (62%) to be concerned that nuclear weapons will be used.

• President Biden’s overall job approval rating is up 8 points, 47% from 39%, last week.

• Biden’s approval rating on his handling of the coronavirus is on an upswing. 55% approve, and 43% disapprove. Americans divided (47% approve to 49% disapprove) in late February. While Biden’s approval rating on the economy remains upside down (45% approve to 53% disapprove), his standing has improved. 36% of Americans previously approved while 58% disapproved.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14150 on: March 15, 2022, 04:27:29 pm »

Meanwhile, more political than Covid-19 related:
McClatchy reported:

Sen. Rand Paul introduced an amendment Monday that would eliminate Dr. Anthony Fauci’s position as the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, marking the latest escalation in his feud with the physician who gained national fame during the pandemic. Paul wants to scrap the singular role of NIAID director and replace it with three separate directors of newly created institutes: a National Institute of Allergic Diseases, a National Institute of Infectious Diseases, and a National Institute of Immunologic Diseases. Paul: “We’ve learned a lot over the past two years, but one lesson, in particular, is that no one person should be deemed “dictator-in-chief.”

This is one of those rare instances in which a Republican official from the party’s libertarian wing wants more government bureaucracy: Why have one director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, when we can create new federal institutes, each with their own Senate-confirmed directors?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TechTalk

« Reply #14151 on: March 15, 2022, 04:52:59 pm »

Whenever I've seen posts regarding Biden's poll numbers, they typically refer to the latest result from a single poll. The reason is transparent. They're poll shopping for the lowest number. For instance, Quinnipiac has, for whatever reason, been running anywhere from a few points to several points below the aggregate poll numbers for Biden's approval for awhile.

Any poll is simply a snapshot in time taken from one vantage point. They are limited by their sample size and are also reflective of whatever methodology is employed by the pollster. That's why I would never recommend, for anyone with a genuine interest, investing much confidence in a single poll's result.

With good poll aggregation, you get a larger sample size and a broader variety of methodology. Therefore you get a more panoramic view of the polling landscape. I believe it's generally a more accurate representation than a single poll can provide. I happen to like 538 as a poll aggregator, but there are others worth looking at as well.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating

The low point at 538 for Biden has been 40.4% on February 27th. It is now up to 42.9%. A 2.5% increase in the aggregate numbers compared to February 27th. But... poll numbers will constantly change. So, these are only trend indicators and can change as dramatically as the weather.

TechTalk

« Reply #14152 on: March 15, 2022, 05:06:59 pm »

McClatchy reported:

Sen. Rand Paul introduced an amendment Monday that would eliminate Dr. Anthony Fauci’s position as the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, marking the latest escalation in his feud with the physician who gained national fame during the pandemic. Paul wants to scrap the singular role of NIAID director and replace it with three separate directors of newly created institutes: a National Institute of Allergic Diseases, a National Institute of Infectious Diseases, and a National Institute of Immunologic Diseases. Paul: “We’ve learned a lot over the past two years, but one lesson, in particular, is that no one person should be deemed “dictator-in-chief.”

This is one of those rare instances in which a Republican official from the party’s libertarian wing wants more government bureaucracy: Why have one director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, when we can create new federal institutes, each with their own Senate-confirmed directors?

I saw the news about Rand Paul's ongoing ridiculous vendetta against Dr. Anthony Fauci. Rand Paul is an ophthalmologist, but he has extremely narrow and limited vision—a pathology induced by rigid ideology and which causes symptoms akin to rabies, including frequent foaming at the mouth.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14153 on: March 15, 2022, 05:53:17 pm »

I saw the news about Rand Paul's ongoing ridiculous vendetta against Dr. Anthony Fauci. Rand Paul is an ophthalmologist, but he has extremely narrow and limited vision—a pathology induced by rigid ideology and which causes symptoms akin to rabies, including frequent foaming at the mouth.

Remember the good ole days when people made fun of Italian politics?
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14154 on: March 15, 2022, 06:02:07 pm »

A lot can and has been said about conspiracy theory "whackadoodles" and the snake oil bs that permeates modern North American culture. But the "Info Wars" attacks on the parents from the Sandy Hook massacre is in a league all its own. Some even try to present it all as an exercise in First Amendment freedom. Hounding some of the parents into hiding is now a constitutional right?

Here's a podcast discussion of some of the shenanigans, https://www.npr.org/2022/03/09/1085455872/how-sandy-hook-ushered-in-a-new-era-of-conspiracies. It's an interview with the author of a recent book on the subject. Here's the blurb from the landing page, "In the years since the Sandy Hook shooting, the victims' families have endured relentless online abuse, stalking and personal threats. New York Times journalist Elizabeth Williamson examines how the conspiracy theories around the tragedy began — and how they changed America. Her book is Sandy Hook: An American Tragedy and the Battle for Truth."

This is one of the worst examples of repulsive human behaviour.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14155 on: March 23, 2022, 10:15:13 am »

I got a big kick out of this media storm, https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2022/03/22/mike-braun-indiana-us-senate-interracial-marriage-law-loving-virginia/7131891001/.

What struck me about it was that a law was needed to allow interracial marriage.
--
Robert

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #14156 on: March 23, 2022, 05:27:38 pm »

What struck me about it was that a law was needed to allow interracial marriage.

Actually, a U.S. Supreme Court ruling (Loving v. Virginia, 1967) was needed to invalidate the laws prohibiting interracial marriage that were still in effect at the middle of the 20th Century in a number of the individual states.

There is patently no legitimate overriding purpose independent of invidious racial discrimination which justifies this classification. The fact that Virginia prohibits only interracial marriages involving white persons demonstrates that the racial classifications must stand on their own justification, as measures designed to maintain White Supremacy. We have consistently denied the constitutionality of measures which restrict the rights of citizens on account of race. There can be no doubt that restricting the freedom to marry solely because of racial classifications violates the central meaning of the Equal Protection Clause. . . .

These statutes also deprive the Lovings of liberty without due process of law in violation of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men. [citations omitted]

The personal story of the Lovings (sic) is interesting—that really was the name of the couple that brought the appeal to the Supreme Court—and the case is an interesting study in federal constitutional interpretation.  The Court's opinion is well worth reading in full.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14157 on: March 23, 2022, 05:29:56 pm »

Actually, a U.S. Supreme Court ruling (Loving v. Virginia, 1967) was needed to invalidate the laws prohibiting interracial marriage that were still in effect at the middle of the 20th Century in a number of the individual states.

The personal story of the Lovings (sic) is interesting—that really was the name of the couple that brought the appeal to the Supreme Court—and the case is an interesting study in federal constitutional interpretation.  The Court's opinion is well worth reading in full.

Oh I see, thanks very much.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14158 on: March 29, 2022, 09:38:06 pm »

Donald asks Vladimir for help, https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/29/trump-putin-hunter-biden-00021223.

I guess he didn't think Vlad was very busy this week.
--
Robert

dreed

« Reply #14159 on: April 01, 2022, 10:15:29 am »

McClatchy reported:

Because even if it costs more, it makes those positions into political appointments rather than to function as they do now as public servants that are shielded from politics. Therefore Rand Paul and others in politics can exercise power over those directors whereas now they have no power with respect to Dr Fauci.

The Republicans have become the "Government Of Power" - what they seek is power and when they've got it, more of it.
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 808   Go Up