Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 21 - coming to a computer near you soon...!  (Read 13166 times)

Ray Harrison

Re: Capture One 21 - coming to a computer near you soon...!
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2020, 06:18:05 pm »

Agree about the league times, confused about the Dec 19 release
https://www.dpreview.com/news/9758471894/capture-one-teases-upcoming-capture-one-20-update-including-new-heal-and-clone-brushes

Your point regarding Affinity is well put, the photography I do doesn't use much from PS and I've been a very happy Affinity user for 18 months now..

But what concerned me was the Capture One PR vehicle...  it staggers me that after putting so much work on their software to make it much easier for people to move from LR... which is to still be applauded, they make these gaffs...

Like many football (soccer) fanis in the UK, I've decided to use the money to help feed people this Christmas

For what it's worth, C1 20 was released in December 2019 with some set of functionality I've since forgotten - I think the new basic color editor and a few other things. They released a lot of additional functionality later and that's what the DPReview article is talking about (healing brush, etc).

jeremyrh

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2020, 06:12:35 am »

I’m not a wedding shooter or other who needs “speed” but for me it’s a big plus to be able to do a lot of my work full screen without tool menus obscuring the view or distracting me. Of course others see things differently.

IanSeward

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2020, 10:13:30 am »

I’m not a wedding shooter or other who needs “speed” but for me it’s a big plus to be able to do a lot of my work full screen without tool menus obscuring the view or distracting me. Of course others see things differently.

I think you are right. It's going to seem very antiquated to move your cursor over to a menu panel, click on a slider and pull it left or right. The scroll wheel, if supported helps, but this looks like it will become a standard. Who's going to go back to the old ways after they have experienced this?

An obvious development when you think about it after you see it, but that's always the case :-)

Expect most of the other software apps to follow with their version, "Fast Edits", "Agile Edits", "Accelerated Edits", "Swift Edits", "Rapid Edits", "Quick Edits", "Brisk Edits", "Edit with Alacrity".

Did I get them all, any others?

Ian

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2020, 10:24:28 am »

Who's going to go back to the old ways after they have experienced this?
It's not a feature I like. I prefer to see the whole image with nothing at all in the way, not even a cursor, so separate boxes with sliders works for me.
There's also a way to go with refinement on these features as they're often pretty coarse in adjustments.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2020, 06:42:46 pm »

The faster editing is a very important feature for me.  I have extra hardware (knobs and buttons) to assist in editing, but this is not ideal for on the road.
Speed is important for me.

I'm also waiting to see the new -better- profiles in action.

+1
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ferp

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2020, 06:52:38 pm »

For what it's worth, C1 20 was released in December 2019 with some set of functionality I've since forgotten - I think the new basic color editor and a few other things. They released a lot of additional functionality later and that's what the DPReview article is talking about (healing brush, etc).

This is my view too.  The V20 upgrade was pretty underwhelming at release, but there were significant upgrades since then.  I regard the upgrade fee as buying 12 months of updates, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt for V21.  If that doesn't prove to be the case again over the next 12, I will look at the V22 upgrade more critically.

stevebri

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2020, 03:30:11 am »

This is what I love about this forum, all really good points of view and just by reading them it makes me reassess and review my initial points. 
Thankyou.

Doug_C

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2020, 06:44:55 pm »

Hopefully, when I upgrade to Capture One 21, it will - during the installation process - request (again) full permission for accessing the Mac OS, RAM, drives, etc. Saying YES to these various permissions must be mandatory for tethering a Nikon D850 to Capture One - something I've had no luck in achieving.

Dinarius

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2020, 11:12:44 am »

Next feature preview live at 17:00 GMT, 18:00 CET, 12:00 EST.

That's in less than an hour, for those interested.

D.

jeremyrh

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2020, 02:49:16 am »

Next feature preview live at 17:00 GMT, 18:00 CET, 12:00 EST.

That's in less than an hour, for those interested.

D.

A massive hype for a dehaze tool - and I say that as a C1 fan who already paid for 21 !!

Rhossydd

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2020, 03:49:54 am »

A massive hype for a dehaze tool
Lightroom has had that for how long ? DXO has an excellent dehaze tool and you can buy that outright for the price of C21 upgrade.

jeremyrh

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2020, 04:06:23 am »

Lightroom has had that for how long ? DXO has an excellent dehaze tool and you can buy that outright for the price of C21 upgrade.

Yeah I bought DxO largely because of that. It has some great tools but somehow I can't get comfy with it though. C1 has an interface that suits the way I work - it feels "right", and now the "speed edit" improved that further (for me).

