Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr10 is out  (Read 4798 times)

kimballistic

Re: Lr10 is out
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 01:46:55 am »

If you're having trouble with 10.0, you can revert to 9.4 (or even earlier versions) through the creative cloud app.  Navigate to Lightroom Classic and hit the "..." button to explore your options.  Attached is a screenshot of my ability to "uninstall" 10.0 and re-install a variety of older versions.

Please note, though: any edits, imports, moves, or other catalog updates you have made with 10.0 will not be reflected in the older versions.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 01:52:30 pm »

I think the "performance" issues are not related to older hardware only. On my fairly new Windows PC is very unpredictable, sometimes it moves ok but sometimes the lag is totally stupid slow, like I add a brush or a filter and it's showing it 20-30 sec later. The previous version was working fine.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 02:00:59 pm »

I think the "performance" issues are not related to older hardware only. On my fairly new Windows PC is very unpredictable, sometimes it moves ok but sometimes the lag is totally stupid slow, like I add a brush or a filter and it's showing it 20-30 sec later. The previous version was working fine.
On the Mac, maybe not. XCode compilers on macOS were updated recently and it's possible for some, this is what is causing their issues.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

armand

• Photos
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 07:59:45 pm »

I know nothing about the Mac side, as stated in my comment I am talking about windows PC hardware only.
So, on my Windows PC with AMD Ryzen 3900x, 128 GB RAM @ 3200, NVME system drive and all SSD work drive, it is erratically very very slow; it wasn't just before the update, so unless windows happened to update in the background in the same time I blame it on LR itself.

DP

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 08:14:45 pm »

I know nothing about the Mac side, as stated in my comment I am talking about windows PC hardware only.
So, on my Windows PC with AMD Ryzen 3900x, 128 GB RAM @ 3200, NVME system drive and all SSD work drive, it is erratically very very slow; it wasn't just before the update, so unless windows happened to update in the background in the same time I blame it on LR itself.

I bet the blame is LR code vs GPU driver... did you try to roll back GPU drivers or install some newer version ?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 08:49:56 pm »

I bet the blame is LR code vs GPU driver... did you try to roll back GPU drivers or install some newer version ?

Thanks. I just updated the NVidia Studio Driver, and for good measure I also updated the BIOS (because I had nothing better to do). I should figure out by tomorrow if it made a difference.

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 04:51:47 am »

Dogslow here as well.
MacPRO 2013 with ssd 32Gb
Hopefully the tip to revert to the former one works...
cheers
Z

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2020, 06:10:12 am »

thank god, that worked, very annoying they'd put out a major update and it's so bugged...

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2020, 01:51:33 pm »

While I realise that saying "I don't have a problem" doesn't directly inspire those who do, I find that LR10 runs smoothly on my iMac Pro under Catalina, and seems, entirely subjectively, to be generally quicker than earlier versions.

FWIW

Jeremy

jrsforums

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2020, 02:05:24 pm »

While I realise that saying "I don't have a problem" doesn't directly inspire those who do, I find that LR10 runs smoothly on my iMac Pro under Catalina, and seems, entirely subjectively, to be generally quicker than earlier versions.

FWIW

Jeremy

Similar on my Win10/Nvidia system
John

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2020, 05:04:40 pm »

leuallen

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 05:15:18 pm »

I have noticed no slowdown or major bug (yet).

But KUDOS! A bug which has been bugging me for some time has been fixed. Previously when I deleted images, especially a large number, I got an error which popped up a dialog which had to be dismissed (don't remember the wording). It took some time for this dialog to appear and the program was unresponsive until it was dismissed. I delete a large number of images for for each shoot because I am taking sunrises using the HDR panorama feature. Each set of images may be from 25 to 60. There are many sets of images because the sky changes quite rapidly during sunrise and to get the optimum image you must shoot through the sunrise, taking a set of images every couple of minutes. So it is expose a lot, cull, and destroy. I might shoot 600-700 images and keep 80-100.

