Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr10 is out  (Read 4797 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Lr10 is out
« on: October 20, 2020, 10:10:35 am »

Not much of great interest. The upgrade catalogue naming has improved, encouraging users to include the LR version number - so instead of Catalog-2-2-2-2 you'd have Catalog-Lr10. Also split toning has been upgraded to Color Grading - see https://blog.adobe.com/en/2020/10/20/introducing-color-grading.html

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Lr10 is out
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 11:20:08 am »

Not much of great interest.

Any idea what the reasoning was behind the bump to a new major release number?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 11:49:58 am »

Well, there is a database upgrade, but version numbers are probably part of wider marketing/presentation issues.

Annoyingly, they also changed the OS requirements for LR and other apps, following their 3 versions back policy, so on Mac it's now 10.15. Maybe they have a good idea of users' kit, but I really wish they'd work harder to avoid bumping up the OS requirements.

MBehrens

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 01:20:51 pm »

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 06:24:25 pm »

The scrubby zoom feature is nice, and long overdue!
I’m also seeing some performance improvement in general.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 06:59:30 pm »

I’m also seeing some performance improvement in general.
Scrolling in Grid should be much better. Could still be faster but, progress.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jwlimages

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 10:56:56 pm »

Annoyingly, they also changed the OS requirements for LR and other apps, following their 3 versions back policy, so on Mac it's now 10.15.

Hmm, Victoria the "Lightroom Queen" said Mojave is supported, so that would be OSX 10.14, actually. I sure hope she's correct because I'm trying to fend off Catalina as long as possible...

John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 03:35:42 am »

You are right - I'd written the recommend spec - but the point remains that they've dropped 10.13 for no obvious benefit to users.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 10:29:53 am »

Then there’s macOS “Big Sur” due soon. I have adjusted my update setting on my iMac to notify instead of auto update so I do not get caught of guard like Catalina.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 01:30:30 pm »

LR10 is taking a lot longer to load than the last version of LR9.  Admittedly it is on a fairly old i7 PC with a spinning HD not an SSD.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 05:22:57 pm »

I use Mojave on my laptop and the new LR seems to work just fine. It's also nice to see that there's now a profile for my beloved Voightlander 50mm f/2 APO-Lanthar.

I always try out any significant new release on the laptop before putting on the "big" machine, my desktop, formerly a 2103 Mac Pro (trashcan) and now a 2020 iMac 27." I wait a week or so, read the relevant internet stuff, like this forum, for things that might make me want to wait a bit longer. If all looks well, I go ahead.

I agree, it's evolutionary, a few nice features, nothing earth shattering. But now it's getting harder to think of improvements that would be radical. I get frustrated by folks who are unhappy with the processing tools we now have from Adobe and others. The same people who spend thousands on cameras and lenses and then don't even make a physical print are often the loudest about spending US$120 per year on some genuinely magical tools that are regularly updated.  Compared to a mere decade ago, and compared to film and the darkroom, we can now produce work that was genuinely impossible in the past. I'm not an Adobe fanboy but appreciate what they've accomplished and don't see them as some sort of evil empire.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 07:19:08 pm »

I get frustrated by folks who are unhappy with the processing tools we now have from Adobe and others.

Just ignore them.

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 12:23:41 pm »

Lr 10 is running quite nicely on both my iMac and MBP running Catalina 10.15.7

I like the new features, especially "Color Grading", and what seems like a bit of an improvement in performance.   
Regards,
Ron

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 02:22:46 am »

I seem to have a bug with it while using a preset. I have one that sets a few things, and white balance to daylight (5500/10). After selecting the preset, the white balance says daylight, but the numbers don't match, for example, it might stay on 5700/15 or something. I did try creating fresh preset, but same outcome when using it. Interestingly, when I mouse-over the preset, it shows the white balance in the image changing to daylight, but actually selecting it doesn't achieve it.

kevk

• Kevin Kucks Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 08:39:41 pm »

Sadly (for me anyway) this is the first LR (and the rest of this bunch of CC updates) that will not install on Windows 7. I'm stuck with Win 7 as I have not managed to update to Win 10 AND have the ancient HP Z3100 drivers behave with the LR print module - saved prints do not "save" the driver config settings for the print.

(By the way, I may be the last person still using it, but Microsoft still "support" Win 7 with monthly security updates)

Kev

Hmm, Victoria the "Lightroom Queen" said Mojave is supported, so that would be OSX 10.14, actually. I sure hope she's correct because I'm trying to fend off Catalina as long as possible...

John

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 06:56:04 pm »

Should I assume there's no upgrade to LR v.6 licensed?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 07:21:17 pm »

Should I assume there's no upgrade to LR v.6 licensed?
Correct.  Adobe is not supporting it any longer.  When I bought my Nikon Z6 I had to update to the new version as LR6 had no camera support.  Not only that but I also had to update to Windows 10 as the CC version did not run on Windows 8.1.  It's OK with me as the new version has a lot of new features I find useful.

hubell

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 03:58:57 pm »

I am very disappointed to say the least with the "upgrade to LR 10.0. TNot sure why, but I have gone from LR performance that has always been quite snappy on my 2013 Mac Pro to a constant case of spinning beach balls as I scroll through images in my catalog. My files are both FF and medium format raws and large TIFFs. I have a 2013 Mac Pro running OS 10.14.6. I will see if I can downgrade to LR 9. Fisrt time I have ever had a problem upgrading.

kimballistic

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 04:25:59 pm »

The adobe feedback forums are lighting up with bugs of all sorts, including performance issues.  I would definitely hold off.

hubell

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 10:44:57 pm »

I can't dfind my prior version of LR Classic. It appears to have been deleted and it's not even in the Trash.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up