Rhossydd

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2020, 04:14:22 am »

Yeah I bought DxO largely because of that.
I nearly fell for that and the good new noise reduction, but other aspects stop me from putting the money down.
For me I still find CO's interface clunky and slow compared to LR, great colour editing certainly, but LR continues to win on being a 'one stop' productivity shop.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2020, 07:04:08 am »

A massive hype for a dehaze tool - and I say that as a C1 fan who already paid for 21 !!

Yup, wasted 30 minutes watching that, hoping beyond all hope that there was more than a single tool (which adobe has had for ages) to talk about.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2020, 08:48:34 am »

What are examples of functionality that people are looking for? Obviously they're not going to please everyone and I don't think (yet) they're trying to be LR II for people who don't like Adobe's subscriptions. That said, there are a fair number of LR people exploring C1 and are obviously wanting some of the comforts of home  :)

As for whether to upgrade, for me, keeping my key software and hardware up to date is like car maintenance. It's already baked in to my yearly budget so I just do it. It's a drop in the bucket compared to most everything else. I also don't personally have a problem with software subscriptions.

Personally, I'm not looking for a one-stop shop. It's actually one of the numerous things I don't care for with LR, along with its (for me) speed, default rendering for my Nikon, Fuji and P1 files, module-based approach, hideous tethering, limited customizability and UI choices. For things like stacking or stitching, I prefer Helicon and PTGui as I feel they give me better results than one-stop-shop tools. I don't really do HDR but should I need to, Photopshop has worked great for me in the past and I've also used Photomatix Pro.  Photoshop for pixel-based editing.

For C1, I want them to focus on improving noise reduction for when I need it, lens profiles, default rendering, diffraction correction, speed, better catalog performance for those who use them, etc. Continue improving color editing. Continue to improve layers. Continue to improve masking and brushing. I want an iOS/iPadOS version for easier tethering in the field and I want them to get going on an Apple silicon version. I'd like them to improve their plugin SDK and capability. It's pretty hideous to work with at present for those wanting to write a custom plugin. Those are things I can think of off the top of my head, in no particular order.

All of these things - the annoyances I find with LR and the things I do like and want continuous improvements on in C1 are simply personal preferences. Luckily there are plenty of choices in the market to find a tool that best suits how I wish to do things. Any tool can produce superb results in the right hands. This is a golden age of raw editors and photo editing in general. There's a choice for most tastes and budgets out there!

Ferp

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2020, 07:50:02 pm »

You can add Affinity Photo to the list of programs that already has a dehaze tool.  USD50 less 30% for Black Friday.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2020, 04:49:39 am »

I've just had a quick skim through the comments and just wanted to say thanks for the feedback.

I am glad that Speed edit is not just seen as speed, but just a more immersive way to edit.

I personally don't see the logic of NOT adding xxx feature just because another application has a similar feature.  Otherwise progress would be somewhat stunted. ;)

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2020, 04:52:21 am »

Hopefully, when I upgrade to Capture One 21, it will - during the installation process - request (again) full permission for accessing the Mac OS, RAM, drives, etc. Saying YES to these various permissions must be mandatory for tethering a Nikon D850 to Capture One - something I've had no luck in achieving.

Hey Doug,

It's an easy fix.

System Pref>Security and Privacy>Files and Folders.

Make sure Capture One has access to the items.  Boxes should be checked.

You can also run a terminal command which will kick in the permission request.

Read this article top to bottom..

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002727817-For-users-running-macOS-Catalina-tethering-updates-and-other-things-you-need-to-know

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

IanSeward

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2020, 05:07:23 am »

You can add Affinity Photo to the list of programs that already has a dehaze tool.  USD50 less 30% for Black Friday.

Affinity Photo works well as an external pixel editor with C1. Just remember that if you want to further edit the Tif that's returned to C1 from Affinity to use the "Open With" command rather than "Edit With" as that avoids generating a new Tif file, unless that's what you want to do :-)

Ian

IanSeward

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2020, 05:21:31 am »

I've just had a quick skim through the comments and just wanted to say thanks for the feedback.

I am glad that Speed edit is not just seen as speed, but just a more immersive way to edit.

I personally don't see the logic of NOT adding xxx feature just because another application has a similar feature.  Otherwise progress would be somewhat stunted. ;)

I wouldn't be to bothered by the Dehaze comments. DXO where the first people to introduce a Dehaze slider although they call it Clear View and everyone went meh! LR followed with their version (dehaze) and sliced bread had been reinvented :-) It just means the, "I can't switch to C1 because it hasn't got a Dehaze slider" comments are now invalid. :-)

C1's implementation does look a little different though as it appears to have more "creative" possibilities with the inclusion of the "Haze" colour picker, combined with the ability to apply locally. It will be interesting to experiment with if I upgrade.

Ian
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up