As long as I am handing out kudos, one must go to Photoshop. This major for me. The behavior of the Align option for the Clone Stamp has been fixed. Well not really because you will no longer find Align as an option. It has been replaced by a new option that has no name, just an icon of two squares on top offset by two rectangles on the bottom. The hint for this icon is "Use same offset for each stroke". So it does the same as Align when activated.

The problem with Align was that you could not control it. It had a mind of its own. When you selected a target it would sometimes trigger the Align option and sometimes not. Or if you checked and Align was not selected and you proceeded to work and suddenly things got all screwed up, it was because Align was mysteriously activated.

Why is this important to me? Because as I said I do many HDR's and one big problem with them is that are sections of the image that do not get the same intensity as the surrounding area. For example a tree with lots of sky areas showing through the leaves. These areas are often much brighter than the surrounding sky like Christmas tree lights. Another is halos at the horizon. To get rid of these artifacts I use a technique with a blank layer set to darken and the Clone Stamp set to darken at a low opacity. You must know where the target area is so that you can match it with the light area. If you cannot control the target the technique falls apart. You select a target that approximates what the light area should be and brush in until it looks good. It is the only way I know that fixes these artifacts.

So there is hope. These two things were long standing problems. Adobe is finally getting around to fixing the small, niggling things. Things that don't get much press but in practice annoy the hell out of you.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2020, 05:15:52 pm »

I've got the last produced MacBook Pro 15” pretty maxed out; all fine on this end. Latest OS.

leuallen

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2020, 05:34:23 pm »

Oh crap. I spoke too soon. They dropped the option name for Align and replaced it. But it still has many of the flaws of Align. It turns on the option every time you select a new target, just what you don't want. Means I have to turn it off each time I set a new target. Brushing is usually done with the Wacom pen and that is buggy to. I pick the icon with the pen and it does not change its state. I must use the mouse. Really slows things down.

Plus with the option off, selecting from the same target point, the target is very slow in returning to the original selected point. Means you are brushing thinking that you are using the original selected target but you are not, it has not returned to that point yet and who knows where it is. Unpredictable and uncontrollable.

Damn Adobe!

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2020, 05:58:43 am »

I'd be interested to compare specs, since the update was making the spinning wheel the norm on my mac. Do you think it could be a mojave issue, in like "it wants to see catalina", or just specs ? hope not.
But the option to reinstall 9.4 saved me. Maybe I'll give it another install, just to be sure.
Or wait for a bugfixupdate?
What do you guys think
cheers
Stephan

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2020, 09:54:52 am »

I'd be interested to compare specs, since the update was making the spinning wheel the norm on my mac. Do you think it could be a mojave issue, in like "it wants to see catalina", or just specs ? hope not.
But the option to reinstall 9.4 saved me. Maybe I'll give it another install, just to be sure.
Or wait for a bugfixupdate?
What do you guys think
cheers
Stephan
It could be bad support for the specific GPU in the trashcan macpro.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2020, 01:26:45 pm »

I am seeing an issue using Command E (Edit in Photoshop) whereby DNG's will not render then load into Photoshop. It will launch PS if not running, but that's it. Drag and drop a DNG, ACR opens as it should. Anyone else? MacOS Catalina.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2020, 04:10:30 pm »

I am seeing an issue using Command E (Edit in Photoshop) whereby DNG's will not render then load into Photoshop. It will launch PS if not running, but that's it. Drag and drop a DNG, ACR opens as it should. Anyone else? MacOS Catalina.

I don't see that, Andrew. DNG, CR2, ARW all work fine, whether or not PS is already running. iMac Pro, Catalina.

Jeremy

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2020, 04:14:10 pm »

I don't see that, Andrew. DNG, CR2, ARW all work fine, whether or not PS is already running. iMac Pro, Catalina.

Jeremy
Thanks. Been an issue in the past, usually fixed by a reinstall in the correct order (LR than PS).

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2020, 02:08:53 am »

I am having problems with the latest version of LR too, and I have a very solidly spec'd modern computer. Unfortunately, I have already done some work with the new version, so I can't go back now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up