Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr10 is out  (Read 4745 times)

Arlen

Re: Lr10 is out
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2020, 05:26:01 pm »

No problems here so far with the new LR version, and it does seem a little faster on my Windows 10 machine.

As long as I am handing out kudos, one must go to Photoshop. This major for me. The behavior of the Align option for the Clone Stamp has been fixed. Well not really because you will no longer find Align as an option. It has been replaced by a new option that has no name, just an icon of two squares on top offset by two rectangles on the bottom. The hint for this icon is "Use same offset for each stroke". So it does the same as Align when activated.

The problem with Align was that you could not control it. It had a mind of its own. When you selected a target it would sometimes trigger the Align option and sometimes not. Or if you checked and Align was not selected and you proceeded to work and suddenly things got all screwed up, it was because Align was mysteriously activated.

Why is this important to me? Because as I said I do many HDR's and one big problem with them is that are sections of the image that do not get the same intensity as the surrounding area. For example a tree with lots of sky areas showing through the leaves. These areas are often much brighter than the surrounding sky like Christmas tree lights. Another is halos at the horizon. To get rid of these artifacts I use a technique with a blank layer set to darken and the Clone Stamp set to darken at a low opacity. You must know where the target area is so that you can match it with the light area. If you cannot control the target the technique falls apart. You select a target that approximates what the light area should be and brush in until it looks good. It is the only way I know that fixes these artifacts.

Oh crap. I spoke too soon. They dropped the option name for Align and replaced it. But it still has many of the flaws of Align. It turns on the option every time you select a new target, just what you don't want. Means I have to turn it off each time I set a new target. Brushing is usually done with the Wacom pen and that is buggy to. I pick the icon with the pen and it does not change its state. I must use the mouse. Really slows things down.

Plus with the option off, selecting from the same target point, the target is very slow in returning to the original selected point. Means you are brushing thinking that you are using the original selected target but you are not, it has not returned to that point yet and who knows where it is. Unpredictable and uncontrollable.

Damn Adobe!

I sometimes use the same technique you described for removing haloes on the horizon. However, at least on my Windows 10 computer, the Aligned option seems to work perfectly fine, with none of problems you described. And the options look exactly the same in the new version 22 as they did in the previous version 21, with "Aligned" still present and selectable by checking or unchecking the box to the left of that word, in the options bar at the top.

leuallen

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2020, 06:13:18 am »

I sometimes use the same technique you described for removing haloes on the horizon. However, at least on my Windows 10 computer, the Aligned option seems to work perfectly fine, with none of problems you described.

Why me Lord.

Arlen

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2020, 11:52:27 am »

Why me Lord.

I know how you feel. I frequently deal with other head-scratching computer problems that mysteriously pop up. Just thought I would give you another data point in figuring out what's going on.

headmj

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2020, 03:33:04 pm »

So far I am enjoying the new update.  Using Fast I7 win 10 32gb.  It feels faster.  Yes that is subjective.  It starts a little more slowly but non more than a couple of seconds.  Local adjustments also seem to work very smoothly.

Have not tested the color grading but have some captures to try.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2020, 06:59:53 am »

I switched from LR CC to Capture One Pro about 4 years ago after not being happy with LR image quality with Fuji X RAW files. I have since found that with C1Pro, I no longer need expensive LR plugins (NIK, Topaz, etc.) as I can do so much inside C1Pro.

Since switching to Leica M and SL2 cameras and lenses about 3 years ago, I still love C1Pro, now at version 20. I love the customizable user interface.

LR is still much better with their Print module than C1Pro. However, I print with Epson, now a P900, and have discovered the Epson Print Layout app which is fantastic.

To each their own, but I'm sticking with C1Pro.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up